PDA

View Full Version : School Project - Daniel Defense Survey

J8127
12-06-12, 12:27
Gents,

I've been taking business classes as time allows and am currently in a class about brand equity and such. The project for the course is to design a brand equity management plan for a company. I like to stick with things I like so I chose Daniel Defense (in another class I designed an eMarketing campaign for Colt). Part of the project requires I get some feedback from consumers so I pose this to any and all who will take the time to answer. The more the better, and I appreciate anyone who responds. I'll try to keep it short. For the purpose of this, Daniel Defense refers to the "brand" and not Ambush Firearms or Daniel Companies or anything else of the sort.

1. Are you a DD customer? If so, are you a repeat customer?

2. What is your profession and history with firearms? (Classes, formal training, competition, hobbiest, etc...)(If you are a DD employee or retailer thats fine too)

3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions)

4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects?

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects?

6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense)

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands?

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you?

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you?

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be?

11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be?

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name.

Again I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer. You may certainly pm me if you wish.

Plato
12-06-12, 14:23
Yes and yes.

2. What is your profession and history with firearms? (Classes, formal training, competition, hobbiest, etc...)(If you are a DD employee or retailer thats fine too)
Banker. I've taken about 11 firearms classes half of those being carbine. I goto the range at least once a week.

3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions)
Yes.

Quality. Fit and finish.

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects?
Prices went up. They run pretty pricey now.

Their CHF barrels used to be special. They still are I just see more companies doing the same. I feel they are a step above colt now.

They make ARs.

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you?
I am aware. I think it's cool.

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you?
Yes. I think that's also cool. I respect Larry Vickers.

Jeep Rubicon. Everyone that wants a vehicle for that purpose knows that the Rubicon is awesome.

A liger (half lion half tiger).

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name.
I think of the DD logo. CHF barrels. Free beer at SHOT. M4v7. The color black.

Shiz
12-06-12, 15:14
Quality. Fit and finish.

what does that mean?

Freelance
12-06-12, 15:26
1. Are you a DD customer? Yes
If so, are you a repeat customer? Yes

IT Manager, 25+ years of shooting and firearms expereince. Monthly training for rifle and pistol.

3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions) Yes, use multiple products of theirs.

4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects? Reliability, quality of product produced, USA made and produced.

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects? Price, DD is expensive.

6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense) - Reliability, never had a DD product fail me in any way.

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands? Military contracts and experience.

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you? Yes, only because I receive additional experience and field usage examples of their products, and any problems that occurred under extreme battle scenario situations are usually experienced prior to me owning the product..

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you? Yes I am. Does not matter to me in the least.

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be? Jeep Cherokee, tough, dependable, reliable, works every time I turn the key.

11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be? Peregrine Falcon, slim, fast, quiet and deadly.

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name. SOCOM operators stacked at a door and ready to breach.

Again I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer. You may certainly pm me if you wish.

GL with your paper - Freelance (student and fellow cake eater.)

ASH556
12-06-12, 15:44
Gents,

I've been taking business classes as time allows and am currently in a class about brand equity and such. The project for the course is to design a brand equity management plan for a company. I like to stick with things I like so I chose Daniel Defense (in another class I designed an eMarketing campaign for Colt). Part of the project requires I get some feedback from consumers so I pose this to any and all who will take the time to answer. The more the better, and I appreciate anyone who responds. I'll try to keep it short. For the purpose of this, Daniel Defense refers to the "brand" and not Ambush Firearms or Daniel Companies or anything else of the sort.

Yes and yes

Hobbiest with formal training and some competition experience. Former employee of retailer, armorer.

Yes

Quality evidenced by military use. Local to my home state.

Higher price (justified, though).

Daniel Defense exhibits no qualms with passing military gear onto the consumer in its original state. No modifications to make it "civilian friendly."

A high-quality AR15 style rifle

Yes and yes

Yes and yes

(Bare with me here...)

F18 Fighter Jet

Tiger

FDE RIS II rail, AR15, Sopmod Block II, CQBR

Answers in red.

Plato
12-06-12, 15:57
what does that mean?

The fit between the lower and upper in super snug. The barrel anodizing is like pixie dust sparkley and the lower and upper black anodizing is a nice deep black. My LPK is also fit tight and the stock trigger is crisp.

That's fit and finish.

