PDA

View Full Version : My Gen 3 Glock 19 is fixed! Woo Hoo!

brickboy240
12-10-12, 11:56
Well, I finally got the chance to run a fair amount of ammo through my troublesome 3rd gen Glock 19 last weekend and I really think it is finally fixed. This is great because I was never really cool about abandoning a platform I am used to.

My pistol:
3rd gen Glock 19 9mm, born on date of April 2012

Problem:
Brass to the face about 2-4 times every magazine...this problem did not show up until about round number 800 or so and was continuing to get worse.

Fixes:
Tried Apex's first round of Glock extractors but this made it worse. Sent it back and Apex sent me the new 3rd gen extractor. replaced that, along with the provided spring. Swapped the 336 ejector for 30274 and kept the stock LCI. Everything else on pistol is bone stock.

Ammo for test:
50rds WWB 115gr fmj
50rds Federal Champion 115 fmj
100rds Monarch (Privi Partisan - Serbia) 115 fmj
25rds Winchester SXT 147gr hollow points
25rds Hornady XTP 124gr hollow points

I literally took the pistol, all 5 of my mags and the ammo out back and ran one mag after the other. Did not shoot for accuracy, but more for function. Although, I was "minute of Coke can" most of the time, using a 6 o'clock hold.

I started with the Federal Champion and my one and only jam happened with this ammo. It was a sideways stovepipe in the first magazine. However, I sort of blew this off because I have found this ammo to be loaded fairly light in the past. After the one jam...all other Federal Champion rounds went right through.

All other ammo ran right through the gun with no stoppages at all.

The best part? I experienced NO brass anywhere near my person. All brass ejected at 3-4 o'clock and landed in a neat pile to my right and slightly behind me. Made it easy to pick up. My G19 now has the ejection habits of my 2 Gen 2 Glocks!

So a big kudos to Apex, as their extractor really has seemed to have fixed my Glock. This was not a huge test...but enough of one to know the thing is most likely fixed.

I will keep testing and really want 500 rounds plus through the gun before I begin carrying it or using it in a training class. However...until now...this Glock 19 NEVER ejected like this.

Just thought I'd post my results...yippee...my Glock 19 is finally fixed!

-Brickboy240

djmorris
12-10-12, 12:30
Don't get too excited. There's a strong chance that it's going to start doing the same thing within the next 400-1000 rounds, from what I've heard.

markm
12-10-12, 12:37
At some point we'll all be carrying S&W revolvers again. :mad:

C4IGrant
12-10-12, 12:53
Don't get too excited. There's a strong chance that it's going to start doing the same thing within the next 400-1000 rounds, from what I've heard.

With the Apex extractor in the gun?

C4

DreadPirateMoyer
12-10-12, 12:58

Only if you're using the stock extractor. The Apex is solid and won't wear nearly as quickly (if at all) as the turd Glock OEM extractor.

My Apex extractor is at 800 trouble-free rounds, with another 400 coming next weekend.

captdreifus
12-10-12, 13:03
Good to hear! I am waiting for an in-stock Gen 4 ejector...

C4IGrant
12-10-12, 13:14
Good to hear! I am waiting for an in-stock Gen 4 ejector...

Wait no longer: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APEX_G4_FRE

C4

brickboy240
12-10-12, 13:20
I doubt it will start doing this again later on.

Oh...and I did not have to "fit" my extractor. Just dropped it in and ran it.

Now...after another 500rds or so....it will be time to swap sights and add a few Vickers parts and I am done with this pistol and it will be ready for carry and training classes.

-brickboy240

Cosmo M3
12-10-12, 14:37
that's good news

my Gen 4 has 700 rounds through it with the Apex FRE with the non-LCI SLB with no problems

my Gen 3 has 600 now with the same setup. So far so good.

However, I think the Gen 4 extractor has retention on the rim of the brass than the Gen 3. Personally I'm thinking about getting a Gen 4 for the Gen 3 G19

djmorris
12-10-12, 14:40
With the Apex extractor in the gun?

C4

I was under the impression that the Apex extractor was about 50/50 success rate? Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just learning myself as I am paying off a 3rd GEN G19 at this point but I've heard from multiple people (IRL and here) that the Apex extractor did not resolve their problems. Perhaps their newest iterations resolve this completely -- one can hope.

Please keep updating us as you get more rounds down range because this is something I'll be doing myself shortly.

C4IGrant
12-10-12, 15:29
I was under the impression that the Apex extractor was about 50/50 success rate? Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just learning myself as I am paying off a 3rd GEN G19 at this point but I've heard from multiple people (IRL and here) that the Apex extractor did not resolve their problems. Perhaps their newest iterations resolve this completely -- one can hope.

Please keep updating us as you get more rounds down range because this is something I'll be doing myself shortly.

I have not heard this. I think the extractor in the GEN 4's pretty much nailed it and if the extractor doesn't work in a GEN 3, then there is most likely some fitting or some factory parts that need updated.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
12-10-12, 15:35
I've come to the conclusion that there are many extractor channels in Glock slides that are out of spec, ranging from "just barely" to "Did you even try?"

C4IGrant
12-10-12, 15:37
I've come to the conclusion that there are many extractor channels in Glock slides that are out of spec, ranging from "just barely" to "Did you even try?"

Could be. I would also look for a burr them as well that could screw with things.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
12-10-12, 15:39
Could be. I would also look for a burr them as well that could screw with things.

C4

Yeah, but a truly out of spec extractor channel is the one thing that I can think of that would effect an extractor design that we know to be in spec, and works. (IE: older extractors, and APEX units that aren't working.)

But yeah, it could be burrs too.

brickboy240
12-10-12, 16:21
When the first Apex Glock extractors same out....Apex admitted that they mostly tested it on Gen 4 guns.

