PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned

jwperry
12-06-12, 14:12
I've only been a shooter now for about 7 years. I've focused mostly in pistol training, but have done some work with my carbine. Mostly range time, gaming and running drills that I've read on the interwebz.
Last year I attempted to try the concept of "AK-only"; mostly for cost of ammo and secondly to try something different. Of my main shooting holes, only 1 will allow steel in a projectile and with the cost of M67 now-a-days there wasn't really any cost advantage to running an AK.

The purpose of this carbine is to build on the lessons that I've learned and the things I've liked from my previous carbines(both AR and AK pattern) and to get into a proper/better training regime, try some 2gun/3gun and try to slay a hog or two with it.

Barrel - 16" Centurion LW Middy
I really wanted a 14.5" LW carbine length gas barrel. From what I could search and find, only BCM and DD made them of the quality that I'd want for this. Since I could never seem to catch one of these, with a pinned gas block, in stock when my budget allowed I expanded my desire.
I ended up with a 16" Centurion Arms LW middy. I've been reluctant to jump on the middy train as every non-carbine length gas gun I've put my hands on has had reliability issues when not using full powered 5.56 ammo. I invested in some PMC Bronze, so shooting some .223 is an absolute must. I'm hoping that a 16" middy, made by a premier company, will prove reliable, durable and accurate when paired with an M16 BCG and CAR buffer.

BCG - LMT M16 BCG.
Quality M16 BCG and important for what I was looking for, no billboard roll mark.

Upper Receiver - CMT with M4 Feedramps
Quality upper with M4 feed ramps and again, important to me, no billboard roll mark.

Charging Handle - VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter Mod 3
If I'm going to go with a latch, other than the standard, I'm going with the large latch. The large latch also enables me to 'slap' the charging handle to charge/clear the gun. Plus the large latch makes charging the gun with the scope attached very convienent.

Rail - KAC URX 3.1
I handled an SR15e3 Mod1 at the local gun store and was in love with the handguard. I can put rails where I want them, a VFG where I want it and cut a weight/balance out of the middle of the rail where I don't want/need it.

Vertical Foregrip - Tango Down MK46K Stubby
I don't need a full VFG and when I've used handstops they've always left me wanting a bit more purchase. This is perfect.

Irons - KAC Micro Front/200-600M Rear
I'm going to try to do a bit of 600 yard shooting at my local range, that's why I opted for these over the 300M version. I choose KAC because I very much like the fact they don't 'lock' when they are deployed. Having broken some other flip-up sights that 'lock' up I wanted to avoid that.

Optic - Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 (Green Triangle)
Having run Aimpoint Micros for the last 3 years, I really wanted something with both maginification and that wasn't an electronic dot. My astigmatism thanks me for switching although it is a little dim in low light.

Lower - Black Forge LLC
I always like to buy local(hence the large amounts of KAC I own) and these guys are literally out of the back door of my previous employer. My previous employer has also done some machine/welding work for them for free so I received these lowers at a great discount. The owner, Mike, is a decent guy to talk to and their specialty is more Vepr AK conversions over anything AR15 related. But the pins fit properly, so that's all I really ask in a stripped lower.

LPK - Colt
Things to note when buying a Colt LPK from Brownells; the front pivot pin is a silly screw on type and you'll have to buy an additional one if you want it done right(as well as the detent) and if you buy the complete Colt FCG from Brownells, note that the FCG is a .170 pin size NOT a standard .154 size. :rolleyes: My mistake for not knowing what I bought, but I know that I've bought what should be the best internal parts for this gun after a few mis-steps.

Trigger - KAC 2 Stage
I'm set to go shooting tomorrow morning, this was the only trigger I knew I could order and have delivered to my house in 2 days(when I realized that I had a large pin FCG) to accomodate that schedule. My plan was always to run a GI trigger on this gun, but since most of my AR shooting experience is from behind an SR15e3, I'm comfortable with the trigger and what it provides. My plan is to still put together a standard GI trigger gun, but it won't be this one now.

