PDA

View Full Version : Glock Extractors Compared! Apex vs. "Dipped" vs. Non-"Dipped" (Video)

Quiet Riot
12-03-12, 17:03
I put each of the above extractors in my Gen 4 G17 to compare their ejection patterns. It is important to note that these are the results for ONE pistol. These extractors each may perform better or worse in different pistols. It is clear, however, that you can have a major influence on ejection just by switching between these readily available extractors.

For me, I don't think I got enough difference from the Apex Tactical extractor to be worth the cost. However, it is very subjective and you might make a different choice after watching the footage. I'd love to hear which you'd choose and why based upon the ejection shown in real time and slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee13znbnSCM

R0CKETMAN
12-03-12, 17:57
First of all good job on the video.

Did you use the non LCI during your test? You may have mentioned..

Quiet Riot
12-03-12, 18:13
First of all good job on the video.

Did you use the non LCI during your test? You may have mentioned..

Thanks!

I wasn't clear, but I used the recommended set-up for each, meaning that I used the stock EDP, LCI SLP, and spring for the factory extractors, and I used the stock EDO, non-LCI SLP, and Apex spring for the Apex extractor.

ralph
12-03-12, 18:54
Well, in my G19 (Gen3) I've tried the following..factory dipped extractor, Lone wolf aftermarket extractor, Factory non-dipped extractor, and finally the Apex Gen3 FRE..both factory extractors failed after about 7-800rnds and started throwing brass at me, not very often, not every mag, but it'd still do it..The LW extractor was no better it too gave up after 7-800 rnds..none of the 3 ever gave real positive ejection with many emptys flying over my head, to the left, forward, dribbling over my right arm/wrist. While I've only got 100 rnds through it, so far the Apex FRE works..and works well.. The limiting tab Randy designed onto the Gen 3 FRE is nothing short of brilliant.I had 1 left ejection (this was also a Win. case, with a decided lack of tension when put under the extractor) and 2 graze my right shoulder, the other 97rnds went into a small area about 3' to my right, at about 4-5:00..No BTF, No malfunctions. I'm using the stock slb now,But, I've got a couple of non lci, slb's ordered to try and see if there is any more improvement.. I've noticed that some Win. cases have little to no tension on them when slipped under the extractor,(noticed the same lack of tension with the other extractors as well)I'm thinking the non-lci slb may provide a little more tension to grip these.In my case, The Apex FRE has been worth it. I'm going to keep running it and see what happens, so far, I'm happy with it

paperchasin
12-03-12, 20:35
Thanks for the video...gonna forward this to my Glock buddies.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-03-12, 22:10
Give it another 1000-3000 rounds. BTF will happen again with the Glock extractors. That alone makes the Apex extractor worth the extra $67 (not $90-100).

Also, the non-LCI SLB is not necessary now that the newer, stronger spring is out, which you most likely got. Even if you did go with the non-LCI SLB, mine only cost me $3 with $3 shipping. So $73 total.

Cosmo M3
12-03-12, 22:36
Give it another 1000-3000 rounds. BTF will happen again with the Glock extractors. That alone makes the Apex extractor worth the extra $67 (not $90-100).

Also, the non-LCI SLB is not necessary now that the newer, stronger spring is out, which you most likely got. Even if you did go with the non-LCI SLB, mine only cost me $3 with $3 shipping. So $73 total.

i had several double feeds with mine with the factory LCI SLB

DreadPirateMoyer
12-03-12, 22:46
Running a 26?

And I should have chosen my words more carefully. I should have said it's not necessarily mandatory. Some guns need it because slide tolerances are off so much. Most don't.

But to say it's required is stretching it, as if every gun requires the non-LCI to function. A lot don't, mine included.

currahee
12-03-12, 23:16
I did not realize there was that much to it. Great video!

SaddleTramp
12-04-12, 01:10
Great video and comparison but I think the "recommended" Apex set-up mentioned in the video isn't necessarily what Randy Lee at Apex has documented here through the various Apex Glock related threads most recently. He's has stated that their testing was actually done using the LCI bearing and only to use the non-LCI bearing as a 2nd/alternate option if needed. I'll defer to his confirmation but that is what he's communicated thus far.

I've also had an improvement using the Gen III Apex extractor.

Hi,

We did all of our testing with the lci slb. So at this point I believe that the non lci version may be unnecessary. I don't believe that installing it will hurt, however you might give it a try to see how it affects ejection.

-Randy

Quiet Riot
12-04-12, 04:03
Thanks for all of the comments.

