PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Bench and Slope to Berm ?

Scoby
12-04-12, 09:33
I'm going to build a shooting bench this weekend. Similar to Hmac's bench in this post. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117557
No more shooting off the back of the ATV when zeroing.

This is in my backyard and our property is rolling hills. Really no flat area convenient to the house / man cave.

What I have been trying to determine is, my shooting lane and 50 - 100 yd berms sit on a slope below where the bench would be placed.
The slope, best I can determine, is approx. 1:12.
At 50yds (150 ft) this places the bench 12'-6" above my berm. Eyeballing it this seem about right.

What I am concerned about is, if the bench is constructed level and we're shooting off a front rest/rear sandbag, will I have trouble obtaining a line of sight to the target? Will I have to raise the rear of the gun in order to obtain sight on the target to the point that this would put the shooter in an unnatural/uncomfortable position.

Shooting off of the tailgate of the ATV was never a problem. The ATV was parked on the slope with the tailgate parallel to the berms making the surface of the tailgate on the same slope as the ground.

Should this bench top be constructed / placed on the same slope as the ground? Or, unlevel?
Maybe being in construction is why this is giving me pause. Am I thinking too much into this?

tuck
12-04-12, 12:42
Have you thought about modifying the front legs of the bench to be adjustable? That would take the guess work out of it and allow you to use the bench at different locations.