PDA

View Full Version : Who should build my 1st AR15/M4 upper?

Geoffrey
02-19-08, 13:59
Hi all. I am finally going to build/buy an AR15 rifle.

Here are my upper specs:
M4 Flat Top upper receiver w/Charging Handle
BCM or other high quality BCG w/ Crane O-Ring, black insert, properly staked
Daniel Defense 9 lite rail w/ DD Gas Block OR TROY 10" Rail w/ Troy gas block
14.5" or 14.7" M4 type barrel 1/7 twist w/ Extended A2 Flash Suppressor OR Vltor FS OR YHM 5C1
Gas Tube, with Either mid length or carbine length gas system
All Mil-Spec chrome lined etc...

Who are some builders I should consider?

Any suggestions for things to change or add?

Thanks.

MassMark
02-19-08, 14:16
www.anvilarms.com - drop Jon Kruger a line....

Pat_D
02-19-08, 14:43
Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with Robb at Virginia Arms. In addition to being a wealth of knowledge, he most probably has all the parts you need in stock. Most on this board know him as GotM4. He put together my 10" upper and is in the process of building me up a 14.5" one. Very high quality work and I couldn't be happier. Call me bias if you will because he's my teammate, but GotM4 will build you a top quality upper.

tkoglman
02-19-08, 17:00
If I could throw in my two cents.

It seems to me that you are looking at putting together a top of the line AR. If this is true, you will likely spend around $1000 just for the rifle and another $500 or more for the optics. Then, throw in magazines, sling, case, and other accessories and you will be close to $2000.

If you are willing to spend that much money, I would suggest another $250 to make it a short barrelled rifle.

I just went down that road. I started with a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider. Not two months later I knew what I really wanted was a SBR.

Geoffrey
02-19-08, 18:27
I had/have thought of going the SBR route but I don't really want to deal with the paper work and wait.

I think the 14.5 made out to 16" overall will work well for me.

SuicideHz
02-19-08, 18:45
How about buying an LMT from Grant. He's probably got some leftover from the specials he ran in December.