PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry options

crusader377
12-10-12, 14:06
I'm looking for a pocket carry pistol and wanted to know your thoughts on which pistol should I pick up. I currently carry a S&W 3953 but would like a smaller pistol for the quick trips to the store, summer carry, etc....

My initial thoughts are either a J frame, or S&W Bodyguard .380 or Ruger LCP.

I'm strongly leaning towards a S&W J frame 442/642 due to its proven reliability and better performance of the .38 special vs .380 but wanted other opinions/points of view.

fail wagon
12-10-12, 14:24
Kahr CM9 is a great choice, 6+1 9mm. overall smaller than a j frame in every dimension. I pocket carry mine every day in a .060 kydex pocket holster I made, although pjholsters.com and alabamaholster.com have great kydex options as well.

I shoved a j frame in my pocket at the gun store and it just didn't feel right. Plus 5 rounds of .38 compared to 7 of 9mm plus much easier reloads. It was a no brainer for me, and the gun is a great little shooter. Can be had in the $400 range

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/sirbikealot7/0B3CCEF3-0083-45AC-8BD1-59B44A3C653C-7018-00000713183359DF.jpg

Apricotshot
12-10-12, 14:28
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914

markm
12-10-12, 14:30
Anyone buying anything other than the S&W Shield is nuts in my opinion. I'd never pull out a .380 or .38 spl in a gun fight...

Even with the shield I'd be shittin bricks... but at least it's a defensive caliber weapon.

djmorris
12-10-12, 14:36
I chose Bodyguard .380 but markm hit the nail on the head. If you're looking for a CCW piece then the M&P Shield is pretty much the new standard, and it's priced accordingly. Plus, it's 9mm and not .380 :o

demkofour
12-10-12, 14:42
Kahr CM9 is a great choice, 6+1 9mm. overall smaller than a j frame in every dimension. I pocket carry mine every day in a .060 kydex pocket holster I made, although pjholsters.com and alabamaholster.com have great kydex options as well.

I shoved a j frame in my pocket at the gun store and it just didn't feel right. Plus 5 rounds of .38 compared to 7 of 9mm plus much easier reloads. It was a no brainer for me, and the gun is a great little shooter. Can be had in the $400 range

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, except mine is the PM9.
I will occasionally pocket carry my 442, but my 342Ti trumps that. But still the flat profile of the 9mm KAHR beats a revolver in almost all pocket carry applications.

fail wagon
12-10-12, 14:48
Anyone buying anything other than the S&W Shield is nuts in my opinion. I'd never pull out a .380 or .38 spl in a gun fight...

Even with the shield I'd be shittin bricks... but at least it's a defensive caliber weapon.

I chose Bodyguard .380 but markm hit the nail on the head. If you're looking for a CCW piece then the M&P Shield is pretty much the new standard, and it's priced accordingly. Plus, it's 9mm and not .380 :o

I agree as an M&P owner but the shield is too large for most people to pocket carry effectively. If pocket carry is your choice then the shield is not an option most of the time.

Beat Trash
12-10-12, 15:05
If my Shield will not fit in my pocket, my Kahr PM9 will.

I'm not a big fan of the 380. I own a J-frame 642. Great gun, but I like the 9mm subcompacts better.

For those quick trips to the store, it's a Glock 19 or an M&P 9c. Same gun as for those all day shopping trips. I could count on one hand the number of times per year that I leave my house with just a pocket gun. And it gets hot and humid around here in the summer.

A good holster and a proper belt will allow you to carry a more effect gun and free up your pockets for other things like spare change and car keys.

JBecker 72
12-10-12, 15:29

As soon as I can find one at a decent price, I plan on getting one.

crusader377
12-10-12, 15:38
I'll have to look at the Kahr CM9 as well. The shield no doubt is a great option but I already have a 3953 which I'm very happy with and although heavier, is similiar in overall dimensions. I'm really looking for something that I can just grab and go and not always have to belt up.

FlyingHunter
12-10-12, 15:41
My LCP is light, handy, and thus far reliable. The ergo match's my primary which is a G19, e.g. point and pull the trigger without magical safety switches etc...I like that similarity.

