PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get their BCG coated by WMB, NiBX?

Zane1844
12-01-12, 19:39
I have read the stories of Nib coated BCG's, however, have you guys had yours coated by them? I noticed their advertisement on here. But could not find a thread about people's experience with them.

If I can win the cat and mouse game that has become of purchasing BCM BCG's then I am thinking of getting that one coated by WMB.

nickdrak
12-01-12, 19:56
Either buy a NiBx BCG directly from WMD or buy a BCM BCG and leave it alone. There may be tolerance issues if you try to coat another manufacturers BCG. Im not sure if WMD will coat someone elses BCG anyway.

Zane1844
12-01-12, 20:00
Either buy a NiBx BCG directly from WMD or buy a BCM BCG and leave it alone. There may be tolerance issues if you try to coat another manufacturers BCG. Im not sure if WMD will coat someone elses BCG anyway.

They do do coatings if you send in the BCG. And that is a issue I was concerned with! Thank you!

I always buy extra of everything. So in 10 plus years, if SHTF I will have enough lube to last a lifetime! Or even sooner, I think I will be good.

But not to worry about lube will be great. I've jammed my gun a lot running it dirty and dry, but, I ALWAYS carry a little vile of EWL or LP in my grip!

nickdrak
12-01-12, 20:48
They do do coatings if you send in the BCG. And that is a issue I was concerned with! Thank you!

I always buy extra of everything. So in 10 plus years, if SHTF I will have enough lube to last a lifetime! Or even sooner, I think I will be good.

But not to worry about lube will be great. I've jammed my gun a lot running it dirty and dry, but, I ALWAYS carry a little vile of EWL or LP in my grip!

Still need to properly lube the NiBx BCG's from my experience. I've been running them for the past few years. The main benefits in my view is that it does reduce friction when properly lubed, will run longer without additional lube, and it cleans up easier.

Zane1844
12-01-12, 21:01
Still need to properly lube the NiBx BCG's from my experience. I've been running them for the past few years. The main benefits in my view is that it does reduce friction when properly lubed, will run longer without additional lube, and it cleans up easier.

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that lube is ideal, however, they can go without if need be.

What kinds of NiB BCG's have you used?

They seem very interesting to me, and promising, if I can get a high quality BCG, like a BCM, coated in it. I've read some problems with FZ BCG's, like head space, improper staking, bolt not locking forward, or something of that nature, etc.

For me, the products I buy for my guns is to increase my confidence with the carbine. That I know the parts will work, how they will work, and what it takes for them to fail. The times I jammed my gun without lubing was on purpose, except one time when I was zeroing my Aimpoint- that was due to being a idiot and forgetting to lube.

I am looking at the NiB coating not because "its cool and new, and SHINY," but because I want to have it so that if lubing was forgotten after heavy shooting, like in a SHTF scenario, or if lube was not present, I know the gun will run until I can find some.

Like I tell my friend: "Grandpa always said, when in doubt lube it!"

AKDoug
12-01-12, 21:48
How big of a battle do you plan to get into? I've run 750 rounds between lubing just using car motor oil. Buying a coated BCG just because you "might" not have access to lube seems awful silly.

Zane1844
12-01-12, 21:55
Well, just worst case scenario where SHTF and lube is longer available for some reason. Who knows what can or will happen? And if things get bad like I think they will, that "might" is huge.

But I may just save the money to buy gun oil.

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:06
I just received my BCG and trigger group back from WMD last week. The nickel boron is great. Customer service is pretty good. When I received my parts back, they forgot to send back my dissconnect to my trigger group. A little slow to respond back , but I'm thinking it was because it was thanksgiving day week/weekend. I did get it back though. Everything looks great and I love easier cleanup.

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:11
And the bcg that I had coated was a BCM. I like where your heads at ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that lube is ideal, however, they can go without if need be.

What kinds of NiB BCG's have you used?