They then went back and checked and yes...the extractors ARE different from gen3 to gen4 guns. They then set out to design a gen3 specific extractor.

The first extractor I got made the problem much worse, but I sent it back and when they got the first batch of gen 3 specific extractors done...they sent me one.

The gen3 specific unit is the one I am running and yes...it works pretty damn well if you ask me. From what I have read, some gen 3 Glocks need the non-LCI bearing to put more tension on the extractor but mine went in and held well with the stock LCI bearing and the Apex-provided spring.

-brickboy240

DocH
12-11-12, 23:18
At some point we'll all be carrying S&W revolvers again. :mad: This is prophetic.Glad I have a few...that is if we continue to be allowed to carry a gun at all.

duece71
12-12-12, 06:11
I have a somewhat related question to this whole Gen 3/4 extraction problem. I don't mean to derail, but at what point should I be seeing problems with extraction using an out of the box Gen 3/4 17 or 19? I am going to assume the problems start right away and get worse correct? If I don't see any of the storied issues within the first 1000 rounds, should I expect to see any problems or is it GTG? Thanks and sorry to hijack/derail.

ralph
12-12-12, 08:22
I have a somewhat related question to this whole Gen 3/4 extraction problem. I don't mean to derail, but at what point should I be seeing problems with extraction using an out of the box Gen 3/4 17 or 19? I am going to assume the problems start right away and get worse correct? If I don't see any of the storied issues within the first 1000 rounds, should I expect to see any problems or is it GTG? Thanks and sorry to hijack/derail.

Well, most people (myself included) started seeing problems starting around 7-800rnds and getting worse from there.Some folks saw problem right out of the box. If you've got over 1000rnds without any brass to the face, you may have a good one. However, I'd keep an eye on it

ralph
12-12-12, 08:26

You may be right..I think mine would fall into the "did you even try" catagory...Good thing I have a couple pistols as backups....

Dravur
12-12-12, 09:15
I carry a Glock 19 3rd Gen and never heard of this problem. Is this something common or just on a few guns?

This is the first I have heard of this.

ralph
12-12-12, 09:20
I carry a Glock 19 3rd Gen and never heard of this problem. Is this something common or just on a few guns?

Do a search..This is a well known problem, That as far as been peiced together to date, started in/about the 2009 time frame, Glocks made before '09 are pretty much good to go (or so it seems) after '09 you're rolling the dice..I'm not saying all of them are bad, But the chances of getting one that will work without problem,is somewhat of a gamble..If yours ejects cases out to the right like it's supposed to, and you have more that 7-800rnds on the pistol Great! you might be GTG, But on the other hand if you observe erratic ejection(ejecting to the left, up over your head, forward, to the right, just over you right shoulder)Watch out, it probably won't be long before you start getting hit with brass...

brickboy240
12-12-12, 11:20
One good reason why many have never heard of this problem is this: there is a large number of pistol buyers that buy a pistol...shoot it once or twice or maybe run a box though it at deer camp every fall and that is it.

If this is you...chances are you might not ever see the Glock extraction issue...ever.

Mine did not start doing it until about round number 800. Before that, ejection was weak but never hit me. If you do not shoot very many other pistols or shoot only a few times...you most likely will never notice this as an issue.

It is hard for many of us here to realize that quite a vast majority of people that buy 9mm Glocks do NOT shoot as often or as much as many of us do.

I am not a competitor, but own rural property and shoot there about every other weekend. So therefore, even though I am not law enforcement or a private security contratcor...I do run more 9mm through a pistol than do many casual shooters. I probably run at least 2-5 50rd boxes of 9mm, 40 or 45 through one of my guns every other weekend.

So I guess we have to take this into account: a large number of Glock owners do not shoot very often.

There are probably those that bought the later 3rd and 4th gen 9mm Glocks and had no troubles at all....got to take those into account as well.

-brickboy240

duece71
12-12-12, 13:21
Well, most people (myself included) started seeing problems starting around 7-800rnds and getting worse from there.Some folks saw problem right out of the box. If you've got over 1000rnds without any brass to the face, you may have a good one. However, I'd keep an eye on it

Just checked my shooting log, close to 1500 rounds through the 19 and only one to the head. The 17 has less than a 1000 so I will keep an eye on it.

Dravur
12-12-12, 18:18
aawwww, that may explain it. I have had mine for at least 8 years. I have shot 1000s of rounds through it and other than changing springs, have not done anything to the pistol.

It even still looks good :D

Cosmo M3
12-12-12, 20:02

you must have been out of touch for awhile

most recent Glocks produced within the last 2 years have been having issues

do a search

Dravur
12-12-12, 22:08
I guess I bought my Glocks long enough ago that mine are not in the problem area. I had heard a bit about the Gen 4s having problems, but I had not really heard about any Gen 3 issues.

I haven't done a ton of research on Glocks since I bought mine... cuz, they are Glocks lol. It's kind of like researching hammers.. I haven't bought a "new" Glock in years. I did put a threaded LW Barrel on a Gen 3 17 and stuck a suppressor on it, and that caused a couple issues, but I put different springs in and haven't had problems.

SW-Shooter
12-12-12, 22:46
Grant,

Do the Gen 3 Glock APEX have the LCI?

Thanks

brickboy240
12-13-12, 13:57
No they do not.

My gen 3 Apex extractor is like the 2nd gen extractors.

-brickboy240

JHC
12-13-12, 15:35
you must have been out of touch for awhile

most recent Glocks produced within the last 2 years have been having issues

do a search

"Most" is tough to measure. 8 of 8 of our Gen 4 9mms have run well, since 2010 with over 10K rds per year since then and several since 2010 Gen 3 also. Many sadly do not.