Receiver Extension/Stock - LMT RE and B5 SOPMOD
If you've ever run the combination of the LMT receiver extension and a SOPMOD stock, you'll understand how spoiled this can make you and how everything else pretty much falls short.

Pistol Grip - Tango Down BG16
Fits my hand perfect, puts my trigger finger inline with the trigger and covers the obnoxious gap that the trigger guard fits into.

Obligatory gun pic.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu18/jwperry/Viewable%20Photos/photo1.jpg

clmarshall21
12-06-12, 16:55
I would love to see a range report on that CA 16" barrel. It sounds like they do really well when fed quality loaded 69/77SMKs but there isn't a whole lot of guys that have actually reported on their grouping. If you feed it some good ammo, post some target pics if you can.
I just finished a rifle with the 14.5" CA barrel but I won't be running it with a good trigger or magnified optic to really see what it can do.

Good looking build and a good description of your build (one that actually follows the custom build forum rules).

Hope it shoots well for you.

johnson
12-06-12, 20:44
I had a 16" Centurion and currently have their 12.5" CHF and 16" RECON barrel. They all shoot really well especially with good ammo but even with PMC I was getting ~2" groups with a standard trigger and a 4 4 moa Aimpoint. My next build will be a general purpose/loaner gun and I plan on using the 16" CHF again unless the DD's or FN's are considerably cheaper.

Sticks
12-07-12, 04:35
My last run out with my Centurion 16LW middy (Vltor MUR & PSA Auto BCG, 6x42 POSP scope) got me a 1.4" MOA 10 round group, shooting my M193 reloads. Prone off the mag.

AA2230 23.6gr
CCI Primers
LC Brass
Hornady FMJBT 55gr w/canalure.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bBHV8IbM5zA/UES4jeO7DBI/AAAAAAAABfI/BeLd6pRh6c4/s576/10%2520rounds%25206x%2520001.jpg

If I could eliminate the shooter error in the L/R drift, I suspect it is a sub MOA rifle.

Centurion does make (or have made for them) accurate barrels.

Waiting for an opportunity to dial in my Mk262 reloads with my Centurion Mk12 mod1 barrel.

OP - nice build. Please do follow up with a range report - 10 shot groups please.

jwperry
12-07-12, 13:02
My plan is to do a quick sight in with some XM855, then zero with BH MK262 or maybe a mag of Hornady T2 that I plan on using for HD.
I will be sure to save a target or two.

jwperry
12-16-12, 23:00
Finally made it to the range today. I've learned that I can't shoot from a bench for shit and there is no prone/standing fire allowed at the range I went to. Best 10 shot group at 100 yards was right at 5". Rather embarrassing considering I can do that with an aimpoint and a CHF KAC SR15 upper.
I'm going to try to head back during the week so that I can shoot prone.

(I shoot at a private range that was really busy today but there is never anyone there during the week, when alone there won't be anyone to complain about me)

Sticks
12-17-12, 01:33
I have the same problem. Bench and early morning shooting suck.

I do much better in the afternoons.

dseduce
12-20-12, 02:20
...Curious about the accuracy capabilities of the centurion barrels...heard alot of good things about them. May need to be my barrel on my next build

jwperry
12-22-12, 00:44
Took my former Army Ranger cousin out today; I wish I had a way to post his target via my kindle. Most his holes are touching.
10 round group of MK262 MOD1 right at 1.75" Max spread.
Again mine were around 4". Per him I'm an "impatient shooter". Room for more training I suppose.

Sticks
12-22-12, 04:12
An Appleseed course will fix most of that, then there's practice.

jwperry
12-22-12, 10:40
An Appleseed course will fix most of that, then there's practice.

A friend of mine is an Appleseed instructor, I did do one a few years ago with a 22lr.
Doesn't help me not get board while sitting at a bench. :D