View Full Version : AR style stock on AK or 100 series folder?

w3453l
12-08-12, 11:07
Assuming price is not an issue, what would you say is a better folding stock an AK? I see a lot of AR style stocks being used on AK's now, but are they better than the 100 series side folders?

Thanks

eodinert
12-08-12, 14:10
I like AKs for what they are; A relic of the post WWII soviet era, and an icon of the cold war.

Having said that, I generally prefer to keep my AKs original. No matter how much you 'upgrade' an AK, it will always be bouncing off of the limitations inherent in the design; things that you cannot change without swapping platforms.

In that light, the 100 series side folders are among my favorite, on a 100 series rifle. Underfolders blow, except for the fact that they are correct for the rifle, and therefore, awesome and cool. The wire side folders generally suck, triangle side folders are better, and polish beryl side folders better still... and back to the 100 series plastic side folders, which I think are the 'best'.

Buy what you want, and configure it how you'd like, but at the end of the day you'll still be limited by the fact that it's an AK. Rather than try to fix any shortcomings, embrace it's AKness... and leave the AR stocks on the ARs.

So says me.

Moose-Knuckle
12-08-12, 16:29
Assuming price is not an issue, what would you say is a better folding stock an AK? I see a lot of AR style stocks being used on AK's now, but are they better than the 100 series side folders?

Thanks

Depends on what you want the stock to do. If you need an adjustable LOP the AR stocks are the king of the hill and will allow the end user to get a more custom stock length when shooting the rifle in conjunction with PC, LBE, ruck, etc.

The folder is going to offer a smaller envelope and conceal better when the stock is folded. The AKS-74 triangle folders and the AK-100 series folders are virtually solid butt stocks when locked into position. They will be better suited for butt stroking, door busting, etc. and take more abuse than an AR's telescoping stock..

Then of course there are the various stock adaptors that allow you to affix an AR stock onto a folding mechanism so you can have the best of both worlds. I've always been skeptical of how solid these are however. If your going to go with an AR stock on a Kalashnikov then the only adaptor I would go with is the Vltor Stock Adapter and Extension.

warpigM-4
12-08-12, 16:31
I like the 100 series I can not stand the AR stocks on the AK ,as stated above I like the AK for the AK Soviet Style .But you can change you LOP with the AR style if needed

96 SS
12-08-12, 17:34
100 series folder is bar-none the best stock for the AK.

I like AKs for what they are; A relic of the post WWII soviet era, and an icon of the cold war.

Having said that, I generally prefer to keep my AKs original. No matter how much you 'upgrade' an AK, it will always be bouncing off of the limitations inherent in the design; things that you cannot change without swapping platforms.

In that light, the 100 series side folders are among my favorite, on a 100 series rifle. Underfolders blow, except for the fact that they are correct for the rifle, and therefore, awesome and cool. The wire side folders generally suck, triangle side folders are better, and polish beryl side folders better still... and back to the 100 series plastic side folders, which I think are the 'best'.

Buy what you want, and configure it how you'd like, but at the end of the day you'll still be limited by the fact that it's an AK. Rather than try to fix any shortcomings, embrace it's AKness... and leave the AR stocks on the ARs.

So says me.

I can't really think of any other shortcomings the AK has except maybe easy barrel swaps.

maddawg5777
12-08-12, 17:58
I really like the 100 series folder. Although wire and under folders don't bother me much. I just learn how to use em. My only experience shooting an ak with an m4 stock was my friends Romania wasr. To me it didn't feel right and just looks goofy. I'm also a fan of keeping an ak as original as possible. I think the only reason to use an m4 type stock is if you need to adjust the lop.

w3453l
12-08-12, 21:22
Thanks everyone. I am more for function over form, so keeping the ak looking original is not that important to me. The reason I ask is because I'm about to buy a couple rifles and I have the option of buying them with triangle folders installed (which I can swap out for the 100 series stocks easily from what I have researched), or waiting for some more fixed stock variants which I would install http://bonesteelarms.com/AK-Saiga-folding-stock-hinge-with-threaded-AR-15-stock-interface-akfsar.htm onto. I really wanted to install an RS regulate mount on these, but isn't that going to prevent me from being able to fold the stock? assuming I go with the triangle/100 series folder. I thought I heard the folding AR stock can still fold with the RS regulate mount, but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. If anyone knows whether that's true or not would help in making the decision

96 SS
12-08-12, 22:55
Any folder that folds left blocks the side rail.
This is the triangle and poly 100 series.

But I would still get them original AK side folders. In fact I just got a new one not too long ago.
Our side mounts return to zero every time you take them off no problem. It's a matter of 10 seconds max to either remove and fold or unfold and install.

