PDA

View Full Version : Glock Trade In - "Blood Gun"

ARonBoard
11-30-12, 13:38
Hey guys.

Found a local dealer that trains armed security guards that has a Gen 3 G17 for sale for a great price. The gun looks new but Ive been told its a "blood gun". Basically it was used in a shooting. He said it already went through ballistics and returned.

The gun is being sold because the guard is changing to a .40 caliber chambered pistol.

So my question is, how does this impact a civilian legally. Should this be a concern that should be avoided or no big deal if the weapon is used legally.

This will mostly be a range gun.

PLCedeno
11-30-12, 13:46
There is no reason not to enjoy the benefits of a great price on this gun-from a legal perspective. Use it as a range, competition or CCW. The real question to ask is whether it is reliable. BTW, im a former Assistant District Attorney.

ARonBoard
11-30-12, 14:01
Thank you very much for the reply.

If I ever choose to resell, would that just require full disclosure?

Anything else necessary?

Dano5326
11-30-12, 14:33
look up the gun-fax report

whiterabbit05
11-30-12, 15:23
^good one

ARonBoard
11-30-12, 15:37
I have a buddy who is local PD. Ill just have him run it through the system.

Thanks guys. Going to pick it up. Ill post a pic just for S & Gs.

ST911
11-30-12, 15:48
I've had a number of guns that were formerly evidence guns sold to dealers. I've also had a number of suicide guns over the years.

If such history bothers you, don't buy them. They aren't a problem otherwise.

loupav
11-30-12, 15:52
You'll never see one from California. Cali gathers up all evidence guns and destroys them all once or twice a year.

ST911
11-30-12, 15:57
You'll never see one from California. Cali gathers up all evidence guns and destroys them all once or twice a year.

How long has that been the case?

cd228
11-30-12, 16:31
Just because the dealer tells you a story dosen't make it true. Otherwise, if its a good price buy it.

JW5219
11-30-12, 17:22
[QUOTE=ARonBoard;1455772]Thank you very much for the reply.

If I ever choose to resell, would that just require full disclosure? UOTE]

No! legally sold to you, legally owned by you, legal for you to sell it to anyone . legaly of course. ;)

Spiffums
11-30-12, 18:25
You mean my AR that Sitting Bull used to kills Custard from 3 miles away isn't really that gun? :laugh:

Frailer
11-30-12, 18:38
I'd buy a haunted house if the price was right.

SW-Shooter
11-30-12, 19:54
You can always tell when someone from TOS comes over here, there was a similar topic at TOS just a few days ago.

hatidua
11-30-12, 19:58

-exactly!

loupav
11-30-12, 20:03
How long has that been the case?

17 Years apparently.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/la-county-sheriffs-department-to-destroy-8300-weapons-seized-from-criminals.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdJbRDSGSB8

"....put to good use." :rolleyes:

JB326
11-30-12, 21:53

I've thought I was that way too... Till we looked at house for sale that totally gave me the heebs... It had been vacant and on the market for way over a year, and the price was RIGHT. Nothing in the whole place except a crucifix, in a bedroom closet. Later a fireman buddy tells me that fellow fireman's wife had offed herself in that room. That house is vacant to this day...

But I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have a problem with a gun that had killed.

ARonBoard
12-01-12, 09:20
You can always tell when someone from TOS comes over here, there was a similar topic at TOS just a few days ago.

You know I'm "FROM" M4C because Im asking about buying a used Glock not a Carbon 15.

paperchasin
12-01-12, 10:32
Interesting question and was wondering about the disclosure thing myself.

glocktogo
12-01-12, 14:40
I've bought evidence guns before from the local cop shop and never had an issue. I see no reason to "disclose" anything about the history of a gun. So long as it's a legal transaction you should be fine.

Eliakim
12-01-12, 15:03
Buying a second hand "Blood Gun" wouldn't bother me at all as long as it worked reliably. It may be a good idea to clean it up well however and wash your hands.

It's not a gun story but years ago I bought a used car that had been in a wreck and people got hurt in it. They didn't bother to wear the seat belts. I remenber finding chunks of hair and skin in the car because they had gone out through the windshield. The car drove okay after it was fixed up.

I'm sure the Glock will work just fine. Just clean it well.

Alaskapopo
12-01-12, 17:38
Hey guys.

Found a local dealer that trains armed security guards that has a Gen 3 G17 for sale for a great price. The gun looks new but Ive been told its a "blood gun". Basically it was used in a shooting. He said it already went through ballistics and returned.

The gun is being sold because the guard is changing to a .40 caliber chambered pistol.

So my question is, how does this impact a civilian legally. Should this be a concern that should be avoided or no big deal if the weapon is used legally.

This will mostly be a range gun.
Does not matter one bit. I own a shotgun that was used in a suicide. I don't care and it has no way to affect the end user legally in anyway.
Pat

seb5
12-01-12, 17:47
Around here the local PA's office auctions off firearms that are siezed from drug dealers and such. People pay WAY yoo much for these POS's because they were owned by a drug dealer:confused:. People are idiots.

As far as the OP's question, it means absolutely nothing with one exception; if it was used in a crime and sent to a crime lab the ballistics are forever there. If that bothers you then don't buy it, if it doesn't snatch it up.

MistWolf
12-01-12, 23:11
...if it was used in a crime and sent to a crime lab the ballistics are forever there...

That will change as the pistol is shot. That's why "ballistic fingerprinting" is a sham.

Disclosing the fact a firearm is a "blood gun" very often will help it sell quicker

Alaskapopo
12-01-12, 23:20
That will change as the pistol is shot. That's why "ballistic fingerprinting" is a sham.

