PDA

View Full Version : My "HOT MESS" S&W M&P 15-22

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 09:38
The 15-22 is a favorite gun of mine, but there are some things that I just didn't like about it. One was the rail. I am not a fan of big quad rails. I also wanted an SBR to better match my main training AR (which is a 10.5).

For those that don't know, you cannot simply remove the factory rail and install a different rail. The first problem is that the barrel nut has no external threads for a standard GI sized nut to screw onto. The second problem is that there are two alignment tabs that won't allow the barrel nut to come all the way back.

After doing some research, I stumbled upon a company called Tacticool22. This company makes a barrel nut with female and male threads. This allows you to secure the barrel to the receiver AND install any rail you want.

The hardest part of the install is hand filing down the two alignment tabs. They must be flush with the upper receiver in order to get the barrel nut all the way back. Once this is done, the rest of the install was simple.

I wanted something clean and lite so I decided to try the Lancer Carbon Fiber Mid-Length rail. It has a QD system built in and I knew I could fit my Gemtech G5-22 inside of it.

Project was a lot of fun and I now have the coolest 15-22 on the planet! :D

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/15-22A.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/15-22_LancerB.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/15-22B.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/15-22_Lancer.jpg

SurplusShooter
12-06-12, 09:58
Thank you for posting about the barrel-nut solution.

You didn't say, but I gather from the pics that makes your rail now free-floated?

w8liftr
12-06-12, 10:01
That is cool. Nice work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 10:01
Thank you for posting about the barrel-nut solution.

You didn't say, but I gather from the pics that makes your rail now free-floated?

Correct on Free Floating.

C4

ReaperAZ
12-06-12, 10:07
Good stuff Grant, now how much that sucker weigh!

markm
12-06-12, 10:11

Why would that matter on a Rimfire gun?

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 10:28
Good stuff Grant, now how much that sucker weigh!

5LBS (unloaded).

C4

SHIVAN
12-06-12, 10:31
Interesting. Is that the M&P22 lower, or another lower?

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 10:33
Interesting. Is that the M&P22 lower, or another lower?

15-22 Lower.

C4

sadmin
12-06-12, 10:41
Looks great! Did you cut the factory barrel or will other standard .22 barrels fit properly? I have wanted a more accurate barrel in mine...

Thanks

fallenromeo
12-06-12, 10:43
Very cool little rifle you have there. Makes my 15-22 look like a big pile of garbage. :(

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 10:48
Looks great! Did you cut the factory barrel or will other standard .22 barrels fit properly? I have wanted a more accurate barrel in mine...

Thanks

Cut the barrel.

C4

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 10:48
Very cool little rifle you have there. Makes my 15-22 look like a big pile of garbage. :(

LOL, ya I know (as mine used to look like that). :haha:

C4

MistWolf
12-06-12, 10:50
I like it. Can you tell us more about the Lancer handguards? How does it mount? Does it have a replacement barrel nut, then attach to the barrel nut with screws?

ReaperAZ
12-06-12, 11:05
5LBS (unloaded).

C4

Nice, about the same as my Springfield TRP. hahahaha

In all seriousness though that thing is wicked.

SurplusShooter
12-06-12, 11:18
Why would that matter on a Rimfire gun?

I don't think it makes much difference for close-range or casual plinking.
but, for longer range (e.g. if you are shooting with optics):
If you read the other threads on the M&P-15-22, many people report accuracy problems using the rifle with a sling if they tighten the sling for support while shooting. The factory handguard (quad-rail) has a front space that clips-in and (loosely) rests against the barrel, but when putting stress on the handguard this presses against the barrel near its mid-point with varying levels of force.
Disclaimer: I've never shot mine with optics or at long range or with a sling so I can't say first-hand, but I'm just pointing out other threads on this board answer that question, since you asked.

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 11:20
I like it. Can you tell us more about the Lancer handguards? How does it mount? Does it have a replacement barrel nut, then attach to the barrel nut with screws?

The Lancer is similar to the PRI system but without the glued (epoxy) tube to metal sleeve (that never worked well). You have to red loctite on the barrel nut, let it dry (24hrs) and then screw in the ring and torque it on. Then the tube slides over it (press fit) and then is screwed down onto the ring (or collar if you will).

C4

bobsolla
12-06-12, 11:32
great website!my buddy has one,and only have an old mossberg .22 bolt action target.i want a semi,but don`t want the ruger 10/22,as i want to stay with the same system;so i guess one is in my near future and this website will help me at least free float the rail for accuracy!

rauchman
12-06-12, 12:51
Very cool. I've been seriously thinking about picking one of these up for cheap training.

What kind of accuracy is the gun capable of?

