PDA

View Full Version : HK45 vs USP

Spiffums
11-29-12, 21:52
Is there enough difference in the HK45 to warrant moving to it if you already have a USP 45?

I can't find one locally to shoot and get a feel for to decide if I wanna invest in or or not.

Alaskapopo
11-29-12, 21:55
I used to own and carry a USP in 45 acp. Sold it for several reasons one being the erogonimics sucked. The HK45 feels great in the hand. If I were to get another 45 just for fun it would be the HK45.
Pat

graffex
11-29-12, 22:29
I would say yes for sure as it is definitely a better handling weapon. In fact it is superior in every way IMO. There is nothing wrong with owning both though ;)

FChen17213
11-29-12, 23:25
I think it would depend on how well you like your current USP45. I still like my USP but the HK45 does feel much much better for most of us. You are only sacrificing 2 rounds for much better ergonomics for most people. That being said, if your hands fit the USP great and you shoot it well, why fix something that ain't broke?

I don't know about the newer guns, but when I first got my HK45, it still had the "rechargeable night sights." you had to shine your white light on the sights to charge them. They would glow super bright but dim in a few minutes. I think they came that way due to some weird European laws against tritium sights or something like that.

SkiDevil
11-30-12, 01:44
If you can find an HK USP 45compact it will at least give you an idea in the difference of the grip diameter. The HK45 models are patterned after the magazine from the USP 45 compact.

I was in a shop recently looking at the HK USP 45 and the compact. There is a noticable difference. Like someone else has said, buy the HK45 and keep the USP as well.

There is an article regarding the development of the pistol, HK45. If you have not read it then it is worth a look.
http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-interview-with-ken-hackathorn-and-larry-vickers

Personally, after shooting and handling most of the HK models, I have found that I prefer the compact models.

Yama Arashi
11-30-12, 08:17
You really need to get one in your hands to see how it feels for you.

I prefer the USP. While the HK45 is more ergonomic, it felt too thin in the grip for me from side to side, and the recoil impulse is entirely different. I also felt the factory sights sucked, although that can be remedied easily enough, and you're dropping a couple rounds in mag capacity.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to the USP line, and have far more time on it, but that's my $0.02

Blayglock
11-30-12, 12:38
I would say yes for sure as it is definitely a better handling weapon. In fact it is superior in every way IMO. There is nothing wrong with owning both though ;)

I agree with this hands down.

loupav
11-30-12, 15:55
Plus ONE for "superior in every way!" I love HK45!

The ambi slide release is enough for me to over, I got use to using my trigger finger to manipulate that function.

AJD
11-30-12, 19:12
My Usp45 has a smoother trigger and more crisp break than my HK45. The trigger guard "channel" on the Hk45 also can rub my finger. Ergonomics it's Hk45 in every other regard. I don't mind the Usp grip but I have long fingers.

Blstr88
12-02-12, 07:59
I have small hands and find my USP compacts to fit me much better than the fullsize USP's...so thats what I shoot. The HK45 is quite a bit different than the USP 45, however the HK45 compact is very similar to the USPc...so I personally saw no reason to even consider swapping over.

If you're talking fullsize USP vs HK45 then its worth looking into I suppose, but if you're planning to go from USP compact to HK45c then I think its not really worth the expense.

Rohardi
12-02-12, 10:11
I love my HK45. I made the switch from my USP tactical and I know I mad the right choice. I am however selling my gently loved HK45 package with 2 holsters and switching to 9mm and Glock. I'm just trying to keep everything the same and witch over to Glock and 9mm.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117437

badness
12-02-12, 14:45

Better in every way except magazine capacity. Is losing 2 rounds worth getting better ergonomics? That's basically the decision that you have to make.