PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Attempts to Pull Over LEO

SMETNA
12-10-12, 00:27
http://youtu.be/bmjkr06pA1k

:lol: BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What a guy. He's lucky the officer DIDN'T pull over. Probably would've been charged for some obscure violation, just for being silly.

Who cares if he wasn't wearing his seatbelt? We all know that vehicles are a death trap in a gunfight, and the faster you can escape the vehicle and find cover to return fire from, the better. I bet most urban-AO officers don't buckle up. (Particularly Detroit, aka Mogadishu)

SMETNA
12-10-12, 01:17
Just watch a couple of his other vids. This guy is a full on window licker. He can't spell worth a damn, and he frequently impedes the flow of traffic by trying to get footage of police breaking the laws and road crews being wasteful/lazy.

GeorgiaBoy
12-10-12, 01:30
Do people have anything else better to do?

YouTube really has created, or at least proliferated, a lot of idiots.

SMETNA
12-10-12, 01:44
Do people have anything else better to do?

YouTube really has created, or at least proliferated, a lot of idiots.

This has over 8 million views:
http://youtu.be/o6vN4H6L458

Business_Casual
12-10-12, 06:50
Over 8 million and one, now!

bc

Safetyhit
12-10-12, 07:13
It's hard to describe how odd that whole thing was.

Sensei
12-10-12, 07:38
Just watch a couple of his other vids. This guy is a full on window licker. He can't spell worth a damn, and he frequently impedes the flow of traffic by trying to get footage of police breaking the laws and road crews being wasteful/lazy.

No need to get personal. I'm just trying to save the tax payer a few bucks and keep cops accountable.

J-Dub
12-10-12, 08:46
LOL personally, I wouldve pulled him over. Im sure I could find a city ordinance to apply to this moron.

Zhurdan
12-10-12, 08:47
I bet that cop would have pulled over if the guys first name was John. :D

SteyrAUG
12-10-12, 12:17

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/405/40037405/40037405_384x288_generated.jpg

SteyrAUG
12-10-12, 12:21
It's hard to describe how odd that whole thing was.

When he started hollering "PULL IT OVER" in cop mode I almost laughed myself out of my chair.

Mauser KAR98K
12-10-12, 14:48
Support your local Sovereign Citizen: Watch 'em on Youtube.

F---n looser. Any takers he is on the government dole cause no one would hire this retard at large.

Honu
12-10-12, 15:18
they should get rid of seat belt laws then !

I dont care if if they buckle or not but then no officer anywhere should give out seatbelt tickets ever !!!

its a law everyone should obey it and nobody should be above the law

the moron should have taken a photo and sent it to the papers etc.. rather than maybe creating a problem by not watching the road !

simple rule if you take a photo of the police breaking the law you get a get out of the same ticket free card :)

SteyrAUG
12-10-12, 15:31

I dont care if if they buckle or not but then no officer anywhere should give out seatbelt tickets ever !!!

the moron should have taken a photo and sent it to the papers etc.. rather than maybe creating a problem by not watching the road !

simple rule if you take a photo of the police breaking the law you get a get out of the same ticket free card :)

Actually it looks like he accomplished just that. This cop won't even talk to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBclFwY_32Q

TAZ
12-10-12, 16:09
Retarded is an understatement. I get the idea, of being fed up with the lazy do as I say and not as I do mentality from a lot of government employees, but really!? What's he gonna do next. Try pulling over a cop using his lights to run a red light on his way to the donut shop (before you jump my shit I have actually seen this happen)

currahee
12-10-12, 16:56
http://youtu.be/bmjkr06pA1k

:lol: BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What a guy. He's lucky the officer DIDN'T pull over. Probably would've been charged for some obscure violation, just for being silly.

Who cares if he wasn't wearing his seatbelt? We all know that vehicles are a death trap in a gunfight, and the faster you can escape the vehicle and find cover to return fire from, the better. I bet most urban-AO officers don't buckle up. (Particularly Detroit, aka Mogadishu)

Is it actually your contention that police officers are so likely to get in a gunfight (while driving) that being buckled places more of a risk than say- being in a traffic accident? I'm not sure what you are meaning. If I saw this out of context I would think it was sarcasm, but in context it appears you are serious.

THCDDM4
12-10-12, 17:28
This guy is a dumbass for sure, he needs a productive/constructive hobby bad.

