PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 vs XDM Subcompact.

SFW
12-02-12, 21:27
Looking at a new carry gun. I have narrowed it down to these two guns. Which do you prefer and why?

brushy bill
12-02-12, 21:40
Glock for:

- Parts availability
- Fewer parts (less to go wrong)
- No grip safety
- Fewer inherent weaknesses (firing pin retainer pin, etc)
- Aftermarket support
- Magazine cost
- Adoption by LE and military units

Number of XD posts here and they all end the same.

BigBuckeye
12-02-12, 22:02
XDM..

My 26 was garbage, my 3.8 was awesome.

PA PATRIOT
12-02-12, 22:14
Glock for:

- Parts availability
- No grip safety
- Aftermarket support
- Magazine cost

Model-26 for all the above reasons.

bubba04
12-02-12, 22:30
I once sold a glock 26, and i will never forgive myself for that.

Glock 26 for the same reasons:

Glock for:

- Parts availability
- No grip safety
- Aftermarket support
- Magazine cost

Magic_Salad0892
12-02-12, 22:34
A (Gen4) Glock 19 with the grip cut to 26 length.

Or a Gen4 G26.

sammage
12-02-12, 22:36
XDM..

My 26 was garbage, my 3.8 was awesome.

Care to expand?

R0CKETMAN
12-03-12, 05:28
I've owned and shot a 26 for seventeen years. I own multiple Glocks in a variety of calibers. I shoot the 26 as well as any of the others. It's very accurate as I've seen when placing it in the hands of even the novice shooter.

I'd look for a clean gen3 no later than 09

I have no xd trigger time.

BigBuckeye
12-03-12, 05:32
Care to expand?

My 26 would FTE 1 out of every 100 to 150 rounds or so. I was primarily using Blazer brass. Thought the wife was limp wristing, then I put 500 or so through it and the same thing happened to me.

First and only Glock.

BigBuckeye
12-03-12, 05:33
I've owned and shot a 26 for seventeen years. I own multiple Glocks in a variety of calibers. I shoot the 26 as well as any of the others. It's very accurate as I've seen when placing it in the hands of even the novice shooter.

I have no xd trigger time.

Interesting, mine was purchased in 2010.

R0CKETMAN
12-03-12, 05:37
Interesting, mine was purchased in 2010.

Hence my 09 suggestion.

ryr8828
12-03-12, 06:51
I've got a few xd pistols and like them but I don't think I'd pay $100 more for the xdm over the glock 26. That's almost 500 rounds of blazer brass 9mm.

Texas42
12-03-12, 07:00
I'm a big Glock fan, but calling a G26 a "subcompact" is like calling a short, fat guy a midget.

A glock 26 is smaller than a Glock 19, but not much and not any thinner.

There are a lot of guns that are a lot easier to conceal, but the Glock 26 is easy to shoot.

Just throwing that out there.

djmorris
12-03-12, 07:47
I'd take the Glock over the XD/XDM any day.

XDM is over priced junk, IMO. I much prefer a standard XD to the XDM and hear of much fewer problems. But, at the price of an XDM you can usually buy an HK. I just don't see the reasoning here....

In my eyes, only a fool would spend $600 on an XDM. If you really want an XD then I'd recommend the XD9 Sub-Compact which you can find for $349-$399.

Magic_Salad0892
12-03-12, 21:02
If you want a really compact gun, just get a Walther PPS.

VIP3R 237
12-03-12, 21:11
I'm a big Glock fan, but calling a G26 a "subcompact" is like calling a short, fat guy a midget.

A glock 26 is smaller than a Glock 19, but not much and not any thinner.

There are a lot of guns that are a lot easier to conceal, but the Glock 26 is easy to shoot.

Just throwing that out there.

It may not be a pocket gun but the G26 is considerably smaller than the XDm compact. Its about the size of a G19.

amadeus76
12-07-12, 00:50
I'd take the Glock over the XD/XDM any day.

XDM is over priced junk, IMO. I much prefer a standard XD to the XDM and hear of much fewer problems. But, at the price of an XDM you can usually buy an HK. I just don't see the reasoning here....

