PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Inquiries Becoming A Joke, True Accountability Seems To No Longer Exist

Safetyhit
12-05-12, 21:38
Better watch out you prominent bad people you, because if you're really high up there and do something really bad we'll waste thousands of taxpayer dollars pretending we're really mad and that now you're really in for it.

But in the end it's all spectacle designed to appease the peons and leads no where of course, so basically carry on.

Holder, Benghazi, Solyndra, the corrupt bankers, on and on. All seemingly in the past and forgotten already. The whole system is really starting to suck and is becoming deeply troubling.

Belmont31R
12-05-12, 21:46
Yup. Just a dog and pony show.

Safetyhit
12-06-12, 07:15
Yup. Just a dog and pony show.

Well it is now, but has it always been this way? Didn't there used to be a point to such things, criminal charges if I recall?

I guess the point is that our government seems just as if not more corrupt than ever, yet less accountability and justice served seems to now be fully expected. Is my perception off due to frustration or is government accountability really dead?

Kfgk14
12-06-12, 15:21
Well it is now, but has it always been this way? Didn't there used to be a point to such things, criminal charges if I recall?

I guess the point is that our government seems just as if not more corrupt than ever, yet less accountability and justice served seems to now be fully expected. Is my perception off due to frustration or is government accountability really dead?

Our government has an INCREDIBLY corrupt history...Just like every other government in the world. Even in the early 19th century, corruption ran rampant.

it's the nature of government. And the larger the government gets, the less accountable for the corruption they become. Thus, corruption expands.

It's human nature to use power for personal gains, for pushing one's agenda. So why give other people so much power over yourself? Keep the government as small as possible, only as large as is absolutely necessary for the survival of society, no larger.

Okay, soapbox dismounted. Carry on.

Koshinn
12-06-12, 16:16
Congressional inquiries have no judicial power and never have.

Safetyhit
12-06-12, 17:03
Congressional inquiries have no judicial power and never have.

Are you stating that such inquiries have no option or means to lead to criminal prosecution?

Safetyhit
12-06-12, 17:08
Our government has an INCREDIBLY corrupt history...Just like every other government in the world. Even in the early 19th century, corruption ran rampant.

This part is understood and then some. But the question I can't help but ask now is whether or not things are getting substantially worse.

Honu
12-06-12, 19:08
This part is understood and then some. But the question I can't help but ask now is whether or not things are getting substantially worse.

I think they are !

I think in my life time what happened to Nixon !
just over messing around with a Girl Clinton got pushed around but at least he came clean ! and I say if you lie to your wife who you took a oath with and supposedly love think about how he will lie to folks he does not know about and care about !

obama gets us people killed lies about the recent attacks also has carried out drone strikes on US citizens and gets praised

yes things are spiraling out of control big time

considering the spending and such on top of all this and the lack of care toward the conservatives he has we are in for a rough ride

GeorgiaBoy
12-06-12, 19:14
Expecting the government to be free from corruption is like expecting humans to be free from corruption. It isn't going to happen. Humans, by nature, are corrupt.

Expecting our federal government to be free from corruption when most city councils or even county school boards can't be is hopeless expectation.

It wasn't even a decade after the constitution was ratified that the same people responsible for the creation of this country were already violating the rights protected by that very constitution. (John Adams and the rest of the Federalists)

We take our ability to criticize Obama and the rest of the government for granted. You would be arrested if this was 1798. Fox News would have been shut down.

Safetyhit
12-06-12, 19:45
Expecting the government to be free from corruption is like expecting humans to be free from corruption. It isn't going to happen. Humans, by nature, are corrupt.

Who said I or anyone else expected the government to be free of corruption? If you're addressing me then take a few moments to read my posts.

I'm asking others if the rampant lack of accountability has gotten worse specifically because of events that have unfolded over the past four years. If this type of situation on this big a scale has ever been equaled then I'd be interested to learn about it.

And again, what makes a Congressional Inquiry a threat to any wrongdoer these days beyond sitting in front of cameras for an hour or two?

GeorgiaBoy
12-06-12, 20:06
Who said I or anyone else expected the government to be free of corruption? If you're addressing me then take a few moments to read my posts.

Easy now. It's a blanket statement, directed at no one in particular.

People have always longed for a corruption-free government. The problem is, it simply isn't going to happen.

Are we having more corruption today than ever before? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe today we actually known more about the corruption than ever before, and thus it makes it look like there is more, when there actually isn't.

