PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a LMT 308

Dacam
11-29-12, 08:44
Let me first say that I am totally new to rifle shooting. I started with my Daniel Defense M4 V7, basically rapid fire plinking at 100yds and in.

I then wanted to learn to shoot longer ranges with a bigger caliber 2 months ago. So now I own a Lmt 308 and this heavy beast is a whole lot more fun to shoot than my 5.56 rifle. Its heavy, about 13lbs with optic but I shoot it bench or prone anyways.

So yesterday, a group of friends and I went out to a spot in the desert to do some shooting. I brought out my new steel target bought from Kurt Stone at LV Steel. We set the steel out to 300yds and I went to work at fine tuning my scope. A few rounds later I was banging steel at every press of my Geissele SSA-E trigger. We then set the target back to 500yds and adjusted my elevation another 7moa. "Clang", first round hit at 500yds then ever round after that was a hit, with a slight right to left wind at around 10 to 15mph.

This distance may not seem far by some of you but for me its a big deal. Seeing that white steel at that distance seems so far away, but with the Lmt, its no problem for a newbie like me.
The Lmt has a very good factory two stage trigger but IMHO the Geissele is simply the best. I have the SSD-E in my ar15 as well.

I cant wait to get back out and try 600 and 800yds.

LMT 308
20" stainless steel barrel
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44
Geissele SSA-E
Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/photo.jpg
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/photo1.jpg

Target all painted and new again.
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/Dacam1/photo2.jpg

Yama Arashi
11-29-12, 17:42
Nice work and set-up! Congratulations on the acquisition as well - I'm quite fond of the MRP rifles.

I like the 5.56 rifles, 9mm handguns, etc., but something about the bigger bores in 7.62, 45, or whatever, always make them more fun to shoot, IMO.

Suwannee Tim
11-29-12, 18:51
That's a fine piece of plunder son, 'specially for a noob. You are going to enjoy that.

Yama is right. I'm shooting a newly acquired 416 Rigby tomorrow.

m1ajunkie
11-29-12, 22:07
Very sharp rig. The more you run that rifle the more you will like it. Like you my mws was my first step into a real long range rifle and mine has more than impressed me with its capabilities.

I'm pretty sure you are going to find that steel target is no problem even at 800yds once you get windage figured out.

The_Hammer_Man
11-30-12, 06:15
First things first...

Good man for buying such a good rifle. We here on the forums are more used to reading about how some guy just bought his first AR/AR10 from Bushmaster or the like.

Not LMT :)

Secondly... I'd have been surprised as hell if you DID NOT get hits at those ranges with that weapon.

BTW.. I own the same rifle and I regularly piss off my friends with it. Only difference is that I use Nikon glass.

markm
11-30-12, 06:42
Pappabear has one of those hog legs. Battlecomp on the end of it.

The thing is sick. You'll wear out that steel with some 168 or 175 Sierra Matchkings.

Dacam
11-30-12, 08:49
First things first...

Good man for buying such a good rifle. We here on the forums are more used to reading about how some guy just bought his first AR/AR10 from Bushmaster or the like.

Not LMT :)

Secondly... I'd have been surprised as hell if you DID NOT get hits at those ranges with that weapon.

BTW.. I own the same rifle and I regularly piss off my friends with it. Only difference is that I use Nikon glass.

I credit all the highly experienced members here for the knowledge and advise on the LMT purchase. This is a great site, and will continue to learn more and shoot more!

Doc. Holiday
11-30-12, 09:11
I was about to say the same thing. If you weren't hitting the target at that distance, I would have said it was your fault! haha. Good for you man!

DW68
11-30-12, 09:48
Congratulatons on the purchase. I placed an order for the same gun just a couple of weeks ago:D Since I have some time while I wait, I'm thinking about the glass,scope rings, trigger, and bipod (Harris or Atlas). While I have never used one, the Geissel trigger has a great reputation. Did you try the LMT trigger at all before you changed? Also, which bipod did you go with and how do you like it so far? Any feedback on the choices you made on the components would be appreciated.

Dan

Panoptes
11-30-12, 11:31
I so glad I've ordered this rifle. I'm yet to read even a mediocre review!

Dacam
11-30-12, 11:55
Congratulatons on the purchase. I placed an order for the same gun just a couple of weeks ago:D Since I have some time while I wait, I'm thinking about the glass,scope rings, trigger, and bipod (Harris or Atlas). While I have never used one, the Geissel trigger has a great reputation. Did you try the LMT trigger at all before you changed? Also, which bipod did you go with and how do you like it so far? Any feedback on the choices you made on the components would be appreciated.

Dan

In my opinion, the LMT mws factory two stage trigger is pretty good for being a factory option. The first stage is fairly light and the second stage is fairly crisp. The issue I had with it was it had a fair amount of creep in the second stage before it would break.
The Geissele trigger SSD-E (flat bow) has a very crisp break with no creep at all. The flat bow creates a lighter felt pull, I also have a SSA-# in my ar15. I simply love it.
I also moved my glass from my ar15 to my LMT. Its a Vortex viper pst 2.5-10. Its ok, I would love to upgrade to a nightforce or usoptics for longer ranges.
The bipod is a Harris with Larue qd mount. It does its job. I looked at Atlas but thought it was a little pricey.

DW68
11-30-12, 16:17
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Your rig looks awesome by the way.

Dan

Suwannee Tim
11-30-12, 18:11
I love the sound the 7.62 mm MRP makes when you push the ping pong paddle. Schlooomp! Ain't no 5.56 mm mouse gun sound. When you push the ppp on a 5.56 it goes 'tinkle'. There are a couple of folks making 338 Lapua ARs, I'd love to have one in 416 Rigby or 416 Dakota. Wouldn't that be sweet!

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-30-12, 18:31
I love the sound the 7.62 mm MRP makes when you push the ping pong paddle. Schlooomp! Ain't no 5.56 mm mouse gun sound. When you push the ppp on a 5.56 it goes 'tinkle'. There are a couple of folks making 338 Lapua ARs, I'd love to have one in 416 Rigby or 416 Dakota. Wouldn't that be sweet!

When I got mine I commented on the same thing. The action is so smooth from the get go. With all my other ARs I need to lap and polish the bolt carrier and ch to get anywhere near the same feel. Shows me good machining.

Suwannee Tim
11-30-12, 19:54
I just like the sound of it. And that 16 inch barrel with a flash hider makes one hell of a bang. I'd druther have a 20 inch barrel.

Fenix1442
12-01-12, 18:42
The 16 inch barrel will not bother you anymore once you get a can for it.:D

drsal
12-02-12, 08:59
I picked one up about 3 months ago...awesome weapon and a hell of a lot fun to shoot....problem is I can't decide on an optic for it !

Jake'sDad
12-02-12, 10:06
Congratulations! Sounds like you're having a blast.

Shooting steel way out there with a .308 Semi is addictive. I just picked up my 2nd Colt 901.

I love to A/B between the 5.56 and .308 just to hear the sound on the steel when it hits. Much more satisfying "clang" instead of "tink". The pronounced visual movement is good for immediate gratification as well.

nato762
12-08-12, 19:44
Congrats !

Yep my MWS has sold two more ...always warn someone who wants to shoot it... it is only fair ! I should be getting a commission from LMT !