PDA

View Full Version : Chevron front sight post?

BrigandTwoFour
12-03-12, 19:36
Hey all,

I came across these while browsing today. The concept is interesting, since the chevron/triangle seems to be popular in various optics, and in at least one line of pistols (Steyr, I think?).

Looks like a company has incorporated the design into the front sight of an AR, replacing the black post with a bit pointy chevron.

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Blitzkrieg-Chevron-AR-15-sight-white-housing-types.jpg

I know a lot of traditionalists out there will hate the idea of anything else but the standard, but I thought this idea was interesting.

Thoughts?

Original article I found was on AR15news. (http://www.ar15news.com/2012/12/03/new-chevron-style-ar-15-front-sight-post-blitzkrieg-components/)

nimdabew
12-03-12, 20:27
Interesting idea. Expensive. I could think of a better use of $75 like.. $75 towards an Aimpoint or EOTech.

Jaysop
12-03-12, 20:37
Interesting idea. Expensive. I could think of a better use of $75 like.. $75 towards an Aimpoint or EOTech.

$75 for that!!
Where the **** are prices for this shit coming from latley?

I would buy that for $15 and feel like I spent to much.
How much does it take to make that? A few cents?

My new hobby will be origami, until I find out its $100 for a square of paper...

Airhasz
12-03-12, 20:49
[QUOTE=Jsop;1459161]$75 for that!!
Where the **** are prices for this shit coming from latley?

Come on, you gotta get the striped version for $85. Go big or go home...:laugh:

Jaysop
12-03-12, 21:00
I'm mad because I would probably buy that.
What stupid is $10 more for a dab of nail polish.

Kain
12-03-12, 23:03
It is certainly interesting, though I will agree that $75-85 does seem steep for what it is unless it was loaded with tritium. Would like to play with one and see, though I am not sure I would be a buyer.

On a side note, I am thinking of some of the idiots around here who would get their hands on it and then bitch about it being hard to zero since they would be trying to zero it through the little hole.

SteveL
12-03-12, 23:56
Interesting idea and I wouldn't mind trying one out, but no way would I pay what they're charging for it. Even 1/3 of the posted price would be steep IMO.

BH321
12-04-12, 00:01
Interesting design made much less interesting by a brutal price. Would probably make aiming past 100 meters with a 100 meter zero easier though.

Failure2Stop
12-04-12, 00:06
Chevrons are some of the worst reticle options in optics.
Pointed front sights are more difficult to hard focus on and center in a circular rear peep sight.

fixit69
12-04-12, 00:10
Look, get the kns front sight post set if this is the way you want to go.
I have used them and there is a difference if your eyes are as crappy as mine. Cheap, many choices, and they can help. I don't see these others as help in a true iron sight picture.

But I also bought the DOA...

308sako
12-04-12, 00:11
Chevrons are some of the worst reticle options in optics.
Pointed front sights are more difficult to hard focus on and center in a circular rear peep sight.

Well stated.

trinydex
12-04-12, 02:26
How would you get elevation correct and consistent in the middle of the peep?

Deputy Dan
12-04-12, 08:12
You wouldn't. It would cause an index of elevation problem.

I have the same issue when I shoot my L42A1 rifles... The pointed post can cause vertical stringing of the group if I don't have a really solid aiming point.

JSantoro
12-04-12, 09:34
Tons of narrower FSPs available on the market for WAY less $$ than that, and there's a balance to be struck in that regard.

The narrower the tip of the FSP, the more likely that strong light shining down on it will make the shooter perceive it as being shorter than it actually is (or left/rightward, if at an angle), and starts launching rounds too high. That's why smudge-pots, sight black and the like have been used for so long, so that the FSP is as unreflective and true-to-size as possible, and allows the shooter a better chance to perceive the FSP as it really IS.

A true chevron is TOO narrow at the tip, and the broadening as one tracks downward to the most-visible part makes it so that one'll start to see lateral shifts, as well, because it becomes harder to note lateral center of the FSP in relation to the target AND in relation to the aperture.

I'm not a huge fan of traditions that exist for no better reason than the sake of having a tradition available with which to replace thought...that's just STUPID..., but when the tradition exists because it serves a purpose, it's hard to ding those that howl when somebody gets tapped on the shoulder by the Good Idea Fairy (unless they're howling on the basis of tradition, alone; screw those guys, we'd still be fighting with flint Foslom-tipped spears, ffs...).

They'll still sell, just on the basis of being different-looking, but this is an instance where, before looking for out-of-box solutions, look IN the box and learn why some of the crap in it is there in the first place.

Fly8791
12-04-12, 09:35
Looks kinda interesting.

But it seems like sighting in might have some issues because you could only make 180 degree turns on the front sight post when sighting in. A simple post can take quarter turns.

I would rather have something I could fine tune than such a coarse sight. But that's just me...

halmbarte
12-04-12, 09:53
Worst irons I've ever used were the pointed front and V notch rear on a Mauser M48.

There is a good reason flat topped front sights are the norm.

H

Canonshooter
03-13-17, 05:36
I know this is a five year old thread, but I thought I'd add my recent first-hand experience...

I gave the non-painted thin chevron front post a try on a 11.5" upper with a set of DD fixed sights (15.25" sight radius). It seemed an interesting concept and for $23 I thought I'd give it a try. As per the previous comments, I struggled with vertical stringing - the top of the chevron is too narrow for me to clearly see the tip, especially since my eyesight no longer allows the front sight to be perfectly in focus. As a result, I am unable to consistently place the tip of the chevron at the vertical center of the target. Other than perhaps being a touch faster at close range I did not seem to benefit from it and as a result, I'm back to the standard .072" square post.

If anyone wants to try it I'll send it to you for $20.00 ;-)