But how about the LEO not follwing the law he enforces; that's about as dumbassed as it gets for me. He gives all LEO's a bad name and perpetuates the negative stigma associated with Law Enforcement.

How can anyone think their authority should be justified if they cannot/are unwilling to follow the laws they enforce on others in the first place?

And if a "Gunfight" scenario is justification for not buckling up, then shouldn't we all get a pass since a similar circumstance could happen to anyone at any time?

Should we not hold LEO's responsible/accountable for the same laws- EVERY LAW they enforce on us?

Sadly, we do not in a lot of cases and the double-standard and negative stigma it has created is terrible for both sides.

Honu
12-10-12, 18:24
Actually it looks like he accomplished just that. This cop won't even talk to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBclFwY_32Q

:) yup

I do like the WTF look of the cop at first :) kinda like the head going back and forth thinking is this happening :)

J-Dub
12-10-12, 21:16
This guy is a dumbass for sure, he needs a productive/constructive hobby bad.

But how about the LEO not follwing the law he enforces; that's about as dumbassed as it gets for me. He gives all LEO's a bad name and perpetuates the negative stigma associated with Law Enforcement.

How can anyone think their authority should be justified if they cannot/are unwilling to follow the laws they enforce on others in the first place?

And if a "Gunfight" scenario is justification for not buckling up, then shouldn't we all get a pass since a similar circumstance could happen to anyone at any time?

Should we not hold LEO's responsible/accountable for the same laws- EVERY LAW they enforce on us?

Sadly, we do not in a lot of cases and the double-standard and negative stigma it has created is terrible for both sides.

Im sorry, but if im going to a hot call you're damn right im taking my seatbelt off a couple blocks before I get to where Im going.

How about this, every officer has discretion (The freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation) and dont HAVE to issue seatbelt tickets. Honestly I dont care if you're too ****ing stupid to use a seatbelt....thats YOUR problem. So maybe the officer in question feels the same way?

This guy is a moron and I would love love love to run into him. I would kill this guy with kindness and intelligence, leaving him dumbfounded and confused.....but that wouldnt make it onto youtube.

SMETNA
12-10-12, 22:54
Is it actually your contention that police officers are so likely to get in a gunfight (while driving) that being buckled places more of a risk than say- being in a traffic accident? I'm not sure what you are meaning. If I saw this out of context I would think it was sarcasm, but in context it appears you are serious.

Yes I'm serious. If I had to drive through some sections of Detroit, I'd not only have my belt unfastened, but I'd have my carbine unlocked and sitting on the passenger seat. Statistically, yes, you're probably much more likely to get into a finder bender than a shoot out. But a ~30mph impact won't kill you as dead as a few rounds to the chest will.

CoryCop25
12-10-12, 23:02

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=4809363

Officer McAlarney was shot in the wrist and was unable to get out of his vehicle due to having his seat belt fastened. He was not able to assist other officers in the gunfight. Being that our Chief was the Chief of Police in that department, he had issued us a memo that we are not to wear our seat belts after this incident occurred.

currahee
12-10-12, 23:27
Yes I'm serious. If I had to drive through some sections of Detroit, I'd not only have my belt unfastened, but I'd have my carbine unlocked and sitting on the passenger seat. Statistically, yes, you're probably much more likely to get into a finder bender than a shoot out. But a ~30mph impact won't kill you as dead as a few rounds to the chest will.

You may be serious, but you are uninformed (and tending towards hyperbole)

Police officers are much more likely to die in traffic accidents than in a gunfight. I don't know what fraction of those that died in accidents would have been saved if they had been wearing seat belts, but it would probably be significant. The number of police officers that are killed because they were wearing a seat belt when they got in a gunfight would be an amazingly small fraction of the ones killed by gunfire.

Traffic-Accidents-Leading-Cause-Of-Police-Deaths (http://www.npr.org/2010/12/29/132441719/Traffic-Accidents-Leading-Cause-Of-Police-Deaths)

police-deaths (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-08-09-police-deaths_x.htm)

Perhaps you are simply making this case because you are looking for any justification for LEOs to not obey the laws they are paid to enforce. However, your argument falls flat under the most cursory of examination.

