PDA

View Full Version : New noveske recce. Best long distance iron sights?

Aljd
12-07-12, 11:24
Hello,
I just purchased a new to me noveske recce!! Very excited to get out with it. It currently as troy battle irons on it. I want to start shooting with irons and to long distance up to 500yds before I put optics on it. I read an article recently in tactical Life:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/noveske-n4-light-556mm/

about a guy who was shooting long distance and the Troy didn't seem best? He got to use the knight armament 200-600m sight that usmc use and seemed better. I was thinking of buying a set of these kac sights and selling the troys? Can I have your opinions on shooting long with irons and is one much better or any thoughts you have. Thanks jeff

The_Hammer_Man
12-07-12, 14:46
For me...

Shooting long range with irons has always been about the standard front sight post being too damned fat.

I purchased, and installed, the thinnest front sight available from KNS and I was back in the game.

The KAC sights definitely rockulate.. but, they're kinda pricey.

KNS front sight is $12.00 or less depending on where you buy and will fit into your Troy front sight.

7 RING
12-07-12, 15:10
I read the article. That was some impressive iron sight shooting at 500 yards with a 16" carbine.

GUNSLINGER733
12-07-12, 16:35
For long range you would want a thinner front post if you bought Troy irons.

VIP3R 237
12-07-12, 17:04
KAC IMO has the best long distance irons on the market. The small front post coupled with the awesome 600m rear is tough to beat.

Aljd
12-07-12, 20:10
Thanks guys!! I was thinking that the 200-600m were the best by kac out there, please any personal experiences people would like to share? Thanks Jeff

seb5
12-07-12, 21:00
I agree the KAC,s are the best BUIS but it using them as primary you would be better off with fixed sights, not flip ups. They cannot be as consistent. At 500 yards it could be a big deal.

theblackknight
12-07-12, 21:28
at 500, your putting the target in the center of the front site, so center of smaller or bigger blade is personal pref, but I like seeing more of the target area too.

sinister
12-07-12, 21:38
It may seem counter-intuitive but the fatter A2 front sight for many shooters is actually better for long-range target engagements. Against black bullseye targets and military E-type silhouettes you can actually "Lose" the top of the front sight in the target, giving vertical stringing.

A fatter front sight gives you the advantage of seeing how high up into the target you are holding, plus you can use it for shades and favors into the wind.

trinydex
12-08-12, 00:26
It may seem counter-intuitive but the fatter A2 front sight for many shooters is actually better for long-range target engagements. Against black bullseye targets and military E-type silhouettes you can actually "Lose" the top of the front sight in the target, giving vertical stringing.

A fatter front sight gives you the advantage of seeing how high up into the target you are holding, plus you can use it for shades and favors into the wind.
could you describe or explain "lose?"

M4Fundi
12-08-12, 00:57
(I believe) He is saying the top of the front sight is narrower than the black target and it blends in with the target and you cannot tell where the top of the post is which will result in vertical strings. If the post is wider than the target you can tell where the top of the post is relative to the target and use the post width on either side of the target to hold off for wind or differing lighting situations.

trinydex
12-08-12, 01:36
is the same phenomenon an advantage in non black non paper targets?

Iraqgunz
12-08-12, 02:07
I agree. I read some of that article and also found some of it to be less than accurate. (IMO)

The_Hammer_Man
12-08-12, 05:30
If you have issues with "losing" your front sight post in your black targets,,,, and yes for some it IS an issue...

a bit of white high reflect paint or just plain old white-out will fix that.

white-out isn't just white anymore.. you can get it in a ton of colors.

"The easy fix is usually the best one."

lethal dose
12-08-12, 05:34
The KAC kit has its place but I feel a2 sights are hard to beat for the reasons listed above.

Magic_Salad0892
12-08-12, 05:49
KAC sights, LMT Fixed sights, or A2 sights.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-08-12, 05:57

As I was reading down through this thread I had the same idea come to mind, but not in the context of iron sights. I was thinking of when I do a load work up with a new bullets, powder etc. Sometimes I back the scope power off a bit so I don't see all the little movements. It works every time.

If I was running strait irons it would be H&K,centurion,brownells doppler sights. Fast and rugged, If I had a weapon with a FSB installed then DD fixed rear, If running an aimpoint on that set up DD fixed rear, If running an acog or some variable then KAC folding rear. It really comes down to money wasted and preference after the money is spent. Running Irons takes more practice but good dam there fast.

Aljd
12-08-12, 08:06
I was wondering about the adjustable front sight if you needed it also, or can you just use a troy or any sight? In the article I posted it looks like he just borrowed the rear from the Sargent? I wonder if they work better together both being adjustable? Does anybody know?

Aljd
12-09-12, 08:33
I am going to call KAC tomorrow and find out, I will let you guys know if nobody on here does?

lethal dose
12-09-12, 08:43
The KAC front is not required.

7 RING
12-09-12, 08:53

I have to agree, especially as your eyes age. I ran a narrow front sight on my match rifles when my eyes were sharp. It gave me a very slight advantage under perfect light conditions, but I would have to install a wider front sight to shoot a match on hazy days. Now that my eyes are way beyond 50 years old, a narrow sight is a disadvantage. I can shoot much better groups at distance with wider front sights on my match rifles and work carbines.

Another advantage to a wider front sight is that it is easier to pick up in low light and smoky conditions.