I followed the only information that Apex gives officially, and that is on their website:
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid67.html

"Recommendation for best function:
Spring Load Bearing for Glock Model 17, 19, 26 and 34 - Glock Item # SP01176 (Available at Midwayusa.com, Brownells.com or Sharpsshootingsupply.com
Glock 30274 Ejector. "

When you tell someone that something is "recommended" for best function, it is semantically the same as saying it is "required" for best function. Otherwise, you're just recommending that people waste their money on something not needed for best function, and what kind of recommendation is that. :)

It seems to me reading comments here and on other sites that there is some useful information on how to use the Apex extractor that Apex is not sharing with their customers directly. There are no official instructions whatsoever- just the recommendation to use the non-LCI SLB found on the page referenced above. The extractor comes with a business card that refers you to to their Youtube channel for installation videos, but none are on the Glock FRE.

So, what you see is the result of someone following the information Apex is providing. If there is more to it, Apex needs to improve their documentation. If they no longer feel that the non-LCI SLB is necessary, then they should take the recommendation off the product page.

It is clear that the Apex extractor works, and it is clear that it performs significantly differently than either Glock factory extractors. My preference, as stated in the video, is based upon slow motion analysis that most aren't doing. If it was just on what I could see with the naked eye, I'd probably go with the Apex.

It very well may be the answer that many need for their specific extraction or ejection problems. I hope the video gives people considering an extractor swap something to SEE rather than just something to READ about the Apex FRE.

In the end, it could be that currahee has the right idea- maybe all that is needed is reliable cycling and no BTF. Getting picky on what the ejection looks like could be splitting hairs. In that case, for MY pistol, I'd still go with the factory "dipped" extractor Glock put on for free until it performs otherwise.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-04-12, 08:14
Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints with the Apex stuff. The instructions aren't clearly communicated and, in fact, are generally outdated depending on the source (their own website). I think this is a byproduct of these extractors being created through testing and evolutionary design, so the available information is constantly changing. Suffice it to say, though, the non-LCI is not required nor even "recommended" anymore (except as a backup option for Glocks still having troubles: mostly Gen 3 26s) as per Randy's advice on the Apex forums.

And as far as the extractors, your Glock is a problematic one. The tolerances are off in some manner, and once the cheap Glock MIM extractor wears down, those tolerance flaws exacerbate the already-erratic ejection right into your face. You saw that once already. You'll see it again. Cnsistent performance over thousands of rounds (that you won't get with Glock extractors) is what makes the Apex part worth the $60-70 you pay, let alone not having to send your Glock back to the factory every 20 boxes of ammo.

Just make sure to say in one of your next videos "DreadPirateMoyer, you were right," once you start getting dinged in the eyeballs with brass (again). :)

ST911
12-04-12, 09:37
In the end, it could be that currahee has the right idea- maybe all that is needed is reliable cycling and no BTF. Getting picky on what the ejection looks like could be splitting hairs. In that case, for MY pistol, I'd still go with the factory "dipped" extractor Glock put on for free until it performs otherwise.

Ejection should be vigorous, having enough force to propel the case from the gun and ensure that it doesn't obstruct the feeding of the next round. Direction doesn't really matter. We accept that with the AR system, and sometimes go so far as to mock those who fixate on it, yet it's become a sort of cornerstone of the Glock 9mm hysteria.

Further, in other systems, we also accept that such things are a product of a combination of variables, including weights, alignments, and speeds of all the involved components. Yet the focus and discussion remains on the extractor.

Befuddling.

This is why it's critical that people actually shoot their guns before they start buying replacement parts.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-04-12, 09:55
Angle of extraction matters a lot when it's right into your face multiple times per magazine. It's not a fixation. It's a perfectly reasonable concern, especially if the Glock in question is a self-defense gun.

And when extraction changes from 3-5 rounds/magazine right in my face to 0 in my face with the simple change of one part (the extractor), you're damned right it's going to be the focus of the discussion. There's nothing befuddling about that, especially when results like mine have been repeated multiple times with the Apex extractor.

ST911
12-04-12, 09:59
Angle of extraction matters a lot when it's right into your face multiple times per magazine. It's not a fixation. It's a perfectly reasonable concern, especially if the Glock in question is a self-defense gun.

And when extraction changes from 3-5 rounds/magazine right in my face to 0 in my face with the simple change of one part (the extractor), you're damned right it's going to be the focus of the discussion.

If BTF was the only axle people were getting wrapped around, the discussion(s) would have more merit.

brickboy240
12-04-12, 11:00
I used the bone stock LCI bearing with the Apex extractor and their spring and my G19 ran just fine.

