PDA

View Full Version : Sturmgewehr turned into police

Amp Mangum
12-09-12, 16:25
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video-30000-ww2-rifle-turned-in-during-police-gun-buyback/

Safetyhit
12-09-12, 16:27
"The weapon is a German, WW2 era rifle valued between $20,000 – 40,000
Police are allowing the owner to take back possession of the gun."

Good Lord.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-09-12, 16:37
The police should auction it off as a collectors item. The owner has no right to it.

GeorgiaBoy
12-09-12, 18:16
Edit to avoid drama queens.

khc3
12-09-12, 18:27
Theres no way in hell that the owner owned this gun legally through the NFA. If he did, he would know its value and damn sure wouldn't have given it to a "police buy back" just to get a few bucks.

Do the police record people's info when they buy back guns? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if the BATF knocked on his door in the next few days...

LOL, yeah, I think it's pretty obvious this was a war trophy that ended up in the hands of an old widow.

No need to hyperventilate about it.

GeorgiaBoy
12-09-12, 18:56
LOL, yeah, I think it's pretty obvious this was a war trophy that ended up in the hands of an old widow.

No need to hyperventilate about it.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the ATF took a look into it.

CarlosDJackal
12-09-12, 19:14
Theres no way in hell that the owner owned this gun legally through the NFA. If he did, he would know its value and damn sure wouldn't have given it to a "police buy back" just to get a few bucks.

Do the police record people's info when they buy back guns? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if the BATF knocked on his door in the next few days...

Quit being such a drama queen about this. If you actually paid attention to story them mentioned that the WIDOW of a WWII Veteran was the one who brought the rifle. :rolleyes:

C-grunt
12-09-12, 19:24
Had a widow bring in a Japanese Type 99 that her late husband had liberated from the South Pacific. Luckily I had a gun guy as a Lt who was able to call his old partner at the ATF and get it into a museum.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/machinegun.jpg

SteyrAUG
12-09-12, 22:29
Quit being such a drama queen about this. If you actually paid attention to story them mentioned that the WIDOW of a WWII Veteran was the one who brought the rifle. :rolleyes:

And IF it happens to be on the registry, it could legally transfer to the widow on a Form 5.

Iraqgunz
12-09-12, 23:49
If you don't know what you are talking about, you probably shouldn't type it here. There are very few facts in that story for us to know anything other than potential value.

For all we know the deceased had it registered after the war and there is documentation somewhere to prove it. This isn't the first time it has happened and I have seen plenty of stories of wives, husbands, grand kids, etc.. who turned in firearms worth shitloads of cash because they were either ignorant or duped by some stupid buy back program.

Edit to avoid drama queens.

Moose-Knuckle
12-10-12, 02:13
Had a widow bring in a Japanese Type 99 that her late husband had liberated from the South Pacific. Luckily I had a gun guy as a Lt who was able to call his old partner at the ATF and get it into a museum.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/machinegun.jpg

Wow! I'm glad they found a home for it and it wasn't torched.

One of my great-uncles who served in WWII brought back an MP-40 from Europe. My father and I still wonder what the hell happened to it after all these years.

SMETNA
12-10-12, 03:44
Wow! I'm glad they found a home for it and it wasn't torched.

One of my great-uncles who served in WWII brought back an MP-40 from Europe. My father and I still wonder what the hell happened to it after all these years.

Own a metal detector?

feedramp
12-10-12, 06:32
Own a metal detector?
:D Was thinking the same thing!

Amp Mangum
12-10-12, 09:18
We really need another NFA amnesty.