PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Trainer Inquiry

The Rat
12-01-12, 11:01
I'm posting this in a couple other places, so as to get a broad answer sample.

I've been thinking about purchasing a bolt-action .22LR when I get home. Trouble is, I'm not sure which one yet.

The mission profile for it is use as a precision shooting trainer, as well as something to cap rabbits with. A mix of practice and practical. I'd like a 16" barrel, and will be suppressed at some point in the future, a threaded barrel would be nice. I plan to set it up much like Kyle Defoor's everyman hunting rifle (http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/33296189438/everyman-hunting-rifle-adding-a-real-sling-with) in that it will have side-mounted QD swivels and a VCAS sling. I'd also like to mount a rail to one side of the stock (for a light mount) and one on the bottom (so I can use my Atlas bipod via the ADM QD mount.) That stuff will probably be a DIY thing, so I'd like a synthetic stock to work with. It's gonna get dinged up anyways; I don't want to cry about scratches on a nice wood stock. Already have a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mildot scope with mil adjustments on hand that will be used on this.

The two rifles I've been considering for this role are the Savage MkII FV-SR and the CZ452. The Savage would be the obvious low-cost option, since it comes pre-threaded and has a synthetic stock ready for me to butcher. The CZ is more expensive, and looks like it'd require a new stock and barrel threading, which would add up.

From what I keep reading, the CZ is more highly spoken of. The Savage's stock aparently bends quite easily under pressure, and most replacement stocks for it are either wood (blech) or cost much more than the base rifle, like Manners. I've been looking around at various mods like new bottom metal from DIP, but it's all still somewhat abstract to me, as the bulk of my long gun experience is with AR-pattern rifles. I don't want to break the bank on a .22, but I don't want something that's gonna leave me frustrated either. Going with the Savage and modding from there seems like a logical starting point, but I'd like to know what other options are available. Given the above, what would you recommend?

7 RING
12-01-12, 11:23
At my club we shoot rimfire matches out to 200 yards and shoot steel out to 300 yards. It is a good way to hone your skills before breaking out the centerfire rifle. I own a CZ452 Lux and 2 Savage rifles. All three are good shooters. The only caveat is that one of the Savage rifles has a wood stock that will be difficult to bed properly for good accuracy. It is a Savage MKII FV-SR and I did not realize it had a wood stock until after I purchased it. It will shoot outstanding one hole groups at 50 yards, then send a round out of the group to open it up to 3/4" once in a while. Bedding should cure the problem.

The other Savage is a MKII with peep sights and it will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with good ammunition. I recommend Wolf Match Target ammunition for precision rimfire shooting. RimfireCentral.com has a lot of good information about rimfire rifles and I highly recommend checking out the website.

orkan
12-01-12, 11:53
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

There you are.

7 RING
12-01-12, 12:54
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

There you are.

Thanks for the link. I was not aware this rifle was available. I can feel my credit card aching as I type this.

JohnnyC
12-03-12, 01:09
Mine gets delivered tomorrow. I'm hoping it works out as well as I think.

Dustin Cantrell
12-04-12, 00:23
CZ for rimfire bolt gun. I have a 455 Varmint in .22 LR I love. Got a .17 HMR barrel I'm going to put on it tomorrow. :D

orkan
12-04-12, 10:33
For the love of all that is holy... WHY IN THE **** did they have to make them with the safety backwards?

I could never grow to love something in which the safety had to be PULLED to the REAR in order to fire. Were it not for this one fact, I would probably have 6 of them.

WillBrink
12-04-12, 11:10
I'm posting this in a couple other places, so as to get a broad answer sample.

I've been thinking about purchasing a bolt-action .22LR when I get home. Trouble is, I'm not sure which one yet.

The mission profile for it is use as a precision shooting trainer, as well as something to cap rabbits with. A mix of practice and practical. I'd like a 16" barrel, and will be suppressed at some point in the future, a threaded barrel would be nice. I plan to set it up much like Kyle Defoor's everyman hunting rifle (http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/33296189438/everyman-hunting-rifle-adding-a-real-sling-with) in that it will have side-mounted QD swivels and a VCAS sling. I'd also like to mount a rail to one side of the stock (for a light mount) and one on the bottom (so I can use my Atlas bipod via the ADM QD mount.) That stuff will probably be a DIY thing, so I'd like a synthetic stock to work with. It's gonna get dinged up anyways; I don't want to cry about scratches on a nice wood stock. Already have a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 mildot scope with mil adjustments on hand that will be used on this.