SteyrAUG
12-10-12, 23:30

Officer McAlarney was shot in the wrist and was unable to get out of his vehicle due to having his seat belt fastened. He was not able to assist other officers in the gunfight. Being that our Chief was the Chief of Police in that department, he had issued us a memo that we are not to wear our seat belts after this incident occurred.

I'm sure there are plenty of cases where somebody in a car accident had a wrist injury and couldn't release the seat belt and as a result was unable to exit the burning car.

So can we all stop wearing seat belts?

And quick question, if the officer was unable to undo his seat belt, how was he going to open the door and employ his weapon and assist?

SMETNA
12-10-12, 23:34
Police officers are much more likely to die in traffic accidents than in a gunfight. I don't know what fraction of those that died in accidents would have been saved if they had been wearing seat belts, but it would probably be significant. The number of police officers that are killed because they were wearing a seat belt when they got in a gunfight would be an amazingly small fraction of the ones killed by gunfire.

^ Understood. I'm not talking about no seatbelt 100% of the time. Highway patrol should wear them. Any officer driving faster than 30 should wear them.

I said TWICE that in Detroit, I'm not sure if its a good idea. If you're slowly patrolling neighborhoods in America's most dangerous city, then yes, unbuckle. I never advocated that for every LEO in every department at every speed. Just ultra-dangerous urban patrol.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

currahee
12-10-12, 23:34

I would be upset that my boss made such an uniformed decision- basing a decision about your safety on reaction to a single incident. LEOs die in traffic accidents at a rate significantly higher than they do in gunfights... and those that die in gunfights because they were wearing a seat-belt would be a much smaller fraction.

I would posit that LEOs die in accidents at a higher rate than the general population, and by any rule of logic they should have seat-belt rules more stringent than the rest of people. Most people who are paid to drive, especially government employees, were required to wear seat-belts long before the general population.

CoryCop25
12-10-12, 23:47
I'm sure there are plenty of cases where somebody in a car accident had a wrist injury and couldn't release the seat belt and as a result was unable to exit the burning car.

So can we all stop wearing seat belts?

And quick question, if the officer was unable to undo his seat belt, how was he going to open the door and employ his weapon and assist?

I agree with you about the burning car analogy. I was just providing an argument to the "cops have to obey the law" argument.
I wear my seat belt most of the time. I am obeying the state laws but I am breaking a department SOP.
Do I write seat belt citations? Not often.... BUT... I will write a seat belt violation in lieu of a moving violation that gives the motorist points and a higher fine. Does that make me a hypocrite?

currahee
12-10-12, 23:54
I agree with you about the burning car analogy. I was just providing an argument to the "cops have to obey the law" argument.
I wear my seat belt most of the time. I am obeying the state laws but I am breaking a department SOP.
Do I write seat belt citations? Not often.... BUT... I will write a seat belt violation in lieu of a moving violation that gives the motorist points and a higher fine. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Most cops that I have met were pretty serious about their seat-belts. I imagine looking at a bunch of traffic accidents would do that to a person.

CoryCop25
12-10-12, 23:54
I would be upset that my boss made such an uniformed decision- basing a decision about your safety on reaction to a single incident. LEOs die in traffic accidents at a rate significantly higher than they do in gunfights... and those that die in gunfights because they were wearing a seat-belt would be a much smaller fraction.

I would posit that LEOs die in accidents at a higher rate than the general population, and by any rule of logic they should have seat-belt rules more stringent than the rest of people. Most people who are paid to drive, especially government employees, were required to wear seat-belts long before the general population.

I agree but when the boss makes an order, sometimes he doesn't want to hear an argument. That is the problem with having one man make the rules.
We then have the dilemma of obeying the law or obeying the boss.
Hey, you should have heard the argument of why switching to Springfield XDs was a really bad idea!

CoryCop25
12-10-12, 23:58
Most cops that I have met were pretty serious about their seat-belts. I imagine looking at a bunch of traffic accidents would do that to a person.

Not saying that it doesn't happen, but, I have never had to unbuckle a dead body from a wreck. I will say that my AO is more of a 25 to 35 MPH area. The highway goes through town but it slows to 35 in my jurisdiction.

SteyrAUG
12-11-12, 00:09

Honestly, I can see where sometimes an officer might NOT want to wear a seat belt. He obviously is putting himself at risk when he does so, but you are now weighing the risk of arriving to a potentially dangerous situation "belted in" against having an unexpected accident while responding to the same situation without a seat belt. Both are potentially bad, and both are realistic scenarios.