John Hearne
12-06-12, 12:54
many people report accuracy problems using the rifle with a sling if they tighten the sling for support while shooting. The factory handguard (quad-rail) has a front space that clips-in and (loosely) rests against the barrel, but when putting stress on the handguard this presses against the barrel near its mid-point with varying levels of force.

I've seen it myself, easily a 5" shift at 25 yards. My solution was not as cool. I bought a True Shot 15-22 sight base. I did not like the attachment system (clamp, loc-tite, and hope) so I had our local black gun gunsmith, drill and tap it with a set screw through the bayonet lug. He then dimpled the 15-22 barrel and installed the sight base. I am now free floated for less than $75.

Detail of drill and tap through bayonet lug:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/front_sight_detail.jpg

Installed closeup:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/installed.jpg

Overall view:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/overall.jpg

True Shot Website:
http://www.trueshottechnologies.com/SMITH_WESSON_1522.html

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 13:02
Very cool. I've been seriously thinking about picking one of these up for cheap training.

What kind of accuracy is the gun capable of?

Don't know as I never measured accuracy. Good enough for B8 targets out to 50yds for sure.

C4

MistWolf
12-06-12, 13:19
The Lancer is similar to the PRI system but without the glued (epoxy) tube to metal sleeve (that never worked well). You have to red loctite on the barrel nut, let it dry (24hrs) and then screw in the ring and torque it on. Then the tube slides over it (press fit) and then is screwed down onto the ring (or collar if you will).

C4

Thank you Grant. One change I want to do to my carbine is install free a carbon fiber free float tube. I have a PRI on my precision AR and it works great, but I have not run that rifle near as hard as I have the carbine.

I'll be looking further into the Lancer Carbon Fiber Tube. It's caught my interest

C4IGrant
12-06-12, 13:24
Thank you Grant. One change I want to do to my carbine is install free a carbon fiber free float tube. I have a PRI on my precision AR and it works great, but I have not run that rifle near as hard as I have the carbine.

I'll be looking further into the Lancer Carbon Fiber Tube. It's caught my interest

I like the Lancer carbon fiber tubes better than the PRI's (have used both).

C4

Col_Crocs
12-06-12, 16:12
Grant, how are you liking the Bravo stock?;)

ASH556
12-07-12, 09:25

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/ohcat.jpg

C4IGrant
12-07-12, 09:28

I have no idea what you are talking about. :dirol:

C4

zxd9
12-07-12, 10:19
I don't think it makes much difference for close-range or casual plinking.
but, for longer range (e.g. if you are shooting with optics):
If you read the other threads on the M&P-15-22, many people report accuracy problems using the rifle with a sling if they tighten the sling for support while shooting. The factory handguard (quad-rail) has a front space that clips-in and (loosely) rests against the barrel, but when putting stress on the handguard this presses against the barrel near its mid-point with varying levels of force.
Disclaimer: I've never shot mine with optics or at long range or with a sling so I can't say first-hand, but I'm just pointing out other threads on this board answer that question, since you asked.

Per S&W you can remove that handguard cap at the front of the handguard. It is only for appearance. That should help with the sling issue.

Gunzilla
12-07-12, 10:45
Great Job!! Yours looks great.....but now that you have it all decked out you need to get it out to some tactical .22 matches like the ones we have here.

This video show me shooting a brand spanking new 15-22 at our last match, the other videos I've done are with my older 15-22 without the flash hider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdEjY61oEs

Installing a free float hand guard on my 15-22 is my next project. After using my box-stock 15-22 at an Appleseed event 2 years ago I found that slinging the 15-22, and using it as designed, it creates a tension on the quadrail and pulls the front sight off target. This free float mod eliminates that from happening.

The guy that came up with this mod is a saint in my book.

Ouroborous
12-07-12, 11:41
I've seen it myself, easily a 5" shift at 25 yards. My solution was not as cool. I bought a True Shot 15-22 sight base. I did not like the attachment system (clamp, loc-tite, and hope) so I had our local black gun gunsmith, drill and tap it with a set screw through the bayonet lug. He then dimpled the 15-22 barrel and installed the sight base. I am now free floated for less than $75.

Detail of drill and tap through bayonet lug:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/front_sight_detail.jpg

Installed closeup:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/installed.jpg

Overall view:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/Gun%20Stuff/overall.jpg

True Shot Website:
http://www.trueshottechnologies.com/SMITH_WESSON_1522.html

Thanks for posting this.

For the record, I removed the plastic rail end plate to get more of a free float. Haven't noticed any accuracy issues when putting tension on the rail since I removed it.

Grant, that is one wicked 15-22 you got there-nice job man!