I disagree... My XD(m) has been near flawless. I had 2 FTF issues in the first 100 rounds, but not a single issue since in the last 3,000. I will admit tho, I shoot better with my Glock.

Both are quality guns. My recomendation is go shoot both and buy the one you shoot better with.

SteveS
12-21-12, 11:10
Glock for:

- Parts availability
- No grip safety
- Aftermarket support
- Magazine cost

not a glock vs XD but the price the cops/ military pay for the Glock is really a IMO the deal maker. Though I will agree with all else.

SteveS
12-21-12, 11:12
Looking at a new carry gun. I have narrowed it down to these two guns. Which do you prefer and why?
Try to rent both to see which works best for you! Then buy 2,

prairiefire
12-21-12, 12:48
Glock 26 all the way. Have been carrying and using one since December 1999. Still bone-stock. Still functions flawlessly.

After seeing all the parts that broke on two buddies' XDs ( cocking indicator, barrel locking lugs, extractor, etc. ), eh, no thanks.

WickedWillis
12-21-12, 13:14
Sounds like someone is a little angry with Glock. Sorry Dude. To be honest they are both great and reliable hand guns, but you have to find what works for YOU. The complaint before about a G26 failing while using Blaser brass is not unheard of, Blaser is filthy ammo. I have had several issues with normally reliable weapons while firing Blaser. I personally do carry a Glock 26 Gen 3 Post '09 every day and I would stake my life on it. I personally have fired about 1500 rounds of mixed ammo through it and I have not had any issues. I have no idea how many rounds the gentleman who owned it before had fired. Just go out and rent a few different guns and get comfortable with one. Someone mentioned it before if you want to go very subcompact the Walther is nice little pistol.

Bulletdog
12-21-12, 15:34
I choose the Glock 26 for all the reasons already stated. I've shot whole classes with it, with any old cheap ammo you could find and never had a single malfunction.

I've only shot one XD. It was a fine gun, but it had one fatal flaw that would make me never want one, and certainly never carry one for self defense. The trigger reset was terrible. Felt like a mile. The owner of the gun was a friend's dad and just a casual target plinker. The guy behind the counter at the LGS recommended the XD to him. He shot my Glock and preferred it.

I've always wondered why more people don't complain about that reset... Nothing beats a 1911 trigger and the Glock trigger is certainly adequate by my standards, but that XD was terrible.

Business_Casual
12-21-12, 15:47
you have to find what works for YOU.

I've never understood why people post this. Not only is it wrong, it is a terrible cliche.

Any decent pistol can be used effectively by anyone motivated enough to master it.

That said, the XD is crap compared to a Glock. :sarcastic:

bc

12-21-12, 18:54
To be honest they are both great and reliable hand guns

Ah, no. Just the Glock.

Wake27
12-21-12, 19:06
Have you handled both? I immensely hated the XD (or XDM I don't even know) that I put a few magazines through. And had malfunctioned like every 3 rounds.

M-4VA
12-21-12, 19:11
Both sux get a 1911:p

DHart
12-21-12, 21:24
I had an XD compact for a short while and couldn't wait to get rid of it... top heavy and the bore axis felt like it was in the clouds. Didn't like the trigger either.

I sold the XD compact, picked up a G26 and couldn't be happier with the G26.

Wake27
12-21-12, 21:40
Oh and for the record, I own and love my Glock 19. Not a fan of the size of the 26 since I can conceal the 19 pretty easily, but between the two, Glock hands down.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-21-12, 23:49
I would go for the Austrian Wunder over the Croatian abortion.

SFW
12-22-12, 00:22
Update: I bought the G26.

DHart
12-22-12, 00:26

That's one of the worlds best carry guns, my man! Congrats.

feedramp
12-23-12, 10:10
Glock 26 was my first firearm and still one of my favorite 9mm handguns. Compatibility with all the other Glock 9mm mags is a nice bonus, if not as unique a feature to Glock as it once was.
Mine pings me with an occasional shell casing on ejection but it's never had an FTE or other failure so I don't mind.

edit: Congrats, enjoy the purchase!