They seem very interesting to me, and promising, if I can get a high quality BCG, like a BCM, coated in it. I've read some problems with FZ BCG's, like head space, improper staking, bolt not locking forward, or something of that nature, etc.

For me, the products I buy for my guns is to increase my confidence with the carbine. That I know the parts will work, how they will work, and what it takes for them to fail. The times I jammed my gun without lubing was on purpose, except one time when I was zeroing my Aimpoint- that was due to being a idiot and forgetting to lube.

I am looking at the NiB coating not because "its cool and new, and SHINY," but because I want to have it so that if lubing was forgotten after heavy shooting, like in a SHTF scenario, or if lube was not present, I know the gun will run until I can find some.

Like I tell my friend: "Grandpa always said, when in doubt lube it!"

Zane1844
12-01-12, 22:13
And the bcg that I had coated was a BCM. I like where your heads at ;)

Did it screw with the tolerances? No headspace issue or anything? Was the performance worth the money? And how much was it if you do not mind me asking? I did not see on the site.

Sorry for the 21 questions ;)

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:26
No the tolerances are fine. The money is worth it to me for a couple reasons. For one... Anything that can making cleaning easier is worth it (Time is money to me). Plus knowing that If I can run it without lube (which I would never do If I can help it) I could. Also I know I've done the best thing I can do to prevent corrosion. Things are worth paying for a peace of mind for me. The performance is great so far. With the trigger group also coated the trigger seems smoother. Everything is smoother. The order form is on the website. But for the BCG which includes the hammer it costs $100.00 . Also, don't listen to people that say "I've never ran out of lube between rounds so you don't need to have it coated and just spend the money on extra lube". Well hold on and let me adjust my tin foil hat for a second and say I prepare for when things and supplies may not be so readily available.. feel me?? So you have to decide how much you want to prepare your weapon. So yes it is worth it.

Did it screw with the tolerances? No headspace issue or anything? Was the performance worth the money? And how much was it if you do not mind me asking? I did not see on the site.

Sorry for the 21 questions ;)

Zane1844
12-01-12, 22:33
No the tolerances are fine. The money is worth it to me for a couple reasons. For one... Anything that can making cleaning easier is worth it (Time is money to me). Plus knowing that If I can run it without lube (which I would never do If I can help it) I could. Also I know I've done the best thing I can do to prevent corrosion. Things are worth paying for a peace of mind for me. The performance is great so far. With the trigger group also coated the trigger seems smoother. Everything is smoother. The order form is on the website. But for the BCG which includes the hammer it costs $100.00 . Also, don't listen to people that say "I've never ran out of lube between rounds so you don't need to have it coated and just spend the money on extra lube". Well hold on and let me adjust my tin foil hat for a second and say I prepare for when things and supplies may not be so readily available.. feel me?? So you have to decide how much you want to prepare your weapon. So yes it is worth it.

You think the same as me, peace of mind is priceless! I may just do it. I really want to try it, but knowing me I'd want to put the new BCG in my gun right away while the old one is still good. :p

Well I if I can I will get both coated. Or may just keep the old one as is. Its flawless so far. Just needs lube, like every AR.

Did you purchase the NiB firing pin? It says to take it out on their site. I was wondering if they will coat it if you send it, probably not, I guess.

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:39
wow you do think like me. I have a Daniel Defense V3. I picked up a BCM bcg to have coated though to make sure It was all it was cracked up to be. The DD and BCM bcg seems to be of the same quality.. hell they may be the exact same thing. I wanted to have something on the same quality level as what I had so I could try the NIB-x on it's full merit. But now I have a fantastic Nib-x coated BCM bcg and superb quality DD bcg as a back up. It's a win, win.

You think the same as me, peace of mind is priceless! I may just do it. I really want to try it, but knowing me I'd want to put the new BCG in my good right away while the old one is still good. :p

Well I if I can I will get both coated. Or may just keep the old one as is. Its flawless so far. Just needs lube, like every AR.

