PDA

View Full Version : Precision Rifle Cleaning Kit

Dave L.
02-19-08, 17:27
I need assemble a cleaning kit for a 18" .308 precision bolt gun cleaning kit. I need stuff for in the field and in the rear.
Can someone please give me a gear list and some advice.
TIA,
Dave

Voodoochild
02-19-08, 18:01
OTIS Sniper kit will give you pretty much what you need. Might want to throw in a Dewey rod as well.

Dave L.
02-19-08, 19:19
Should I get the Dewy "Nylon coated" one piece rod?

Voodoochild
02-19-08, 19:28
Yeah the one piece rod will do just fine.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

Gunfighter13
02-19-08, 19:51
I like the Otis Deluxe Law Enforcement Cleaning System and a bore snake.
Will cover what you want. I like LE kit as is will clean 45acp, 5.56, 7.62 and 12ga. I use the bore snake for a quick clean of the barrel and chamber in the field. A few pulls through the barrel and your done.

JStor
02-21-08, 22:00
Get a Lucas rod/bore guide and a coated Dewey rod with one of the "spear" jags. The Lucas will have a removeable rear insert sized to the Dewey and will keep the rod centered as it's pushed down the bore.

heston911
02-22-08, 09:10
Get a Tipton carbon fiber rod rather than the Dewy IMHO. :D

I take a bore snake and a small can ( 3 oz. ) of Outers foaming bore cleaner into the field, it's cheap, it doesn't take up much space, it's non toxic and it's all You really need unless you're severely copper fowled, at that point the rod and ammonia based cleaners come in (sweet's 7.62 etc.)

kbi
02-23-08, 12:11
By heston911Get a Tipton carbon fiber rod rather than the Dewy

+1 Thats what Ive been using for the past 5yrs

Back to the subject.

Get a Jag for your caliber (I havent used a brush in years)

A bore guide

Some quality solvent like butches bore shine or shooter choice

Some CLP. I have birchwood casey(that stuff stays were you want it) and breakfree.

Trim2L
02-23-08, 12:37
Otis makes a great field expedient cleaning kit, I have one and never leave without it. However, for serious/routine cleaning (carbon and copper removal) there is no replacement for a high quality single piece coated or carbon cleaning rod, appropriate size jag, quality bronze brush, and quality solvent.

For bench use I use a Lucas guide, Dewey coated rod and jag/brush, Sweets, and M-Pro7.

f.2
02-23-08, 14:57
I use Otis flexi-rods on all of my ARs, but for my .308 bolt action rifle I'll stick with dewey rods and jags. Here's a good write up and contact information for Mike Lucas' Lucas Cleaning-Rod Bore Guide (http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm#image_1). Electronic mail contact info is current as of Jan 2008 when I contacted Mike and he took my order. Great guy to deal with also, answered all of my questions and has great comms.