PDA

View Full Version : HK MR556AI - Use with a suppressor

rodmichael
12-05-12, 15:41
Does anyone have thought(s) regarding use of the MR556A1 with a suppressor? Do I need to use a heavier buffer/buffer spring?

I spoke with HK-USA customer service this afternoon and they indicated no need for changing the buffer components at all. HK does not make special buffer components for suppressed use. However, it seems to me that the rifle (and the shooter) might benefit from some heavier components.

That said, the HK owner's manual indicates warranty issues if 2nd party components are incorporated.

Any thoughts, anyone?

SteyrAUG
12-05-12, 16:33
I don't see any benefit to changing anything.

ApexAchilles
12-05-12, 17:38
It should be fine as is.

Magic_Salad0892
12-06-12, 00:16
It comes with an adjustable gas block for a reason.

Arctic1
12-06-12, 02:07
It comes with an adjustable gas block for a reason.

As far as I know, only mil HK416's come with the adjustable gas regulator, and not everyone has chosen that option....I think we may be the only ones on a large scale. The HK416 IC competition gun has the AGR as well.

The gas system, ie regular gas block, is said to be self adjusting, to a certain extent, but I haven't shot one with a suppressor.

bigdog2003_99
12-06-12, 20:25
My 10.5" 416 upper did not have an agr, it also hated being run suppressed. It ate my bolt catch in around 500 rounds, I had to put a 9mm buffer in it to slow it down.

Pistolero
12-06-12, 21:23
Regular MR556 will probably be very front heavy depending on what can you use, something to consider, but I doubt you will need to change out anything. If nothing else just try shooting it with the can on first before you decide to change things that may not even have to be changed.

Magic_Salad0892
12-07-12, 02:35
As far as I know, only mil HK416's come with the adjustable gas regulator, and not everyone has chosen that option....I think we may be the only ones on a large scale. The HK416 IC competition gun has the AGR as well.

The gas system, ie regular gas block, is said to be self adjusting, to a certain extent, but I haven't shot one with a suppressor.

Nevermind. I thought they all came with it.

That's retarded actually.

Pistolero
12-07-12, 03:18
Nevermind. I thought they all came with it.

That's retarded actually.

When you buy HK the retardation is an unavoidable part of the package, it will haunt you in some way shape or form. And I say this as a huge HK fan, in fact over half of my pistol collection are HK's.

Magic_Salad0892
12-07-12, 04:23
Can you at least get the adjustable block from HKParts.net and install it yourself?

montrala
12-07-12, 06:12
16.5" MR556 takes suppressing quite good. It is not as overgassed as 10.4" version, thanks to dump hole in gas block (newer 10.4" got dump hole as well, newest will have AGR).

You do not need heavier buffer, as HK buffer is already one of heaviest on the market. You can use Wolff XP recoil spring, with is only carbine spring that is heavier than original HK spring.

Actually for shooting without suppressor in 16.5" HK I use lighter recoil spring and lighter buffer that original HK setup.

Doc. Holiday
12-07-12, 22:44
Regular MR556 will probably be very front heavy depending on what can you use, something to consider, but I doubt you will need to change out anything. If nothing else just try shooting it with the can on first before you decide to change things that may not even have to be changed.

That thing already is super heavy.... :S

montrala
12-10-12, 05:55
That thing already is super heavy.... :S

You did not try HK G28 yet :lol:

alienb1212
12-10-12, 06:37
Yeah, I'm sure HK doesn't know anything about the weapon they made, so why don't you ask a bunch of people you don't know on the internet if they think you should void your warranty by doing something you don't need to do.

I might be cranky as it's still early but what the ****? Asking HK and getting the correct response should have been where this line of thought ended.

Doc. Holiday
12-10-12, 08:45
Yea but there are some companies out there that say a lot of things that their product really isn't. *cough Glock! *cough. I don't think there is anything wrong by getting some opinions some other folks.