TMS951
12-10-12, 16:05
CM9/PM9

I love my PM9, but I wear it iwb at 3 o'clock. Idk for pocket carry, it does absolutely disappear and I forget it there.

CPR
12-10-12, 16:49
PM9 has been working great for me.

Suwannee Tim
12-10-12, 17:01
In the pocket, J frame or LCR. I have been packing in my pocket since '87. The 38 has the smallest print and you are all but guaranteed 5 shots. With a pocket pistol you are guaranteed only one shot. The autos I carried in my pocket were adversely affected by dirt, lint and trash. I cleaned them from time to time and I usually test fired them before cleaning. That test firing resulted in several malfunctions. If you do decide on an auto I suggest you also test fire after the pistol has been in your pocket a week, a month, two months.

Grizzly16
12-10-12, 17:09
I voted for and carry a 642 in my pocket for a bug occasionally. If pocket carry is your only carry I'd take a good look at the M&P shield as well.

demkofour
12-10-12, 18:08
In the pocket, J frame or LCR. I have been packing in my pocket since '87. The 38 has the smallest print and you are all but guaranteed 5 shots. With a pocket pistol you are guaranteed only one shot. The autos I carried in my pocket were adversely affected by dirt, lint and trash. I cleaned them from time to time and I usually test fired them before cleaning. That test firing resulted in several malfunctions. If you do decide on an auto I suggest you also test fire after the pistol has been in your pocket a week, a month, two months.

Regarding this, it is all but a REQUIREMENT to carry a pistol (or a 5 shot) in a purpose built pocket holster...
To not do this would be tempting the fates and just begging for Mr.Murphy to rear his ugly head :suicide:

Nephrology
12-10-12, 18:40
I vote the j-frame. While I have not given the Shield a look (none available and the budget is tight right now) I have become quite proficient with my little .38 and I find it is a perfectly acceptable everywhere gun. Before this little gun I never carried 2 guns at once - now it is fairly common. It also allows me to remove my primary when I am at home and relaxing - I have faith that my 5 shots of .38SPL should get me to a bigger gun no worries in my current living situation.

tb-av
12-10-12, 18:46
Regarding this, it is all but a REQUIREMENT to carry a pistol (or a 5 shot) in a purpose built pocket holster...
To not do this would be tempting the fates and just begging for Mr.Murphy to rear his ugly head :suicide:

I was talking to someone Maonday. He had an LCR. He wanted something truly a pocket carry, which many small pistols like the Shield or PPS are not.

Anyway he had this little holster thing with no trigger guard. I told him he was going to shoot himself. He said there was a little clip that attaches as well to cover front side of trigger ( ?? ). then he said how can a trigger "pull" when you retrieve the gun anyway. The pressure would be in the wrong direction. Then I explained to him things snagging the trigger going in not out or clothing etc. Hopefully he got the idea.

but I've come to believe that most "pocket pistols".. aren't. Not for me anyway.

Kyohte
12-10-12, 18:53
From experience, the J-frame is my preference for pocket carry - in a holster of course. Shootability of the revolver is key for me. I don't shoot micro-pistols well. A J-frame with .38 spl +P is a handful, but it's manageable.

How well you can draw (or conceal) a pocket pistol is very dependent on the type of pants you wear. It's certainly not the fastest or easiest draw method, and I've found that skateboard grip tape on the outside of the pocket holster helps some. Lastly, you have to ensure that NOTHING goes in that pocket until you need to draw your gun (keys, pens, hands, coins, etc).

zacii
12-10-12, 19:01
My first pocket pistol was an LCP, but it proved to be unreliable.

I replaced it with a S&W 442 and have not regretted it. It carries nicely in a Mika pocket holster.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

zac4551
12-10-12, 19:26
I had a sig P238 for a quick pocket gun when I didn't want to throw on the G27. I recently retired it for a sig P938 it is just slightly larger but still well within pocket carry size.

Ed L.
12-10-12, 20:36
IMHO The shield is too big for most pocket carry--the grip is too long.

