PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gurus: WTF is this?

Doc Safari
12-07-12, 15:26
I've noticed this on multiple machines now.

Understand that my comprehension of computers is barely above stone knives and bear skins, so bear with me here.

At some point, I'll be on the internet, usually with multiple browser windows open, and everything will just slow waaaaaaaaaaay down.

I've learned to use the Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open the Task Manager. When I do that I'll see multiple iexplorer tasks open and running, with one accelerating faster than the national debt.

If I highlight that one, and click "End Process", then usually it forces the browser windows to refresh, and everything is back to normal for a while until I have to do it again.

Is there a way to bypass this makeshift fix? Are the Facebook and Twitter cookies just running up the odometer and I need to disable them somehow?

Do I need to do something to how much virtual memory is used?

WTF, Over?

I run Ccleaner upon startup every time, so I don't think it's a problem with too many files in the browser history.

It sure is annoying.

The fact that I've done this on multiple computers now makes me think it's not just a virus on my living room computer.

What say you, Numbah One Computah Zapstas?

Grizzly16
12-07-12, 15:39
Stay away from internet explorer like it was a $2 hipoint pistol on the corner. It is a memory hog and often doesn't release memory from ads, videos etc. Plus it is a joke when it comes to security.

Get chrome or firefox + adblock plus and enjoy the internet again.

Doc Safari
12-07-12, 15:46
Stay away from internet explorer like it was a $2 hipoint pistol on the corner. It is a memory hog and often doesn't release memory from ads, videos etc. Plus it is a joke when it comes to security.

Interesting. I've known a couple of people who've had compatibility (?) issues with Google Chrome, like it not wanting to display a web page for security concerns or something.

What are some of the pitfalls of downloading a new explorer?

Honestly, my "best" computer is an old e-machines box type with not much RAM. (To give you an example, it won't download Windows Service Pack 3 because it's too small). Yes, I know I need a couple of new computers, but I need ammo worse than that.

What's the smallest hard drive Firefox and Google Chrome will run on?

Belmont31R
12-07-12, 15:51
I use Chrome with Ad Block Plus and Ghostery.

Don't use IE. It sucks.

Also what type of computer are you using? My laptop came with 8GB of RAM but I upgraded it to 16GB, and I generally average about 10-11GB in use. If your PC is lower spec or aging you'll run into more performance issues as it tries to constantly allocate the resources around to what you're doing. RAM is short-term memory to run open programs, and if you don't have enough you're basically always maxing out your computer. A lot of programs these days are a lot more taxing on a system than they used to be as more features are added or they increase the speed of how things operate. These days 8GB is the minimum I'd say a system needs but 16GB should run most programs and you won't run into any lag having multiple windows open and multiple programs.

You can check what OS you and the amount of RAM you have by (if on Windows) and hitting the start button>control panel>system

Doc Safari
12-07-12, 15:55
I'll have to dig into this more. One is an el cheapo e-machines computer from about 2004, and the other is a "home brewed" computer put together by one of those chop shops that custom-builds computers.

Denali
12-07-12, 16:07

Stupid question, how do I dump IE and replace it?

Doc Safari
12-07-12, 16:16
Ran across this by accident.

I think I'm fooked:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-some-versions-windows-xp

Belmont31R
12-07-12, 16:20
Stupid question, how do I dump IE and replace it?

The only thing I use ie for is to type in google chrome download...

I used to use FireFox but found it became a bloated slow POS. I had a thread on it a couple years ago. Chrome has been very fast for me, and with the add on's mentioned gets rid of ads and such really well. I don't get any ads watching youtube videos and I don't even see the ads the top of the page on this site.

If you download Chrome and want those ad ons (extensions)...once in Chrome hit the 3 little bars in the top right, go to settings, on the left hit extensions, and click get extensions (or get more extensions). In the search bar just type in ad block plus, and then ghostery.

SteyrAUG
12-07-12, 16:21
Ran across this by accident.

I think I'm fooked:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-no-longer-works-some-versions-windows-xp

I'm running XP and the latest version of Firefox on an old machine.

You can try it for free and if it doesn't work just keep using IE. But with most browsers, the longer you leave them open the more memory they tend to hog.

I have to close and reopen my browser every other day or so.

Also learn to work with tabs. It seems to use less memory than multiple windows open.

Belmont31R
12-07-12, 16:22
I'll have to dig into this more. One is an el cheapo e-machines computer from about 2004, and the other is a "home brewed" computer put together by one of those chop shops that custom-builds computers.

Yeah dude. Time to buy a new computer. A 2004, even top of the specs at that time, is not going to run smoothly with todays browsers and programs. That thing is about 8-9 years old. You probably have something like 2GB of ram.