Disclosing the fact a firearm is a "blood gun" very often will help it sell quicker

Ballistic fingerprinting is one thing but actual ballistics tests are another and they are quite accurate and have helped to put a lot of bad folks in prison.
Pat

djmorris
12-02-12, 09:58
I'm guessing he's trying to make a quick sale by saying the gun has killed before.. you know.. just to add to the "cool factor" ..... If that's not the case, then who cares how many people it has shot and/or killed?

It's also completely legal, so long as it's already been processed through evidence etc, etc.

My bet is he's trying to persuade you into buying it by saying it's a so called "blood gun", though.

AKDoug
12-02-12, 12:01
A large portion of guns in possession of the police as evidence never fired a shot. Piles of guns come into our local Trooper office as a result of crimes committed with them without them being shot, weapons collected in cases where a person dies and they have no next of kin, weapons collected in the homes of convicted felons that aren't supposed to have them, and weapons retrieved in cases where someone was busted for theft of weapons but not all of them were reported as stolen. Even weapons involved in shootings may never have fired a round that struck anyone.

MistWolf
12-02-12, 12:51
Ballistic fingerprinting is one thing but actual ballistics tests are another and they are quite accurate and have helped to put a lot of bad folks in prison.
Pat

What I'm saying is, the "ballistic fingerprint" of a rifle or handgun gradually changes with each shot. The rifling engraving of two bullets fired from the same weapon 500 rounds apart may not match.

The idea that requiring a sample bullet be given to police when a firearm is purchased to help solve crimes is a sham. It would only work if the firearm isn't shot much before the crime is committed

Dionysusigma
12-03-12, 09:38
Are we really debating:

1) Whether to buy a Gen III G17,
2) At a great price,
3) That did exactly what it was designed to do?

... seriously? :confused: :sarcastic:

legumeofterror
12-03-12, 10:24

I suppose you would be one of those "someones" then, wouldn't you?

BBossman
12-03-12, 11:17
Buy the gun, not the story...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

7 RING
12-03-12, 12:08
If you can get it at a good price, buy the pistol.

Tzook
12-03-12, 12:38
It's not the guns fault!!! Buy it, treat it right, and shoot the piss out of it

KrampusArms
12-04-12, 02:29
It may be just me.....

But something like this, a "Blood gun", would just give me the willies. I'm not sure if it would prevent me from buying it, but it would not give me more incentive to.

I've read about people who bought suicide guns before, describing how they had to clean bits of matter & human residue off/out of the weapon.

You all can be super badasses, but that s#@t would creep me out.

noops
12-04-12, 08:35
Well shit, you know it works.

Ba-dump!

sjc3081
12-04-12, 08:42
I own two blood guns a Ruger Police Service Six and a S&W 5946. I was he one who made them Blood Guns and will never sell them. They will be passed down to my son with pride.

A62Rambler
12-04-12, 09:52
As long as the gun didn't malfunction and cause the owner to lose the fight, I wouldn't care. I refinished a shotgun that was found under the seat of 1930 something ford that belonged to a moonshiner. It had been hacksawed to exactly 18 1/2". I wish it could talk to tell it's tales.:D

CAVDOC
12-04-12, 09:57
don't overthink this -the most important thing (kind of required here in NY due to our handgun registration laws but other places probably not) is keep a bill of sale from the dealer to you. Having a paper trail will solve your problem entirely.
I once bought a shotgun from a small shop that (not the shop's fault at all) turned out to be stolen- state police call me say -do you have the gun- yes- I surrendered it to the state police and dealer refunded me.

CAVDOC
12-04-12, 09:59
considering I buy almost all my guns used, there isd no way for me to tell which ones may have been involved in a fight or not, and I don't much care one way or the other.

wl518
12-04-12, 14:56
At the end of the day its a tool. Unless it doesn't work I wouldn't get caught up in its history.

Breadman
12-04-12, 15:11
The only problem I have with this gun is that you have no idea what it's story actually is. You will never get tired of telling folks the story of the "blood gun", but you won't know the story or even if it has one.
Here's how this pans out... "that Glock 17 is a Blood gun"
"really, what happened?", says your friend.
"I have no freakin' idea, but the guy at the gunshop said it was."
See? That story sux. I'm pretty tired of it already.

francis
12-22-12, 01:29
I have a Colt Detective's special that I bought from a retiring NYPD cop who wanted something more modern in retirement.

From my understanding it was used in an off duty shooting during a bar take over in the late 70's.

indawire
12-22-12, 19:09
It's a lump of plastic and metal. Nothing about it has a life of it's own or any past history that transfers to the new owner. If no one told you of it's supposed "blood gun" background it would just be an inexpensive Glock.

Suwannee Tim
12-22-12, 19:47

There was an allegedly haunted house down the street from where I grew up. Several families tried to live there. None were successful.

Blood gun, mud gun. Dope mules are another matter. A friend bought a dope mule at a Customs auction. Flew it to Mexico and back. Customs put the dog on it and the dog predictably enough alerted. He spent a week in jail for Customs to figure it all out. My buddy spend a week in jail, not the dog. If you ever buy a dope mule at auction be sure to allow another four or five thousand bux to have it stripped and pressure washed.

My father had a pistol he squired in Malta during WWII, he traded the cop who had it for a 38. The pistol was 80 caliber, bronze, a caplock having been converted from a flintlock and was originally made about 1745 or 1750. Presumably during it's 200 or so years of service it killed one or several people. No one ever mentioned that possibility.