The two rifles I've been considering for this role are the Savage MkII FV-SR and the CZ452. The Savage would be the obvious low-cost option, since it comes pre-threaded and has a synthetic stock ready for me to butcher. The CZ is more expensive, and looks like it'd require a new stock and barrel threading, which would add up.

From what I keep reading, the CZ is more highly spoken of. The Savage's stock aparently bends quite easily under pressure, and most replacement stocks for it are either wood (blech) or cost much more than the base rifle, like Manners. I've been looking around at various mods like new bottom metal from DIP, but it's all still somewhat abstract to me, as the bulk of my long gun experience is with AR-pattern rifles. I don't want to break the bank on a .22, but I don't want something that's gonna leave me frustrated either. Going with the Savage and modding from there seems like a logical starting point, but I'd like to know what other options are available. Given the above, what would you recommend?

Was looking at the Savage MKII FV-SR myself as a general plinker and small game gun. Seems like a heck of a deal for the $$$.

mattm0812
12-04-12, 14:42
Savage.

Noodles
12-04-12, 18:30
CZ-455, so much higher quality than Savage, I think even nicer than late model 77/22s.

WillBrink
12-04-12, 18:42
CZ-455, so much higher quality than Savage, .

Considering the $$ difference i would expect so. I think the Savage would cover my needs personally, can't speak for the OP.

orkan
12-04-12, 19:14
I think the Savage would cover my needs personally Savage is pure garbage in comparison to a 77/22... and from what I've seen, CZ's are better than 77/22's with the exception of that damn reverse safety.

JohnnyC
12-04-12, 22:14
Got the CZ yesterday. First impressions are fairly standard for a CZ .22 bolt gun. Fit and finish is fine, bolt isn't too sloppy, locks up tight, safety is very stiff. I know people dislike the direction of the safety but I never use the safety on any of my bolt guns so it's a moot point for me. Just an initial impression, but to me it's clearly higher quality than my Savage 17HMR in terms of fit, finish, and dry-firing function. Trigger pull is fine although I will probably throw a Timney in it, or at least one of those yodave spring kits.

It has a traditional rimfire scope rail on the receiver. I may see if a gunsmith will mill off the rimfire rail and drill and tap the receiver so I can put a rail on it.

The stock is what makes it different from a standard CZ Varmint, it's similar to a Manners T4 inletted for the CZ action. It's very similar to the T2A on my GAP gun, with the obvious differences between the two models. One aspect where it's substantially different is weight of the stock. If you order the stock separate from Manners you can specify the weight to make it comparable, however if you order the rifle as a complete SKU from your FFL be prepared for a discrepancy in weight.

This is just a very basic initial, largely cosmetic, impression. I haven't thrown a scope on it yet and put any rounds through it. When that happens I'll come back and add a performance portion to this post.

7 RING
12-04-12, 22:35
Johnny C,

The cycling of the bolt on your CZ will smooth out, but not get sloppy after shooting it for a while. The accuracy will be good, but it will get even better after you fire 500 rounds through it. The trigger is adjustable on mine, so you might want to check the adjustment on yours before you spend any money on a trigger. Wolf Match Target is the go to ammunition for accuracy in my CZ. CCI Blazer 40g RN SV shoots sub 1" groups at 50 meters and is good enough to practice offhand.

Dustin Cantrell
12-04-12, 22:46
Got the CZ yesterday. First impressions are fairly standard for a CZ .22 bolt gun. Fit and finish is fine, bolt isn't too sloppy, locks up tight, safety is very stiff. I know people dislike the direction of the safety but I never use the safety on any of my bolt guns so it's a moot point for me. Just an initial impression, but to me it's clearly higher quality than my Savage 17HMR in terms of fit, finish, and dry-firing function. Trigger pull is fine although I will probably throw a Timney in it, or at least one of those yodave spring kits.

It has a traditional rimfire scope rail on the receiver. I may see if a gunsmith will mill off the rimfire rail and drill and tap the receiver so I can put a rail on it.

