PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 or Glock 34

Rohardi
12-07-12, 08:44
So I am looking at picking up a GEN 4 Glock 17 or 34, but I'm not 100% sold on the benefit of the 34 over the 17. This will be a home defense/training/gun for classes. I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture. This will not be a competition gun. Thoughts and suggestions??? BTW I will also be buying a Glock 19 and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns

YVK
12-07-12, 09:28
BTW I will also be buying a Glock and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns

I am assuming you'll be buying 19 and 26? The number is missing.
Anyway, if you're getting a compact and subcompact for concealment purposes, I don't see why not to go big in a large frame. In my personal opinion, 34 shoots flatter than 17.
As far as speed, over 30% of shooters used 34 in recently held IDPA Nationals...

davidjinks
12-07-12, 09:48
Out of all the Glocks I've ever owned, the 34/35 have been my most favorite.

They're flat shooting, more accurate (At least in my hands) and conceal well. I've carried my 34 or 35 many times and have never had an issue with concealment. I'm not the quickest quick draw around but I've never suffered from the length of the pistol. Presentations are as fast with the 34 as they are with a 19.

I acquire the sights on my guns equally as fast across the board. Again, I'm not a pro, but I've never noticed a difference with sight acquisition from one length of slide to the next.

Personally I feel that the 34, while carrying, is more stable IWB due to its longer slide length.

I prefer fixed sights, standard slide release and standard trigger for my 34/35. If I wasn't so fixated on having a "collection" I'd be all in for nothing but the 34/35.

mkmckinley
12-07-12, 10:16
I have all the 9mm Glocks and here are my thoughts. If you're going to be carrying IWB just get a G19 and a good holster and belt. It will do everything you need in a package that you're most likely to actually carry. I'm sure there's someone out there who actually conceals a G34 and my hat goes off to them. However for most people, myself included, a G19 is a more realistic size.

The only time I would consider a G34 is if you're no shit going to have a weapon light (i.e. Surefire X300) attached all of the time. In that case the extra slide length of the G34 is essentially free, in terms of form factor, because of the length added by the flashlight. In that case you're also going to need a suitable holster which is basically going to be a kydex number molded you your setup. The whole package is going to be pretty big and awkward to carry day to day. If I was going to open carry or if I had a duty pistol this would be the setup I'd use.

A Glock 17 may be a good compromise if you're dead set against the G19. You could even have the grip cut down to a G19 size down the road.

Here's a picture I borrowed from someone else on the web:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Joshpictures/6-20008.jpg

Rohardi
12-07-12, 10:21
The 17 or 34 will have an X300 on it full time. This will NOT be a CCW gun. It will have a raven consealment pantom LC and a Safariland ALS. This will not be a carry gun. I will have a 19 and 26 for that.

ericl
12-07-12, 10:30
For the uses you stated for your pistol (classes, home defense, etc.), one would be served just fine with the 19 you stated you are going to purchase for carry. Since you are going to have a 19 and desire another Glock (one can never have too many), I would make the jump to the larger size (34) over the 17. The difference you would see between the 19 and 17 would probably be minimal. I shot a G35 in mulitple courses and never found an issue with drawing the pistol due to the longer slide/barrel. I did however notice a great difference in the felt recoil (resulting in faster splits) and overall accuracy of the 35 over the Glock 22. While this is a different cal., I imagine the results would be mirrored with the 9mm pistols. You won't be sorry with either, but I would go with a Glock 34.......then buy a 17 down the line to finish off the 9mm collection!

black22rifle
12-07-12, 10:54
if you think they are worth the extra cost over a 17 then enjoy.

GlockWRX
12-07-12, 12:44
The 17 or 34 will have an X300 on it full time. This will NOT be a CCW gun. It will have a raven consealment pantom LC and a Safariland ALS. This will not be a carry gun. I will have a 19 and 26 for that.

If this is the case, I would go 34. I have a 17 and a 34. I carry the 17, but the 34/X300 goes to rifle classes or sits by the bed.

The longer slide of the 34 means that there is no fouling on the lens of the X300, even after hundreds of rounds. Two mags on my 17 and the lens is fouled.

The other nice thing is that the holsters will work with the shorter guns, even if you have threaded barrels on them.