Litpipe
12-23-12, 10:31
I have never owned or shot an xdm. I do have Glocks. Fwiw...i have never had a failure with any of my glcoks that were not shitty ammo related. Maybe a big statement but its truthful.

My Glock 21 was issued to me in 2002 and has all of the same internals now that it did then. It was also used by another deputy before I got it. I would estimate 8k to 10k rounds through it. Sites could use replacement...otherwise a great gun.

That particular gock has been rained on countless times (FL weather), dropped, thrown, been full of mud, dirt and grime. I clean it regularly and carry it in various holsters. I hope to keep it for my next 15yrs until I retire with it.

I have a backup G26 that ive carred for three years. This was a conversion. Meaning it was a lost/found, give up, or taken from a criminal. Most guns acquired that way are destroyed by my agency. If they are quality, and meet certain legal obligations, they will convert them and issue them out.

This G26 has not had as many rounds through it...but it has never failed me. It conceals well, shoots easy and it is accurate.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/2a9utety.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/8umeve2e.jpg

Bulletdog
12-23-12, 14:09

Good choice! :D

Dionysusigma
12-24-12, 09:40

Why's that? I *just* bought a NIB GenIII G26 yesterday - S/N starts with "TSP" if that makes any difference.

clarkz71
12-24-12, 09:59

Congrats, you won't be sorry.

Why's that? I *just* bought a NIB GenIII G26 yesterday - S/N starts with "TSP" if that makes any difference.

Because 2010 & up has been hit or miss with Glocks. I was lucky, my
Gen 3 G23 test fire date 3-22-2012 is perfect. But many posts on all
the Glock forums about BTF and eratic ejection on both 3 & 4 Gen.

Check the number on your ejector, if it's 336 you need to get the updated 30274.

Dionysusigma
12-24-12, 12:06
Drat... it's a 336. :(

What problems are associated with this ejector?
Where do I get a 30274, and how do I install it?

clarkz71
12-24-12, 12:35
Drat... it's a 336. :(

What problems are associated with this ejector?
Where do I get a 30274, and how do I install it?

Well you need to shoot it first, you might not have any problams.

But if you do all you need to do is order a gen4 housing and swap
the ejector over to your gen3 housing. It just pushes out then in.

Problems are BTF or brass to face, and eratic ejection.
Check youtube, plenty of videos on this.

packers
12-27-12, 14:39
I love my xdm! But glock is pretty good to go too.

WickedWillis
12-27-12, 15:01
I've never understood why people post this. Not only is it wrong, it is a terrible cliche.

Any decent pistol can be used effectively by anyone motivated enough to master it.

That said, the XD is crap compared to a Glock. :sarcastic:

bc

I posted it because its a legitimate statement. How is it wrong? I don't understand why you would waste time and money trying to "master" something you are not comfortable with. You'd disagree some people fire certain handguns better than others? Regardless, congrats on the purchase of your G26!

Submariner
12-27-12, 15:12
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/24/8umeve2e.jpg

Oh, no! An evil, high-capacity assault magazine in a Glock26.

OEM +2 extensions are still to be found for around $12.00.

Get 'em while you can!

darknight
12-28-12, 17:31
Go G26! beeen around alot longer and proven! Plenty of parts too!

Dionysusigma
01-12-13, 21:37
Welp, finally got it out to the range this week and put a few hundred rounds through it.

I hate compact pistols. There's nothing to hold on to, less weight to absorb recoil, and ugly... but I shot this pug of a pistol as well as, if not better than, my G17. Follow-up shots were effortless. Recoil is best described as "comfortable." Not a single hit was outside the black, at any distance I shot. The sights are still ugly, though not so much to warrant a change right now - they remain quite usable.