In reality you don't fold an AK stock unless its in transit, and you don't need an optic if the gun is in a case in the trunk etc.

Let me know if you have any RS mount questions, I know someone that can answer them for you.

SPQR476
12-08-12, 23:45
I've become a big fan of the CNC warrior folders. No tang removal, SOLID galil-style lockup, AR tube so you can use a CTR with risers to get good cheek weld and accommodate armor and no armor LOP. Cheek weld and interference with the side rail are the only downfalls of the 100 series, and quite frankly, I didn't give a crap about side mounts until the RS regulate, where it finally actually works well. If you're down on the traditional AK sighting plane, the cheek weld is workable, also.

96 SS
12-09-12, 06:29
Yeah I've talked a bunch with Chris of Bonesteel who designed them. I think I may pick one up for a project I have going.

They do seem robust, and the LOP adjustment would be nice for this project. For a standard AK I love the Warsaw length.

w3453l
12-09-12, 10:30
Is there any legitimate risers for the 100 series stocks? Or the triangle stocks? I've seen people installing SVD cheek pads onto the triangle folders, but when I looked further into it I saw that they were using tape to hold it on which was kind of a turn off.

Also, I remember hearing that there was going to be an RS Regulate mount for the acog released soon? Is this true?

And last, how does anyone have an experience with the TWS dogleg rails that replace to receiver cover? Is there anyway to mount an optic onto these that has a quick detach feature?

Thanks everyone these replies are helping

96 SS
12-09-12, 10:52
No.
Yes.
Any QD rail mount works fine on the TWS.

eodinert
12-09-12, 10:55
With several current optical sight offerings for the AK, you won't need a riser... you're looking down the focal plane of the iron sights, even through the optic.

Peshawar
12-10-12, 07:05
Saw this the other day. Might be kinda cool. You'd need to figure out a lock latch for it though I'd imagine. Haven't fingerbanged one yet....Tactubes AK100-MAG (http://www.srvv.org/en/catalog/1317/30626/)

http://www.srvv.org/upload/iblock/367/38848ed1-e2c6-11e0-b996-6cf04956be24_be52c4ca-e2ca-11e0-ba1f-0018f36a3392.resize1.jpeg

w3453l
12-10-12, 10:28
I've never seen or heard of that before but it looks very interesting. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also, I was intending to mount an acog, assuming I were to have the 100 series stock, what rail would be the better choice between the TWS or RS regulate?

halmbarte
12-10-12, 11:22
I've never been that impressed with AR stocks, not even on a AR.

Why people feel the need to stick them on everything is beyond me.

H

Belloc
12-10-12, 13:48
Edit.

Aries144
12-10-12, 23:07
When used with armor, the 100 type stock on my Bulgarian SLR-106 is longer than I like. I'd like it to be about 1.5" to 2" shorter. Best way to do this with an AK is with an M4 type stock.

The Russian 100 series stock uses a larger diameter hinge pin than the AKS-74 and Bulgarian type folding stocks right? Anyone know if it would be possible to make a conversion to make the above stock work on a Bulgy?

ETA: That stock tube should be a direct replacement for a Russian type AK 100 series stock and has the slot milled to mate with the existing locking button. The question is, do they make a version for the older small hinge pin version, like that used on the AKS-74 and the Bulgarian AK-100 clones, like my SLR-106FR.

96 SS
12-11-12, 04:39
Correct:
New Russian: 5.5mm pin and different angle trunion.
Old Russian/Bulgarian: 4.5mm pin

PRESIDIO
12-26-12, 19:24
I've really come to like the Vltor stock unit on this AK
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/presidiodefense/AKWarStick.jpg

kmrtnsn
12-26-12, 20:37
The Vltor system for the AK is too low for my taste, necessitating the use of risers on Magpul stocks, which if you are Magpul is great, you get to sell another $20 dollar accessory.

The New Rifle Dynamics mount retains the factory stock mount and raising the new receiver extension so that the shooter gets the correct cheek weld. I put this on my AK a few months back and love it.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/static/images/productimage-picture-ak-ar-stock-adapter-513_jpg_280x280_q85.jpg

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/static/images/productimage-picture-ak-ar-stock-adapter-488_jpg_280x280_q85.jpg

Here is a pic of the Vltor so you can see the height difference.

http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/images/AKsmall-600.jpg

OH58D
12-26-12, 22:12
I like my AKs to look like an AK, my ARs to look like an AR. That being said, I like the AK-100 series side folders, both the triangle steel and polymer. The steel triangle makes for a compact carbine when folded. However, with both the AK and AR platforms, there's lots of room for individual style. One man's perfect setup may look like hell to the next person. All are good as long as they can send lead down range.