ST911
12-07-12, 14:07
I have 17s and 34s and like them both. The 34 has a balance and overall feel to it that is particularly agreeable. The added weight out front helps it settle back in a little quicker than the 17 (or 19), though I can't quantify it with a split for you. Added sight radius is a plus. The added length and balance of the 34 lends itself well to a mounted light.

The 17 isn't lacking anything, but the 34 has these attributes that make it worth a look.

If you shoot low end or lightly impulsed ammo, verify function. Some samples can be quirky. The slide is relieved to reduce mass to near G17 levels, but it's still a different upper and behavior.

One of mine, which eats whatever I feed it and is far more inherently accurate than I...

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/MISC/IMG_4331.jpg

R0CKETMAN
12-07-12, 15:53
The 34 will compliment the 19 and 26 better than the 17. It doesn't shoot any better for me.

I'd look at a gen4 21 based on your criteria.

Rohardi
12-07-12, 15:58
I'd look at a gen4 21 based on your criteria.

I'm selling my HK45 and switching to Glock and 9mm. 9mm much more cost effective to shoot...

sjc3081
12-07-12, 18:00
My experience is that the G17 is the best pistol Glock makes. All others are modifications of the original design. The Glock 19 is a great gun but it is not as trouble free as the G17.
Another sleeper is the G20 as it also is the original design same as the G 17.

Evil Colt 6920
12-07-12, 18:18
Get the 34 for sure. Especially if you already have compact/sub compact models. It's my favorite of all glock models, very accurate. I carried mine for several years but recently picked up a 26 which is much more comfy for concealment. The 34 is my "go to" HD/nightstand pistol. Add a light and some tritium sights and call it a day.
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/shotgunspree/P1090094a.jpg

nc_556
12-07-12, 18:33
I think my perspective is going to be a little different from most. Get the G17. Why? Because it's closer to the G19 than the 34 is. If this is going to be your regular training and range gun then you will be able to equalize the proficiency you gain in all of your shooting to your CCW G19 easily. I was almost going to suggest just getting another G19 for this reason. Some may feel this isn't big deal. I feel those gains could save your life or prevent unintended consequences if you ever have to use your CCW.

If it were going to be a serious competition or match gun then I'd have said go with the 34. But I'm more pragmatic and prefer proficiency across fewer platforms, especially when it comes to CCW or self defense.

That's just my humble opinion. I offer it knowing that there are many on this board with a lot more experience than I have.

Rohardi
12-07-12, 18:38
I think my perspective is going to be a little different from most. Get the G17. Why? Because it's closer to the G19 than the 34 is. If this is going to be your regular training and range gun then you will be able to equalize the proficiency you gain in all of your shooting to your CCW G19 easily. I was almost going to suggest just getting another G19 for this reason. Some may feel this isn't big deal. I feel those gains could save your life or prevent unintended consequences if you ever have to use your CCW.

If it were going to be a serious competition or match gun then I'd have said go with the 34. But I'm more pragmatic and prefer proficiency across fewer platforms, especially when it comes to CCW or self defense.

That's just my humble opinion. I offer it knowing that there are many on this board with a lot more experience than I have.

you bring up some very good points

G_M
12-07-12, 18:38
So I am looking at picking up a GEN 4 Glock 17 or 34, but I'm not 100% sold on the benefit of the 34 over the 17. This will be a home defense/training/gun for classes. I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture. This will not be a competition gun. Thoughts and suggestions??? BTW I will also be buying a Glock 19 and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns

If it isn't a competition gun go get the G17. My two cents with ported pistols is they are not the best thing to take to a training class if part of it is contact shooting. You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.

Rohardi
12-07-12, 18:40
If it isn't a competition gun go get the G17. My two cents with ported pistols is they are not the best thing to take to a training class if part of it is contact shooting. You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.

34 isn't ported. It has the cut out in the slide to reduce weight, but the barrel is not ported.

ST911
12-07-12, 18:58
You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.

Have you experienced this with the Glocks?

Rohardi
12-07-12, 19:00
Have you experienced this with the Glocks?

I think G_M is under the impression that the 34 has a ported barrel and would make a mess

ARonBoard
12-07-12, 20:29
Definitely a 34 if you will have at least a 19. I have a 19 and 17 and the difference isnt huge.

G_M
12-07-12, 21:08
Sorry maybe ported is the wrong word, but not sure what to call that opening on the top of the slide.