Doc Safari
12-07-12, 16:26
Yeah dude. Time to buy a new computer. A 2004, even top of the specs at that time, is not going to run smoothly with todays browsers and programs. That thing is about 8-9 years old. You probably have something like 2GB of ram.

That sounds about right.

Dude, I don't WANT to buy a new computer right now. LOL.

I had to buy a TV the day after Thanksgiving. I still had one of the old "picture tube" types (really!) that lasted me over 12 years. You can tell I don't toss shit in the dumpster easily!

Belmont31R
12-07-12, 16:48
Yeah I hear ya. When you do get one it's worth it to get a little better than the low end stuff to 'future proof' yourself and extend the amount of time you can actually use it. Like I said as time goes on things like browsers and other programs become more resource intensive so 16GB today probably won't be all that good 8-9 years from now but in 8-9 years from now these programs will do a lot more.

Even on my laptop, which came with 8GB of RAM, was having to shuffle around system resources so the bump I did to 16GB allows the computer to never have to do that to keep running the open programs and browsers I have. Usually keep 6 or more browsers open and 1-2 programs and I still have about 6-7GB of ram left over. At the age of your computer, and the likely low RAM it has you're doing too much for what today's browsers and programs need. When I upgraded my RAM I gave my buddy the RAM I took out, and got his from 4GB to 8GB and he said it made a huge difference. You're likely running on less than 4GB his laptop started out with.

You don't have to spend a lot on a laptop these days. The minimum I'd say to go with, part of the 'future proofing', is an Intel Core i5 processor (CPU) and 8GB of ram. When I upgraded my RAM it was only $90. All it took was taking the bottom panel off (about 9 screws), unclipping the RAM modules, seating the new ones and getting them clipped back in...then install the bottom panel back. Takes like 5 minutes and less difficult than swapping an AR trigger.

If you are looking for a laptop look into 'ultrabooks'. Ultrabook is a standard set by intel, and comes with certain mandatory features like theft lockout and the ability to restart from sleep mode in a matter of seconds. These are generally designed to be very slim, lightweight, good battery performance, and the features already mentioned like rapidly starting and waking.

Grizzly16
12-07-12, 17:00
Chrome is one of if not the fastest browser around. Adding ghostery or do not track me + adblock will be nice and fast. Fewer ads, much less to zero third party tracking and not full of security holes.

The only sites I've found that chrome don't work with are very old poorly created sites. The sites I wouldn't want to give my information to anyways. Or they are internal work sites that need lots of security permissions and ie is the only browser screwed up enough to give it to them easily.

I'm serious using IE for your browser is about as wise as carrying a 32 acp pistol to save your life. It might very well work but there are soooo many better options.

AKDoug
12-07-12, 17:14
I agree. I've switched all my computers to Chrome and haven't looked back.

SteyrAUG
12-07-12, 17:57
That sounds about right.

I had to buy a TV the day after Thanksgiving. I still had one of the old "picture tube" types (really!) that lasted me over 12 years. You can tell I don't toss shit in the dumpster easily!

+1

I don't view computers as disposable. For example I'm currently running 1.5 Gigs of RAM. But I'm also not playing the latest online games, running a network of 6 machines or inventing the next space vehicle.

I surf the net, send email and save pictures of hot chicks. About the most complex thing I do is place orders online with my supplier. And I can do all that with a old machine and 1.5 Gigs of RAM.

Might mean I have to close my browser every other day and restart it, but I'd rather do that then fall victim to the notion that I need a new computer every 2-3 years.

I have better things to buy.

Besides, the longer I can hold out, the better the replacement system will be.

feedramp
12-07-12, 21:48
That sounds about right.

You should start a kickstarter called "Buy Doc Glockster a new PC" :D
I would contribute toward that. Seriously, an 8-9 year old e-machine is a crime anymore.

Anyone who still runs a machine like that could probably get away with a brand new $250 netbook or tablet and still be way better off performance-wise.

Also, Firefox for the win.

SteyrAUG
12-07-12, 23:06
You should start a kickstarter called "Buy Doc Glockster a new PC" :D
I would contribute toward that. Seriously, an 8-9 year old e-machine is a crime anymore.

Anyone who still runs a machine like that could probably get away with a brand new $250 netbook or tablet and still be way better off performance-wise.

Also, Firefox for the win.

I got my eye on this system. Dual floppies, system saver, dot matrix printer...the works.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003710.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003711.jpg

Processor: 6502
Processor Speed: 1 MHz
PMMU: none
FPU: none
Bus Speed: 1 MHz
Data Path: 8-bit
ROM Size: 16K
Level 1 Cache: none
Level 2 Cache: none
Battery: none
Expansion Slots: 8 Apple II Proprietary Slots

SMETNA
12-07-12, 23:27
There's nothing wrong with Apple's "Safari" browser for Windows. Just sayin.

