PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense LW vs. S2W

Rockhopper
12-07-12, 21:11
I have been searching here for a couple weeks. Read through some things in the semi auto precision forum, and frankly, I am just not having any luck. I am interested in one of these two barrels. But cannot find much info outside of a lightweight barrel is obiously lighter, heats up quick, but cools down quick. And I cannot find hardly any info on the S2W. Very limited if that.

I am interested in a 16" mid length with a pinned low pro gas block. My thought process is that it seems you can still have a very nice accurate CHF barrel and not have to stress the longevity issues of stainless. I like the idea of the lighter weight barrel so my wife and son will have no problems handling the weapon. BUT the minimal info I have found on the S2W tells me it may be a touch more accurate and heat is not really an issue as the additional mass is in the correct area (around the chamber). Also that there is the possibility of the S2W being a bit more accurate as it is stiffer? I would like it to be precise as possible (would like to be able to kill prarie dogs @ 300 yards), but also practical. This is going to be on my main go to gun. I dont exect to be putting tons of ammo through this thing, but dont want to have to worry about heat issues or blowing the barrel out either.

I guess the real question is are there enough benefits to choosing the S2W over the LW barrel? Or am I just adding unnecessary weight?

Or am I better off with something else all together?

Rockhopper
12-07-12, 21:20
and I apologize if there is already an existing thread. If there is can you point me in the right direction?

Treiz
12-07-12, 21:56
Based on the research I have been doing I'd concluded that they both are probably more accurate than you or I. I ultimately went with the BCM light weight, but I have no reason to think that the DD is not just as good. You can always buy the other option later if you really want to.

jet66
12-07-12, 22:20
My wife's carbine has the 16" CHF LW DD bbl w/pinned lo-pro GB and FF Evo rail. I've only shot mil-spec ammo through it, @ 200 yds max, so I don't have any super tight groups to show, but it shoots well within the expectations for M855 and M193 at that range. (Compared to my other rifles, all with gov't profile 1:7 bbls., 14.5", 16", and 20".) Due to just that experience, my opinion is still only speculation/educated guess in the end, but I think that the bbl is capable of the shots you want to make with match ammo/handloads.