And for the regular driver they can also work both ways. They can save your ass or they might strap you in and trap you. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather take my shot with a seat belt than without one. If the car is that banged up my bigger concern is will I be able to get the door open.

SMETNA
12-11-12, 00:24
That's one of many reasons to carry an EDC knife. Cut jammed seatbelts

CoryCop25
12-11-12, 00:30
Honestly, I can see where sometimes an officer might NOT want to wear a seat belt. He obviously is putting himself at risk when he does so, but you are now weighing the risk of arriving to a potentially dangerous situation "belted in" against having an unexpected accident while responding to the same situation without a seat belt. Both are potentially bad, and both are realistic scenarios.

And for the regular driver they can also work both ways. They can save your ass or they might strap you in and trap you. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather take my shot with a seat belt than without one. If the car is that banged up my bigger concern is will I be able to get the door open.

And I think this is where common sense prevails. The guy that made the video is nothing but a guy with an anti cop agenda. It has nothing to do with anyone wearing a seat belt. I wonder how many civilians he yells at for not wearing a seat belt? And the second someone else who has had a negative run in with police tells him he did a great job, his cause gets more justifiable (to him).
It's frustrating to try to explain to people that all cops are not that macho, type-A personality, arrogant prick that they seem to always remember. Most of the time they forget about the polite professional officer that may have helped them out or let them slide on a traffic infraction.
I do understand that a lot of the members that participate in these discussions here are of the type that prefer to not be bothered by law enforcement and I totally understand that. Weather your experience with police has been good or bad, we are also human beings and we are not all the same and if we are not wearing our seat belt or driving a bit fast without our lights on, there may actually be a reason other than "screw you I can do what I want cuz I'm the po-ilce.

Honu
12-11-12, 02:04

again I have no issue if they do not but it should go both ways :)

then the chief should also send out a memo we can not ticket anyone who does not use their seat belt !
we can not be above the law and above those who pay our salary !

I had a bad accident many years ago and did not have my seat belt on and it saved my life !
even the state trooper was amazed I was alive where I would have been strapped in the roof pillar came through the seat ! I was pushed down onto the floor !
freak chance of it happening that way I always wear my belt !

BufordTJustice
12-11-12, 02:48
I work in Orlando. One of our deputies got stabbed in the neck with a screw driver as he was seated in his patrol vehicle a few years back. He lived, but he was VERY lucky.

Don't give me shit about not wearing my seatbelt.

Seatbelt tickets suck. But if that person wears their seatbelt next time they drive, maybe they live through the next car accident a opposed to being ejected.

But hey, cops are assholes right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SMETNA
12-11-12, 03:10
But hey, cops are assholes right?

Nobody here said that.

BufordTJustice
12-11-12, 12:25
Nobody here said that.

I realize that you did not state that, but the implication by several in this thread is that we are extreme hypocrites since we issue seatbelt citations.

We are not. We have a dangerous and thankless job to do. If unbuckling and assuming additional risk in the course of our duties is something that a cop determines is necessary, then that is their personal decision.

Had a guy cartwheel his Jeep Wrangler on State Route 520 (between Orlando and Cocoa) at about 80mph. He was not wearing his seatbelt and he was ejected into a cow pasture. I was the first on scene and watched him die in a pile of mud and cowshit. His girlfriend was seatbelted and walked away with a few minor bruises and scrapes. Maybe if some "asshole" cop gave him a seatbelt ticket before that night, he would still be alive to complain about it. :rolleyes:

The criticism seems like bitter pouting to me.....and it comes across as disrespectful of our sacrifices and the risks we take.

THCDDM4
12-11-12, 13:20
I realize that you did not state that, but the implication by several in this thread is that we are extreme hypocrites since we issue seatbelt citations.

We are not. We have a dangerous and thankless job to do. If unbuckling and assuming additional risk in the course of our duties is something that a cop determines is necessary, then that is their personal decision.

