PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoimt T1: Larue or GG&G?

The Archangel
02-21-08, 11:34
I know there's a huge LT following here and I own several Larue optic mounts myself, but I also have some GG&G stuff that has been great as well.

What do you guys think about the GG&G T1 mount -vs- the Larue?

GG&G:
$610 WITH Aimpoint T1

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=172&parents=69,70

http://www.gggaz.com/uploaded_images/Accucam%20T-1%20Mount/AccucamT-1MountCollage.jpg

We think the new Aimpoint Micro T-1 is a great tactical scope. It has a downside however, the scope design does not accommodate flip up lens covers; you cannot purchase any that fit. Yes it comes with the bikini lens covers, but most individuals will loose those in the first month, and they are not the easist lens covers to remove, keep in place or reinstall.

GG&G has a very unique solution, so unique that it has a patent pending. An Accucam Quick Deatch T-1 Mount that includes a built in provision that provides for the installation of a flip up lens cover for the ocular end. In addition to the ocular lens cover being included, the kit also includes a specially prepared flip up lens cover that fits the objective lens. The Aimpoint T-1 easily and solidly installs onto the lightweight GG&G Accucam QD mount with four 3mm screws. The installation wrench is included in the kit. The ocular end of the T-1 scope fits perfectly into the small integral lens cover flange, and while providing the means to mount a flip up lens cover, it does not interfere with the field of view. The T-1 mount is manufactured from solid billet 6061 T6 aluminum and is Type III hard coat anodized matte black per mil-spec. The New GG&G Aimpoint T-1 QD Mount is manufactured to mount directly to the AR15/M16 integral rail. This will position the red dot just above the front sight post, yet is low enough to co-witness with the GG&G MAD, A2, or Spring Actuated A2 BUIS.
The Accucam Quick Detach Locking Lever System provides you with a solid method to quickly install or remove the Aimpoint T-1 from the weapon. The scope can quickly be installed on a dovetail rail in seconds by rotating the Accucam Lever to the locked position. It can then be quickly removed by rotating the Accucam Cam Lever to the unlocked position. Unlike other QD lever systems, it is fully adjustable to fit Weaver and MIL-STD-1913 dovetails. The unique Accucam design allows you to adjust the tension to accommodate out of spec or worn dovetails. The ergonomic finger loop of the lever is easily operated, even with a gloved hand and the round design is virtually snag proof. The Accucam mechanism is manufactured from solid billet 4140 steel and manganese phosphated matte black per mil-spec.

Larue:
$640 WITH T1

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1011733200.JPG

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/P1011722%20200.JPG

tiger seven
02-21-08, 11:46
LaRue.

I like the T-1 because it's so damn small. That GG&G version makes it bit bigger than I'd care for it to be, and the lens covers don't really seem necessary to me. I have no issues with the bikini cover, and I haven't lost or broken mine yet. Also, I've never been overly impressed with anything from GG&G. As always, YMMV.

Derek

Failure2Stop
02-21-08, 15:26
Aimpoint is going to be extending the tube on the Micro's to accept after-market covers.

Even if they weren't, I'd still go with the LaRue. I don't think the mount is elegant or pretty, but neither am I. I'd probably stick to LaRue even if it gave me ED and a burning sensation ;) .

Jay Cunningham
02-21-08, 15:28
Personally I think the GG&G is a nice looking mount, though it is a bit pricey. I don't have any experience with their accu-cam, however so I don't know how solid it is compared to the LT throwlever.

The Archangel
02-21-08, 16:28
Personally I think the GG&G is a nice looking mount, though it is a bit pricey. I don't have any experience with their accu-cam, however so I don't know how solid it is compared to the LT throwlever.

GG&G:
$610 WITH Aimpoint T1

Larue:
$640 WITH Aimpoint T1

I don't know anything about their Accu-Cam either.

Sabre675
02-23-08, 01:08
Aimpoint is going to be extending the tube on the Micro's to accept after-market covers.

Even if they weren't, I'd still go with the LaRue. I don't think the mount is elegant or pretty, but neither am I. I'd probably stick to LaRue even if it gave me ED and a burning sensation ;) .

Do you know this for sure? If so any idea when they're going to change the design?

Thanks,

Kevin

Failure2Stop
02-23-08, 08:24
Do you know this for sure? If so any idea when they're going to change the design?