556A2
12-10-12, 20:39
I pocket carry a G26.

Didn't find the Shield/Nano to really make that much difference.

Joe R.
12-10-12, 22:55
I have been carrying a gun almost daily for the past 26 years. I have tried several pocket size guns and always ended up back with the J frame for pocket carry. Until now.

I recently purchased a Kahr CM9 and am just about ready to relegate the J fames to safe duty. I had a PM9 a few years ago but didn't like how the top round in the magazine would walk forward under the feed lips while it was in my pocket. After much searching the past few months I decided to give Kahr another shot and purchased the CM9. Several folks I spoke with stated that the Kahr mags no longer try to self unload in the pocket so it seemed like a new look was warranted.

At this point I am well pleased. The mags do not seem to have the same issues as my PM9 mags did years ago, perhaps Kahr made some changes to the mag dsesign. Along with that the gun runs very well and is very accurate. Headshots at 25 yards are not an issue if I hold up my end. Yes, I'm aware that no "sane" person would attempt headshots at 25 yards with a pistol in a gunfight, blablabla. I consider the 25 yard headshot a pass/fail to establish if a pistol is accurate enough.

I wouldn't want to use the CM9 for a class as extended shooting was not entirely enjoyable. The frame seems to batter the first knuckle of my thumb, of course you mileage will vary on this.

For pocket carry I highly recommend the Safariland number 25 pocket holster. It's thin, light and holds the gun in position well. Spare mags just get slid into an off side pocket.

Hope this helps.

DocGKR
12-10-12, 23:13
Friends don't let friends use .380's......

I like J-frames as pocket BUG's, but the 9 mm Shield also works for me--note that neither 5 shot revolvers nor subcompact pistols are my choice as a primary carry weapon.

http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/11210263279258.jpg

DHart
12-11-12, 02:37
It is exceedingly rare when I can't easily pack a G19 under an untucked t-shirt or sweatshirt, even in the warmest weather. No problemo whatsoever to carry one of the best choices in a defense weapon under almost any circumstance.

That said, I have carried my PM9 in a jeans back pocket (a good quality long tail T-shirt easily covers this). And I recently picked up a SIG P938, which, so far, looks like it will turn out to be another excellent mini 9. Either of these mini nines make for decent, small defense guns, though the capacity is marginal. I'd much prefer my G19, G17, G30, or G21SF if bad trouble occurs.

When I wear a sweatshirt or jacket with decent pockets, I will sometimes pack a S&W Centennial-design revolver in that pocket. The internal hammer Centennial makes for a superb Defense option, as the gun can be held in the hand, ready and able to fire instantly, if need be, right through the pocket of the jacket at a dangerously-close assailant. This can be deployed just in time, when other carry options would not allow you enough time nor distance to pull a weapon from a holster and shoot quickly enough. If a seemingly harmless passer by gets very close to you and then suddenly is in your face and life-threatening, this firearm option is priceless. You can hold this weapon in your hand, inside the pocket, ready to fire instantly, or not, and never even reveal that you have it in your hand - worth its weight in gold, I feel. It also can be pulled from a pocket without snags due to the internal hammer and fixed sight design. I use a 642 in .38+P or a 640 in .357 for this role. Superb addition to a larger capacity semi-auto carry gun.

As others have mentioned, .380 is not an option, for me, either.

I'd say pack a G-19 IWB appendix in a minimalist holster generally speaking and if that's simply too much on some occasion, pack a PM9, P938, or similar in a pocket. Also consider a Centennial in a sweatshirt or coat pocket, in addition to the G19 IWB, when possible.

Suwannee Tim
12-11-12, 04:43

I have never used a holster. What specifically do you fear Mr. Murphy's law would inflict on me? An unintentional discharge? I never, never carry anything in my pocket with my gun. If I was carrying a pistol, something with a lighter and or shorter trigger pull I would be more concerned.