Zero reliability issues. Ejection pattern was good, as in "did not hit me unless bounced off lane divider first." Used the two factory 10rd flush magazines, a new OEM extended 12rd, and a Gen II G17 mag with a grip sleeve. Last two were so I'd have "something extra to hold on to," but I ended up really not caring. Maybe the flush 10rd mags could use a floorplate that sticks straight out the front (if such a thing exists) because I had to keep thinking about my ring finger slipping off, but that'd be it.

Only complaint is that the slide and mag catches are too miniscule. Probably going to swap them out with extended OEM Glock parts instead of Vickers, due to price.

This thing makes so much sense to me I can't figure out why I didn't get one earlier. https://www.m4carbine.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Trajan
01-12-13, 22:54
Only complaint is that the slide and mag catches are too miniscule. Probably going to swap them out with extended OEM Glock parts instead of Vickers, due to price.

I'll assume you have a gen 3 G26 since to my knowledge Glock hasn't released an OEM gen 4 mag release. Trust me, you don't want the OEM extended magazine release. Eats up your support hand. If it is a Gen 4, get the Vickers as well. It's a great product.

Both Vickers slide release and mag release are under $20 each and worth every penny.

shootis
01-13-13, 06:41
Maybe the flush 10rd mags could use a floorplate that sticks straight out the front (if such a thing exists) because I had to keep thinking about my ring finger slipping off, but that'd be it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

These GAP plates maybe just what you're looking for:

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/advantage.html

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/images/product1.jpg

Land Shark
01-13-13, 16:36
I would recommend the Vickers mag release over OEM. The vickers is extended just enough and rounded on the corners to not eat into your hands on extended strings of fire. Me being a lefty this is a huge plus

Dionysusigma
01-14-13, 02:21
I'll assume you have a gen 3 G26 since to my knowledge Glock hasn't released an OEM gen 4 mag release. Trust me, you don't want the OEM extended magazine release. Eats up your support hand. If it is a Gen 4, get the Vickers as well. It's a great product.

Both Vickers slide release and mag release are under $20 each and worth every penny.

Yep, Gen 3. And I'm not sure why the Vickers costs six times what an OEM does, and the OEM can be reduced to the user's needs.

Regarding the GAP, are they still in business? Out of principle, I avoid using PayPal whenever I can, because of Amazon's highly restrictive policy on firearms. Looks about perfect for what I want, though... :)

Dirknar
01-14-13, 21:29
These GAP plates maybe just what you're looking for:

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/advantage.html

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/images/product1.jpg

Thanks for posting these, they look like they would work great.

J-Dub
01-15-13, 20:20
Glock. But thats what I carry everyday so i do have a bias.

Prairie Patriot
01-15-13, 20:56

Glad you picked the Glock. I made the mistake of buying the XDm 3.8. While I have not experienced a ton of malfunctions, there were a couple things I was not aware of:

The first that I have had experience with is that the mag release is ridiculously stiff to operate if you have a full or semi full magazine. So much so, that I literally have to push up on the bottom of the mag and hit the mag release to get it to drop free. I probably would not be dropping a near full to full mag in a gun fight, but you never know if you might have to remove the mag (i.e. you keep having feeding issues; might be time to just change out the mag).

The second is that the grip safety must be depressed to rack the slide. For a one handed manipulation, especially if it's your weak side hand, this can possibly be an issue unless you train until you get it right all the time. I would prefer not to have to worry about whether or not the grip safety is depressed. I am probably in a bad situation if I am having to manipulate one handed and I do not need another variable when trying to rack the slide one handed.

Again, glad you went with the Glock. You will not be disappointed.

Skudshark
01-17-13, 13:37
Had both, actually kept my XDm 3.8, grip just felt... better? Never had a hiccup out of either of them. My main gripe tho, is what everyone else has pointed out.. lack of certain aftermarket parts for it. Otherwise I'd say its a fantastic pistol. I guess I might go against the grain but I like the XDm, it's been reliable, and from past experience on other guns, SA's customer service has been the best, fixing things I broke and not charging a dime.

But if you want aftermarket accessories, internals, barrels, etc, the G26 will be your best bet and is a fantastic carry conceal pistol. I'd say rent both and see which you prefer to shoot, if you can.