PDA

View Full Version : Boresnake Info.

11-30-12, 18:24
Never used a boresnake, but seems to be a good method. How do you personally use it? What brand, model, etc. do you recommend? Any ones to stay away from? Any tips or advice on usage?

Kokopelli
11-30-12, 18:35
I like them a lot! In the old days I was your classic "over cleaner". Probably wore more stuff out cleaning than shooting.. Anyhow.. I wet the leading edge and brush area with solvent and the tail with oil.. A few passes and I'm good until the next 250 round or so cleaning.. JMO.. Ron

polymorpheous
11-30-12, 18:45
I believe the "Viper" models have been known to break when pulling them through the bore.

Kokopelli
11-30-12, 18:47
I believe the "Viper" models have been known to break when pulling them through the bore.

I've read that as well.. It scares me a little, so I just use the standard Hoppes and replace them often.. Ron

TriviaMonster
11-30-12, 20:08
I don't have any feed back on the rile models, but I have used a 9mm and a .40 version quite a lot. I spray a little bore cleaner on them and make a couple passes. I would say my 9mm version has been used a lot over the course of a year or so and is holding up nicely. I have noticed some of the stitching for the cord loosening up a little, but not enough to weaken it as far as I can tell. I soak mine in the sink with some dish soap every once in awhile.

It's a simple solution for keeping a bore fairly clean on those high round count trips/classes. I have a buddy who uses his frequently for his own cast lead .45s and it seems to do it's job even without solvent.

Ultimate bore cleaning solution? Nah. Good range bag accessory? Absolutely.

sinlessorrow
11-30-12, 20:33
I use my boresnake for a few things.

This is the model I use as I have seen to many issues with the Viper one.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/260083/hoppes-boresnake-bore-cleaner-rifle-22-caliber

Uses:

Put lube on the bronze brushes and run it down the bore 2-3 times to clean the bore.
The thin black string part can be looped around the gas tube inside the upper to clean it.
The large back tail part can be looped around the barrel to clean it.

dth4lf
11-30-12, 20:43
I have one for my 9mm and my AR. They do a decent job for a quick clean-out after a trip to the range between more thorough cleanings.

Dustin Cantrell
11-30-12, 21:18
I have a few boresnakes but what I use most often to clean bores is a PatchWorm. Boresnakes are probably faster, though I worry about them breaking. I think if a PatchWorm broke it would be easier to free from the bore. They're very small and easy to pack with you or in your butt stock. http://20-20.8m.com/patchworm.html

Bmoe
11-30-12, 21:32
I have the "non viper" models. I use them for for my AR and M1A. Mpro7 cleaner down the bore, let it sit for a 30 seconds or so, spray a little more then pull the boresnake through 3-4 times. I have grown fond of them. For 12 bucks replace it once every year or so and I doubt you would ever have an issue.

feedramp
12-01-12, 00:49
I will say one thing: The .308 boresnake runs through an AK like a breeze compared to the .223 boresnake through an AR. The AK 'snake barely requires any real effort to run through, the .223 one in the AR is like pulling a 100lb weight through with one hand. My pistol boresnakes are somewhere in between as far as amount of effort required to pull through. The AR one is just silly compared to any of the others though. No wonder people have broken the pull string on some of them. None of the others require anywhere near as much effort to pull through. (Oh and all of mine are the original ones, no Viper ones or knockoffs.)

Bmoe
12-01-12, 00:51
I will say one thing: The .308 boresnake runs through an AK like a breeze compared to the .223 boresnake through an AR. The AK 'snake barely requires any real effort to run through, the .223 one in the AR is like pulling a 100lb weight through with one hand. My pistol boresnakes are somewhere in between as far as amount of effort required to pull through.

Lol, I agree. I noticed going through my M1A and AK that it is much easier to pull through.

Quiet-Matt
12-01-12, 02:50
I've heard that they are washable? Whats the recommended way of doing this?

polymorpheous
12-01-12, 02:54

I would put them in an old pillow case or something to wash them in a washing machine.
I don't think I would put them in a dryer though.

kiki
12-01-12, 04:14
Always check the barrel after every cleaning, bore snake or cleaning rod...i always check for bore obstruction...just look down the bore!

Dustin Cantrell
12-01-12, 06:56
I would put them in an old pillow case or something to wash them in a washing machine.
I don't think I would put them in a dryer though.

I've washed mine a couple times with no known ill effects. Your pillowcase idea is a good one. Mine haven't gotten tangled around the actuator in the washer yet but I would think there would be a good chance of that happening. I hang mine to dry as you suggested.

I mainly use a bore snake on my shotgun. I also worry about getting sediment or metal shavings trapped in the bore snake and it damaging the bore over time. Maybe I'm over thinking it...

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-01-12, 08:37
Always check the barrel after every cleaning, bore snake or cleaning rod...i always check for bore obstruction...just look down the bore!

Thanks for the heads up! :sarcastic:

Jaysop
12-01-12, 08:38

I have a viper one, there isn't a point in the process in which I'm using it that if the string were to rip off the body, there wouldn't be enough extra sticking out from one side not to retrieve it. I'm using it on 16" uppers as well.

I'm not defending their quality although mine seems decent. I just don't see how people loose them in the barrel.

Jaysop
12-01-12, 08:42

I would put it in a ziplock bag with hot water and detergent. Shake and swish it around. As washer machines get more "efficient" they get less effective :)
At least with the zip lock you can soak it and see what's coming off it. I'd probably use some dawn too.

feedramp
12-01-12, 10:06
That's genius, dude. I never would have thought to wash it like that.