PDA

View Full Version : Son's First AR Kill

Scoby
12-03-12, 10:38
Small doe for the freezer.
He was watching a trail on a natural funnel and was expecting a 50-60 yd shot. What he got was 15 ft straight under the stand.

60gr TAP. Entered midway up the neck and exited chest just behind the front legs. Hit spine and bullet changed direction.
It was dead right there of course.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/CalebsARKill.jpg

FlyingHunter
12-03-12, 17:58
Congrats to you both! Thank you for doing your part to help your son understand that the AR and its variants ARE the new modern sporting rifle.

Good looking photo, well, except its not an Atlanta Braves sweatshirt:laugh:

Texas42
12-03-12, 18:55
Nice shooting.

Scoby
12-04-12, 07:13
Good looking photo, well, except its not an Atlanta Braves sweatshirt:laugh:

Yeah I agree on the Braves sweatshirt. The boy likes to be different.

His next goal is to shoot one with the 1940's Mauser 98 8mm his granddaddy gave him.
He'll do it too.

Thanks guys.

royal
12-04-12, 07:23
Excellent. Congrats to your son.

....and as a Mets fan I approve.

Watrdawg
12-04-12, 07:28
Great job with the AR!!

d90king
12-04-12, 08:02
That is awesome! I also agree with the Braves comments. :D Congrats!

lethal dose
12-04-12, 08:22
Nice take! That ATV looks familiar. ;) Reminds me, I hear SC requires all folks to take a hunter's safety course. True? Being that I haven't lived here long, it's something I haven't done yet but need to do.

ccoker
12-04-12, 08:30
very cool...

Scoby
12-04-12, 08:44
Nice take! That ATV looks familiar. ;) Reminds me, I hear SC requires all folks to take a hunter's safety course. True? Being that I haven't lived here long, it's something I haven't done yet but need to do.

It should. You need to get back down this way. I'll put you in a deer stand.

Yeah the state does require a hunter's ed course. If I remember correctly it is only required if you were born after a certain date.

nhskull21
12-05-12, 18:55
If you were born before a certain date in I believe 1979 you don't need the safety course. Good luck down here. You need to hunt private property. The wma's get picked clean early. I've been to sever spots and haven't seen anything.

Scoby
12-06-12, 09:37
If you were born before a certain date in I believe 1979 you don't need the safety course. Good luck down here. You need to hunt private property. The wma's get picked clean early. I've been to sever spots and haven't seen anything.

I know guys that hunt public almost exclusively. Kill nice deer too.
You've got to get off the beaten path. Way off.
Of course it depends on how big a tract of GMA you are talking about. The bigger the tract, the further away you can get.

warpigM-4
12-06-12, 09:43
Outstanding Job

fotomaker57
12-06-12, 15:22
Always great to see young people hunting and scoring.

nhskull21
12-06-12, 21:27
I know guys that hunt public almost exclusively. Kill nice deer too.
You've got to get off the beaten path. Way off.
Of course it depends on how big a tract of GMA you are talking about. The bigger the tract, the further away you can get.

Maybe there is during the first two weeks of the season. I'm about to switch areas. I've been all over the wambaw area and haven't seen anything. Mourning or night. Doing ten hour days, mixing it up between sitting and walking trying to scare something up out of the brush or its bed. It's you got any tips on anything or places shoot me a pm. For now I'm taking a week of two off gas to the areas is killing me. I may give Hell hole a shot next.

Scoby
12-07-12, 07:59
Didn't know you were in the lowcountry. I'm in the upstate.

Francis Marion is a big place but I'm not familiar with it so I don't have any leads for you. Sorry.
Good luck!