PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Cleaning - Simplified

Badger89
12-07-12, 17:39
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and looking for some more practical advice on the right and wrong/best and worst ways to clean a rifle. I've searched this site and others, as well as reading a few online articles and countless "manufacturer recommended cleaning procedures." I'm still not satisfied and looking for a more "simplified" procedure when it comes to cleaning. A rifle is a mechanical machine, so I don't understand how there can be so much debate over cleaning the darn thing. But then again I'm not a metallurgist or gunsmith which is why I'm asking.

I've heard everything from "use only the top name brands" to "just buy (insert generic brand here), it's the same thing and cheaper" to "hot water is the best way to clean, don't waste your money." I'm looking for someone to provide some evidence to back up their preferred cleaning procedure. Personally, I have been using a cheap bore cleaner, followed by RemOil, but I'm not satisfied. The bore cleaner takes FOREVER to clean even mild carbon build up and the RemOil seems to evaporate very quickly and does not prevent corrosion well if the gun isn't re-oiled frequently.

Here's the idea I've been toying with:
Step 1: Soak the bolt carrier group (disassembled) in mineral spirits. I've read you should not use ammonia based cleaners on the bolt... haven't read an explanation why though, so if someone could shed some light on that I'd appreciate it. I have heard of multiple people soaking their BCGs in a mineral spirits/CLP solution, I would just prefer to skip the CLP.
Step 2: Clean the bore & chamber with an ammonia based glass cleaner. Most copper cleaners contain ammonia, which I believe is the active ingredient to loosen and remove copper build up right? Glass cleaner has ammonia in it as well, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.
Step 3: Remove the BCG from the mineral spirits and thoroughly rinse with hot water. Also rinse the bore, chamber, charging handle, gas tube, and exterior surfaces. (Not sure if I should rinse the fire control group or not?) Dab/wipe off excess water with a cotton cloth and run dry patches or a bore mop down the bore to dry. This should keep the metal warm from the hot water, as opposed to letting it cool as it air dries. I've read that warm metal is good, because it warms the oil and allows it to more completely coat surfaces and tight spaces.
Step 4: Oil. I tend to be generous on the BCG, except for the firing pin and bolt face, where I lightly oil. I also lightly oil the bore, chamber, inside of the upper receiver where the BCG rides, fire control group and take down pins. As I said I have been using RemOil but I'm not satisfied. I'm thinking about trying Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil... An engine takes much more abuse internally than a rifle between cleanings so I don't see why it wouldn't be more than adequate. It's also a lot cheaper. My only question is would I want a lighter oil such as 0w20 or a heavier oil like 20w50? I'm leaning toward lighter...

So there you have it. My "How to clean a rifle without solvents, bore cleaners, or gun oil." Tell me your thoughts. Genius? Idiotic? Will cleaning this way harm my rifle or shorten its life? Or is this just as good as spending a ton on all the top name brand cleaners/solvents/oils?

Iraqgunz
12-07-12, 17:48
You can start by reading this-- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

and the the other stickies in that area. It's been discussed numerous times and people way overthink it.