PDA

View Full Version : Platforms and gear for training when ammo is short

huntgrouse
11-30-12, 12:11
I am currently deployed to A-stan again (for a year) I run a small team advising the ANCOP. In theater 9mm ammo is almost non existent where I am. Yeah, even with a good E-7 networking the NCO inner circle, it just isn’t available. The ODA has none to spare, even with some good trade bait.
so, that leaves the following options; DRY FIRE, air pistol and laser.
Dry fire provides trigger time and is utilized. it does not provide downrange feedback of impacts.
air pistol: there are several CO2 Beretta clones out there. Umarex makes one. I am not really familiar with any of them. any recommendations? Granted, its not 9mm but the size, trigger, sight picture, holster presentations should be similar. and it shoots a projectile that will make a hole in paper and give visual feedback.
laser: the Laserlight laser training system. Who has used it. How well does it work. Plus side is that it is used with our issue weapons.

Looking for ideas, input on these systems. As it stands, given the limited resources I have to get creative and find the 80% solution. Even if I get some 9mm, it wont be enough to do sustained training in any kind of round count over the course of the year.
Trying to make the best of what I can and with my personal funds, which will give the best bang for the buck.

LightningFast
11-30-12, 12:48
Dry fire and/or laser feedback seem to work well.
I dry fire consistently, and have played around with SIRT training pistols. About to order one myself.

Chooie
11-30-12, 13:03
Have you looked into a gas blowback airsoft version of the 92? The magazines themselves have an air chamber that is charged with gas, so when you reload, you don't have to worry about a CO2 cartridge as well. They are the same size and can be close to the same weight as a real gun, and have the same controls.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_WE_WE_M92F_Black_Full_Metal.htm

spare mags
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Magazines_WE_GBB_WE_24rds_M9_CO2_Magazine.htm

BBs
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/BBs_Tools_BBs_MadBull_Precision_0_20g_Match_Grade_BB_4000_rds_Bag.htm

and finally, gas.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Gas_and_Related_Accessories_WE_Top_Gas_1100.htm

I don't know if/how you'll be able to get the gas over there - it's basically an aerosol can. But if you can manage it, this could be a solution for you. The total investment into something like this with 4000 BBs and a few cans of gas should be about the same as a case of 9mm, maybe $200-250 tops depending on how many mags you want with the gun.

Failure2Stop
11-30-12, 13:11
Dry fire.
Lots of dudes make GM with dedicated, focused, correct dry-fire with occasional range time.
It is far more effective than lasers (which can actually harm your eye-focus habits) and BBs (which give a false sense of grip for strings of fire, and inconsistent accuracy/POI).

milosz
11-30-12, 16:17
I'm going to order a SIRT gun when I have the extra cash. I'd really like a dry-fire set-up comparable to my Glock 17 that doesn't require me to break my grip to reset the trigger every time. In my case, it matches the trigger systems of my main guns (PPQ, Glocks). Extra bonus of being able to work draws and reloads with it.

I feel like the laser/eye-focus issue is a training issue - if you don't get lazy and hunt for the dot to confirm, you won't do that when you're really shooting, either.

If I had a traditional DA, I'd probably just dry-fire the heck out of it.

26 Inf
11-30-12, 16:51
Have you ever held/used a Glock SIRT ?

I was jazzed about them and got one for T&E (I did appreciate them working with me on that - since it was for an agency they did send me one, normally they don't).

I was 'kind of' disappointed when I received it, we are trigger reset guys and it just didn't give the feel of the real deal. Ultimately we returned it.

They are good to work with and, in my experience have excellent customer service.

For the Glocks I just think you need to either get a 17T (versus a 17R) or use your weapon following proper dry fire protocol. Once again, for emphasis, we drive in trigger reset and the only way that happens is to cycle the slide and reset the trigger.

FWIW