RogerinTPA
12-06-12, 20:21
The accountability was lost four years ago when the liberal news media gave him a pass. If a Republican had been in office being this dishonest, deceptive, incompetent with all the scandals that have occurred, costing Americans lives, forcing shit through without a vote or discussion through the Hill, the liberals would have marched on the white house in the middle of the night with torches, and would have called for impeachment right off the bat. If it wasn't for Fox News, we wouldn't have heard a damn thing. When the media stops doing it's job of questioning and seeking accountability from our elected officials, the folks in office don't have to account for anything. With weak republicans in the House, face it, we're ****ed for the next four years. Get used to it.

glocktogo
12-06-12, 20:23
Congress IS A Joke, True Accountability Seems To No Longer Exist

Fixed it for you! :mad:

Koshinn
12-06-12, 20:51
Are you stating that such inquiries have no option or means to lead to criminal prosecution?

That is correct. The purpose of congressional inquiries is to provide better information for future legislation. They can also be used as oversight to ensure the legislative intent is followed by the executive branch, and there are a few other uses as well. But the idea is it's just a fact finding mission. We have a separation of powers in this country for a reason.

However, prosecutors may use the information obtained in the inquiry as a basis for a separate criminal trial.

Denali
12-06-12, 21:21
Better watch out you prominent bad people you, because if you're really high up there and do something really bad we'll waste thousands of taxpayer dollars pretending we're really mad and that now you're really in for it.

But in the end it's all spectacle designed to appease the peons and leads no where of course, so basically carry on.

Holder, Benghazi, Solyndra, the corrupt bankers, on and on. All seemingly in the past and forgotten already. The whole system is really starting to suck and is becoming deeply troubling.

In all seriousness, Richard Nixon was a saint, a man maligned by the marxist media apparatus, an absolute piker compared to the corruption of the neo-dems, and their media monopoly.

If Nixon had been a marxist, they'd have canonized him for Watergate, which by and of itself, was childsplay compared to what Obama is getting away with....

Safetyhit
12-07-12, 07:04
However, prosecutors may use the information obtained in the inquiry as a basis for a separate criminal trial.

Exactly, which is what hasn't happened in any of the cases I mentioned despite proven and lies, deceit, collusion and corruption. If the aforementioned cases don't warrant someone being charged then we have a more serious problem than I thought we did in this country.

Always knew there was rampant insider dealings and corruption, I just thought once you were not only caught doing them and also caught lying about it to congress you actually had legal ramifications to deal with.

Koshinn
12-07-12, 07:54
Exactly, which is what hasn't happened in any of the cases I mentioned despite proven and lies, deceit, collusion and corruption. If the aforementioned cases don't warrant someone being charged then we have a more serious problem than I thought we did in this country.

Always knew there was rampant insider dealings and corruption, I just thought once you were not only caught doing them and also caught lying about it to congress you actually had legal ramifications to deal with.

But prosecutors don't necessarily have anything to do with Congress except waiting for the report or sitting in on the hearings.

You should be blaming the Justice Dept, not Congress in this case. And remember that civil and criminal cases have a very different level of proof required... Just because Congress finds something doesn't mean it will be enough for a criminal conviction.

And the majority of civil cases are settled out of court.

Safetyhit
12-07-12, 09:09
But prosecutors don't necessarily have anything to do with Congress except waiting for the report or sitting in on the hearings.

You should be blaming the Justice Dept, not Congress in this case. And remember that civil and criminal cases have a very different level of proof required... Just because Congress finds something doesn't mean it will be enough for a criminal conviction.

I've done a poor job of explaining my concern, as I understand that the Justice Dept files charges. However what I don't understand is how no one has been charged as a result of an overtly damning congressional review during which they almost certainly perjured themselves while covering up either gross negligence or malicious intent.

Holder is the current root of the problem, no doubt about it. This to the extent that he himself is another proven liar escaping justice. But everyone is just accepting that this overly politicized justice department can overlook crimes and gross negligence at will while even committing a few of both themselves along the way.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I paid so much close attention the past four years but things seem very bad in that specific regard right now. Three or four Republicans get upset for a week and then all is seemingly forgotten.

Spiffums
12-07-12, 11:27
I knew it was all a fake when the only thing Congress had time for was who was juiced up for base ball...............We have bigger problems to fix than that but there we were with Congress worried about who was using drugs.