ImBroke
12-11-12, 08:26
Another vote for the CM9. Just a tad heavier than the Jframe/LCR but for me much easier to shoot accurately and quickly. Mine has been 100% so far with 124gr Gold Dots in standard or +P. As Joe R. says, it's head shot accurate at 25yds on an IDPA target. Though that's not something you're likely to do it shows that the gun is easy to shoot well because of the trigger and good sights. I've replaced my front sight with a Dawson tritium.

crusader377
12-11-12, 10:09
Thanks everyone for the help so far. After reading the feedback and doing some additional research yesterday evening, I think the .380 options are out. The J frame is still a possibility along with the CM9.

Thinking about it more, before I buy anything, I'm going to put more effort into the software solution over a hardware solution. My S&W 3953 which I like alot and works very well is still more capable than either the J frame or CM9 and I already carry it about 80-85% of the time when I'm out. I might just have to combat the laziness of not wanting to belt up and just carry the 3953 all of the time. Plus I save about $400 in not buying a pocket gun that could be used for something else.

Ick
12-11-12, 10:58
Bought a used Ruger LCP and went to the range. Failure to extract the next round four different times. It seems to me that this was someone's carry piece and may need a cleaning. Going to try some things and see if I can correct the problem.

Psalms144.1
12-11-12, 12:11
I've owned a large number of different "pocket" sized pistols over the years, and, if I had to pick just one right now, I'd opt for the PM9. The PM9 offers higher capacity, a more capable round, and vastly improved shootability and reload speed over any round gun, and it very competitive when compared to nearly any other "pocket" 9mm.

I love j-frames, and have several, but they've all been replaced by the PM9 for my primary BUG usage.

Regards,

Kevin

Big A
12-11-12, 14:28
I voted for the J-Frame because I own 2 of them. I don't consider them BUG's so much as GOM(Get Off Me) guns. I have no use for these .380's that don't seem to work and the round is just too whimpy for me anyway. I am in agreement with others here about these single stack 9's though. I don't have one yet but I am really interested in the M&P Sheild. My buddy has a Kel-Tec PF9 that has eaten 300 rnds with only 2 malfunctions. One failure to fire which we think was a dud primer or light primer strike and one failure to eject. He also just bought his wife a Baretta Nano which they both like but haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet.

lifewithoutparole
12-11-12, 18:11
I have a Sig P938 in a nemisis pocket holster..fits well in my jeans and cargo pants and it shoots well too.

Guinnessman
12-11-12, 18:27
For pocket carry, I bought a Kahr PM9 at the end of last summer. I have not had to chance to shoot it much, but so far, so good.

The only malfunctions that occurred happened while doing some WHO/SHO drills. My thumb was hitting the slide during recoil and I induced a couple of FTE's. After recreating the stoppages and adjusting my grip, the gun has been fine ever since.

This is the smallest gun that I personally would attempt to carry. If it were any smaller it would be too small for my hands. The gun conceals well and the trigger is long but smooth.

davebee456
12-11-12, 19:00
I just bought a Kahr CM9 last week,
Love it so far...
I went through 150 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ
and 10 Speer Gold Dot 124gr in one range session, shot groups great maybe even better than my Glock 19 :mad:

even though I have only had a 642, LCP and Kel Tec (CRAP) I am very impressed !!!

It might be the perfect Pocket or Slim Discreet carry when not carry a G19 or G30

darr3239
12-11-12, 19:35
If I'm resorting to carrying in my pocket, I use a Keltec P11. It's 9mm, has functioned perfectly with the different types of ammo I've put through it, and it takes a 12 round magazine. Maybe other Keltecs aren't so good, but this one is good to go.

Jmacken37
12-11-12, 20:25
Kahr PM9 has been in my pocket daily for 3+ years. This gun allows me to carry 24/7. Great little gun. I've shot a CM9 and it is basically a cheaper version of the PM9 with an identical form factor.

krm375
12-12-12, 14:00
I have currently a ruger LCR 357, a ruger LCP and a GLock 26. My wife has taken my LCR as her own and in the winter I carry the Glock 26 under heavier clothes. The LCP is the Right size and weight for Beach weather and I can carry in shorts and a T-shirt. Does anyone have the Rohrbaugh R9 and what do you think of it? I would like to get a super compact 9 and the R9 seems to fit the bill. Downside it is Expensive, but what is your life worth?