When I took a SouthNarc ECQC class I was thinking maybe I would have an issue with stuff coming up my nose with my G34 for certain shooting positions, I know someone else posted that in a SouthNarc course that they used a G19C and ended up with their nose and mouth bleeding..

-edit-
Here is the link to the post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1415364&postcount=1).

Anyway something to think about, although the 19C does have a ported barrel and the 34 doesn't so could be nothing to worry about.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb4po4yh_6DtHFMSGUVOX3zQGoOosyWzBWOo4om74_xRaHyFby
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/3347033925_dafb3d2b00.jpg

LightningFast
12-07-12, 21:18
Sorry maybe ported is the wrong word, but not sure what to call that opening on the top of the slide.

When I took a SouthNarc ECQC class I was thinking maybe I would have an issue with stuff coming up my nose with my G34 for certain shooting positions, I know someone else posted that in a SouthNarc course that they used a G19C and ended up with their nose and mouth bleeding..

-edit-
Here is the link to the post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1415364&postcount=1).

Anyway something to think about, although the 19C does have a ported barrel and the 34 doesn't so could be nothing to worry about.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb4po4yh_6DtHFMSGUVOX3zQGoOosyWzBWOo4om74_xRaHyFby[/ig]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/3347033925_dafb3d2b00.jpg

There's no porting on the 34 barrel. There is a hole cut in the slide of the 34 to reduce weight so it functions similarly to a 17.

JSGlock34
12-07-12, 21:18
The G34 has a cut out in the slide, but the barrel is not ported, so it is no different from a G17 or G19 or Beretta 92 for that matter when used in contact drills. I've done it myself at numerous courses.

If you already have a G19 and G26, I'd add the G34. Personally it is my favorite pistol due to the long sight radius and flat recoil. I suspect it is the most used pistol in IDPA for a reason and any speed tradeoff on the draw is minimal. Doesn't seem to slow down Vogel or Sevigny...

http://www.idpa.com/blog/image.axd?picture=2012%2f10%2fInfographic-IDPA-Nationals-Guns.png

All that said, the differences between the G17 and G34 are really minimal at the end of the day. Either will serve well.

whick1
12-07-12, 21:34
Our dept issued the G35 same as the 34 except in 40SW. It was a PITA to carry every day. Every officer i worked with complained about it until the dept finally allowed us to pack a G22 or 23 as long as it was personally owned and we passed qualifying. Most officers,including myself, switched to the 22. It does not seem like that much of a difference but packing day in and day out their is a noticeable difference. The only advantage for the 34/35 series IMO is competition.

ST911
12-07-12, 22:02
Our dept issued the G35 same as the 34 except in 40SW. It was a PITA to carry every day. Every officer i worked with complained about it until the dept finally allowed us to pack a G22 or 23 as long as it was personally owned and we passed qualifying. Most officers,including myself, switched to the 22. It does not seem like that much of a difference but packing day in and day out their is a noticeable difference. The only advantage for the 34/35 series IMO is competition.

What was a PITA about it, specifically?

Evil Colt 6920
12-07-12, 22:20
What was a PITA about it, specifically?

Yeah, this. I concealed a 34 for years on my small frame, 160lb body and you are complaining about holster carry?:confused:

Rohardi
12-08-12, 09:14
So I have made up my mind. I will be picking up a 34.

Surf
12-08-12, 12:08
If you can handle them a bit that is the best option. I personally own all the various sizes from the 26/27 to the 34/35. Concealed I prefer the 19/23 and for general shooting I am a bit opposite in that I prefer the 17/22, even over the 34/35. But I am no Sevigny or Vogel either. :)

MP9
12-08-12, 14:58
1- if you aren't competing with the gun.. then the 19/17 is a good idea.

2-if you are going to have a 19 and get another gun as well,I will jump to the 34.(see point 1)..

so in that case it would be better the 17.. and if sometimes you wanna compete , the 17 is good enough for games..

I have the 19 and 34 for uspsa/idpa...

there is not a big difference with the 34 unless you are shooting lower reloads, and the sight radius helps at 25+ yards shots..

GJM
12-09-12, 08:31
In terms of pure shootability, as measured on times and accuracy on known drills, my Gen 4, Glock 34 is the single most shootable pistol I own. Interestingly, in terms of practical accuracy, I notice no difference between it and my P30/HK45 pistols, which speaks to the accuracy of the Gen 4 34.