Guns-up.50
12-06-12, 16:06
here you go hope this helps

Gents,

1. Are you a DD customer? If so, are you a repeat customer?Yes and yes[/COLOR]

2. What is your profession and history with firearms? (Classes, formal training, competition, hobbiest, etc...)(If you are a DD employee or retailer thats fine too) Former infantry Marine/hobbiest with classes and hopeful future Police officer
[/COLOR]
3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions) Yes
[/COLOR]
4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects?Reliable durable [/COLOR]

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects? Costs, slow to order (because of the demand)
[/COLOR]
6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense)he up-grades the rifle comes stock with [/COLOR]

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands? They want to sell their product to everyone

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you?I know a little and it is important because if it is good enough for the military then its good enough for any civilian
[/COLOR]
9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you? I think Larry has demonstrated a wealth of knowledge and his opinion holds much weight to any shooter[/COLOR]

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be?Ford f150 raptor
[/COLOR]
11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be?Wolf
[/COLOR]
12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name. Troops ,police
[/COLOR]

AKDoug
12-06-12, 16:10
Gents,

Yes, Yes.

I own a retail hardware and building materials business. I'm a civilian interested in the proper use of firearms, mostly for self defense. I have attended three RedBack One classes and will be taking IG's armorers course and another RedBack One class this spring
Yes
4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects?One of the favorable things about the brand was that Mr. Daniel was a small businessman like myself that saw an opportunity and went after it. Not unlike Mr. Buffoni from BCM. Daniel Defense offered a product that fit my desired M4 best, so I went with them. It didn't hurt that my dealer is a DD dealer.

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects?I honestly can't say I have a negative.

6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense)Their inhouse production of superior quality hammer forged barrels is my number one like about DD.

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands?They produce a "milspec" carbine. Therefore there is a parts commonality with other makers of "milspec" carbines. Their quality and customer service is on par with the best in the business in regards to M4/AR15 products.

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you?I support the military and their missions. I support companies that produce products for the military because they must meet a standard of quality.

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you? I did support their association with LAV. Unfortunately that relationship seems to have ended. Larry is openly supporting BCM in his recent posts here on M4C (which is fine) and DD has decided to have Rob Pincus do their promoting now. I think that going with nobody as a spokesperson would have been better than choosing Pincus. I feel that the only negative of DD I have right now is their choice of spokesperson this time around.

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be?Chevy Silverado Duramax pickup with all the bells and whistles

11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be? Wolf

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name. It used to be LAV putting it through the torture test, now I can't shake the negative image of Pincus jumping over hay bales with it.

Mauser KAR98K
12-06-12, 18:20
I will definitely help a fellow student out.

Yes, and yes, but only in regards to parts kits and odds and ends. No real rifle components, or rail systems.

2. What is your profession and history with firearms? (Classes, formal training, competition, hobbiest, etc...)(If you are a DD employee or retailer thats fine too) I am a former Law Enforcement officer in my early twenties. I have been shooting since I was 7 years old with .22 LR pistols and rifles, gradually going to larger caliber pistols. I started doing actual rifle shooting with competition high-power matches when i was 17, and got heavily involved in my early and mid twenties. I then went to 3-gun shortly after and it has become my primary firearms sport/training. I have also attended one local carbine course, and two pistol courses. I still shot competition but not continuously.

3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions) Yes.

4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects? Innovation, quality, selling quality parts to create builds with their products, and the dedication in their products and the customers.

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects? There few options of calibers, platforms, and availability of parts (no thanks to the economy and the election, of course).

6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense) Daniel Defense, I find, is unique by their rail designs. They seem to be skinny, but taller than their competitors. I believe this helps in the lite-ness of their product, which is why , I believe, people gravitate towards DD for (the products are also quilting, as well). Another thing I see DD being unique is the way they stick to the M4 platform rather than making a "race" gun or a "custom tuned" weapon.

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands? Aside for the M4 platform, I closely find the quality on par with many of their competitors that I use as well (BCM, LMT, Noveske) I have kept DD's standard trigger in my main carbine I use for home-defense, hunting, and competition, because after a few thousand rounds, the trigger has not failed, and the feel of the trigger releasing has not changed over the few thousand rounds the parts kit has gone through.

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you? Yes, but only recently.

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you?Yes, and no.

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be? A Jeep wrangler, for it is rugged, yet the design hasn't changed in the basic platform.

11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be? Wolf: Fast, agile, and hunter, yet is still of the Canis family, like the domesticated dog, just built for nature's intended purpose.

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name. One of their RIS systems (their lite rail system) and their fixed iron sights.

jet66
12-06-12, 18:43
Yes. Yes.

Telecom company, hobbyist/enthusiast for 30-ish years.

Yes.

They offer a wide variety of items, for various applications. That makes them more than a one-trick-pony. (NOT a dig at Colt, I like their stuff too.)

