PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Changing from Glock 22 .40 to 9mm G17 / G34?

Devildawg2531
12-04-12, 19:26
Question I'm getting more interested in pistol cpmpetitions (IDPA, steel shoots, etc). I currently compete with either my Glock 22 or Glock 24 depending on what the rules of the competiion allow. I am interested in moving from 40 to 9 just for the competition due to ammo cost and I believe a faster time due to lower recoil of the 9.

So to questions how much does an "average" Marksman level shooter gain by dropping from 40 to 9 (I don't reload so I use regular FMJ)?

In going to 9mm I will either get a Gen 4 Glock 17 or a Gen 4 Glock 34 - how much (if any) does the Glock 34 improve your score / speed / accuracy over the G17?

I will keep my G22 and G24 so I will continue to carry and have these but the $3 to $4 per 50 rounds savings is a GREAT excuse to justify the 4th Glock :p

Devildawg2531
12-06-12, 13:25
Anbody made the transition from 40 to 9 or G17 to G34 and have some feedback?

Thanks

glockshooter
12-06-12, 19:32
If you are shooting IDPA there is an advantage with the lower recoil of a 9mm. If you are shooting USPSA then there is a minor/ major scoring method that makes you choose between less recoil and higher penalty for non A/B hits. In 3gun 9mm is preferred because there is no power factor and you can hold more rounds. I have shot both calipers in competition. I use whatever is most advantious at the time. It is not big deal switching back and forth, but it is easiest to switch from 40 to 9.

Matt

theblackknight
12-06-12, 20:09
If you are shooting IDPA there is an advantage with the lower recoil of a 9mm. If you are shooting USPSA then there is a minor/ major scoring method that makes you choose between less recoil and higher penalty for non A/B hits. In 3gun 9mm is preferred because there is no power factor and you can hold more rounds. I have shot both calipers in competition. I use whatever is most advantious at the time. It is not big deal switching back and forth, but it is easiest to switch from 40 to 9.

Matt

He prob wouldnt be shooting Limited from what it sounds like.

OP, I think since you are already wondering, you should switch. More rounds down range means you get better faster, and can apply that higher skill to your carry gun.

As for slide length, really the only difference is your 4 inch slide will snap a little more, but return down faster, where as a 5in slide will be slower seeming. I'm still not sure which one is truly "faster", it's all in how well we as shooters can track the sights during recoil. A 5 inch barrel will let you use slightly less powder charge if you ever reload, but thats for way down the road(for me too).

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2012/07/pro-am-prep-session-1-selecting-gun.html

You will gain a little depending on how you see the sights. If your gonna go full race set-up, put a fiber front on and you can go faster bc you wont have to spend as much time getting your good enough sight picture for each shot, most of IDPA's targets are in close, so you can just watch the red/green blur come back down and grap the next shot quicker.

Alaskapopo
12-07-12, 01:53
Question I'm getting more interested in pistol cpmpetitions (IDPA, steel shoots, etc). I currently compete with either my Glock 22 or Glock 24 depending on what the rules of the competiion allow. I am interested in moving from 40 to 9 just for the competition due to ammo cost and I believe a faster time due to lower recoil of the 9.

So to questions how much does an "average" Marksman level shooter gain by dropping from 40 to 9 (I don't reload so I use regular FMJ)?

With factory ammo quite a bit. If you reload you can make the 40 as soft as the 9mm. But with factory ammo you get a significant edge in shootability over the 40sw.
Pat

Alaskapopo
12-07-12, 01:55

Matt

Actually manor mino is for non A hits.

A with Major 5 points A with minor 5 points
B with Major 4 points B with minor 3 points
C with Major 4 points C with minor 3 points
D with Major 2 points D with minor 1 point.

Also in production division everything is scored minor regardless of caliber.
Pat

TomD
12-07-12, 12:57
IDPA has Production division?? This is a LOL, btw.

Alaskapopo
12-07-12, 14:38

USPSA does. He was asking about both sports. IDPA does not have major minor scoring either.
Pat

theblackknight
12-07-12, 19:47

Thats why I said he won't be shooting Limited. A fully done production glock 17/34 will fit into SSP or ESP just fine without being at a disadvantage before the beep.

Devildawg2531
12-07-12, 20:51
Thats why I said he won't be shooting Limited. A fully done production glock 17/34 will fit into SSP or ESP just fine without being at a disadvantage before the beep.

Yes I will shoot IDPA SSP with either G17 or G34 instead of my G22.

theblackknight
12-08-12, 21:09
You should find a shop that has a long slide and shoot it. I have a FS and a Pro M&P and I do like the longer slide with a fiber front bc I can watch the fiber as it settles after a shot.I'm not sure if that means anything bc my FS has carry sights and cycles faster.

Keith E.
12-09-12, 06:31
While defeating the goal of adding to your collection you could always pick up a 9mm barrel and some mags and run in one of your current forties to see how the 9mm works for you.

Keith

Devildawg2531
12-09-12, 16:43
While defeating the goal of adding to your collection you could always pick up a 9mm barrel and some mags and run in one of your current forties to see how the 9mm works for you.

Keith

I looked at the option of getting a 40 to 9 conversion barrel. After some research it appears the reliability isn't as good as the G34. Also for the cost of the conversion barrel I'm 1/4 of the way to having a stand alone Glock.

I've pretty well decided I'm getting a new Glock 34Gen 3 now just looking for the best price. Weclome any input on a great deal. I've found it new for $550 plus shipping.

Spiffums
12-09-12, 21:10
If you want the ablilty to use off the shelf ammo in a pinch get a G34. If you want to invest in reloading for the 40 you can get it really light. I shoot a G35 for IDPA so I kinda got both :D

JimM_PA
01-07-13, 21:19
I've shot my G22 in IDPA SSP and I've shot IDPA ESP with a 40-9 conversion barrel and 9mm mags. Both setups have been reliable and accurate and give me alot of flexibility with ammo choices. The G34 is a popular choice with many shooters here. If the price is right, the G34 is a solid choice.

NeoNeanderthal
01-07-13, 21:53
For me the increase in shoot-ability is not really in the reduced recoil but the cheaper ammo. The cheaper ammo allows me to shoot more and because i'm a new shooter that has really helped me increase my ability to shoot my gun.

Moltke
01-07-13, 22:16
Go with a 9mm and only shoot A zones.

xjustintimex
01-07-13, 23:31
when I turned 21 my first pistol was a g22. I competed with it and then switched to 9mm and I couldnt believe how much easier it was. You will not regret the change :D