Had a guy cartwheel his Jeep Wrangler on State Route 520 (between Orlando and Cocoa) at about 80mph. He was not wearing his seatbelt and he was ejected into a cow pasture. I was the first on scene and watched him die in a pile of mud and cowshit. His girlfriend was seatbelted and walked away with a few minor bruises and scrapes. Maybe if some "asshole" cop gave him a seatbelt ticket before that night, he would still be alive to complain about it. :rolleyes:

The criticism seems like bitter pouting to me.....and it comes across as disrespectful of our sacrifices and the risks we take.

Not sure if you are spaking to my post in particular, but I'll respond as such...

I did not mean any disrespect to LEO's or anyone (other other than the jqckass in the video- what a douche) else.

I have respect and admiration for LEO's- and all but a frw I have meet are great men deserving of that respect/admiration- that isn't going to stop me from positing my opinions here.

I get not wearing a seat belt buckle in certain circumstances, I guess I just used that as a broad brush regarding accountability on both sides of law enforcement.

I see LEOs break minor laws with no reason quite frequently and have spoken to a few about it as well when a proper window of opportunity presented itself. Most knowledged breaking the law with no reason and after a discussion about how these actions are perceived by the general public and used to further the anti LEO position- a few actually thanked me for my input.

I've never said cops are assholes as a generak statement, ever- I have met a few LEOs who are assholes and I informed them as such.

No one is "bashing cops" in this thread unless I've missed something...

We're all on the same side- although sometimes it can feel otherwise.

Take care and thqbk you for stepping up and practicing your civil duties. It is appreciated.

Honu
12-11-12, 13:44

again its a free choice I have no issue with never said cops were a$$ ! I dont think anybody said that
it is more a how does it look ! you get to break laws but others cant that perception is not good IMHO
just saying police should not be above the law and if a police decides not to wear a belt it is hypocritical to give out tickets for not wearing belts !
its about the same as celebrities saying we need gun control except for me cause I am important !!
we are all supposed to be equal

like I said I wear my belt ! if I was a cop I would wear my belt figuring more die in auto accidents than shootouts !

and the thankless and dangerous ? yes it is ! but you chose the job !
but I think most appreciate what you do :)

SteyrAUG
12-11-12, 15:29
I work in Orlando. One of our deputies got stabbed in the neck with a screw driver as he was seated in his patrol vehicle a few years back. He lived, but he was VERY lucky.

Don't give me shit about not wearing my seatbelt.

So all I need to do is find a single example of a US citizen being attacked in their vehicle where the seat belt inhibited their defending themselves and we no longer have to obey the seat belt laws either?

NCPatrolAR
12-11-12, 15:39
:meeting: Dont mind me......just conducting a zone check

RancidSumo
12-11-12, 23:55
All I have to say on the subject if I was a cop I wouldn't write people tickets for not wearing their seat belt because seat belt laws are retarded.

If it is acceptable for police to not wear one then I see no reason why I should have to either but that isn't even the main issue. The biggest problem is that we keep passing all these stupid laws for no reason. The government shouldn't be in the business of protecting us from ourselves.

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 00:11
All I have to say on the subject if I was a cop I wouldn't write people tickets for not wearing their seat belt because seat belt laws are retarded.

If it is acceptable for police to not wear one then I see no reason why I should have to either but that isn't even the main issue. The biggest problem is that we keep passing all these stupid laws for no reason. The government shouldn't be in the business of protecting us from ourselves.

Insurance premiums and healthcare costs play the main role in seatbelt ticket laws. Thank your lawmakers for that.

AKDoug
12-12-12, 00:16
Last time I was "knocked the **** out" was when I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. Just sayin'.

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 00:18
Last time I was "knocked the **** out" was when I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. Just sayin'.

I bet you won't do that again. ;)

AKDoug
12-12-12, 00:20
Nope. Second time the same thing happened (car sliding out in front of me on ice) I had mine on and I was driving a semi. Even at 30mph it knocked the shit out of my chest.

SMETNA
12-12-12, 00:39
The biggest problem is that we keep passing all these stupid laws for no reason. The government shouldn't be in the business of protecting us from ourselves.

^ This

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 01:43
Nope. Second time the same thing happened (car sliding out in front of me on ice) I had mine on and I was driving a semi. Even at 30mph it knocked the shit out of my chest.

I've been in two car accidents (patrol car hit by somebody on their GAWDDAMN CELLPHONE) without a seatbelt ( more total, just two without being belted). It sucked. I knew the choice I made. It could have been a lot worse. I live with the pain of my decisions....my informed decisions.

