PDA

View Full Version : Purchased my first AR yesterday and just joined M4C

Yossi
12-03-12, 15:19
Greetings to all. I signed up for M4C and this is my first post, having passed the waiting period and getting permission communicate.

I'll take this opportunity to thank all of you who are currently or have been in the USA armed forces and law enforcement, and put your lives on the line so that we all can be blessed with the protection that you help provide. I am grateful for what you do, and I wish you safety and good health and long lives to enjoy with all of your loved ones. I am a civilian and have never been in the military, but I have a tremendous respect for those who are.

i purchased my first handgun 4 years ago and joined a sportsman's club to learn how to use it and to practice to get some competence and confidence. It is an enjoyable time at the range and a good place to spend some quality time with my boys

I have since purchased several more pistols a Mossberg shotgun for home defense and have a CCP. I thought that it would be a lot of fun to get an AR for use at the range and to have for HD purposes.

I decided to do some research before buying an AR, and I stumbled upon this website having read about it in some posts on another website. Once I found this place, I haven't looked for any additional sites, because I felt that the level of expertise here was unsurpassed.

I found hours of informative material to read here and went from knowing zero to at least having a platform to somewhat stand on.

At the gun shop there were about 100 different ARs to choose from. I had my list that I gathered from my reading here and from my searches on different guns. I purchased a SigSauer M400 enhanced with Magpul accessories, grip, handle, but. It has a flip up rear sight and no handle. I think that I'll get a scope after I have a chance to use it.

I really thought that I would get the Colt, but it was a couple bills more than my budget, I even thought about the S&W Sport but they were sold out, so being that this AR had a good feel and look and the features that I wanted, I took it home along with a couple more Magpul mags and a cleaning kit.

I hope that it will be a lot of fun at the range and that I never have to use it for HD.

Thanks for reading my first post!

FlyingHunter
12-03-12, 18:22
Welcome and congrats on the new AR! You did a fine introductory post.

To best benefit from the value that this forum has to offer, I would highly recommend reading this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Now be safe, shoot the heck out of you new AR, join the NRA, take friends shooting.

TehLlama
12-03-12, 18:28
Now, to complete the triad, you must actually shoot the thing.
Welcome!

Yossi
12-03-12, 18:43
Welcome and congrats on the new AR! You did a fine introductory post.

To best benefit from the value that this forum has to offer, I would highly recommend reading this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Now be safe, shoot the heck out of you new AR, join the NRA, take friends shooting.

Thank you for the welcome and the congrats. I do appreciate it.
The post you referred me to was excellent. It does a great job of setting the bar for the level of maturity expected here at M4C. It would be great if other web communities would post something similar.

I should have mentioned that I am a member of the NRA.

Welcome!

Thank you. I am looking forward to taking this to the range, ASAP.
I was instructed to first field strip it, clean it and lubricate it before shooting the gun. I have yet to do that. Hopefully, this weekend.

SteveS
12-03-12, 18:57
Welcome!
It is good to look at it for a while. My wife complains about when I get a new AR, it has to come to bed with me and gets all the attention for the first week!

Zane1844
12-03-12, 19:10
It is good to look at it for a while. My wife complains about when I get a new AR it has to come to bed with me for the first week!

LOL, I heard that before.

I am known to take the gun apart at random. Now I am confident I can build the damn thing from the ground up. Just need torque wrenches for FH, and barrel. I suggest you get familiar with it, it looks complicated at first, put the whole gun is just releasing pins pretty much.

Yossi
12-04-12, 09:03

I am known to take the gun apart at random. Now I am confident I can build the damn thing from the ground up. Just need torque wrenches for FH, and barrel. I suggest you get familiar with it, it looks complicated at first, put the whole gun is just releasing pins pretty much.

The salesman at the store took the gun apart in front of me and made it look as easy as tying shoes. I'm sure that I'll have a computer and a youtube on AR assembly and cleaning playing, the first several times do it. It did not look overly difficult, just somewhat.

wl518
12-04-12, 15:42
Smart move joining this forum. This place is like a wikipedia for firearms. Oh if I had stumbled here earlier, I would not have made the many mistakes....

Yossi
12-04-12, 16:26
Smart move joining this forum. This place is like a wikipedia for firearms. Oh if I had stumbled here earlier, I would not have made the many mistakes....

Would you mind sharing some of your mistakes? It's better to learn from someone else's than your own

wl518
12-04-12, 16:30
Examples include:

Trying to buy skill i.e. firearm enhancements that weren't necessary
Finding reputable distributors based on forum feedback
Working on my own firearms vs taking it to a gunsmith
Impulsive buying before doing research

There are many more, but hey we weren't all born with knowledge.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 17:18
Hopefully the BRD doesn't get you, then again, it's not so bad, you end up with lots of guns.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 17:18
Examples include:

Trying to buy skill i.e. firearm enhancements that weren't necessary
Finding reputable distributors based on forum feedback
Working on my own firearms vs taking it to a gunsmith
Impulsive buying before doing research

There are many more, but hey we weren't all born with knowledge.

I like working on my own guns, unless it involves machining.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 17:20

That's why I like working on mine, ARs and Glocks especially, they're like big boy legos.

Aaron_B
12-09-12, 03:43
Welcome to M4C! There are plenty of stickies to help you get through a lot of things and help you avoid costly mistakes. An example of a costly mistake, me buying a RRA before I knew better and after reading here ditched it. I now own 2 colt rifles(one is none, two is one).

Aaron

unclerandy
12-09-12, 04:12
Welcome

warpigM-4
12-09-12, 11:51
welcome to M4C outstanding first Post !!you have come to the right place the knowledge here is the best .Please let us Know how it shoots,Now buy a bunch of ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot .

Clint
12-09-12, 12:41
Welcome Yossi!

Great first post.

Yossi
12-09-12, 14:59
Thank you for the warm welcome and the nice words about my first post. I'll let you know how my first shoot goes. I still haven't found the time to get to the range, as I have been busy week ends and the outdoor range is closed after dark, when I finish work. I must admit that I am excited to fire this gun.
All the best and thanks once again.

Yossi

warpigM-4
12-09-12, 15:19
I know the feeling i use to have a field next to me that I shot in when ever I got the urge , then I moved and have to make plans to go some where .
it can be a pain when you have the itch to fire a new weapon .
Until you can get to the range spend some time on disassemble and reassemble drills it will help you get a better understanding of the AR Platform .be safe and have fun

gobo57
12-18-12, 15:43
this should be a mandatory post when new to the ar. i thankfullly found this valuable sight, cancelled my order with less said company and purchased a colt. can't join the big boy club yet with builders but , can depend for my life without having to second guess. still flawless....

Ick
12-18-12, 15:45
Just in, just in time. Welcome. Enjoy the view, things are getting interesting given the massive quantity of sales in the last four days.

7 RING
12-18-12, 15:49
Welcome to the club. You will find some useful information on this site.