PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with my ar

airman
12-04-12, 14:15

14395]Since I Purchased my le6920 I have installed a cheap rail light on a cheap quad rail for predator hunting and an aimpoint pro rds and a wilson combat tr ttu 3g trigger for hunting, hd and shtf. Second day of deer season shot a 150 pound doe broadside at about 100 yards with a barnes 62 grn ttsx and it went clean through both front shoulders and demolished heart and both lungs. She ran about 35 yards and piled up. Barnes ttsx did not expand as much as I would have liked but dead is dead. Three nights ago went out to our small local airport at night which we have a depredation permit to remove coyotes and fox for safety concerns. I saw the reflaction of eyes at about 150 yards and sent 1 62 grn m855 green tip completely through a red fox. Bullit entered below right eye and exited left rear hip. Did not realize the power accuracy and range of the 5.56 round.This is an awesome round and the best rifle I have ever owned. Deffinately have the black rifle and predator hunting bug now.

jmnielsen
12-04-12, 14:17
No pictures?

Clint
12-04-12, 20:09
Congrats on the new AR and kills.

Even though its for depredatation, nearly any other bullet choice is better than M855.

For coyotes and foxes, something like a vmax or NBT should take them down better.

7 RING
12-04-12, 20:27
Try the Hornady VX 55g VMax on some varmints and let us know how it works. My Colt LE6920 functioned well with it and it is purported to be a good varmint round.

rocsteady
12-07-12, 11:44
Stick with the Barnes rounds. 70 grain TSX round from ASYM has been tremendous on coyotes/foxes, deer and some very large hogs.

bobsolla
12-07-12, 12:29
at least you don`t have to worry about wild-e coyote anymore!what do you plan to do with it?

Texas42
12-07-12, 12:49
Fun to hunt.

:)

WillBrink
12-07-12, 13:08

14395]Since I Purchased my le6920 I have installed a cheap rail light on a cheap quad rail for predator hunting and an aimpoint pro rds and a wilson combat tr ttu 3g trigger for hunting, hd and shtf. Second day of deer season shot a 150 pound doe broadside at about 100 yards with a barnes 62 grn ttsx and it went clean through both front shoulders and demolished heart and both lungs. She ran about 35 yards and piled up. Barnes ttsx did not expand as much as I would have liked but dead is dead. Three nights ago went out to our small local airport at night which we have a depredation permit to remove coyotes and fox for safety concerns. I saw the reflaction of eyes at about 150 yards and sent 1 62 grn m855 green tip completely through a red fox. Bullit entered below right eye and exited left rear hip. Did not realize the power accuracy and range of the 5.56 round.This is an awesome round and the best rifle I have ever owned. Deffinately have the black rifle and predator hunting bug now.

My understanding is, in the hands of a decent shooter using a decent rifle, the 5.56 has far more range than many give it credit for. I have no experience with long distances with 5.56, but that's the skinny round these parts. I'd like to get some hunting in with my black rifle, but I'm in anti black rifle territory.

Scoby
12-08-12, 08:57
Good shot.
I've never shot anything with M855. It wouldn't be my first choice. But, as you say, dead is dead.

On foxes and yotes, 60gr TAP and PPU 75gr Match work well.
This yote died by the 75gr Match. Through the lungs and it dropped right there.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/IMG_0381.jpg

I've got some 70gr Barnes TSX loaded but the opportunity has not presented itself to try it out on anything.

BigBassMan
12-16-12, 16:26
Nice yote!! Just started hunting them myself.

Packman73
12-16-12, 18:01
I need to get out hunting coyote more but this time of year I'm all about the ducks. Great pic btw!