One can argue all they want about seatbelt laws and how they are enforced. The fact is that traffic fatalities were exponentially reduced after the laws went into effect. This means lower insurance premiums for all of us. It's not like people are being asked to do calculus while they drive.

Have your license. Have your registration. Have your proof of insurance. And wear your seatbelt.

It sounds like the complaints about the seatbelt laws stem from laziness and not a "cry for liberty". Remember that driving is a privilege, not a right.

Hehuhates
12-12-12, 04:50
It sounds like the complaints about the seatbelt laws stem from laziness and not a "cry for liberty". Remember that driving is a privilege, not a right.

I'm not sure where "lazyness" comes in, but you said it best
"Don't give me shit about not wearing my seatbelt"
I guess police are just more" privileged" than the rest of us. I'm sure when I see police on their cell phone it's official bussiness, or maybe a safety measure.

CoryCop25
12-12-12, 05:15

Missed this one..... How about exit the vehicle and take cover from the bullets? Being injured and not being able to fight back may be a real issue but I would really love to get the hell out of the way!

I guess police are just more" privileged" than the rest of us. I'm sure when I see police on their cell phone it's official bussiness, or maybe a safety measure.

This is a perfect example of the anti cop stereotype I have been talking about. The reality of it is, you have no clue what they are doing.
Am I driving fast to a call where I really shouldn't be using my lights and siren?
What some people see is the cop is doing whatever he wants. The reality of it is he may be responding to a burglary in progress where he doesn't want to tip off the bad guy that he is getting in the area.
I may be on my cell phone and getting updated information about the call I am going on.
What some people see is the cop doing whatever he wants.
The reality of it is he may be responding to a call of people loitering in a drug area and one person in the group has a scanner to hear police activity in the area.

There is a metric ton of assuming going on in this thread.....:rolleyes:

SMETNA
12-12-12, 06:47
Or maybe he's speeding to McDonalds before they stop serving breakfast.

J/K :lol:

Hehuhates
12-12-12, 06:52
Sw

......and your doing some of it. I have family in law enforcement and count several police officers as my closest friends. I also have talked to them on the phone while they were in their car on duty. I fully understand that I have no idea why an officer is on the phone or rolling through a stop sign at the time I see them. I also fully understand that officers can talk on the phone or go without a seatbelt whenever the hell they want.

RancidSumo
12-12-12, 07:51
I've been in two car accidents (patrol car hit by somebody on their GAWDDAMN CELLPHONE) without a seatbelt ( more total, just two without being belted). It sucked. I knew the choice I made. It could have been a lot worse. I live with the pain of my decisions....my informed decisions.

One can argue all they want about seatbelt laws and how they are enforced. The fact is that traffic fatalities were exponentially reduced after the laws went into effect. This means lower insurance premiums for all of us. It's not like people are being asked to do calculus while they drive.

Have your license. Have your registration. Have your proof of insurance. And wear your seatbelt.

Laziness? Give me a break. How about a consistent belief system and the desire to live my life without the government getting involved every step of the way. Not every problem in society should be solved with tickets and handcuffs.

ETA: Since you brought up costs going down I've got a question: If you get in a wreck (far more likely than a shootout requiring you to quickly exit your vehicle) and are thrown from the car since you aren't wearing a seatbelt, do you pay the medical expenses out of your own pocket or do we, the tax payers, cover the costs? I'm honestly asking as I don't know how it all works.

Belmont31R
12-12-12, 08:57
I've seen some real crappy driving by cops. Call it whatever you want but a few of them seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them. I followed one when I was about 16 who pulled a u turn across double-double yellow lines to go get some lunch at a Carl's Jr. The sad part is he could have gone 50ft up to a light and done his u-turn there which is what I did to see where he was going. That's just the incident that started me paying attention to how Leo drive on our roads.

I know...expecting cops to follow the same rules as everyone else is 'cop bashing'.

As far as driving being a privilege...so is being a LEO. I expect police to follow the laws everyone else has to otherwise they have no business enforcing them on others.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 12:17
Missed this one..... How about exit the vehicle and take cover from the bullets? Being injured and not being able to fight back may be a real issue but I would really love to get the hell out of the way!