As I understand from an Aimpoint rep (I will not say who in case I am mistaken on my info) the T-2 will have a 2 MOA dot and longer tube.
No ETA yet, as the diode for a 2 MOA dot in a Micro is different than all other models, and was in process as of my last info.

Unless you were asking about the ED and burning sensation, in which case I would have to say that while some burning during urination may be bearable, erectile dysfunction would be a deal-breaker, sorry Mark.

CarlosDJackal
02-23-08, 11:00

Thanks,

Kevin

I've heard the same thing. I also heard that they are going to offer a 2MOA model. Personally, I'm holding out for that model. As far as scope covers, all I really want is one for the objective lense (to protect it while in the case).

DocGKR
02-23-08, 11:41
Just about every item we've purchased from GG&G has broken...I am not too excited about their stuff.

Bulldog1967
02-23-08, 13:01
Just about every item we've purchased from GG&G has broken...I am not too excited about their stuff.

I've had two mounts of theirs break as well.

Larue for me.

Sabre675
02-23-08, 13:55
I've heard the same thing. I also heard that they are going to offer a 2MOA model. Personally, I'm holding out for that model. As far as scope covers, all I really want is one for the objective lense (to protect it while in the case).

Hopefully it is soon. I love the RDO and think it would be perfect on my SBR for work, but I don't like the rubber covers for fast acquisition of the optic.

Kevin

KevinB
03-01-08, 09:34
Larue - no question about it.

Not only is Larue gear better -- but Mark is a great guy (even if not a great internet personality sometimes)

GLOCKMASTER
03-01-08, 14:36
As someone says from time to time, If LaRue is an option LaRue is the answer.

Resq47
03-01-08, 19:47
LaRue is it here too. Is there really a reason to use caps anyway? I still have a front cover on an ML2 as I read that that element isn't repairable while the rear is. Easier to do occluded drills too...

Anyway, some hosing from the camelback has always cleared any dust/mud/whatever just fine.

Mark LaRue
03-02-08, 13:55
Just a quick note ...

We're making the HK416 height right now, and we added a bit of fluff to it. i.e. side slots, ribs, etc.

And hey, thanks to all for the referrals, I can assure you all that we're doing our absolute dangdest.

:^)

M. LaRue

Lumpy196
03-02-08, 15:25
Larue - no question about it.

Not only is Larue gear better -- but Mark is a great guy (even if not a great internet personality sometimes)

Bears repeating.

USMC03
03-02-08, 16:20
I have my Aimpoint T1 Micro in a LaRue mount.

I have no experience with the GG&G T1 Micro mount, but I have used a wide range of GG&G products since the mid-90's. My thoughts and experiences with GG&G product line posted here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9865&highlight=GG%26G

S/F,
Jeff

Magsz
03-03-08, 15:53
Will the existing t-1 be updated with the longer tube in order to accommodate a front cover?

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to that question but i figured i would ask anyway.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
03-04-08, 00:23
100% LaRue here...

Robb Jensen
03-04-08, 05:29
I really like the LaRue tall mounts. I messed with other GG&G stuff but I don't like the weight of their stuff and have had the Accu-Cam shift zeros on EOTechs when removed and reinstalled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/38959473.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/e5da2a30.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/4df207a7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/735336c0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/Glock19011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/Glock19010.jpg

nickdrak
03-10-08, 23:18
Guys with the LaRue T-1 mount, does the mount come with its own mounting hardware, or do you use the factory mounting hardware?

The reason I ask is because I just received my LaRue T-1 (LT660) mount in the mail today and it did not include any mounting hardware in the packaging, only the QD lever adjustment wrench was included.

USMC03
03-10-08, 23:19
Nick,

Use the Aimpoint T1 factory screws.

S/F,
Jeff

nickdrak
03-10-08, 23:29
Nick,

Use the Aimpoint T1 factory screws.

S/F,
Jeff

Thanks man!

KevinB
03-11-08, 01:46
and loctite them...

JoJunior
03-11-08, 01:47
I want more choices ;)

Laure is good as long as they made that "block" see-through.

nickdrak
03-11-08, 03:38
I want more choices ;)

What purpose would that serve? You can see your fixed or flip-up irons through the T-1 as is.

Sabre675
03-11-08, 06:10
I want more choices ;)

Larue mounts are allow a 1/3 co-witness of your Iron Sights.