Texas42
12-07-12, 11:46
:)

very nice.

The Virus
12-11-12, 13:05
Taking notes.....going to copy you with a cheaper FF hand gaurd.
Also considering a comp, found a thread about it.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/187150-muzzle-break-15-22-really.html

Pork Chop
01-06-13, 11:18
Grant, sorry for digging this thread back up, but I just picked up a 15-22 without the threaded barrel (standard vanilla model) and was tossing around the idea of having the barrel cut to 14.5" and pinning an A2X to bring me to 16".

My questions:
1. Is that something you are interested in doing?
2. If not, who would you recommend?

Gunzilla
01-06-13, 11:51
Grant, sorry for digging this thread back up, but I just picked up a 15-22 without the threaded barrel (standard vanilla model) and was tossing around the idea of having the barrel cut to 14.5" and pinning an A2X to bring me to 16".

My questions:

You should ask this on the S&W forum where there are a lot of people that know many different resources for the 15-22, you may get lucky and find someone close to you that can do various 15-22 mods for (or with) you.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

Good luck.

C4IGrant
01-06-13, 12:34

My questions:

The first question you should ask yourself is, do I intend to ever buy a suppressor for it? If your answer is no, I would really rethink this (as .22 cans are awesome).

So, yes I would get the barrel threaded. I wouldn't cut it back to 14.5 and permanently pin a FH to it though. The reason is because you won't ever be able to attach a suppressor AND the cost VS benefit simply isn't there.

For barrel threading and pinning, I would recommend ADCO Firearms.

C4

xjustintimex
01-06-13, 13:29
I sorta lost interest in my 15-22 but this is inspiring! So awesome

buckjay
01-06-13, 15:04
I went another route with my .22. CMMG dedicated barrel cut to 14.5" with dedicated CMMG SS bolt and built it with AR parts.

http://buckjay.com/drop/fde-22.jpg

Pork Chop
01-07-13, 19:46
The first question you should ask yourself is, do I intend to ever buy a suppressor for it? If your answer is no, I would really rethink this (as .22 cans are awesome).

So, yes I would get the barrel threaded. I wouldn't cut it back to 14.5 and permanently pin a FH to it though. The reason is because you won't ever be able to attach a suppressor AND the cost VS benefit simply isn't there.

For barrel threading and pinning, I would recommend ADCO Firearms.

C4

Thanks for the reply and yes, I had tossed around the idea of a suppressor, but for this particular rifle my primary intended use is to shoot rimfire matches with my 8 year old daughter & I'm not sure if I want to tack on all the expense of a can for it all things considered. Maybe I'll rethink that before going forward.

Thanks for your insight.

StewDaddy
01-07-13, 23:58
i just got one of these i may have to steal a few ideas from ya thanks for posting

Razorhunter
01-08-13, 07:33
Could someone give me a quick rundown of why the S&W M&P22 is the best, or one of the best 22 AR options out there, as opposed, to say, the Colt, CMMG or other options??? What is different about the Colt, CMMG and other 22 AR's? Thanks guys

ETA, damn buckjay, that URX 3.1 is amazing looking on ur CMMG 22. What FDE finish did you use, and who finished it? Details please!

C4IGrant
01-08-13, 08:33
Could someone give me a quick rundown of why the S&W M&P22 is the best, or one of the best 22 AR options out there, as opposed, to say, the Colt, CMMG or other options??? What is different about the Colt, CMMG and other 22 AR's? Thanks guys

ETA, damn buckjay, that URX 3.1 is amazing looking on ur CMMG 22. What FDE finish did you use, and who finished it? Details please!

Sure. One word; RELIABLE. The mags also cheap ($16-$17) and have excellent CS standing behind me.

Having used all the .22 AR's you have mentioned, they all suck compared to the M&P 15-22.

C4

buckyn8
01-08-13, 08:35
I just sold mine last month and now you are making me regret it! Looks great!

Moltke
01-08-13, 08:45
Grant,

Nice job, but where's your ambi selector and BAD lever?!?!?!

Failure2Stop
01-08-13, 08:52
Sure. One word; RELIABLE. The mags also cheap ($16-$17) and have excellent CS standing behind me.

Having used all the .22 AR's you have mentioned, they all suck compared to the M&P 15-22.

C4

They are also extremely cost-competitive to the dedicated uppers.
CMMG: $450 without sights or rails. For just the upper. And you will probably want to put it on its own lower instead of sharing lowers.
M&P 15-22: $450 (in reasonable times) ready to go.

C4IGrant
01-08-13, 09:03
They are also extremely cost-competitive to the dedicated uppers.
CMMG: $450 without sights or rails. For just the upper. And you will probably want to put it on its own lower instead of sharing lowers.
M&P 15-22: $450 (in reasonable times) ready to go.

