PDA

View Full Version : I hope I made the right AR choice

jdm
12-07-12, 15:01
I am new to AR's and I wanted to buy a good quality gun. So I bought a DD M4V1 LW which is what the dealer recommended. I know it is a little late but I was wondering if you guys think that I made a good choice and what would be some good accessories to put on it. Thanks for any information.

RearwardAssist
12-07-12, 15:02
I think you did good but hear is some very good reading to look at.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

hec912
12-07-12, 15:03
DD is good to go

nc_556
12-07-12, 15:10
You're good. At least you have a dealer that is apparently honest and knowledgeable. A lot of others aren't so lucky.

In this day and age of easy access to information I'm amazed at how many people do their research AFTER their purchasing.

jdm
12-07-12, 15:23
Thanks again guys for your opinions I appreciate it. Yes I agree that I should have done a better job of researching something before buying it but I was at the gun shop and I took the dealers word on what to get.

AKDoug
12-07-12, 15:30
Assuming that carbine came with a DD fixed rear, the only thing you need to get going is a good sling, 5 mags, and some ammo. Sign up for a carbine class and go from there. You will very likely end up with a red dot sight and a weapon light after that.

yossarian42
12-07-12, 15:30
That's the first time I've ever heard of a gun store recommending a good rifle. Usually they'll tell you they're all the same and sell you whatever they have the biggest mark up on. Usually rock river.

RMiller
12-07-12, 15:35
Good job sir!!

Like recommended above, buy plenty of ammo, and a few more mags. Shoot it. A carbine class wouldn't hurt.

MistWolf
12-07-12, 15:40
Congrats on the new rifle. Shoot before accessorizing. It will save you a ton of cash

Blak1508
12-07-12, 19:55
Nice pick-up! The V1 was my first as well, and good for the dealer pointing you in the right direction. You will love that rifle, I sure as hell do.

warner41
12-07-12, 19:58
DD is quality stuff. You did well. Now go put some lead down range. Good luck.

jet66
12-07-12, 20:21
That's the first time I've ever heard of a gun store recommending a good rifle.

Despite having tons of BM and DPMS on the wall, the place where I got my LE6920 recommended it above the others. The sales guy told me about them, but not as wholehearted as he did the Colt. (I had done my research first, though, so i was already sold.) The only other rifle he sort of pushed was a SCAR-16, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. The LGS I frequent lately is big on DD products, so they are out there.

CHX77
12-07-12, 20:26
So I bought a DD M4V1 LW which is what the dealer recommended.
Good choice, and good to hear of the dealer recommendation.

That's the first time I've ever heard of a gun store recommending a good rifle

I'll add another one then. This past summer I wanted to get my first AR style firearm. While I had not done extensive research, I had a feeling that Bushmaster, and similar brands, must be low end stuff because they appeared in every weekly sale flyer from the chain sporting goods stores and were prevalent in big box stores. I went to a store where I had purchased other firearms and started looking at the selection. One of the salesmen recognized me and came over to assist. Most of the ARs on the floor display were Bushmasters and a couple S&Ws that gave me sticker shock. We talked a little and I think he sensed that I wanted quality, but wasn't ready to spend $2k. There were more ARs on display behind the counter, from which he picked out my Daniel Defense DDXV. I recognized the brand and the price was right so I took it home. I think it had been there a while because it's a discontinued basic model and it had a bit of dust on it. Then I found this forum and became even more pleased with my purchase. I've thanked that salesman with a couple more purchases since then.

Aaron_B
12-07-12, 21:05
Excellent choice and kudos to the gun shop for recommending it.

RogerinTPA
12-07-12, 21:57
Great choice, and I own one. It's a great selection. Sleep well.

jdm
12-07-12, 22:05
Thanks again everyone for all the input. I am very happy to know I have a quality rifle that I can count on.

TriviaMonster
12-07-12, 23:55
In the interest of fairness, you bought one and then asked if its okay? Kinda backwards.

That's the flack people normally get when they buy a RRA or BM or Oly and then come here and ask. Thought I would even things out ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AFshirt
12-08-12, 05:47
...but if you believe the tongue lashing I got recently on AR15forum a DPMS is just fine and to suggest that their is something wrong with their quality is severe "internet ninja garbage" because real companies do not test every single bolt regardless of what they may advertise.

eperk
12-08-12, 08:00
That's the first time I've ever heard of a gun store recommending a good rifle. Usually they'll tell you they're all the same and sell you whatever they have the biggest mark up on. Usually rock river.

You are correct sir.

samnev
12-12-12, 11:39
You made a solid choice. DD is one of the premier AR 15 makers.:D

7 RING
12-12-12, 12:08
As long as you like the carbine and it fits your needs, clean it, lube it, shoot it and don't worry about it.

Seagunner
12-12-12, 12:18
Your going to need a couple QD sling swivels.

The Virus
12-12-12, 12:40
Prepare for the cash sucking vortex to begin.

Harve10
12-12-12, 20:18
Prepare for the cash sucking vortex to begin.

So true...DD is good to go, I love mine. Hope it works out well for you. My one but of advice (take it for what it is worth), try to get your hands on as many optics/red dots as you can before jumping in. Enjoy!!!!!

originaldubu
12-13-12, 14:41
Prepare for the cash sucking vortex to begin.Vortex, better yet black hole!

fdxpilot
12-13-12, 16:49
There were more ARs on display behind the counter, from which he picked out my Daniel Defense DDXV. I recognized the brand and the price was right so I took it home. I think it had been there a while because it's a discontinued basic model and it had a bit of dust on it. Then I found this forum and became even more pleased with my purchase. I've thanked that salesman with a couple more purchases since then.

Man, I wished DD still made that or another basic AR. That rifle was one of the best deals around, and was usually my recommendation for a first AR before the prices dropped so much on Colt 6920s and 6720s.

Dravur
12-13-12, 17:38
You did good. Although, I have never owned one, I have heard nothing but good about them.