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:44
wow you do think like me. I have a Daniel Defense V3. I picked up a BCM bcg to have coated though to make sure It was all it was cracked up to be. The DD and BCM bcg seems to be of the same quality.. hell they may be the exact same thing. I wanted to have something on the same quality level as what I had so I could try the NIB-x on it's full merit. But now I have a fantastic Nib-x coated BCM bcg and superb quality DD bcg as a back up. It's a win, win. I sent the firing pin.. they didn't coat it lol

You think the same as me, peace of mind is priceless! I may just do it. I really want to try it, but knowing me I'd want to put the new BCG in my gun right away while the old one is still good. :p

Did you purchase the NiB firing pin? It says to take it out on their site. I was wondering if they will coat it if you send it, probably not, I guess.

Zane1844
12-01-12, 22:45
Yeah, thanks for your help. I just may do it. But got a new idea, I will get my old one coated, so I can test it out, if I like it then the new BCG will get coated :D

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:48
Sounds like a plan. You just have to get up the nerve to pull the trigger on it. Good luck

Yeah, thanks for your help. I just may do it. But got a new idea, I will get my old one coated, so I can test it out, if I like it then the new BCG will get coated :D

Honorthecall81
12-01-12, 22:49
No tolerance issues. They coated my BCM bcg and trigger group.

badness
12-02-12, 04:15
you're not vapor trail are you?

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 05:24
You know you can literally piss in your rifle to keep it running.
The cost of the unnecessary coating could help pay for a class or more ammo.

Priorities.

El Cid
12-02-12, 06:16
you're not vapor trail are you?

lol! (See sig)

Honorthecall81
12-02-12, 09:09
If you know of a quality carbine class for only 100 dollars. Be sure
and let me know so I can sign up. Doesnt matter where it's located.

Priorities.

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 09:12
If you know of a quality carbine class for only 100 dollars. Be sure
and let me know so I can sign up. Doesnt matter where it's located.

Priorities.

Reading comprehension....
:rolleyes:
$100 would be enough to put a deposit down on most courses.

Honorthecall81
12-02-12, 09:19
Ok I get what your saying. But I have the Nib-x on my bcg. Yes It is worth the money, and no, my priorities are not screwed up. People have different priorities. This coating upgrade is exactly what I was looking for. Peoples needs are different.

Reading comprehension....
$100 would be enough to put a deposit down on most courses.

boomhower
12-02-12, 11:36
I have an NIB BCG and love it. Does it do anything that a regular lubed one doesn't? No, not really other than being easier to clean. For me it's insurance. It's just another layer of protection so that when I pull that rifle out of the trunk it's going to function correctly. To me, that's worth $100. If it was just a range gun, no I wouldn't do it. But it's a work gun, so it's worth it to me.

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 11:42
So why would a standard QUALITY BCG not function correctly if properly maintained and lubricated?

If all the coating does is make the part easier to clean, what's with this peace of mind stuff?
The statements directly contradicts one another.

Zane1844
12-02-12, 11:46
So why would a standard QUALITY BCG not function correctly if properly maintained and lubricated?

If all the coating does is make the part easier to clean, what's with this peace of mind stuff?

That if the BCG is not properly lubed that it will still run. We do not need to go over thousands of scenarios of why and where you will be without lube, and how your bolt got so dry in the first place, we all have our reasons.

I personally carry lube in my pistol grip, along with two batteries for my Aimpoint.

Nib coatings have been ran without lube. That is the peace of mind, that when SHTF and you run out of lube then you can run your gun without worry for a while until you can get some.

Heavy Metal
12-02-12, 11:51
Well, just worst case scenario where SHTF and lube is longer available for some reason. Who knows what can or will happen? And if things get bad like I think they will, that "might" is huge.

But I may just save the money to buy gun oil.

You realize you can buy a lifetime supply of lube today? Old junk car crankcases will be full of oil too.