The stock is what makes it different from a standard CZ Varmint, it's similar to a Manners T4 inletted for the CZ action. It's very similar to the T2A on my GAP gun, with the obvious differences between the two models. One aspect where it's substantially different is weight of the stock. If you order the stock separate from Manners you can specify the weight to make it comparable, however if you order the rifle as a complete SKU from your FFL be prepared for a discrepancy in weight.

This is just a very basic initial, largely cosmetic, impression. I haven't thrown a scope on it yet and put any rounds through it. When that happens I'll come back and add a performance portion to this post.

You will love yout CZ, I love mine.

.22 LR group at 50 meters:

http://imageshack.us/a/img145/7234/img0234xn.jpg

.17 HMR group after I installed my barrel today:

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6629/img2107k.jpg

I know it could do much better if it wasn't me pulling the trigger. ;)

Noodles
12-05-12, 09:50
Considering the $$ difference i would expect so. I think the Savage would cover my needs personally, can't speak for the OP.

Not sure where you are shopping but I bought my 455 Lux for $375. I then had it cut to 16", threaded for my can, and had the front sight drilled and taped at the end of barrel again.

All for less than an Aimpoint costs, so don't toss around the cost differ for in 22 rifles as a factor. Buy once, cry once doesn't even apply. It's more like Buy once, shrug once :)

Plus the 455 can be found with 17 and 22mag combo barrels.

WillBrink
12-05-12, 10:02
Not sure where you are shopping but I bought my 455 Lux for $375. I then had it cut to 16", threaded for my can, and had the front sight drilled and taped at the end of barrel again.

All for less than an Aimpoint costs, so don't toss around the cost differ for in 22 rifles as a factor. Buy once, cry once doesn't even apply. It's more like Buy once, shrug once :)

Plus the 455 can be found with 17 and 22mag combo barrels.

I have not looked in any depth, but looking around online I saw the 455 for mid 400$. I can get the Savage, threaded barrel, ready for optics, etc for under $300 all day. $375 seems a good deal for the 455, sounds like you added at least a few hundred to that with additional work done no?

I agree, get the good stuff for your needs. Mine, low cost basic plinker and small game gun . I think the Savage would fill that need/want well enough, but I'll take a look at some others at some point.

Inuvik
12-05-12, 10:36
I know a lot of folks don't like integral suppressors, and these are not cheap, but we are running three of these at work (2 .22 LR and 1 .22 WMR) and are very happy with them. They are very quiet, and while we have not put them on a bench, they seem quite accurate as well.

We are running Rugers, but they are available as CZ rifles as well.

http://www.awcsystech.com/ultraiib.html

WillBrink
12-05-12, 10:43
I know a lot of folks don't like intregal suppressors, and these are not cheap, but we are running three of these at work (2 .22 LR and 1 .22 WMR) and are very happy with them. They are very quiet, and while we have not put them on a bench, they seem quite accurate as well.

We are running Rugers, but they are available as CZ rifles as well.

http://www.awcsystech.com/ultraiib.html

$1495, you aint kidding! :dance3:

Noodles
12-05-12, 12:44
I have not looked in any depth, but looking around online I saw the 455 for mid 400$. I can get the Savage, threaded barrel, ready for optics, etc for under $300 all day. $375 seems a good deal for the 455, sounds like you added at least a few hundred to that with additional work done no?

A few hundred!?!?! No. I put $100 into having my machinist chop and thread the barrel to the Silencerco 22 spec (with O-Ring), then mill and tap the end of that for the front sight... A few hundred :) No, I like the CZ and it's really high quality gun (especially for it's price) but I would never put a few hundred into a 22lr gun a I pain a few hundred for.

I see this CZ in particular as a gun I'll give to my kids and grand kids someday.

Noodles
12-05-12, 12:45
$1495, you aint kidding! :dance3:

For an AWC can even!!!! Noooooo thanks.

Inuvik
12-05-12, 13:47
For an AWC can even!!!! Noooooo thanks.

I get that the price is pretty steep, but aside from that, what is your major complaint with AWC?

Our rifles are super quiet, the machining is top-notch, and the customer service has been outstanding! We use these guns on a weekly basis in some pretty harsh environments, and they have held up and performed well.

I am not definsive, and would love to know of an equivalent but less expensive product, but to date, I have no complaints about these guns besides the price.

The Rat
12-08-12, 04:34
Seems like most places are recommending the CZ over the Savage, so I did some more researching around to see what options were available.

This is appealing in a perverse kind of way. (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3416277#Post3416277)