PDA

View Full Version : FSB cutout rail help

sva01
12-08-12, 07:58
Hi all,
I've been kicking through a bunch of different threads over the last few weeks and am hoping you guys can help me out. I'm still shopping for my first AR and was pretty well settled on going with a Colt 6920 SOCOM. After more thought and holding a few different guns, I'm starting to lean more towards getting a standard 6920, taking a class, shooting a bunch of ammo, and then doing any mods later. Part of the reason for that, is that I'm starting to think that I'd like a longer handguard. The KAC rail of the 6920 SOCOM feels somewhat short to me. I also have thought about a light mount and the longer FSB cutout rails would give me the ability to mount a light in front of the FSB without an additional mount like the Mossie.
This is where I need help. Can you recommend some different manufacturers that make rails that would give me the setup I'm looking for? Typically, how long are those FSB cutout rails?
I'm trying to be patient and do this right the first time so I appreciate any help you can give.

SteveL
12-08-12, 08:55
Check out rails from Centruion, Daniel Defense and Troy. They all make rails with cutouts for the FSB.

jet66
12-08-12, 09:08
You'll definitely want to shoot it a lot, first. I ended up with keeping a Centurion C4 carbine length rail on mine instead of going with the FSB cut-out. (I only bought the carbine length rail because of a killer Black Friday sale last year.) After shooting it for quite a while, I feel the most comfortable holding the mag well or a VFG closer to the mag well, so I decided that there was no need for the longer rail, for me. I'll be adding a light, it will just be mounted to the FSB. I probably could have just stayed with the OEM or an MOE set of handguards to be honest, but I like the FF for bracing/resting the rifle against things when shooting for a little more precision.

By way of comparison, I have a 14.5" BCM mutt build with an RIS II M4A1 rifle length rail, and I don't put my hand out that far, ever. Fortunately I bought the upper used at a great price, so I didn't 'waste' any money.

If you do decide that a longer rail is for you, I'm very happy with the quality of both Centurion and Daniel Defense.

The FSB cut-out rails are usually 'rifle length,' I believe, in the 12" neighborhood.

Deputy Dan
12-08-12, 09:20
Colt also produces a 6920 SOCOM with the Daniel Defense RIS II rail with FSB.

RMiller
12-08-12, 10:17
I would honestly look at the colt MOE model. Comes with pmags and most of the standard moe furniture. That way you could start out with a comfortable base rifle and not throw the extra $400 on a rail you might not use. Then if later you decide you have to have the etended rail, it can be added. Not to mention the moe le9620 is within $50 of the regular le6920.

IMO, the moe handguards are hard to beat and I much prefer them over a standard m4 style hanguard.

Kissel
12-08-12, 10:39
FWIW, I have the Centurion FSP rail on a Colt carbine and I love it. It is light weight, easy to install & remove, high quality and gets my support hand out past the FSP. Plus, it gives you a perfect spot to mount a X300 light. It is +/- 12 inches long. Very nice.

sva01
12-08-12, 12:25
Colt also produces a 6920 SOCOM with the Daniel Defense RIS II rail with FSB.

Hi Dan,
Do you have a link that you could share? It's not in the Colt catalog that I'm aware of...

Deputy Dan
12-08-12, 13:36
They are available on Gunbroker, it is usually listed as the SOCOM II and they sell for the same price that the SOCOM with KAC rail.

It is not a catalog item... Is is a limited run of about 1500 rifles.