PDA

View Full Version : G26.....With G17 mags

KrampusArms
12-03-12, 22:35
New G26 stovepipes on round 515. The weapon had an incident free track record basically. UNTIL I seated a 10 round CA legal G17 mag. The very last shot from the G17 mag caused a stovepipe.

Has anyone here experienced issues using full sized mags in there subcompact Glocks?

sammage
12-03-12, 22:53
New G26 stovepipes on round 515. The weapon had an incident free track record basically. UNTIL I seated a 10 round CA legal G17 mag. The very last shot from the G17 mag caused a stovepipe.

Has anyone here experienced issues using full sized mags in there subcompact Glocks?

Haven't had any issues myself. Did you try any other high capacity mags?

DocH
12-03-12, 22:58
I've had one such incident with a G17 mag in my G26. Never an issue with G19 mags or happy sticks.I think that one was a fluke possibly due to my grip.Otherwise it is reliable with the larger mags.

KrampusArms
12-03-12, 23:04
Haven't had any issues myself. Did you try any other high capacity mags?

Unfortunately, no. California dictates I may only have 10 round mags. The mag I used was my G17 Ca legal 10 rounder.

I am just curious if anybody here has had any issues with "longer" mags in their G26 pistols.

I had a great track record yesterday, until I used that damn G17 mag.

Code3Patriot
12-03-12, 23:14
In all likelihood, it's the mag, not your Glock. The neutered 10 round G19 and G17 factory mags have been known to cause FTFs and FTEs.

If you were to use 15 rd G19 mags or 17 rd G17 mags your Glock would feed and eject properly. Since you are in CA, I would stick with the G26 mags which are completely reliable.

KrampusArms
12-03-12, 23:49
In all likelihood, it's the mag, not your Glock. The neutered 10 round G19 and G17 factory mags have been known to cause FTFs and FTEs.

Im hoping its the mag & thats the deal. But the thing that bothers me is that these 10 round G17 mags have never given me problems in the G17.

Maybe theyre not as solid being theyre half hanging from the grip. I appreciate your feed back.

R0CKETMAN
12-04-12, 05:11
I'd replace with 78071 and re-test. My 26 eats ammo just fine using all Glock brand 9mm mags
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#148

travistheone
12-04-12, 06:11
gen 3 26 uses any and all mags I throw at it, with a variety of ammo.

whick1
12-04-12, 06:14
I have had issues with shooting G22 mags thru my 27. Not just with the last round either. I was told by a local Glock armorer that the reason was that with the mag being more exposed because of the shorter grip the mag gets pulled and tugged on and has more pressure added to it than if it were in a enclosed grip making a malfunction more likely

ETA: the mags I were using were new or like new Glock 22 15 rounders that worked flawless in both my Glock 22s

jesuvuah
12-04-12, 06:17
I have experienced a few failures out of my 26 with happy sticks. With so much mag hanging out there is a lot of free play and if you grip the mag and exert pressure the wrong way on the mag it is possible to cause a malf. I have heard this happening with people who were running 17 mags also but I have only ever had it happen with a happy stick.

francobx22
12-04-12, 06:38

Like the others said it most likely the mags.. sometimes the ten round mags are using lighter springs that may cause a feed issue..

Also have you been using the same ammo all the time.

I'm sure you know but the main things to keep in account when a gun is malfunctioning. Operator, ammo, equipment i.e springs, barrel, mags etc.

I hope this is a little helpful.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ST911
12-04-12, 09:16

There is potential for same, due to the forces that can be exerted on the mag. The effect is usually overstated though. Most guns will shoot the extended magazines fine. All mine do. Test fire to verify.

But the thing that bothers me is that these 10 round G17 mags have never given me problems in the G17.

It's a 10rd mag, which isn't ideal, and they are known to be quirky. You're now adding it to gun that it wasn't specifically designed for, further lowering the threshold.

With the G26 mag already being 10rds, there's no benefit in using the G17 other than for a common spare. Use the mag the gun was intended to use.

francobx22
12-04-12, 09:20
There is potential for same, due to the forces that can be exerted on the mag. The effect is usually overstated though. Most guns will shoot the extended magazines fine. All mine do. Test fire to verify.

It's a 10rd mag, which isn't ideal, and they are known to be quirky. You're now adding it to gun that it wasn't specifically designed for, further lowering the threshold.

With the G26 mag already being 10rds, there's no benefit in using the G17 other than for a common spare. Use the mag the gun was intended to use.

I agree.

He may be using the larger mags for the extra surface area to help grip etc.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

KrampusArms
12-04-12, 14:49
Thanks for the input gentleman. I have been using the same ammo. WWB for the bulk of my shooting. Last 300 rounds have been WWB. Before that was Federal Hydrashoks, Remington, & Fiocchi.

I didnt plan on using the neutered G17 mag whatsoever. It was lying next to my G17, & I slapped it in the 26 as an experiment. I dont need extra finger support, I have no problems at all with my pinky hanging off.

As many of you know the subcompacts really do perform just as well as the full size pistols. I have no trouble shooting & grouping whatsoever, despite the lack of pinky support. It really is a non issue.

You know I remembered just now that when I was firing the G17, I think I could feel the mag spring "creaking" & feeding the ammunition upwards. After each shot, I could feel the spring "set" or "nestle" after the slide stripped a round off. If that means anything.

I have never heard or read of problems with the CA 10 rounders, as I've never had issues with them. Im getting out of this state soon, you guys are really lucky with your TRUE standard capacity feeding devices.

DocH
12-05-12, 08:23

I also agree with this. If stuck with the 10 round mags I'd avoid any potential problems and just use the regular G26 mags.
The G26 was born from the magazine capacity restrictions of the Clinton days,and was a great option for the time.I still love the G26.