That said, I certainly have nothing against the coating but the odds you will not be able to obtain a lubricant in your lifetime is pretty much zero.

boomhower
12-02-12, 12:04

Sometimes things happen and I don't lube it religiously like I should. It happens. NiB is another barrier of protection.

TacMedic556
12-02-12, 12:07
I went through this dilemma a few years back. Here is what I did:

Bought one.
Sold one.
Bought a BCM.
Never looked back with regret.

Do a search on this forum. NiB BCG and the miracle whip coatings have been discussed ad nauseam. I myself have participated in the great NiB debate.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87587&highlight=EXO+coating

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109255&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95379&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102495&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92556&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50505&page=4&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53536&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53625&highlight=nickel+boron

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78366&highlight=EXO+coating

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71836&highlight=EXO+coating

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57003&highlight=EXO+coating

There are many more threads on the topic of EXO/NiB/Fail Zero/Snake Oil/Miracle Whip/Whizz Jizz Super Juice

After reading it all and digesting it already, I will save you time and money: Get a BCM BCG and wet it with some lube.

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 12:30
How big of a battle do you plan to get into? I've run 750 rounds between lubing just using car motor oil. Buying a coated BCG just because you "might" not have access to lube seems awful silly.

Right.
If one is so worried about getting into a HUGE firefight, all the snake oil gear in the world ain't going to do jack.

Training on the other hand....

These new members, I swear!

AKDoug
12-02-12, 12:36
I don't want to be another snake oil salesman, but a good coating of a lube like FrogLube or Fireclean will allow even a standard bolt to be wiped clean after shooting. A 2oz bottle of Fireclean lasts a long time. At my current rate of use, cleaning after every 500 rounds (or more), a 2 oz bottle will last as long as the barrel on my DDM4.

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 12:39
Sometimes things happen and I don't lube it religiously like I should. It happens. NiB is another barrier of protection.

It has been well established that no, it is not.
You still need to lube a nickle boron BCG.

In case anyone cares to learn something today:
http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 12:40
I don't want to be another snake oil salesman, but a good coating of a lube like FrogLube or Fireclean will allow even a standard bolt to be wiped clean after shooting. A 2oz bottle of Fireclean lasts a long time. At my current rate of use, cleaning after every 500 rounds (or more), a 2 oz bottle will last as long as the barrel on my DDM4.

After I wipe my BCG's down, they are still very slick from the FrogLube.
It's a good product.

Airhasz
12-02-12, 12:40
Right.
If one is so worried about getting into a HUGE firefight, all the snake oil gear in the world ain't going to do jack.

Training on the other hand....

These new members, I swear!

Let em purchase all the insurance parts they want, it drives the industry and the economy. Shooting sport is one of few industries thriving today in this country...:big_boss:

Zane1844
12-02-12, 12:43
I never said anything about not training. I first asked if anyone has tried the company. Then people turned this into: "oh he is thinking about NiB coating, he must not train, he must just want fancy cool things, ah what an idiot."

I get it, you think it is a waste, I was wondering how the companies quality to produce proper NiB coating to see if I like it. I personally buy products for my weapon in order to be able to fight with it without malfunction. Who knows when you may just have to use your gun?

I know training is most important, I look at carbine training the same as my MMA training, you will be stupid to get into the cage without knowing proper technique!

People also say my priorities are not straight because I want that coating, I was thinking it was on the right track of keeping your weapon reliable, you do not think so? Thank you for your advice. I honestly like the responses I get, but I do not want everyone think I am just some stupid guy wanting all the "tacticool" stuff I can buy.

I take gun training very seriously. I have not been able to go to a professional classes, for many reasons right now. But I do go to the desert at least once a month to sharpen the fundamentals I can.

polymorpheous
12-02-12, 12:45
Read the link I posted from Mike Pannone.

Zane1844
12-02-12, 12:46
Read the link I posted from Mike Pannone.

Thanks I will.

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 14:28
As someone was kind enough to point out. There are numerous threads discussing and debating this issue.