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9?phpMyAdmin=ohYg-nCgDTLddyCqYCnbXGpet23

skydivr
12-12-12, 14:04
I have the Bodyguard. Fits inside a Desantis holster in my pocket well enough to get out fairly easy and doesn't print much. Can carry it most anywere without having to worry about it being noticed.

Not necessarily the most high speed or best approach, but the best gun there is, is the one you happen to be carrying at the moment you need it.....

Ick
12-12-12, 15:06
To tell you the truth, I am really having trouble being "satisfied" with carrying a pocket pistol. There just isn't much mass to the pistol and the feelings I get of carrying it for a few months now is that.... I feel like I am carrying an inadequate firearm.

I really want to believe that a pocket pistol is better than nothing... but I almost feel like I might as well carry nothing....

NavyDavy55
12-12-12, 18:17
I've carried a S&W 442 for the last few years.

Recently I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm and really like it too.

They both fit in my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, just not at the same time. :D

WARRIOR84
12-12-12, 21:11
I'm one of those outlaw XD owners, so I naturally went with a XDS. Mine shoots great and have never had a malfunction to date.

Sent straight from my mind to this forum.

skydivr
12-13-12, 10:59

They both fit in my Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, just not at the same time. :D

Your pants must be bigger than mine, my Shield is just a little too big for my pocket.

LMT42
12-20-12, 19:31
While a CM9/PM9 is easier to shoot accurately, I think a shrouded .38 has a couple of advantages. While bulkier, I find a .38 prints less in that it looks like a wallet and keys. It lacks a definite gun outline like a Kahr. I also think a .38 is more reliable on the draw from tight pockets since it's rounded and smooth. Plus you don't have to worry about a misfire. Either is a good choice. Just depends on which characteristics you place more value.

Regarding .380s, I think they have a time and place. Depending on your build, it can be hard to conceal a .38 or CM9 in shorts and a t-shirt. As far as the caliber not being big enough, we can agree to disagree. Shot placement is key IMO. There's no shortage of people who've lived after being shot multiple times with a 9mm and there's no shortage of people who've been killed with a single shot from a .22. The kid at Chardon High School killed three people with a .22 cal. pistol.

markdh720
12-20-12, 20:17
I currently carry a S&W 442 if I'm not carrying my G19 or G17. I hated it at first, but have grown to love shooting it. I consolidated all pistols to 9mm, but couldn't part with my snub-nose. Its extremely concealable and reliable.

I am currently eyeing the S&W Shield because it will soon be approved by my department, its 9mm like the rest of my pistols, holds more rounds and is comparable in size to the small revolver. Price is good and its in stock at the local shop.

It can't hurt to have both and have choices.

DHart
12-21-12, 00:28
I prefer not to rely solely on pocket-sized pistols, but when I do carry one, this little nine is turning out to be quite a great performer.

Manual of arms is much like a 1911... carried cocked and locked. Single action only. It's a bit like a Colt Mustang on steroids. Ambi-thumb safety, excellent target-type night sights.

The SIG P938 "Nightmare".

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/P1050999-Edit.jpg

Note the front strap checkering.... AWESOME!
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200176-Edit.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200180-Edit.jpg

And rear strap checkering. Superb night sights... very well done, SIG!
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200178.jpg

gunnut284
12-21-12, 10:14
I've never been particularly satisfied with pocket carrying and use it only for a backup or times when I just cannot carry something bigger. I have used a Keltec P32 (yes, mine actually worked but was still only a .32), a Ruger LCP (again, mine works great but is only a .380), a J-Frame .38 (good gun but it was a bit big/heavy in most of my pockets/pants) and now a Kahr PM9. The PM9 initially had function problems but, after a trip back to Kahr, has been perfect through about a thousand rounds. It also is a bit bigger and heavier than I would want to carry in my pocket on a daily basis but works for occasional use and is in a "real" defensive cartridge. I carried it around an amusement park all day yesterday and it was ok. My new Shield should be arriving today, I'll see how it compares.