JoJunior
03-11-08, 13:00
Thinking of a situation when a very low front / rear flip-up sights (Knights front & rear or ARMS rear) are not deployed. Also, see-through could save a bit weight IMO.

Sabre675
03-11-08, 13:50
They have two models, a low for your situation and a standard. Entire optic and mount weighs 3 oz.

JoJunior
03-11-08, 15:47
If I want to deploy the front and rear buis, how does the lower version work with them?

I am looking for the best of both worlds.......(flip-up, flip-down buis)

nickdrak
03-11-08, 19:49
If I want to deploy the front and rear buis, how does the lower version work with them?

I am looking for the best of both worlds.......(flip-up, flip-down buis)

Either LaRue mount works fine with fixed or flip up iron sights. The high mount places the irons (whether fixed or flip up) in the lower 1/3 of the sight picture when looking through the Aimpoint. The Low mount will place the iron sights in the dead center of the sight picture.

For most shooters the "lower 1/3 co-witness" is much preferred due to a less cluttered sight picture when using the optic. I also prefer the Lower 1/3 co-witness and prefer to run my rifle with the front iron sight flipped up, and the rear flipped down. If I need to transition to the irons due to an unlikely failure of the Aimpoint, I only need to flip up the rear sight and view the irons through the Aimpoint. In the even less likely event that the Aimpoint is damaged to the point that the glass or body of the Aimpoint is damaged to the point that you cannot see through it, the LaRue mounts QD (Quick Detach) option allows you to quickly remove it to use the irons un-obstructed.

As far as lightening of the LaRue optic mounts goes, they are designed for "fighting guns" used in the worst of conditions. While you will see many competition shooters using the LaRue mounts on their rifles, LaRue wont likely make any concessions toward making their mounts lighter due to their intended use.

I HIGHLY recommend that you read the article "Running The Red Dot Right" from Pat Rogers from I believe the Jan/08 issue of S.W.A.T. magazine. It is an excellent reference on properly setting up and using an Aimpoint or Eotech optic in conjunction with your iron sights on a AR-15. Hope this helps.

m4fun
03-11-08, 23:26
and loctite them...

Ditto here - started getting poi shift and when I went to remove the Larue and remount it, 1 screw fell out and 2 of the 3 remaining were loose.

I like the GGG concept but went Larue. Cant wait to see the new fluff.

sovereign
06-18-08, 16:57
nevermind

m4fun
06-18-08, 19:51
Why not, a T2. I love technology and building the better mousetrap. I am amassing quite a collection of Aimpoints. Should open a museum in a few years.

CLHC
06-18-08, 21:11
Funny that I've never heard of LaRue till coming onboard here to M4C. Shows how much I've yet to learn. In my case, I've gone the way of GG&G for my Aimpoint, though not with the said one here. :)

JSGlock34
06-18-08, 21:34
Guys with the LaRue T-1 mount, does the mount come with its own mounting hardware, or do you use the factory mounting hardware?

The reason I ask is because I just received my LaRue T-1 (LT660) mount in the mail today and it did not include any mounting hardware in the packaging, only the QD lever adjustment wrench was included.

My LT-660 came with steel screws from LaRue. They looked a bit sturdier than the factory ones. I understand that Aimpoint is changing the factory screws from hex head to Torx screws.

steyrman13
10-08-12, 10:13
What abou the ADM mount compared to Larue?

titanse05
10-08-12, 10:32
Bumping a four year old thread.... Fail

steyrman13
10-08-12, 10:55
Bumping a four year old thread.... Fail

Sorry Limited access on the work computers where most everything is Denied. Didn't realize it was that old until you pointed it out. Sorry

wahoo95
10-08-12, 11:12
The Larue mount is hard to beat. Don't overlook the mount from ADM as its an excellent mount as well.

Kimberstanko
10-23-12, 17:13
Lt660. The gg&g makes the "micro" not so micro!

Army Chief
10-23-12, 20:04
As far as necroposts go, this one is unlikely to lend itself to a useful ressurection, as there now a number of other Aimpoint Micro mounts out there that trump the GG&G and LaRue units originally discussed here.

Please do a search for contemporary Aimpoint T-1 mount solutions, or just start another thread, if you prefer. We just don't want to keep drawing folks to a 2008-vintage thread that is focused upon some fairlly-dated products.

Thanks,
AC