Fireman1291
12-09-12, 08:37
I've owned both and kept the G34. Ill never sell it. Nuff said.

abad40
12-09-12, 09:13
I Perfer the 34 to 17 but there's not much difference to either when it comes down to it. Just get both :)

Corse
12-09-12, 17:13
In terms of pure shootability, as measured on times and accuracy on known drills, my Gen 4, Glock 34 is the single most shootable pistol I own. Interestingly, in terms of practical accuracy, I notice no difference between it and my P30/HK45 pistols, which speaks to the accuracy of the Gen 4 34.

So the 34 is as accurate as the p30? Any issues with the gen 4.

GJM
12-09-12, 17:24
I am up to between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds, with just two stoppages -- both from Aguila 124 ball, which while accurate is light on the power side, and causes intermittent problems with my P30 and other Glock pistols.

By chance, to test POI shift between different loads, I quickly shot 20 rounds total thru my G34 today, sitting in the snow, 11 degrees F, with light snow falling, testing five rounds each of 147 AE ball, Aguila 124 ball, HST 124+P and HST 147. The aiming point is 3x5, and this is all 20 shots, with the one in the upper left of the photo, the one flyer:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/94.jpg

Corse
12-09-12, 17:55
I was unimpressed with a 17 I owned (gen3). Besides malfunctions, it was not nearly as accurate as my p30l. That looks pretty good for 20rds of assorted ammo. Maybe there is hope with a g34.

GJM
12-09-12, 18:10
I also shot a G4 17/RMR today, and was getting 2.5 inch 25 yards 10 shot groups with Aguila 124 ball and Fed AE 147 ball.

Devildawg2531
12-11-12, 07:47
I looked closely at the G17 and G34 and read a ton in various reviews, G34 is more accurate at longer ranges (15+ yards) but overall very close. I'm buying mine as a dedicated competition gun so I decided on the G34.

Anyone know of a great price on a new G34 Gen 3? I've found it for $545 plus shipping new - thanks.

jamaicanj
12-12-12, 14:08
I'd get the 34

okie john
12-12-12, 19:08
Shoot them all before you decide. The differences between them on paper don't show up the way you'd expect in the real world. For example, lots of folks shoot a G26 as well as a G17, but find that a G19 conceals about as well as a G26. Lots of shades of gray...

Okie John

samuse
12-13-12, 14:00
I like the 17 better than 34 but I honestly can't tell you why. I think it's because the hole in the slide looks ugly to me.

I've shot both in competition and I really don't notice a difference on typical IDPA/USPSA type shots. All of my dropped points are my fault.

I also shoot a 19 in competition occasionally and it holds it's own too. If I'm having a good day, it translates to good shooting no matter the gun.

Get whichever one you like best for whatever reason.

darr3239
12-13-12, 14:33
Our dept issued the G35 same as the 34 except in 40SW. It was a PITA to carry every day. Every officer i worked with complained about it...

The last two years of my career I carried a Glock 35 in a duty rig. The only time I noticed anything different from the Glock 21 I carried for years was sitting in the newer cars. Many of them have seats that angle up on the sides and the bottom of the holster hit that. I'm 5'9" and it didn't move my belt up hardly at all, especially to the point of being uncomfortable.

With the 35 I did expect a difference in how long it took me to draw it. Experimentation showed it didn't slow me down at all, once I became accustomed to the gun.

I repeat, except for sitting in a car, which wasn't uncomfortable, I noticed no difference what so ever. The issue gun was our choice of a Glock 22 or 23.

One thing about cops worldwide. They, as a group, are a bunch of whiners. :p

wl518
12-29-12, 17:37
Having experience with both in my opinion I don't think the G34 is that much greater than the 17 especially if you don't plan on competing with it. First off, the extended mag release on the 34 is too long (gonna have to sand the edges a bit). The trigger pull at 4.5 lbs is nice compared to 5.5 on a 17, but not that much of an improvement especially in the hands of an experienced shooter. As far as recoil management, lets be honest, we're shooting 9mm here. Keep in mind that with the exception of the extended/cut slide, you can have almost all the same features on a 17 if you like with OEM parts.

10-76
12-29-12, 20:35
Go with a 24 or a 35, and get the 9mm conversion barrel from Storm Lake. Have a .40 and a 9. My 24c is crazy fun shooting 9.

