PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference in mak 90s ?

big honkin jeep
12-05-12, 12:39
What are the differences between a standard Norinco Mak 90 and a rifle with no manufacturers mark that I can find, that has mak 90 sporter on the side with an open top front sight hood and several ribs on the receiver cover? It says Armco ak47 made in China on one side and IAC Billarica Ma on the other. Any help Identifying differences appreciated.

Mr blasty
12-05-12, 13:17
I can't help you on the id problem but there are a few maks floating around that are considered unregistered full autos by the atf. China imported a few autos that they converted to semi's and the atf didn't go for it. I make it a point to check any mak's I deal with for this.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

crazymoose
12-05-12, 14:46
Interesting. Never seen a MAK with a ribbed cover. Could be someone swapped the original out (also could just be a variant I've never seen).

Most of the differences I've seen in the stamped MAK's have to do with the barrel. Different diameters and muzzle options. Some have intact threads with thread protectors tack-welded on, with the spring-loaded retainer pin intact, some have the threads visibly ground off, and some just have bare, un-threaded muzzles.

big honkin jeep
12-05-12, 16:09
Double post

big honkin jeep
12-05-12, 16:11
I am aware of the third hole no no receivers and that's not the case with this one. It has black lacquered furniture with an ambidextrous thumb hole stock. It looks like the threads have been turned off of the muzzle.

SteyrAUG
12-05-12, 16:29
Here is a good primer on early Chinese imports.

http://chicom47.com/Importers/ImportCompanies.htm

Doesn't specifically give answers to the Mak 90 question but lots of detail regarding markings.

big honkin jeep
12-05-12, 17:59
Thanks for the link. It appears all of the factory markings have been ground off prior to importation and the stamping on one side of the receiver is light. The finish though bright appears to be thin in some places.
I'm just trying to make sure I get the right parts to finish turning it into a 922r compliant rifle with a Vltor collapsible stock Kvar lower handguard. G2 trigger, ergo grip,ultimak rail and an aimpoint comp m2.

Trueno
12-05-12, 21:14
has mak 90 sporter on the side with an open top front sight hood

Sounds like a preban that just missed making it in under the wire but before the neutering began.

Does it have a cleaning rod or a hole for one in the lower handguard retainer?
How about the rear end of the rec'r, is it straight or angle-cut?
Bayonet lug on the gas block?

Either way, congrats and post some pics!

t

big honkin jeep
12-05-12, 23:09
I've been doing some research and I'm now pretty sure it was manufactured before the Chinese govt started marking Norinco on em.
The just under the wire theory is what I'm starting to suspect also. Especially since the serial prefix is 91 about the same time Armco (Stephen A Holmquist) came under indictment for 6 counts of importing firearms by means of false statements and 3 counts of exporting restricted firearms to China. It seems something like that might have held them up at customs a little longer than normal.

I'm starting to think the receiver cover may be a replacement but I'm not sure yet

The bayonet lug is ground off and there are milling marks on the front side of the front sight, I suspect from when the barrel threads were turned off. I haven't checked for a cleaning rod hole. It didn't come with a rod though. It is a used pickup in pretty good condition from quite some time ago at the right price. I just never got around to doing anything with it except shooting it at the range a couple of times. a couple of questions came up when I started looking for parts that got me to looking at it a little closer and searching for answers. I'll try and get some pics up if I can find a little time.

I just checked a post on another site and someone had posted a partial picture of a receiver from armslist with the same markings that appears to have the same receiver cover.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2011/08/01/171389_02_mak_90_ak47_for_sale_640.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.armslist.com/posts/171389&usg=__7KKUAf4mMfLAq3dNPM_64nFtuxw=&h=480&w=640&sz=29&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=K1oqBNCUXgOOyM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&ei=dPq_UOqFB4P42QXY84CQCg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DIAC%2BBillerica,%2Bmak%2B90%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

RedXd
01-12-13, 00:05
Sounds similar to mine. I'll check it out when I return home on Monday.

RearwardAssist
01-12-13, 00:17
Does it say nhm-90 on it anywhere they dont have the ribbed cover, but I dont know of any other mak 90 that does. I have seen plenty of NHM-90s that dont carry the norinco mark or names on them. They typicall have an open hood and the barrel is threaded and cap welded instead of the threads being turned off which is typical of a mak-90 any chance of a pic of the complete rifle?