PDA

View Full Version : Colt buffer tube questions

WickedWillis
12-09-12, 00:04
I went out today all day and price shopped some Colt 6920's and one 6940 and the all had an issue that I felt was odd. On every Colt I handled today there was some sort of glue/adhesive on the buffer tube and it impeded the movement of the stock. Is this as common as I found it today? Also as I will be buying one later this week, what would be the best solvent to remove this? Just to add, the best price I found today on a 6920 was $1090. Cabelas also had some very nice 6940's with Daniel Defense omega rails for about $1690.

Warp
12-09-12, 00:50
I went out today all day and price shopped some Colt 6920's and one 6940 and the all had an issue that I felt was odd. On every Colt I handled today there was some sort of glue/adhesive on the buffer tube and it impeded the movement of the stock. Is this as common as I found it today? Also as I will be buying one later this week, what would be the best solvent to remove this? Just to add, the best price I found today on a 6920 was $1090. Cabelas also had some very nice 6940's with Daniel Defense omega rails for about $1690.

FYI:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/

Shipping ($30) and FFL transfer fee on the above will probably be less than $1,090 + Tax. Just another option.

WickedWillis
12-09-12, 01:00
Any input is welcome, thank you.

Iraqgunz
12-09-12, 01:00
What is your experience level with the AR15 family of weapons? Is it possible that it was type of preservative?

3 AE
12-09-12, 01:11
I would just spray some WD-40 on it and wipe down with a rag. If that doesn't work then it's time to pull out the Dremel with a wire wheel attachment and go at it with "Norwegian Steam"! On second thought, belay that last suggestion! :D

WickedWillis
12-09-12, 01:23
I owned a DPMS oracle for nearly a year and I have handled several other brands. I have never seen it on other AR. Just curious as to what it was and how I could remove it. It's possibly anything I'm really not sure.

Aaron_B
12-09-12, 03:20
I would go with what IG said, being some type of preserative. I would imagine acetone or alcohol would remove it with no problem.

eperk
12-09-12, 08:03
It's snot.

C4IGrant
12-09-12, 08:33

There is no adhesive on the RECEIVER EXTENSION. The stock (Rogers Super Stock) is overly tight and that is why it feels like it is "sticky."

We sell 6920's for $1050 and $20 shipping (no tax either) if interested.

C4

Dessert Fox
12-09-12, 09:04
Yeah, the last 6920 I looked at had some weird goop all over it. It was like an oily film that made the buffer tube feel sticky and the clips didn't really slide freely into/out if the mag well. I did a 360 and walked away.

C4IGrant
12-09-12, 09:23
Yeah, the last 6920 I looked at had some weird goop all over it. It was like an oily film that made the buffer tube feel sticky and the clips didn't really slide freely into/out if the mag well. I did a 360 and walked away.

All Colt AR's have a lubricant over them from the factory. This doesn't hinder any functionality though.

C4

jet66
12-09-12, 10:04
Pretty much every rifle, pistol, or parts I have purchased new have been covered with some sort of protective lube, regardless of brand.

And doing a 540 would have looked cooler.

Warp
12-09-12, 12:04
There is no adhesive on the RECEIVER EXTENSION. The stock (Rogers Super Stock) is overly tight and that is why it feels like it is "sticky."

C4

Why did the one I ordered yesterday have $30 for processing/handling?

djmorris
12-09-12, 12:34
Just leave it on there. Who cares? It's most likely to protect from rust, etc. If you don't like it then wipe it off with a rag.

C4IGrant
12-09-12, 14:10
Why did the one I ordered yesterday have $30 for processing/handling?

Might be an error. Will have to look at our shopping cart.

C4

WickedWillis
12-09-12, 14:28

C4

I am definitely interested sir. I will be in contact with you soon.

Iraqgunz
12-09-12, 15:23
Maybe its because you were putting clips in the mag well. Sorry but you statement is one of the most idiotic that I have heard in the last 6 months.

JSantoro
12-09-12, 15:49
and the clips didn't really slide freely into/out if the mag well.

The bolded portions represent the crux of your problem :rolleyes:

The problem isn't with the gun, it's a "headspacing malfunction" on the part of the one looking at it.

So is not knowing that things made of freakin' METAL often have sacrificial protective coatings applied to them when they get packaged.

What the hell, people; that's not even a firearm-specific practice...