PDA

View Full Version : I was tired of carrying spare magazines on my hip. Results inside.

SW-Shooter
12-08-12, 16:24
First off, I must thank Raven Concealment Systems for making this finely crafted solution to my problem.

I really got tired of having to carry spare magazines on my weakside hip, so I took the measurements of several pair of jeans and pants, compiled the measurements so the magazine carrier would fit even the smallest pocketed pants. I send the measurements and a crude drawing to RCS. They told me no problem, they can make it.

Here is the final product. Carrying 2 Glock 30 magazines.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo8.jpg

Slides easily into the largest pocketed jeans I have. I also tested it with the smallest pocket and the fit is perfect.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo7.jpg
Fully seated, I could easily use larger Glock 21 magazines without them being seen at he top of the pocket.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo11.jpg

I put it in the right pocket just for a quick (and blurry iPhone picture).

What happens when you carry a loose magazine in your rear pocket.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo14.jpg
With 2-Glock 21 magazines inserted in the carrier.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo12.jpg
They almost disappear perfectly. Remember these are G21 magazines, I carry G30 magazines.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo13.jpg

This allows for a reduced profile, no more handgun on the right hip, magazines on the weak side left hip. It will take some time to get used to reloading from the rear pocket, but I'm certain with practice I can become as efficient as I was with the hip mounted magazine carrier.

Thanks again to RCS and their excellent TEAM> Especially to Tom F., John F., and Josh M..

R0CKETMAN
12-08-12, 16:31
Pretty cool idea. How is it when you sit?

SW-Shooter
12-08-12, 16:43
Pretty cool idea. How is it when you sit?

Barely noticeable actually. It kind of counter balances the wallet in the right side pocket. These are large .45 caliber magazines, and I was comfortable sitting thru dinner and a movie. I haven't tried sitting all day with them, yet.

B Cart
12-08-12, 16:43
Looks like a pretty good idea. How well does the mag holder stay in the pocket when pulling out a spare mag?

SW-Shooter
12-08-12, 16:49
Playing with it a little.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z253/dhsgman/photo15.jpg

Littlelebowski
12-08-12, 16:51
How do you keep from drawing the whole carrier out of your pocket?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SW-Shooter
12-08-12, 16:58

B Cart and ski

Well my ass of course.:haha: The magazines just slide out of the carrier with little effort. The top of the pocket stitching, and the overlap of material keeps it put nicely. It's really something you'd have to experience, it's kind of difficult to explain eloquently. Also the inner finishing of the kydex is very well done. What you cannot see in the photo's is the slight curvature of the carrier.

ST911
12-08-12, 17:50
You will wear through the pocket in no time.
You will reach to that pocket for a reload only with deliberate, conscious thought for a long time.
Sustained use may result in spinal/muscular issues similar to a wallet. Talk to your MD or DO.

I'd use these for some deep cover ap only, if even then.

SW-Shooter
12-08-12, 18:22
You will reach to that pocket for a reload only with deliberate, conscious thought for a long time.
Sustained use may result in spinal/muscular issues similar to a wallet. Talk to your MD or DO. I've never heard of a wallet causing back issue's???

It was the same muscle memory training to reload from the weak side, so I know I will have to train my brain.

As for wearing through, I only keep a pair of pants until they become unserviceable. They are a use and replace item, just like a belt is. I'm confident that this is a solution to my problem, I just don't like carrying my ammo on my hip anymore. As for back problems, it can't get any worse, I have a 3 level lumbar fusion with a future of surgeries ahead of me. It would be no different for those that place mag carriers on their hip, they are putting the weight on their hips just like I am, either way the belt is doing all the distribution of weight.

SPQR476
12-08-12, 20:41
Putting the gun and mags up front IWB fixed all back problems from carrying for me, and I can carry that way on an 18 hour drive with no issues. I can't even keep a wallet in my back pocket after my back injury.

nc_556
12-08-12, 21:48
Skintop is actually correct about the potential to cause back issues.

Rigid objects in rear pockets that are sat upon regularly can place pressure on the roots of the sciatic nerve. This can lead to sciatica. The symptoms can be as minor as tingling and numbness in the legs, similar to pins and needles, and as severe as acute back pain in the lower lumbar region.