I'd like to see some of their prices a little lower, like the RIS II gear. I suppose the negative aspect would be that it makes me consider other brands, but it's not a big negative.

Their 'dark earth brown' color is the first thing that pops in my head.

They make and sell parts and rifles.

I am, and yes they do. It lends credibility to their claims of quality when you can see their gear in hard professional use by mission-critical groups, and not in some secondary or tertiary training role, or vague claim to 'Pentagon contracts.'

I am, but it does not matter either way.

(Bare with me here...)

Something utilitarian and rugged, like a Bobcat or a small track hoe.

A venomous snake.

SOCOM/SEAL types in the field.

Good luck with the project!

GeorgiaBoy
12-06-12, 18:55
Gents,

Yes and yes.

Currently a student. I've had an interest in firearms from a very young age. Now I shoot mostly for personal enjoyment, recreation, competition, and training for home and self defense.

Yes.

It produces great products and holds quality high degree.

Can be overpriced at times.

They are one of the few companies in North America to have their own cold-hammer forging machine, setting them apart from practically every other firearm manufacturer.

They produce similar products.

Yes and yes.

Yes. It's great that LAV endorses DD, but its not something that makes me want to buy or not want to buy their products.

(Bare with me here...) It's hard to.

A BMW?

A lion?

Daniel Defense logo. Rails. Guns. The little community of Black Creek.

Good luck on your project!

rojocorsa
12-07-12, 03:23
No, but I strongly considered them and am a fan. (I ended up with a BCM because it cost less without sacrificing quality

Serious enthusiast, connoisseur, hobbyist

Yes. It was one of the first AR brands I learned about when looking into the black rifle.

Quality and attention to detail. IMO, ARs in of themselves are pretty similar, so what sets them apart are quality and attention to detail. I've handled their products in various gunstores many times.

Lack of flexibility in choices/configurations. Compare them to Bravo Co. for example, where you have many different choices in upper receiver/barrel/rail/FSB/muzzle device combinations. I ultimately purchased a Bravo upper because it was specifically what I was looking for (for a KISS rifle). I opted out of buying a CHF barrel, for example (because I don't shoot that much) and BCM gave me that option. Truth is that with DD, you don't really get a lot of options.

In addition, I think that some of those rifles could ship with nicer stocks given with what they cost and what the end-user pays. For example, I know that the M4V3 (rifle I strongly considered purchasing) comes with an MOE stock (which is the most basic Magpul stock). I just think something more substantial would have a better way to top off that package (eg, like a SOPMOD B5 or Magpul ACS/STR).

That I'm aware of, DD is also one of the only high-quality brands that markets to serious shooters/mil/LE that also sells a line of hunting oriented rifles/uppers.

Quality AR-15 manufacturer

Yes, I'm aware they sell some rails and stuff to DoD. It does not affect me negatively or positively

Yes. But it does not necessarily matter to me.

(Bare with me here...)

Not sure about #10 or #11, but for #12, one thing that always stands in my mind is their rail that goes around and in front of the FSB.

I don't own any of their products, but I did strongly consider them at one point (I explain why in my responses). I am still very much a fan. Hope this contribution helps.

J8127
12-08-12, 04:44
Thank you all who responded

narco23
12-08-12, 20:21
Yes. Not yet

2. What is your profession and history with firearms? (Classes, formal training, competition, hobbiest, etc...)(If you are a DD employee or retailer thats fine too)Law Enforcement. Just duty training for now

3. Have you ever heard of Daniel Defense prior to this? (If no, take 30 seconds to visit the website and answer based on your first impressions)yes

4. What is your favorite thing about the brand? What are it's positive aspects?reliability, quality

5. What is your least favorite thing about the brand? What are it's negative aspects?price

6. What do you find unique about Daniel Defense? (and ONLY Daniel Defense)i guess some of thier components equal or surpass most brands

7. What does Daniel Defense have in common with other brands?marketing strategy seems similar to me

8. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's contracts with the military and do they matter to you?some. nice to know that people will use the products when their life consistently depends on it

9. Are you aware of Daniel Defense's affiliations with Larry Vickers and does that matter to you?yes. is not an end all be all super important thing to me. Great that it existed but isn't the most important factor to me.

(Bare with me here...)

10. If Daniel Defense were a vehicle, what kind would it be?Camaro

11. If Daniel Defense were an animal, what kind would it be?Dog. Dependable. Reliable. Lethal

12. Please describe an image or two (or five) that come to mind when you hear or see the Daniel Defense name. I think of my rifle specifically. Their logo. Military/LE