Ya, we used to sell a lot of the basic models for UNDER $400.

C4

C4IGrant
01-08-13, 09:07
Grant,

Nice job, but where's your ambi selector and BAD lever?!?!?!

Grrrr. :no:

C4

Failure2Stop
01-08-13, 10:06
Ya, we used to sell a lot of the basic models for UNDER $400.

C4

For the record, this almost makes me shed a tear for "the old days".

Pork Chop
01-08-13, 10:20
I'd been looking around and found one (of all places) at Walmart. Unfortunately, it was just a plain vanilla model w/out threaded barrel, but for $447 I figured I could dump some extra coin into it. Especially after seeing the crazy inflated retard prices they were getting on gun broker.

chapperjoe
01-08-13, 10:20
I finally broke down and decided I wanted one.

I never appreciated 22 since without recoil I didn't "Get" anything from it.

But given ammo costs... just having a platform I can bang away with, while using the same controls/optics/etc as my AR's..... I finally broke down.

Thank g-d there are still a few out there.

Grant if you have any in stock lemme know, otherwise I have to eat 100$ and go to buds for 600$:mad:

Pork Chop
01-08-13, 10:26
Grant, For what it's worth, I'm on your email list for an MOE model and I think I'll stay on it because I have 4 kids who are already bickering over this one. I may need 3 or 4 of them before I'm done. :)

Any idea what the prices are going to do on these? Not asking for specifics, just a general idea.

chapperjoe
01-08-13, 10:41
Didn't realize there's a list, I'll try and get on it.

Failure2Stop
01-08-13, 11:03
I finally broke down and decided I wanted one.

I never appreciated 22 since without recoil I didn't "Get" anything from it.

There are a ton of excellent skills drills to do that don't require recoil to greatly enhance proficiency.
Also, the low velocity really hammers home follow-through.

chapperjoe
01-08-13, 11:07
I was not receptive to these lines of thought when M855 ammo was 350$ simply because I didn't mind practicing with "real" ammo.

I am now.

Failure2Stop
01-08-13, 11:18
I was not receptive to these lines of thought when M855 ammo was 350$ simply because I didn't mind practicing with "real" ammo.

I am now.

I feel ya, even then I liked 22 for the ability to shoot steel at very close range.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

chapperjoe
01-09-13, 08:37
sealed a deal yesterday, 2 mags, non threaded model, lightly used 475 shipped.

have 4 mags from a previous deal and 4000 rds of m-22 ammo as well.

these mags fit in some AR-mag pouches? most? all? (non kydex of coursE)

BTL BRN
01-09-13, 10:37

I am now.

Very much agreed, my 15-22 is getting the most trigger time in my home lately; so much so I am likely going to pick up another. Does S&W sell replacement "carriers" or extractors for these? It might be a good idea to have a few extras in the long run.

SurplusShooter
01-09-13, 12:34
Does S&W sell replacement "carriers" or extractors for these? It might be a good idea to have a few extras in the long run.
No they do not.

Last year I had an extractor blow-out, recently had a firing-pin broke.
Both times S&W said "no we don't send you parts, you send the rifle to us".

I shoot In a few Rimfire competitions, so depending on the season I usually fire around 250 rounds/month up to 1K rounds/month out of this M&P-15-22 .

Too late now, but times like these I wish I had a second M&P-15-22 as a backup. (maybe after the panic )

bigredneck61088
01-10-13, 16:38
Maybe one of these needs to be my next purchase

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chapperjoe
01-22-13, 13:39
2 available here.

probably gone by now

http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8589&referrer=cnwr_4191340829622

SurplusShooter
01-22-13, 15:49
Maybe one of these needs to be my next purchase

If you like the M4/AR15 style platform (I guess 'yes' since you are on this site) then yes, it's great fun without the guilty feeling of burning-up expensive ammo.

Now if only I could find some more .22LR ammo; that's almost as hard to find as .223 :(

hogpowr
01-23-13, 21:41
I put the base model in layaway, @ Gander Mt. $499, if they ban these evil weapons before I pay it off, I wonder if I still get to buy the rifle.

They had a Mossberg and a h&k,....this thread confirms that I made the right choice.

Atlshaun
01-25-13, 19:49
A LGS in my AO gave me the heads up that he has one in stock. Its one with thethreaded barrel. Snagging it tomorrow for 449...gonna use itto teach the nephews.

Thanks for the post and subsequent info.

armed_zebra
01-30-13, 21:01
I read through this thread twice and can't find where you might have mentioned barrel length. How long did you end up going?