SeriousStudent
12-07-12, 23:41
I got my eye on this system. Dual floppies, system saver, dot matrix printer...the works.

Ah - you may laugh, but I still have the assembly language programming manual from Motorola for that machine. My first paying computer gig - writing a mailing label program for an Apple II.

In assembly language. :D

chadbag
12-07-12, 23:42

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003710.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003711.jpg

My dad still has a working Atari 800. Same 6502 cpu but running around 1.7mhz. 48K RAM. We play some old games on it still that I had when I was in HS and it is fun for the grand kids. We still have the original one from when I was in HS back in the early 80s but he also bought 3 or 4 extra at like $2 a piece some 10 years ago at a "Goodwill Industries" type store as backup...

An Apple IIplus like you show is where I first learned to program (kind of, I did a little rote programming on my dad's work PDP11 when I was younger but it was mostly just copying stuff from magazines, line by line, and not knowing what I was typing in). Then I "graduated" to the Atari 800 as well as a PDT11/150 machine by DEC my dad was able to purchase from DEC (he worked there) and bring home.

---

polymorpheous
12-08-12, 00:10
Dump Windows and run Linux.
Ubuntu runs great and makes an old machine like new again.

Belmont31R
12-08-12, 00:20
There's nothing wrong with Apple's "Safari" browser for Windows. Just sayin.

lol

Safari for windows sucks. So slow...

SteyrAUG
12-08-12, 01:26
An Apple IIplus like you show is where I first learned to program (kind of, I did a little rote programming on my dad's work PDP11 when I was younger but it was mostly just copying stuff from magazines, line by line, and not knowing what I was typing in). Then I "graduated" to the Atari 800 as well as a PDT11/150 machine by DEC my dad was able to purchase from DEC (he worked there) and bring home.

---

Yep, that is actually my first computer from 1981. I kept it this long because my Dad paid something like $1400 for the entire setup (about $3500 adjusted for inflation) and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it even though I managed to use it up until about 1994 when I got my first PC.

The ironic thing is I've had several PCs go tits up on me since then and that damn Apple II+ will still boot and run.

And yeah I remember buying computer magazines and typing in 400+ line programs letter for letter.

ryanm
12-08-12, 04:22
Not that easy to dump IE and not have any issues. While I agree IE is not the best or most secure choice, the alternatives do not always display content correctly--and that includes Firefox 17 as well as Safari.

Microsoft has become much more attuned to releasing patches for vulnerabilities; at this point IE is not the sinking battleship it once was.

Check your add-ons and be sure you are actually using what it lists there. Anything you are not using--delete. (Tools, Manage add-ons)

Also, check under your advanced settings (Tools, Internet Options, Advanced) --Automatically Recover from page layout layers using compatibility view. This setting can either be helpful or harmful. If you are having trouble; toggle it and see if that helps. There are too many different explanations to list here for why you would or would not use this setting--it is a quick COA to try.

feedramp
12-08-12, 09:09
Truthfully, for the longest time it was IE that did not display webpages correctly and required special exceptions and workarounds in website code to get it to display pages according to the established W3 standards. And most web developers built for the standards and only grudgingly had to create the workarounds for IE to display the pages properly because so many people didn't know enough to get a better browser. The latest IE (10 or whatever), actually does a decent job. But it sure took them long enough.

At any point in the past decade of using Firefox and its predecessors, it has been extremely rare to have to fire up IE in order to use a site. And that is actually a sign of a site that isn't built to the established standard but instead uses IE as a "standard" which is silly.

To put it in AR quality terms, sites that are milspec or better, render properly in FireFox and other standards-compliant browsers. Sites that required IE in order to function are your sub-par makes.

tb-av
12-08-12, 10:31
http://www.palemoon.org/

Works.

ryanm
12-09-12, 00:18
--jay35

If you are using/supporting SharePoint, FireFox and Safari become a serious issue for interoperability. Also, many enterprise monitoring apps do not render the maps properly in other than IE browsers. (solarwinds is a recent exception). I have not tested HPOV with Firefox recently but I gave up solving the problems the last time I messed with this combination (java issues).

Chase.com was another example that did not display properly unless you were using IE up until last year.

The issue here is supportability at the Enterprise level--who do you call for help from FireFox if your having problems specific to their browser? The answer is essentially crowd sourcing and forums (get community support), but that doesn't help when your dealing with management/leadership and you say "I posted a thread with this question".