DD LW 14.5 mid length CHF barrel
Yankee Hill Comp pinned/welded
MI 12” Gen 2 FF rail
Troy folding sights
Vortex strikefire (see budget)
Streamlight TRL-1 used
S&W complete lower ass.
Magpul MAID and VFG

Gun is silly light and handles great; I wanted to keep the thing.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ej22b/IMG_0205.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b196/ej22b/IMG_0209.jpg

SeriousStudent
11-30-12, 18:20
Has he decided on what sling he plans to use yet?

FireCop
11-30-12, 19:43
Don't Know, he is the next state over so I Haven't seen the gun in a bit

Quentin
12-01-12, 01:14
Looks good!

I have a similar "build", DD 16" LW midlength upper on a S&W lower (completed with DD LPK and BCM receiver extension kit). Very light and I call it a Dan Wesson!

FireCop
12-01-12, 14:13
Called my buddy he has not got a sling yet.

Yeah my AR is a pig, I miss having a light gun. Speaking of Dan Wesson, I want a stainless valor, bad.

lunchbox
12-01-12, 15:05
Nice setup Im tryn to do very similar build.

MIDGAPATRIOT
12-01-12, 16:56
Looks good!

Magic_Salad0892
12-01-12, 20:10
S&W complete lower ass.

I don't know why, but that made me laugh.

mig1nc
12-02-12, 05:56
Two thumbs up.

Fracture_U
12-02-12, 08:01
How does he like the Vortex? I almost did not bring it up just so I would not get bashed on too much (lol). Anyways, I know it has no Mil contract and it's name does not start with a popular vowel like A or E, but does it work for your friend for what he uses it for?

fixit69
12-02-12, 15:17
Not a bad build. Simple and to the point. The strikefire is the only questionable "fighting gun" worthy article I see. I have one and I am not that impressed with the quality, but it is what it is. A cheap red(and green) dot to play with. But what do I know...

FireCop
12-02-12, 22:10
This rifle is owned by an Airforce mechanic, it is a toy for plinking. However my friend likes quality stuff and wanted the best he could get for his money. Others told him his 1500 would leave him with a cheap non-mil spec utg equipped gun.

I told him we could get him there, but ran out of cash for optics. That being said, having no frame of reference, he really likes it. I don't.

Jojo66
12-03-12, 02:59
How does he like the Vortex? I almost did not bring it up just so I would not get bashed on too much (lol). Anyways, I know it has no Mil contract and it's name does not start with a popular vowel like A or E, but does it work for your friend for what he uses it for?

Lol yeah I didn't wanna say anything either for fear of being bashed but here goes...I have the strikefire and I like it a lot.does what it's suppose to pretty durable and great warranty.now did I want a aimpoint instead?absolutely but I don't have 400 dollars and probably won't for a very long time

bruin
12-03-12, 15:22
Nice build. Keeping it under $1500 for those requirements can be tricky, unless you score some great deals on the forums and get the jump on Black Friday deals, etc. Don't forget to budget for mags and ammo... these can quickly add up.

Personally, I would have gone for cheaper iron sights and tried for an Aimpoint PRO. PSA had it plus Magpul MBUS rear for under $400 not long ago. A 16" barrel w/ A2 could have saved you a bit there, unless your buddy really wanted to save an inch and a couple ounces. Still, nice work.

FireCop
12-03-12, 21:57
The improvement in balance and "pointability" between this barrel and an m4 cut 16" is actually substantial. Although it heats up quickly, it shoots lights out. I will use this barrel again.

Also the front troy was a freebie I donated to his build and the rear cost $50 from another buddy.