If it works for you that's great. If you suddenly notice tingling or pain in your back or legs try moving the mag holder. It's not something I would do regularly personally, but hey, everyone is different and some aren't as susceptible to sciatic nerve pressure.

Dustin Cantrell
12-09-12, 00:05
Wouldn't you want the mags both facing the same way? When I draw a magazine for a reload I want it indexed with the primer towards my thumb and the bullet towards my index finger. When I bring it up to reload I turn my hand upwards and shove it in. Why have the mags face different directions?

Salamander
12-09-12, 01:07
Skintop is actually correct about the potential to cause back issues.

Rigid objects in rear pockets that are sat upon regularly can place pressure on the roots of the sciatic nerve. This can lead to sciatica. The symptoms can be as minor as tingling and numbness in the legs, similar to pins and needles, and as severe as acute back pain in the lower lumbar region.

If it works for you that's great. If you suddenly notice tingling or pain in your back or legs try moving the mag holder. It's not something I would do regularly personally, but hey, everyone is different and some aren't as susceptible to sciatic nerve pressure.

Right. It can also be more subtle than that. I learned all about functional imbalances many years ago when I ran competitively. It turned out that years of carrying a wallet in the back pocket had gradually forced one side slightly out of alignment and as a result one leg had become a quarter inch shorter than the other. It didn't matter much until I started running greater distances, and then with the added stress it caused a succession of minor injuries. A few trips to the chiropractor took care of it, the injuries went away as the miles went up, and I moved my wallet to a front pocket. It's been there ever since.

Carrying a pistol at 4:00 hasn't caused anything similar so far, but I'm watching it and will adjust if necessary. I'd be far more concerned about regular back pocket magazine carry especially since I spend a lot of time sitting at a computer. I do occasionally slip a mag in a back pocket when I'm just dashing to the store and don't want to take the time for the full setup, but it's an infrequent occurrence at most.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-09-12, 01:14
Sustained use may result in spinal/muscular issues similar to a wallet. Talk to your MD or DO.

When I carried my HK P7 I used a single mag carrier like this for my spare. Never had back problems, but it does rub a hole where the mag baseplate is, but the P7 mags have a thin baseplate, so maybe thicker plastic ones won't be as much of an issue.

EDIT: Didn't try it, but perhaps ironing in one of the 'patches' prophilactaly on the inside of the pocket would help with the wear issue. I do consider it a major issue since it can wear thru with out you noticing and then 1. people see the mag and 2. it would make the retrieval harder.

Raven does make small triangle shapped plastic 'anchors' for pocket carry. They act like teeth to keep the carrier from coming with the mag. I practiced reloads a lot and never really had an issue with the carrier coming with the mag.

ST911
12-09-12, 11:14
When I carried my HK P7 I used a single mag carrier like this for my spare. Never had back problems, but it does rub a hole where the mag baseplate is, but the P7 mags have a thin baseplate, so maybe thicker plastic ones won't be as much of an issue.

EDIT: Didn't try it, but perhaps ironing in one of the 'patches' prophilactaly on the inside of the pocket would help with the wear issue. I do consider it a major issue since it can wear thru with out you noticing and then 1. people see the mag and 2. it would make the retrieval harder.

The iron on patches peel with washings, and can be pulled free if snagged by the mag. Wear will also show in the shape of the patch, which is better than the shape of the mag. The added thickness and rigidity to the pocket will stress the stitching at the top corners of the pocket faster, pulling free, and making holes.

Working up various jeans-carry solutions, I've found that the best answer to reduce pocket wear profiling is stitching two additional layers inside the pocket. Ideally, the interior a heavier duty cordura layer or padded layer of some sort. Back pocket corners should be reinforced.

tb-av
12-09-12, 11:54

Amen to that.... that's exactly what happened to me at a steel match. I even had the mags pulled a bit so they would release more easily. Still pulled the whole damn thing out. It's amazingly difficult to shake that mag out. Although I had leather...kydex is probably slicker.

Littlelebowski
12-09-12, 13:49
Nice execution but flawed concept in my book. Don't understand the hangup with a belt mounted carrier.

