PDA

View Full Version : Colt le6920ca

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 16:23
Its my first post here. I recently purchased a colt LE6920ca and am waiting for the 10 day period to expire sorry no pictures. I got the 20 cause it was what I carried in my patrol car. Anyway I am thinking of getting a 6940 cause of the rail system. Want to mount the light, aim point and I'm not sure what else. Am I able to just buy the upper 6940 or do I need the lower too? The 6940ca models are hard to find and priced at about 1500-1600.

Zane1844
12-02-12, 16:25
Can you just buy rails and install them on your upper now?

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 16:57
I'm not sure. Guess I'd have to chane the heat shields out and remove the handle

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 16:59
I also want to get an AR10 before the POTUS official weapons list comes out.

JoshNC
12-02-12, 17:01
I also want to get an AR10 before the POTUS official weapons list comes out.

POTUS official weapons list?

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 17:09
Dirty Dirt,

Please don't start with the POTUS ban nonsense.

As to your original question. There are a variety of rails that can be dropped into your Colt by removing the handguards and don't require gunsmithing. There are other rails that require more detailed work such as removing the FSB, etc... The 6940 is not something I would buy and it is not very user friendly (IMO) and is not easily worked on or modified.

I suggest that you do some reading about the pros and cons of various rails and free-floating vs. non free-floating.

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 17:12
Copy will do

Bmoe
12-02-12, 18:02
Dirty Dirt I am in CA as well so I get the limited quantities thing. I would keep your 6920, you have lots of great options with it. Look into Daniel defense drop in rails, you bought a great rifle no need to not put good quality equipment on it. The Daniel Defense Omega rail is extremely popular. As far as the Aimpoint for it, the carry handle literally comes off in 10 seconds to expose your flat top. Lots of good advice on this board.

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 18:08
Thanks Bmoe.

1859sharps
12-02-12, 20:37
Also, ask your self why you want a rail system. Don't just put it on "because" or everyone "does it". be sure YOU have a purpose or reason that makes sense for you.

For example, for my self I like to keep things simple. About the only thing I would use a rail system for is to mount a light. And with something like a mossie mount the rail is no longer something I need just to have a light.

fdxpilot
12-02-12, 20:40
My 6920 has a Magpul MOE handguard with an IWC light mount, and as mentioned, a scope on the flat top after removing the carry handle.

My first couple ARs had very nice quadrails (Daniels Defense,) which had lots of rail space and looked oh so cool. Along the way, I have found I don't need most of that rail space, or the extra weight. All my recent ARs except my new Troy with its Alpha rail, have Magpul MOE handguards. Low cost, good design, with enough slots and dedicated accessories to accomodate most reasonable configurations.

fourXfour
12-02-12, 22:10
My 6920 has a Magpul MOE handguard with an IWC light mount, and as mentioned, a scope on the flat top after removing the carry handle.

My first couple ARs had very nice quadrails (Daniels Defense,) which had lots of rail space and looked oh so cool. Along the way, I have found I don't need most of that rail space, or the extra weight. All my recent ARs except my new Troy with its Alpha rail, have Magpul MOE handguards. Low cost, good design, with enough slots and dedicated accessories to accomodate most reasonable configurations.

+1 on just getting a Magpul MOE handguard. The IWC light mount is great and a Magpul MOE vertical grip if you need one. I have a few rifles with rails everywhere, the MOE fits my needs just fine.

I wouldn't be too worried about POTUS or any pending federal legislation. We have a democratic supermajority in California, god knows what legislation is coming our way. I highly suggest buying a few more rifles this year.

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 22:50
+1 on just getting a Magpul MOE handguard. The IWC light mount is great and a Magpul MOE vertical grip if you need one. I have a few rifles with rails everywhere, the MOE fits my needs just fine.

I wouldn't be too worried about POTUS or any pending federal legislation. We have a democratic supermajority in California, god knows what legislation is coming our way. I highly suggest buying a few more rifles this year.
Thanks I will check out the IWC light. I may headed over to Sunnyvale CA after work and check out a shop I heard about there and see what they have

fourXfour
12-02-12, 23:04
Thanks I will check out the IWC light. I may headed over to Sunnyvale CA after work and check out a shop I heard about there and see what they have

Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View is usually is pretty well stocked. I'm not sure what store is in Sunnyvale as I usually buy online.

The IWC with the 500 lumen Surefire Fury handheld would be a nice combo.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/

Dirty dirt
12-02-12, 23:16
Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View is usually is pretty well stocked. I'm not sure what store is in Sunnyvale as I usually buy online.

The IWC with the 500 lumen Surefire Fury handheld would be a nice combo.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/ cool thanks. my cousin said the shop in Sunnyvale is USFirearms company. I've haven't been there yet.

HardToHandle
12-02-12, 23:41
I've got a 6940 and a 6720 upper. There isn't much a 6940 can do that a 6720 cannot except the advantage in forward mounted optics. For that matter, the same goes for a 6920...

The 6940 is solid and I really like the intregral QD mounts. To the OP's post, the 6940 or other uppers should be drop in, I've never had a Colt problem, if you avoid the large pin issue..

Nothing wrong with buying more rifles or at least uppers, just the return on investment on similarly situated rifles is limited.