PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Front sight post Replacement

originaldubu
11-29-12, 22:45
Just received the Trijicon Front sight post replacement for my Colt 6920 and really enjoy it so far. The installation was easy and quick with the provided tool. So far i've tried in my home with low to no light and with a sure fire kx3, awesome replacement. There is a small difference in size from the factory sight and the dot is a tad low from the actual top of the sight post, something ill keep in mind when firing. Also, I dont plan to add any scopes or red dots for a while. Any comments or complaints? What about rear sights such as the TROY rear BUIS w/ 2 tritium dots? Thanks.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/60498#

WillHines
11-30-12, 01:16
Bear in mind that a tritium rear sight is going to put those vials very close to your eye. It won't be like a handgun, which is held at arms length.

ImBroke
11-30-12, 09:07
After trying the Trijicon front and rear on my AR year ago I suspect that the rear tritium is just there for you to be able to find the rear aperture in low/no light rather than to use the dots for aiming. When looking through the rear sight, the tritium is a large indistinct bloom.

Kain
11-30-12, 11:41
Have the Trijicon front post on one of my ARs, was on my BCM with an ACOG until I shouldered that bitch in low light, now it resides on my backup rifle with an Aimpoint, which it really belongs on. Anyway, bought the front and rear sights and tried them the front has worked well(After I turned it around with the tritium facing me, 'why no glowy thingy?') and for finding the post in low light and for close range I think it works well, personal thoughts is that the dot being a little low for close range work isn't bad since it will bring your aim slightly up and compensate for the gun being zeroed at longer range, but that is my thoughts and I really haven't run it hard yet to test that, besides I have been using the Aimpoint mostly.

That said, tried the rear sight with the tritium in it and while not completely useless it is not like a handgun with three dot sights. Tried, ran it for a few sessions and dumped it. I like the front post but the rear sight has sat in my safe for over a year now. I would save the money and buy some ammo over the rear appatture with the tritium inserts.

currahee
11-30-12, 12:09
I am curious that, if you use a tritium front sight in conjunction with a RDS, will the tritium be a distraction?

I don't find a normal post to be a distraction.

originaldubu
11-30-12, 12:52
Bear in mind that a tritium rear sight is going to put those vials very close to your eye. It won't be like a handgun, which is held at arms length.
Didnt even consider that, makes sense.

originaldubu
11-30-12, 12:57
After trying the Trijicon front and rear on my AR year ago I suspect that the rear tritium is just there for you to be able to find the rear aperture in low/no light rather than to use the dots for aiming. When looking through the rear sight, the tritium is a large indistinct bloom.Makes me wonder why they would use the 3-dot configuration and not just a simple stripe or line at the center line of the rear sight. :confused:

Kain
11-30-12, 15:26
I am curious that, if you use a tritium front sight in conjunction with a RDS, will the tritium be a distraction?

I don't find a normal post to be a distraction.

No issues on my end with a red dot, an ACOG it with a fixed front sight post the little glowing dot shows up like a smudge in very low light, but in my aimpoint I haven't had an issue. Now granted I am running a 1/3 cowitness currently so... with an absolute cowitness it perhaps could be an issue since the front post will be much closer to the dot.

BillSWPA
11-30-12, 15:33
How wide is the Trijicon front post as compared to a standard A2 front sight post?

I have Trijicon sights on the handguns I use for serious purposes and would not use anything else. However, I previously had an Ashley tritium front sight on my rifle. It was wider than the standard post, and caused considerable losses in accuracy in good light conditions.

If I could find a low light solution without that disadvantage, I would be very interested.

Kain
11-30-12, 16:21
How wide is the Trijicon front post as compared to a standard A2 front sight post?

I have Trijicon sights on the handguns I use for serious purposes and would not use anything else. However, I previously had an Ashley tritium front sight on my rifle. It was wider than the standard post, and caused considerable losses in accuracy in good light conditions.

If I could find a low light solution without that disadvantage, I would be very interested.

Here are a pair of quick pictures, though they suck they should show the width difference. its small but still there. Hope this helps.

originaldubu
11-30-12, 18:43

If I could find a low light solution without that disadvantage, I would be very interested. I could not tell the difference comparing the two other than the fact the Trijicon is longer from the surface of the tritium side to the opposite surface side. Regardless of minute size differences you can see your front sight so much easier in low to no light conditions. Usually its a black sight post against a black background, now its a small clear green dot on a black background.

BillSWPA
11-30-12, 20:45
Here are a pair of quick pictures, though they suck they should show the width difference. its small but still there. Hope this helps.

Thanks! The width difference is smaller than I would have thought.