PDA

View Full Version : Handguard decisions, a different twist?

LRB45
12-05-12, 05:56
I need a little help here in trying to find a handguard for my sons BCM 16" mid length.

Here is the twist though, my son lives with his mother and I can't always oversee what he orders for his gun. The gun had a Magpul Moe handguard but my son wanted a longer handguard so I shaved the fsp down. He had ordered a fake suppressor ,one that goes over the barrel and would make it look like a SBR, and he wants an 11" handguard and then with the fake can suddenly gives him that look he wants.

What my son is looking for is a quality 11" quad rail. His budget is under $200. What are his best options?

I told him to get a 12" tube rail in which the fake suppressor would slide into the rail until it comes to the gas block. The tube rails I recommended are the Troy Alpha, the Samson Evo and the Rainier version of the Evo.

Also my son is interested in the Troy quad rail because it falls in his budget requirements.

Thanks for any help and go easy on me and my son.

BillyJack2012
12-05-12, 08:17
Looks like you've already nailed down the list. Good options that fit what you are looking for and in your price range. Same list I narrowed down when I got my Samson. I also had MI on my short list though. Went with the Samson so I could use the stock barrel nut. Solid rail.

Noodles
12-05-12, 11:16
For the price, I really like the Rainier version of the Evo. Funny because I really don't like the Samson version at all.

fallenromeo
12-05-12, 11:54
I agree with the RA evo rail also. I run a Troy alpha and had a Troy quad rail on my last AR, I didn't like the quad rail and I wouldn't recommend it.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 16:53
I have a YHM on both of my uppers. I like it, it's very light, FF, and inexpensive.

Noodles
12-05-12, 16:55
I have a YHM on both of my uppers. I like it, it's very light, FF, and inexpensive.

And very large in diameter.

RD62
12-05-12, 17:06
The Troy Alpha, Samson Evo, or MI Gen II.

I'm sure the Rainier version of the Evo is at least equally as nice as Samsons.

For what it's worht, the install for the Evo should be easier than the MI Gen II.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 17:28
And very large in diameter.

True, but isn't he trying to fit a faux suppressor inside if it?

Or was that what you meant?

Noodles
12-05-12, 17:55
True, but isn't he trying to fit a faux suppressor inside if it?

Or was that what you meant?

No, I meant they are shitty/old feeling...

Oh I don't know... The pointlessness of the words "faux suppressor" don't usually register when I read things. Subconsciously I must see those words and my eyes avert and act quickly in order to prevent damage to my brain. I can not knowingly advise anyone seeking the above.