PDA

View Full Version : Handgun safe?

BigLarge
12-06-12, 04:33
Anyone have a recommendation for a small handgun safe? I already have a full-size one for my rifles. I need a good handgun safe that will last daily use I can mount discreetly somewhere downstairs for my EDC gun/knife. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Suggestions?

PlatoCATM
12-06-12, 04:52
Check out the FAS1 or the Vline series. I have the FAS1, but don't have enough time with it to speak on the durability. It seems solid though, and I like the push-button unlocking mechanism.

R0CKETMAN
12-06-12, 05:08
Wanted to ensure you saw the news story that came out over the summer. Some of the common electronic safes are easily opened.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

smoky
12-06-12, 05:23
I went to a local hardware store and picked up a small Sentry Safe (Not sure of the exact model, on my phone).

It's fire resistant, has the cross bolts that latch on either side of the door, and has a pin pad with a 5 digit PIN. It also has a secondary PIN and is programmable. It also comes with a key that let's you lock it down to where not even the PIN can get it open. It also came with all of the necessary mounting hardware.

It's small enough that it will fit in the corner of a hall closet. It will hold 4-5 pistols with magazines on the top shelf and about 800 rounds of assorted ammo on the bottom.

This may be a bit bigger than you need, but it is definitely much more secure than the standard one-pistol safes.

Kokopelli
12-06-12, 06:29
Small safes are harder to secure than larger ones. I have one of the cheaper ones bolted through the floor of my truck for use if necessary while away from the home. Why not just keep your stuff in the larger safe? Ron

A62Rambler
12-06-12, 18:24
I have a liberty safe and it isn't as nicely finished as other safes but has been a good safe. I know that they also make home/office safes. Not pushing this brand but I would think other brands would make the office safes as well. If you like your gun safe you might see if the same company makes a home/office safe. They cost nearly as much as a small gun safe though.

BigLarge
12-08-12, 01:23
Check out the FAS1 or the Vline series. I have the FAS1, but don't have enough time with it to speak on the durability. It seems solid though, and I like the push-button unlocking mechanism.

Will check them out, thanks

Wanted to ensure you saw the news story that came out over the summer. Some of the common electronic safes are easily opened.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

I had not seen that. Scary... thanks

I went to a local hardware store and picked up a small Sentry Safe (Not sure of the exact model, on my phone).

It's fire resistant, has the cross bolts that latch on either side of the door, and has a pin pad with a 5 digit PIN. It also has a secondary PIN and is programmable. It also comes with a key that let's you lock it down to where not even the PIN can get it open. It also came with all of the necessary mounting hardware.

It's small enough that it will fit in the corner of a hall closet. It will hold 4-5 pistols with magazines on the top shelf and about 800 rounds of assorted ammo on the bottom.

This may be a bit bigger than you need, but it is definitely much more secure than the standard one-pistol safes.

Good idea, i'll check those out too. Just want something small enough I can mount on a closet shelf or kitchen cabinet or something...

Small safes are harder to secure than larger ones. I have one of the cheaper ones bolted through the floor of my truck for use if necessary while away from the home. Why not just keep your stuff in the larger safe? Ron

Larger safe is upstairs, and generally when i get home stuff just gets placed on the kitchen counter or wherever (including my handgun). This is a bad habit, obviously! Plus, I spend 90% of my time downstairs, and would like a pistol secured, but more readily available

FAS1
12-08-12, 09:41
Anyone have a recommendation for a small handgun safe? I already have a full-size one for my rifles. I need a good handgun safe that will last daily use I can mount discreetly somewhere downstairs for my EDC gun/knife. Suggestions?

For something that is relatively secure, quick, and will last many years if not a life time, consider the ones available that use a mechanical push-button lock. The boxes are usually heavier gauge steel and if the lock ever does fail it is replaceable. V-Line, Fort Knox, FAS1 Safe are some examples. Also, bolt it down to something solid and they will buy you a little more time from theft.

Thank you. I'm also partial to this one :D

http://www.fas1safe.com/images/FAS1%20Open%20Side%20(2).jpg

Hmac
12-08-12, 10:06
My goal for a gun safe, handgun or rifle, is for it to keep guns out of the hands of children. In order to keep them from being stolen by even a semi-competent thief, especially a handgun safe that can be carried, you'd need to spend a lot of money...money that I'd far rather spend on a good replacement-value insurance policy.

For handguns, I use a nice, simple, cheap electronic safe. IIRC, I paid about $50 for it from Cabelas a couple of years ago. It's been reliable and very easy to use. Certainly not secure from a master jewel thief, but I have good insurance. It keeps guns out of the hands of the idly curious and that's all I care about.

http://SSEquine.net/pistol safe 2.jpg http://SSEquine.net/pistol safe.jpg

BigLarge
12-08-12, 15:38
My goal for a gun safe, handgun or rifle, is for it to keep guns out of the hands of children. In order to keep them from being stolen by even a semi-competent thief, especially a handgun safe that can be carried, you'd need to spend a lot of money...money that I'd far rather spend on a good replacement-value insurance policy.

For handguns, I use a nice, simple, cheap electronic safe. IIRC, I paid about $50 for it from Cabelas a couple of years ago. It's been reliable and very easy to use. Certainly not secure from a master jewel thief, but I have good insurance. It keeps guns out of the hands of the idly curious and that's all I care about.

We are on the same page. The most important thing is keeping the guns away from the curious and out of immediate control by thieves.

usmcvet
07-08-15, 09:57
For something that is relatively secure, quick, and will last many years if not a life time, consider the ones available that use a mechanical push-button lock. The boxes are usually heavier gauge steel and if the lock ever does fail it is replaceable. V-Line, Fort Knox, FAS1 Safe are some examples. Also, bolt it down to something solid and they will buy you a little more time from theft.

Thank you. I'm also partial to this one :D

http://www.fas1safe.com/images/FAS1%20Open%20Side%20(2).jpg

Who makes it and what's the model number? Thanks.

usmcvet
07-08-15, 09:58
Found it.

http://www.fas1safe.com/