PDA

View Full Version : Torquing Old Barrel to New Upper Receiver

PeteMe
12-02-12, 17:45
The Colt Canada AR manuel I have says to only torque a used barrel once instead of 3 times onto the upper receiver. But anybody know if you are supposed to torque once or 3 times for a used barrel with a new upper receiver? Thanks, -Pete

bp7178
12-02-12, 17:48
It seems as if Colt Canada already answered this...

C4IGrant
12-02-12, 17:50
Interesting. I have not heard this before.

C4

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 20:09
This is a new one to me as well. I would do it the way that has been tested and torque or tighten it at least 3 times.

bp7178
12-02-12, 20:16
Somthing I thought of, and I don't know if the Colt manual makes a distinction; would you be putting it on a new or a used upper receiver? I doubt the threads of the barrel nut stretch, but I would imagine the upper's threads would have more give.

Edit:

Colt Canada Manual under page 3-2-16 section 14 "Rebreeching Existing Barrel"

www.coltcanada.com/pdf/10044S%202005-09-20.pdf

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 20:36
The U.S military manual would be taking this into account because they aren't building new weapons.

I don't live in Canada so I guess I just default.

Somthing I thought of, and I don't know if the Colt manual makes a distinction; would you be putting it on a new or a used upper receiver? I doubt the threads of the barrel nut stretch, but I would imagine the upper's threads would have more give.

Edit:

Colt Canada Manual under page 3-2-16 section 14 "Rebreeching Existing Barrel"

www.coltcanada.com/pdf/10044S%202005-09-20.pdf

PeteMe
12-02-12, 20:49
BP7178, It's a new upper receiver but used barrel. Thanks, -Pete

bp7178
12-02-12, 22:09
The U.S military manual would be taking this into account because they aren't building new weapons.

I don't live in Canada so I guess I just default.

The military never fits new receivers?

Iraqgunz
12-02-12, 22:23
I never said that. I said that the manual doesn't differentiate between new and used. It was rather rare in my experience to replace the receiver and barrel at the same time.

The same technique was used whether it was an old barrel/ new receiver or a new barrel/old receiver or both it mattered not.

The military never fits new receivers?

Robb Jensen
12-02-12, 23:03
Whenever I'm using a new receiver I torque 3 times. Only once if the receiver is used.

MistWolf
12-02-12, 23:28
Those crazy Canukians!

The upper is aluminum and anodized and has a large diameter thread. To get the threads to seat to each other correctly, torque it three times using some kind of assembly lube. Otherwise, there may be tight spots and loose spots. Evenly loaded threads will keep from loosening up better and won't need so much torque.

Blessed mother of all kittens. Torquing the barrel nut is very simple, yet people make it more complicated than landing a rover on Mars.

Rather amusing, actually

markm
12-03-12, 07:20
I don't see this as a huge issue one way or another. The torque range is pretty wide anyway. I torque 3 times no matter what.

C4IGrant
12-03-12, 07:24
Whenever I'm using a new receiver I torque 3 times. Only once if the receiver is used.

On new receivers, I have switched from 3 to somewhere around 8/9.

On used receivers, do you think the threads have stretched?

C4

Robb Jensen
12-03-12, 07:30
On new receivers, I have switched from 3 to somewhere around 8/9.

On used receivers, do you think the threads have stretched?

C4

I sometimes exceed 3 times, but 3 times minimum. Example with LaRue and Noveske NSR bbl nuts it takes a lot to get them to where I need them for alignment. I grease them up well. Torque. Loosen. Torque a little higher. Loosen. Etc until I get good alignment and sufficient torque.

I don't know if the used receivers threads have stretched. Just something LtCol Lutz taught me a long time ago.

markm
12-03-12, 07:31
Now I have to start giving it 10 torques just to ONE UP Grant. :sarcastic:

C4IGrant
12-03-12, 08:34
I sometimes exceed 3 times, but 3 times minimum. Example with LaRue and Noveske NSR bbl nuts it takes a lot to get them to where I need them for alignment. I grease them up well. Torque. Loosen. Torque a little higher. Loosen. Etc until I get good alignment and sufficient torque.

I don't know if the used receivers threads have stretched. Just something LtCol Lutz taught me a long time ago.

Right on the LT, Noveske, WC, etc to line up.

Interesting. I don't mess with too many used receivers, but will take a closer look next time.

C4

C4IGrant
12-03-12, 08:35
My reply to you Robb was way too professional. I need to be more married to my opinion (or how I do things) and throw a fit, call you names and basically flip out over this impugning. :D

C4

markm
12-03-12, 08:44
My reply to you Robb was way too professional. I need to be more married to my opinion (or how I do things) and throw a fit, call you names and basically flip out over this impugning. :D

Agreed.

Ironman8
12-03-12, 08:54
The way I've been told:

New receiver & new barrel nut = torque minimum 3 times

Used receiver & used barrel nut (that have been used on each other already) = torque once (although I usually do 2-3 anyway)

Not sure why you would want to use a used bbl nut on a new upper receiver, but I'd imagine you want to go a minimum of 3 as if it were new.

How can you tell if the threads have stretched?

ETA: Why does the little smilie show up in the sub line when I didn't select it??

MistWolf
12-03-12, 09:45

C4

You are correct, a right proper hissy fit, followed by a excoriating disparagement of his character, would let others know how seriously they need to consider the facts. A polite response is for those unsure of their own opinion. I, for one, would not want to lose respect for the depth of your experience and knowledge. Perhaps you should go back and edit your post, or follow it up with a scathing reply as to maintain your online rep as an internet expert.

Thank you

C4IGrant
12-03-12, 11:09
You are correct, a right proper hissy fit, followed by a excoriating disparagement of his character, would let others know how seriously they need to consider the facts. A polite response is for those unsure of their own opinion. I, for one, would not want to lose respect for the depth of your experience and knowledge. Perhaps you should go back and edit your post, or follow it up with a scathing reply as to maintain your online rep as an internet expert.

Thank you

I think you are right.

Standby Mr. Jensen (Ready)! :D

C4

markm
12-03-12, 11:13
Careful... Robb has been a little cranky lately. :eek:

I hope he's having a better week..

7 RING
12-03-12, 12:47
Until now, I never heard about applying torque only one time when assembling used parts. I always torqued the barrel nut three times. It does not hurt anything, so I am going to keep using the torque three times method.

Robb Jensen
12-03-12, 13:55
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e_93bqObbWI/T_nN1U6w4wI/AAAAAAAADi0/337sgTC7iLE/s1600/haters_gonna_hate.jpg

J/K ;)

PeteMe
12-04-12, 00:43
Thanks everybody for the input. The reason for the question was I needed to swap out the A2 receiver of a used AR for a new flat top upper. Went the multi torque route. -Pete