You may or may NOT need the non LCI bearing....test it and see if the extractor will hold a dummy round under tension or not.

Mine did so I put it back together and ran it...I got 3-4 o'clock ejection and brass no where near my body at all. Very consistent ejection angle as well.

...works for me.

-brickboy240

DreadPirateMoyer
12-04-12, 11:16
If BTF was the only axle people were getting wrapped around, the discussion(s) would have more merit.

Wait, there's more hysteria? Not challenging you; I just haven't been following other Glock problems since that's all mine's had.

If so, then yeah, I'd say the hysteria is overblown. I've dealt personally with 3 separate Glocks with over 10,000 rds total, and BTF was all I experienced with them.

Jaysop
12-04-12, 17:03

What other problems are you referring to? FTE? That has to do with the extractor. I feel that those are probably hand and hand.
I'm not aware of anything else.

Quiet Riot
12-05-12, 06:22
Yeah, that's one of my biggest complaints with the Apex stuff. The instructions aren't clearly communicated and, in fact, are generally outdated depending on the source (their own website). I think this is a byproduct of these extractors being created through testing and evolutionary design, so the available information is constantly changing. Suffice it to say, though, the non-LCI is not required nor even "recommended" anymore (except as a backup option for Glocks still having troubles: mostly Gen 3 26s) as per Randy's advice on the Apex forums.

And as far as the extractors, your Glock is a problematic one. The tolerances are off in some manner, and once the cheap Glock MIM extractor wears down, those tolerance flaws exacerbate the already-erratic ejection right into your face. You saw that once already. You'll see it again. Cnsistent performance over thousands of rounds (that you won't get with Glock extractors) is what makes the Apex part worth the $60-70 you pay, let alone not having to send your Glock back to the factory every 20 boxes of ammo.

Just make sure to say in one of your next videos "DreadPirateMoyer, you were right," once you start getting dinged in the eyeballs with brass (again). :)
I said in my "Glock Fixed It Video" and in multiple threads that I need to put a lot more rounds through the factory extractor to see if anything changes for all the reasons you say. It's a "no brainer." :cool:

I also need to do the same thing with the Apex setup. Since that's what's in the pistol now, that's what's going to get the rounds first.

7 RING
12-05-12, 10:08
Has anyone tried to polish the extractor when the brass started to eject toward their forehead?

brickboy240
12-05-12, 14:13
The ONLY issue I ever had with my problematic 3rd gen G19 was BTF.

The thing cycled fine and accuracy was typical of any 3rd gen 9mm Glock I had ever shot.

BTF started showing up at about round number 800 or so. Did it 2-3 times per mag....on all sorts of ammo. Ejection was never very positive but went from dribbling out of the ejection port to slinging brass straight back and getting me in the center of my forehead.

Makes one develop quite a flinch! LOL

-brickboy240

ralph
12-05-12, 14:52
Has anyone tried to polish the extractor when the brass started to eject toward their forehead?

Yes, I did..Polished the dip extractor, made things much worse, would throw brass at me at least 7-8 times a mag maybe more.I only tried the polished extractor for a very short time (maybe 2 mags) before changing back to the LW extractor I was using at the time..

7 RING
12-05-12, 16:44
Yes, I did..Polished the dip extractor, made things much worse, would throw brass at me at least 7-8 times a mag maybe more.I only tried the polished extractor for a very short time (maybe 2 mags) before changing back to the LW extractor I was using at the time..

Thank you. That was the kind of information I was hoping to get.

windellmc
12-07-12, 08:36
I know you liked the way the factory extractor looked in slow motion but to me the Apex looked better at full speed. The brass was ejecting more consistently away from the shooter which is what we all want right? I think you are going to see your gun start beaning you with brass again after 700-800 rounds with the factory extractor.

Quiet Riot
12-07-12, 17:41
I know you liked the way the factory extractor looked in slow motion but to me the Apex looked better at full speed. The brass was ejecting more consistently away from the shooter which is what we all want right? I think you are going to see your gun start beaning you with brass again after 700-800 rounds with the factory extractor.

I very well may see the factory extractor go bad, but I'm wanting to test that hypothesis. As I said in the video, it wasn't an easy decision and is certainly subjective. Ideally, I'd like the force of the dipped extractor's ejection with the consistency and direction of the Apex, but alas, none gave me "Glock perfection." :D

Newaza
05-19-13, 10:51
Quiet Riot, is there any update on this? How is the dipped extractor holding up?

pisc1024
05-22-13, 20:25
Thanks for posting the clip I thought it was interesting.