Rohardi
12-29-12, 21:14
I ended up going with the 34. I'll be shooting it this weekend. Here it is with some KAC goodness.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0424.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0430.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0435.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0434.jpg

CCM
12-29-12, 21:36
Gotta ask, what sights are you going to replace the plastic with?

Nice choice, I carry a 17 for duty, but have been shooting a buddies 34, the extended radius does improve my accuracy at distance (my just be mental, who knows?).

theblackknight
12-29-12, 21:39
Sweet

Rohardi
12-29-12, 21:39
Gotta ask, what sights are you going to replace the plastic with?

Nice choice, I carry a 17 for duty, but have been shooting a buddies 34, the extended radius does improve my accuracy at distance (my just be mental, who knows?).

I'm going to go with the OEM glock night sights. I'm waiting on my blue lable glock 19 to come in and it will have the glock OEM night sights. I like having matching sights on my pistols.

CCM
12-29-12, 23:00
I'm going to go with the OEM glock night sights. I'm waiting on my blue lable glock 19 to come in and it will have the glock OEM night sights. I like having matching sights on my pistols.

10-4, makes sense. I've standardized to 10-8 Sights with Tritium Front on all my pistols (Glock and 1911).

By the way nice KAC, are you carrying it on duty?

Rohardi
12-29-12, 23:06
By the way nice KAC, are you carrying it on duty?

Sadly, no :-(

xjustintimex
12-29-12, 23:25
I really like my glock 19s, but my glock 34 is my best shooting pistol. My confidence is much much higher using my g34. My 17 does not feel much different than my 19s. Infact my 17 is my least used glock

Showgun
01-31-13, 20:28
I am purchasing a G34. I have tens of thousands of rounds through a 19 so I am convinced Glock fan.

What are the recommended modifications other than trigger and sights to add to the 34? How common is the 34 shot in competitions just as a stock variant?

Thanks

Littlelebowski
01-31-13, 20:36
It is a Glock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ftbear
01-31-13, 23:01
I have been shooting for only 1 year and have a 17,19 and 34. Points that I have found.

1. While doing the 10 10 10 drill, with a 17 and 19, I have to aim an inch or so above the center of the target. With the 34 I aim dead center.

2. At 25 yards, I have been aiming an inch or so low with my 17 and dead center with the 34.

3. At 50 yards, I will have to run a few hundred more rounds in both to give you a better idea.

4. During a course, Grant (C4IGrant : Nice guy and great shot by the way) told me about a case about a 34 or 35 found on a dead undercover officer in, I believe, Ohio. It seems he did not get a shot off and a coin was stuck in the opening in the top of the pistol. Grant promptly placed a dime in the front end opening of my 34 and I could not rack my pistol. Because of this, my carry gun/bag gun/ is the 17 or 19. My pistol at home with the X300 by the night stand is my 34.

5. The 34's magazine release was long enough to piss my left thumb muscles off after firing a few hundred rounds. LAV's release is now in it's place.

Hope this helps

YVK
01-31-13, 23:33
Terrible occurrence. Just so I am clear, stuck coin had nothing to do with agent not being able to get his shot off?

JHC
02-01-13, 07:36
Terrible occurrence. Just so I am clear, stuck coin had nothing to do with agent not being able to get his shot off?

Ken Hackathorn related a story so near to this I have to believe it was the same. But as I recall it in his rendition the UC was not killed and did get the first shot off and the dime wedged in the slot prevented the gun from cycling. Ken also said the UC had this G35 stuck in a pocket of some sort. Big guy, bug coat, big pockets I guess. If he hadn't had change in that pocket, he wouldn't have had this problem. The same admonition folks have made about pocket carry of a snubbie for decades.

I am pretty suprised just how much my new Gen 4 G34 tightened my 25 and 50 shooting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/8435599018/in/photostream (Gen 4 G34 really improved my hits at 25 yds on this drill. This included single rounds from concealed draw in 2.0-3.0 seconds, plus 5 SHO and 5 WHO then the 5 freestyle to the head. Substantially tighter than I've been doing in those time frames with the 19/17. )

Serlo II
02-01-13, 07:46
For duty use I don’t like any opening on the slide. Dirt, sand and junk can get in.
A lot of top IDPA shooters use the G34.
I’ve had both and my preference is the G17/G22. I just like the size and balance better.
They are both excellent so I think it may just be a matter of handling and maybe shooting both and picking your preference.