Magic_Salad0892
12-09-12, 13:50
Nice execution but flawed concept in my book. Don't understand the hangup with a belt mounted carrier.

My problem would be that they're facing two different directions.

SW-Shooter
12-09-12, 15:44

I was really tired of having to wear shirts that accommodated the larger profile of a dual mag carrier. I wear my carry gun between 2:30 - 3:00, it's a Glock 30SF with TLR-1S in an RCS Phantom LC. It's not the slimmest handgun, but I shoot it quite well. The .45 ACP mags are thick. I should wear a large shirt, but had to upgrade the an XL because of printing of the dual mag carrier, no matter where I wore it the printing was obvious. I hate having to wear an XL shirt because it is just too big. So, I had to think of a solution.

About the magazines facing different directions. I've been under fire before and I completely understand what adrenaline does to ones thought process. When I carry I train to reach in my back pocket for reloading, I've been doing that for over a year now. I don't have to worry about clearing my cover garment, it turns out to be much faster than you think. If I need the odd facing magazine bad enough I highly doubt the position is going to hinder speed that much.

The back pocket carrier does not move because the magazines have enough resistance to keep the magazines secured, but allow for a smooth removal when pull on intentionally. My hind end puts enough pressure to keep everything where it's supposed to be, just like it does with my wallet. I doubt many people have a problem removing their wallet from their pocket, well think of your wallet in a Kydex shell, that's what is does for the magazines.

I challenge someone to invest the small amount to try it (less than $36.00), I think you'll be as impressed as I was. I was actually so impressed I wonder why more people don't think of it as an option. Also, we are talking about something that is easily placed in your back pocket (just like a wallet), and carried for a few hours a day, mostly after work and in casual clothes. I don't think of it as a replacement for the hip carrier, but as an option when you want to grab spare mags quick and hit the door. I like wearing shirts that fit me, instead of me buying clothes to fit my gun/mags, I have my gun/mags fit my clothes.

Tomac
01-06-13, 15:30
I use this from Galco to carry the reload for my M&P 9c in my weakside back pocket: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3500&GunID=550
Due to the material there's no worry about pulling the mag carrier out w/the mag during a reload and the angle is great for the weakside hand to grasp the mag.
Tomac

Bulletdog
01-06-13, 16:44
I'm glad you found a system that works for you, but I couldn't sit on that all day. Front pockets work fine for me.

Nice to know there is a quality company out there that can do custom work too. Thanks for posting.

bigredneck61088
01-10-13, 17:04
I like it! Would work even better with single stacks i bet...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Airhasz
01-10-13, 17:22
Excellent setup, I'd run one.

CaptainN8
01-10-13, 18:16
My single mag carrier(G19) prints a little, but I don't much care about that because the gun doesn't.

Not a big deal for the mags to print, IMO it could be passed off as anything. Tell everyone it is your colostomy bag.:D

bubba04
01-10-13, 18:26
I carry a spare mag for my 19 like that lose in my back pocket. I don't even notice it back there when sitting. I like your idea.

One issue I have with carrying At 9 is depending on what I am wearing I find they print. Concealing pistol is easy, mags I am struggling with.

jenrick
01-10-13, 22:13
I've carried my pocket knife clipped to my back pocket for a long time on my weak side. I've experimented with putting a mag there, seems to work quiet well. Not sure I'd carry a pair, but I can see it working well.

-Jenrick

Alaskapopo
01-10-13, 22:15
Good concealability slow reload. I will keep my mags on my belt. But some may like it.
Pat

Mysteryman
01-11-13, 00:42
So how do you access those magazines if your support hand is wounded and otherwise unusable? Can you reach those magazines with your right hand?

MM

jck397
01-11-13, 11:38
I've carried my pocket knife clipped to my back pocket for a long time on my weak side. I've experimented with putting a mag there, seems to work quiet well. Not sure I'd carry a pair, but I can see it working well.

-Jenrick

I run a surefire G2 bezel-up on the outside of my weak-side back pocket right next to my wallet. In most pants the wallet flaps secure/retain the light, and keep it in the same position, and since it's on the outside I don't sit on it and it stays off to the side. I'm sure a G19 or similar mag would fit the same.