PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in New York?

rocsteady
12-07-12, 11:50
I am new to hunting and living in Staten Island, have to travel a ways to even get to a decent rifle range.

A friend offered a place in the Catskills (NY) whenever I want to get away. Wondering if anyone does any coyote or deer hunting in the area (or New York in general) or has any suggestions or experiences here.

Would really like to do some coyote hunting after the holidays.

Thanks

Matt C.
12-09-12, 13:13
The Catskills offer excellent deer hunting opportunities.

Have hunted there in the past (Sullivan County) and hope to again in the future.

Boker55
12-13-12, 20:11
If you don't mind a drive Fort Drum has 80,000 acres that the general public can use for hunting. You just have to get a recreational access pass and register your firearm with the MPs. I was in and out of the MP station in about 5 minutes when I registered my rifle this past season. You can get a rec. access pass here: http://fortdrum.isportsman.net/

Hope that helps.

Boker55
12-13-12, 20:16
Oh and I forgot to mention, that area is covered up with coyote!

rocsteady
12-23-12, 15:35
That does help. Thank you very much.

sjc3081
12-23-12, 20:34
New York has millions of acres of public land for hunting. Pm me and I'll give you some quality info on open land in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties.

francis
12-23-12, 20:53
I also want to add that as a former NYC resident God Bless you for being a firearms owner in that city. Not a fun thing these days.