JHC
02-01-13, 08:06
My pistol at home with the X300 by the night stand is my 34.

That's how Ken H closed the story too. That's all he said he uses his 34 for.

YVK
02-01-13, 11:37
double post, see below.

YVK
02-01-13, 11:40
Ken Hackathorn related a story so near to this I have to believe it was the same. But as I recall it in his rendition the UC was not killed and did get the first shot off and the dime wedged in the slot prevented the gun from cycling. Ken also said the UC had this G35 stuck in a pocket of some sort. Big guy, bug coat, big pockets I guess. If he hadn't had change in that pocket, he wouldn't have had this problem. The same admonition folks have made about pocket carry of a snubbie for decades.

Given that Grant gets a bit of his gun info from Ken, I'd say your guess about story being the same is right.
A long-time G35 user checked his with a dime and said that the dime wouldn't make it inside the slide due to larger OD of 0.40SW barrel. It would be interesting to see if others can confirm that.
I'll keep my opinion about carrying a full sized gun in a pocket to myself, other than noting that one needs a freaking big pocket to carry G34/G35.
As far as dedicating G34/G35 to a nightstand use, I have a different take. A quick look on my nightstand reveals a lot of crap, including coins, paper, pens and their plastic covers etc, in a relatively close proximity to where my gun goes. On the other hand, a trip down memory lane fails to recall any instances of me finding anything that didn't belong there inside my holsters.
Of course, YNMV, as in your nightstand may vary.

Guns-up.50
02-01-13, 12:43
I'm not a fan of the giant sand trap on the roof, so its the 17 form me, 34 is a fine choice still just not mine.

CarlosDJackal
02-01-13, 14:02
... I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture...

If I can easily carry my Glock 35 I would. But as it is I used this model as my duty gun for years and I have never felt that it slowed down my presentations. For training I used my Glock 34 because of the less expensive ammo (prior to all this craziness, anyway).

For home defense my nightstand gun is my Glock 35 with TLR-1 light attached. If you are not planning on carrying this gun for concealment at all, I'd personally go with the Glock 34 over the Glock 17 (which I also own). But that's JM2CW.

The bottom line is you need to choose which one feels best in YOUR hands. This includes the ability to acquire and line up your sights. Good luck!!

el_chingoton13
02-01-13, 16:08
Sorry if this is a stupid question; would it be a bad idea to cover the opening on a Glock 34 with duct take or something similar?

KCBRUIN
02-01-13, 17:21
Sorry if this is a stupid question; would it be a bad idea to cover the opening on a Glock 34 with duct take or something similar?

If the duct tape came loose it could block your front sight. It could also block your field of view not letting you see the target. It could prevent reholstering if it gets bunched up.

Glock 34 for competition and playing on the range.
Glock 17 for duty/go to war.

ST911
02-01-13, 17:29
The opening in the slide is a non-issue.

samuse
02-01-13, 20:46

I see 34s and 35s shoot every week. Lots of times idiots are shooting 'em. I've NEVER seen the hole cause a problem.

It doesn't bother anything on the Beretta either...

el_chingoton13
02-01-13, 21:01
Thanks for the replies.

FAB45
02-01-13, 21:13
If your not competing with it I would go with the 17 as it will be a little easier to draw.

Alaskapopo
02-01-13, 21:26
The opening in the slide is a non-issue.

I know it is in 99% of situations but I do have a concern if I was fghting for my gun and it got dropped in the slow if it would fire with snow and or mud crammed in the hole. Another reason I like the 17 over the 34 is when a weapon light mount is attached its a perfect stand off device so in a tight situation I can just push the gun into the attacker and pull the trigger without having to worry about pushing the gun out of battery. On the 34 the slide is longer and this does not work.
Just my opinion.
Pat

jonconsiglio
02-01-13, 23:42
I know it is in 99% of situations but I do have a concern if I was fghting for my gun and it got dropped in the slow if it would fire with snow and or mud crammed in the hole. Another reason I like the 17 over the 34 is when a weapon light mount is attached its a perfect stand off device so in a tight situation I can just push the gun into the attacker and pull the trigger without having to worry about pushing the gun out of battery. On the 34 the slide is longer and this does not work.
Just my opinion.
Pat

My concern as well about the stand off. I had a situation where only one round was fired due to contact on the handgun.