This is a perfect example of the anti cop stereotype I have been talking about. The reality of it is, you have no clue what they are doing.
Am I driving fast to a call where I really shouldn't be using my lights and siren?
What some people see is the cop is doing whatever he wants. The reality of it is he may be responding to a burglary in progress where he doesn't want to tip off the bad guy that he is getting in the area.
I may be on my cell phone and getting updated information about the call I am going on.
What some people see is the cop doing whatever he wants.
The reality of it is he may be responding to a call of people loitering in a drug area and one person in the group has a scanner to hear police activity in the area.

I wonder how many people know that we have to have SUPERVISOR APPROVAL OVER THE AIR to use our lights and sirens for anything but a traffic stop or a traffic crash?

Even if it is an in-progress crime or one of my buddies is in a physical fight....if I don't have PERMISSION to run code....I'm forced to navigate "with due regard for the public", as fast as I can, to my buddy who is rolling around on the ground with somebody who may want to kill him.

I don't eat at McDonalds

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 12:18
Laziness? Give me a break. How about a consistent belief system and the desire to live my life without the government getting involved every step of the way. Not every problem in society should be solved with tickets and handcuffs.

ETA: Since you brought up costs going down I've got a question: If you get in a wreck (far more likely than a shootout requiring you to quickly exit your vehicle) and are thrown from the car since you aren't wearing a seatbelt, do you pay the medical expenses out of your own pocket or do we, the tax payers, cover the costs? I'm honestly asking as I don't know how it all works.

I pay. Then I get fired. Thanks for asking.

BufordTJustice
12-12-12, 12:27
I've seen some real crappy driving by cops. Call it whatever you want but a few of them seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them. I followed one when I was about 16 who pulled a u turn across double-double yellow lines to go get some lunch at a Carl's Jr. The sad part is he could have gone 50ft up to a light and done his u-turn there which is what I did to see where he was going. That's just the incident that started me paying attention to how Leo drive on our roads.

I know...expecting cops to follow the same rules as everyone else is 'cop bashing'.

As far as driving being a privilege...so is being a LEO. I expect police to follow the laws everyone else has to otherwise they have no business enforcing them on others.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk

No being an LEO is a burden. It's getting shot-at, punched, needle-poked, scratched by a guy with HIV/Hep, wrecked, dumped, rained-on, snowed-on, etc. for right about $18 an hour.

Yes, I choose to do it, but you have no idea what I do. Nobody get angry at people who work at restaurants who get free food. Nor people who work at hotels who get free room and board. Nor people who work at theme parks who get free tickets. Nor people who work for a manufacturer who get free or reduced price products.

If cops did get a "privilege", it would be violations of traffic statute in the course of our duties. And, since you don't KNOW what we do, ho do you know what is NOT in the course of our duties? Maybe the cop who swung a U-turn just got assigned a call (that will require 2 hours to complete) and hadn't used the bathroom in 10 hours (it's happened to me)? Maybe then his flippant little U-turn doesn't seem so dumb, does it?

This all comes down to people HAVING NO IDEA what is going on inside the car. At all. NO idea.

Another example: I was reported "speeding for no reason" the other day. I was actually running code with lights and sirens on a major highway to a robbery in progress. While hauling ass, a supervisor comes up over the air and downgraded the call...forcing me to turn my lights and sirens off IMMEDIATELY. Well, my car doesn't go from 115 to 65 IMMEDIATELY, so I blew past a guy, who subsequently reported me for "driving like an asshole".

He had no idea what was actually going on. Neither did my captain who fielded the complaint and chewed my ass without asking what was going on until days later.

This all comes down to you guys not knowing what we are doing. NO offense, but you just don't know.

Is there an occasional rude cop? Sure....we do hire human beings and there are jerks in every profession.

Safetyhit
12-12-12, 13:27
But of course I don't tell them about most of our struggles, example: I was reported "speeding for no reason" the other day. I was actually running code with lights and sirens on a major highway to a robbery in progress. While hauling ass, a supervisor comes up over the air and downgraded the call...forcing me to turn my lights and sirens off IMMEDIATELY. Well, my car doesn't go from 115 to 65 IMMEDIATELY, so I blew past a guy, who subsequently reported me for "driving like an asshole".

Buford you seem like a fair minded fellow well equipped to serve the public. But why do I suspect we are missing something here?