SteveS
12-21-12, 10:40
I own both the Kahr pm9 {Which is a scary accurate} and the J frame 442 and as it is a matter of personal preference most cases . For me it seems the J frame fits in my front pocket with a speed strip in the watch pocket of my jeans works best for me. You probably have to go to a good gun shop that will let you try different models.

SteveS
12-21-12, 10:41

One in each pocket!!!!!!!:big_boss:

leonfi
12-23-12, 20:55
Colt mustang 380 if you have pants and a decent pocket holster. In the summer when options are limited I go with a NA arms 22mag. Less than ideal... but def better than nothing.

leonfi
12-23-12, 20:57
I prefer not to rely solely on pocket-sized pistols, but when I do carry one, this little nine is turning out to be quite a great performer.

Manual of arms is much like a 1911... carried cocked and locked. Single action only. It's a bit like a Colt Mustang on steroids. Ambi-thumb safety, excellent target-type night sights.

The SIG P938 "Nightmare".

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/P1050999-Edit.jpg

Note the front strap checkering.... AWESOME!
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200176-Edit.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200180-Edit.jpg

And rear strap checkering. Superb night sights... very well done, SIG!
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Daily%20Carry/ZC200178.jpg

I had one of these, but with a similar sized (maybe slightly larger - def heavier) Kimber solo. Smoother shooter and more accurate than I expected.

francis
12-23-12, 21:02

9mm is smaller than .38 special. Its more like .36 caliber.

tenthplanet
12-23-12, 21:12
I'm looking for a pocket carry pistol and wanted to know your thoughts on which pistol should I pick up. I currently carry a S&W 3953 but would like a smaller pistol for the quick trips to the store, summer carry, etc....

My initial thoughts are either a J frame, or S&W Bodyguard .380 or Ruger LCP.

I'm strongly leaning towards a S&W J frame 442/642 due to its proven reliability and better performance of the .38 special vs .380 but wanted other opinions/points of view.

The S&W Bodyguard 38 (same profile as a J-frame) is very nice for pocket carry. A Glock 26 can also work (it does for me), given the right pocket holster and depending on the person's build and looseness of clothing. My two cents :)

Trvlngnrs
12-24-12, 01:21
My PM9/holster fits in my Levi's front pockets, although it is a little difficult to draw quickly.

ryr8828
12-24-12, 05:25
9mm is smaller than .38 special. Its more like .36 caliber.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 38 special is also "more like .36 caliber".
9mm=.355
38 special=.357

9mm =more velocity, more energy.

acro
12-26-12, 12:20
springfields xds 45acp.

francis
12-26-12, 22:45
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. 38 special is also "more like .36 caliber".
9mm=.355
38 special=.357

9mm =more velocity, more energy.

.38 is larger. My point exactly.

i've never heard of .38 special not being a "defensive caliber weapon." that is truly a first for me.

DanjojoUSMC
12-26-12, 23:54
I still like .380 in tiny guns. Comfortable enough to practice and be able to put 4-5 rounds in a tiny hole very quickly at 7yds. Larger caliber in a true pocket size isn't very fun to practice with and the gun takes a beating - who knows when a problem shows up.

vodomagoo
12-27-12, 18:01
I pocket carry a pm9 and my 642. Overall even though the 642 is bigger it prints much less then my pm9 which always seems to have a gun like outline no matter which pocket holster I use in anything but cargo shorts. On the draw I perfer the 642 as well

ericridebike
12-27-12, 20:25
+1 for the LCP. It is perfect for pocket carry. I have a leather pocket holster for mine that has a snap on piece of leather that makes it print like a wallet. I carry it in my back pocket and almost forget it is there. The size makes it way more likely that I will actually carry it, especially in the summer when it is 90 degrees plus outside.

bobnieder
12-27-12, 22:55
Filled out the Federal and Maryland paperwork for a Shield .40 tonight for pocket or Pistol Wear carry in the warmer months (on vacation - not in MD). With 2 backup mags that's 22 shots in a legitimate self-defense caliber -- my peace of mind goes with this over .380.