JHC
02-02-13, 08:31
Given that Grant gets a bit of his gun info from Ken, I'd say your guess about story being the same is right.
A long-time G35 user checked his with a dime and said that the dime wouldn't make it inside the slide due to larger OD of 0.40SW barrel. It would be interesting to see if others can confirm that.
I'll keep my opinion about carrying a full sized gun in a pocket to myself, other than noting that one needs a freaking big pocket to carry G34/G35.
As far as dedicating G34/G35 to a nightstand use, I have a different take. A quick look on my nightstand reveals a lot of crap, including coins, paper, pens and their plastic covers etc, in a relatively close proximity to where my gun goes. On the other hand, a trip down memory lane fails to recall any instances of me finding anything that didn't belong there inside my holsters.
Of course, YNMV, as in your nightstand may vary.

I have used different Glocks with X300 for that role but I keep them in a kydex holster for that purpose.

YVK
02-02-13, 09:42
I have used different Glocks with X300 for that role but I keep them in a kydex holster for that purpose.

I get to be awaken up at night more often than I care for, due to work. When I open my eyes, one thing orients me immediately to the spatial arrangements in a pitch black, and that thing is a glow from the tritium vials. I can go for my gun instantly, without any need for a light source, or I can go for my cellphone or pager and be sure I am not going to grab the gun or knock it down. I find keeping a nightstand gun upholstered very important.

JHC
02-02-13, 11:14
Dig it. That is a welcome sight in the dark. Condition 1 or 3? When I've done condition 3 it's been unholstered. But knowing with total certainty that my spouse would not gum up chambering from Condition 3 leans me to condition 1 so then it stays in kydex. But her primary available is a wheelgun so I'm sort of over thinking it but it is what it is.

xjustintimex
02-02-13, 12:41
Just my opinion.
Pat

why not try to simulate that and see? I don't have any snow or I would. I worry about the hole as well in the same situation. But I have not had any problems with dirty and debris carrying it around in deep south Texas sand. perhaps there's more concern in that scenario with the muzzle getting packed with snow? I shoot the 34 much better than my 17 so It is still my go to gun.

jonconsiglio
02-02-13, 12:53
why not try to simulate that and see? I don't have any snow or I would. I worry about the hole as well in the same situation. But I have not had any problems with dirty and debris carrying it around in deep south Texas sand. perhaps there's more concern in that scenario with the muzzle getting packed with snow? I shoot the 34 much better than my 17 so It is still my go to gun.

I don't think it's very likely to cause a problem, but the slight chance is there. I also know that Magpul folding AR sights will likely be sufficient as back ups, but that doesn't stop me from having an irrational fear that they'd melt right off MY gun, so I have to run KAC's.

Being confident mentally is a lot different than seeing a concern not develop, as I'm sure you are well aware. So, even testing it and finding snow is not a problem likely won't change one's mind once it's been made up.

Please know I'm not arguing with you here. Just kind of thinking out loud, for lack of a better term, that even if he tests it, his mind is already made up that it could cause an issue at the worst possible time.

For those that shoot the 34 better, like you xjustintimex, would you shoot a 17 with an extended/threaded barrel just as well or is it the sight radius since the slide is lightened on the 34 to be the same weight as the 17? Or does it have more to do with the sights?

Jon

xjustintimex
02-02-13, 13:11
Im not honestly sure why I shoot the 34 better than my other glocks. The 34 seems flatter and more accurate. I have no problem hitting things at 100 yards with the 34 where the 17 takes a lot of effort. Could even just be mental, yet it is what it is :D

Beat Trash
02-02-13, 14:13
I had a 17 and a 34. I ended up selling the 34. Nothing wrong with it, but I found I preferred the balance of the 17 just a bit more. I shot guns about the same.

I originally thought the 34 was too big to carry concealled. Them one day I held up the Glock 34 next to a 5" 1911. About the same size, except for width. I carried a 1911 concealled for a few years during the late 1980's - 1990's.

I really feel it's personal preference between the two.

Magsz
02-02-13, 14:43
I had a 17 and a 34. I ended up selling the 34. Nothing wrong with it, but I found I preferred the balance of the 17 just a bit more. I shot guns about the same.

I originally thought the 34 was too big to carry concealled. Them one day I held up the Glock 34 next to a 5" 1911. About the same size, except for width. I carried a 1911 concealled for a few years during the late 1980's - 1990's.

I really feel it's personal preference between the two.

I agree. To ME there is something odd about the way the 34 points whereas the 17 to me, feels just right.

I dont know if it is the distribution of weight, ie the 34 feels muzzle heavy or what butthe odd center of gravity throws me off.

It does have less muzzle climb and recoil than my 17 but i still prefer the 17 over those improved characteristics since there is no demonstrable difference in my split times or scores between the two handguns.

YVK
02-02-13, 19:28
Dig it. That is a welcome sight in the dark. Condition 1 or 3? When I've done condition 3 it's been unholstered. But knowing with total certainty that my spouse would not gum up chambering from Condition 3 leans me to condition 1 so then it stays in kydex. But her primary available is a wheelgun so I'm sort of over thinking it but it is what it is.

Condition 1. I still haven't quite figured out what I should be grabbing first - my gun or my glasses or my handheld light, so I want a minimal amount of tasks I need to do.

blueorison
02-12-13, 18:34

Don't listen to people, get what with which you feel most comfortable.

The G17 and 34 shoots just as fast and accurately. There is no real difference except velocity.

Read my sig; just because a lot of people use it doesn't mean it is the best. Correlation=/=Causation. Plurality doesn't equate to truth.

Take a timer and get quantitative results.

Time your accurately, aimed, shots using a 17 and a 34 with stock parts (same firing mechanism parts). They will both be the same.

I've shot 17's and 34's at 100 yds in competition under a timer. They were the same. Go do your own testing. :)

Showgun
02-12-13, 18:38
Don't listen to people, get what with which you feel most comfortable.

The G17 and 34 shoots just as fast and accurately. There is no real difference except velocity.

Read my sig; just because a lot of people use it doesn't mean it is the best. Correlation=/=Causation. Plurality doesn't equate to truth.

Take a timer and get quantitative results.

Time your accurately, aimed, shots using a 17 and a 34 with stock parts (same firing mechanism parts). They will both be the same.

I've shot 17's and 34's at 100 yds in competition under a timer. They were the same. Go do your own testing. :)

Do you notice the ports muzzle flash on the 34 at all? and if you do, has it distracted you?

Rohardi
02-12-13, 18:40
Do you notice the ports muzzle flash on the 34 at all? and if you do, has it distracted you?

The 34 does not have a ported or compensated barrel. It only has a portion of the top of the slide cut out for weight reduction.

Showgun
02-12-13, 18:47
The 34 does not have a ported or compensated barrel. It only has a portion of the top of the slide cut out for weight reduction.

Thanks for the clarification. I am curious if flash is noticeable, or if there is any flash from the cut portion of the slide. Anyone care to give their opinion, or experience in comparison to non slide cut Glocks?

JHC
02-12-13, 18:49
Thanks for the clarification. I am curious if flash is noticeable, or if there is any flash from the cut portion of the slide. Anyone care to give their opinion, or experience in comparison to non slide cut Glocks?

None in a non ported pistol. The slide cuts are irrelevent to that. No worries there.

Rohardi
02-12-13, 18:50

There wouldn't be any additional flash due to the cut out on the slide. Any muzzle flash would come out of the front of the barrel. At that point the slide would be back, so the cut out on the slide would be irrelevant to the amount of muzzle flash.

JSGlock34
02-12-13, 18:54

The G34 isn't ported - the purpose of the cutout is to reduce the weight of the G34 slide to mirror the weight of the G17 to ensure reliability. The G34 doesn't have any more muzzle flash than the G17.

Blayglock
02-12-13, 18:59
I vote G34 for your stated purpose.

Rohardi
02-12-13, 19:01
I vote G34 for your stated purpose.

I went 34

I ended up going with the 34. I'll be shooting it this weekend. Here it is with some KAC goodness.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0424.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0430.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0435.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/rohardi/DSC_0434.jpg

blueorison
02-12-13, 19:05
Happy for you, that you've found what works for you (hopefully?)

Good info on the dime/slot. Thanks for that, guys. Hopefully none will carry loose G34/35's in a pocket and not in a holster. That's a lot of weight moving around in your pocket, and keeping change in there isn't wise with a loaded pistol.

Nightstalker865
02-13-13, 22:49
For classes and home defense I would go with the G17. Great balance and very accurate.

Obiwan
02-14-13, 07:58
After having owned all the 9mm glocks except the 17L and 18

I like the 17 and the 26 the best

They are the two that I shoot the best