ScottieG59
12-27-12, 22:59
My main pocket guns are a Kahr PM9 (9mm), a Ruger LCR 38 SPL +P or a Springfield Armory XDs (45 ACP). Each is carried with +P ammo.

The Kahr PM9 is very easy to conceal.

I have other pocket guns, like a Kahr P380 and a tiny Beretta 950SB, but they are rarely carried.

I like the Kahr because it is so much like a Glock. I detail stripped the slide to clean it better. Be careful doing it because you can have small parts launch under spring power. I found the area oily from the manufacturer and there were some small metal shavings left over from manufacturing. The PM9 works very well and is the easiest to conceal.

tnek
12-28-12, 01:29
Keltec P3AT for jeans/tighter fitting pants and a XDs for cargo pants. I have had a few Keltecs and like them. They NEVER fail and Im lookning fwd to a new XDs. I have tried one of them for a pocket fit and will try the Alabama holster kydex for starters. Maybe a Hedly clone for later. The XDs is so much smaller than I expected.

ScottieG59
12-29-12, 23:05
There are many good options on effective pocket handguns. My pocket guns are a Kahr PM9, Ruger LCR, Springfield Armory XDs (45 ACP), and a few others that get used less. They all have been great.

Some can pocket carry the M&P Shield or one of the baby Glocks. I tried with my Glock 27 and it was too thick.

If I carry IWB, I will carry my Glock 27 or 19.

I considered the Kahr PM40, but I never was convinced it would be better.

Also, be wary of some of the reviews you see on the web. A smaller handgun makes demands on the shooter. Sloppy and loose handling may work with service sized handguns; it will cause reliability issues with smaller handguns. People like to blame the gun and/or the ammo when it is the shooter.

Small guns prefer a firm grasp and rigid wrists. Many YouTube reviewers fail to do their research before posting.

a1fabweld
12-30-12, 00:31
I roll the LCP daily. I love it now but I hated it at first. You really have to want to get good with it because it doesn't come natural. At least for me. When I first got it, I put about 200 rounds through it & couldn't group for crap. I was about to dump it & I forced myself to give it another chance with another 300 rounds. I shot well with it from that point on. The trigger sucks & it's hard to hold on to. But if you learn how to shoot it, it shoots pretty well & very reliably. I'm shooting 102grn Golden Sabres now & it's good to go.

I am going to add an XD subcompact to my CCW this year though. Still gotta buy one though.

packinaglock
12-30-12, 08:53
I have a PM 9 that I pocket carry around the house and property. When I first got it about 5 years ago I would take it to the range and the thing was a tack driver. I bought some XS big dot sights for it and took it to a LGS to have them installed. When I picked it up the next day and hit the range my shots seemed to be all over the place. After a few more crappy range trips I stopped at a different LGS and had my old stock sights reinstaled. The thing still shoots poorly, I'm not sure if it's me (but I shoot it great when I first got it) or perhaps the first LGS maybe switched barrels on me? Could be he had a crappy barrel on one of his I don't know, but it still to this day drives me bat shit crazy. :suicide2:

skydivr
12-30-12, 10:53
Also, be wary of some of the reviews you see on the web. A smaller handgun makes demands on the shooter. Sloppy and loose handling may work with service sized handguns; it will cause reliability issues with smaller handguns. People like to blame the gun and/or the ammo when it is the shooter.

Small guns prefer a firm grasp and rigid wrists. Many YouTube reviewers fail to do their research before posting.

+ this. My wife has a hard time shooting my Bodyguard because she continues to limp-wrist it which causes misfeeds; she has no problem with my Glocks. I've had to work with her on tightening her grip/wrist/arm to prevent it.

crusader377
12-31-12, 09:03
Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions. The last few weeks sort of changed my CCW views and I think moving forward, I will keep with my S&W 3953 and I do have a M&P Shield 9mm on order which I should get any day now. I dropped the idea of picking up a J frame (too limited in ammo, slow reloads, and limited range) or a smaller .380 (poor round effectiveness, limited effective range, and low durability).

NoBody
12-31-12, 09:38
Thanks for everyones thoughts and opinions. The last few weeks sort of changed my CCW views and I think moving forward, I will keep with my S&W 3953 and I do have a M&P Shield 9mm on order which I should get any day now. I dropped the idea of picking up a J frame (too limited in ammo, slow reloads, and limited range) or a smaller .380 (poor round effectiveness, limited effective range, and low durability).

I think some folks are getting the reason behind a CCW confused. It's a self-defense weapon against criminals. It is not for combat or to stay in a prolonged gun battle. The J-frame and .38 SPL/.357 Mag are trusted combinations for reliably stopping the criminally minded. If you are planning for a prolonged gunfight (or combat) then I'd strongly recommend you carry your long gun! ;)

Despite what Hollywood portrays, criminals are not wanting to slug it out in a prolonged gun battle. Gunfire attracts the attention of police and gunshot wounds have to be reported by the hospitals to the authorities. A criminal is looking for an easy victim and not an armed citizen. He's not going to care if you have a Wilson Combat CQB (1911) with 8+1 of .45ACP or a S&W J-frame with 5 rounds of .38 SPL.

I recommend you spend more time practicing your draw from your concealed holster, dry firing, stress firing, and TRAINING with whatever your weapon is. If you're not practicing live fire in low light conditions and under stress then your not taking into account the conditions you're most likely to encounter.

BTW, Just a thought on the "limited range" mentioned by the OP. What distance do you think you really have to engage a criminal at AND have a real case for self-defense (and not endangering the public)???

Ick
12-31-12, 09:52
I am wondering how an adequate self-defense blade fits in to that thinking.

STL-TIGER
12-31-12, 10:09
Despite what Hollywood portrays, criminals are not wanting to slug it out in a prolonged gun battle. Gunfire attracts the attention of police and gunshot wounds have to be reported by the hospitals to the authorities. A criminal is looking for an easy victim and not an armed citizen. He's not going to care if you have a Wilson Combat CQB (1911) with 8+1 of .45ACP or a S&W J-frame with 5 rounds of .38 SPL.

I agree! Case in point I believe Retiree Samuel Williams was was rocking a .380 at the Palms Internet Café in Marion FL. I love watching this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMZbW2Q92MM

NoBody
12-31-12, 13:37
I am wondering how an adequate self-defense blade fits in to that thinking.

If you're asking me if I think a knife would be a suitable weapon against a criminal with a gun then I would say 99% of the time it is not. Remember, the bad guy is likely going to draw on you when he has the advantage of surprise and help is not readily available (e.g., you're in a back alley). The knife is a close quarters weapon and you have to make contact with the bad guy to play. Your street animal is probably in better fitness than you. He certainly is going to be more aggressive and used to using violence than your average civilian.

Most folks are not formally trained in fighting with a knife. At best, they have read an article or perhaps seen a YouTube video on the subject. I see a knife as primarily an awesome tool with a secondary function of being able to be used as a weapon. If you can carry a gun then you can usually carry at least a folder. However, the opposite is often not true.

A sub 3" folder is legal in most places that allow the carrying of a knife. If you cannot carry or have a gun legally (e.g., you're in Washington DC, but are not a resident) then a 3" knife is a better-than-nothing alternative (and legal even in DC). Keep this in mind though; physical fitness and self-defense training are something you can always take with you anywhere....along with your conditioned and well-trained brain. Even the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) cannot take those away from you. Don't knowingly put yourself in a bad situation....your concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit/license is not a free pass to being stupid and absolutely does not deflect bullets. :D

cny
01-01-13, 09:50
I have used a few different small frames for a pocket carry: SW J frame .38, Ruger LCP, Keltec PF9 and finally my current, SIG P238.

The J frame was uncomfortable for my in a jean pocket.

I loved the LCP, however...I had a few problems with the feed ramp and after sending it out to Arizona to be fixed it still had a couple issues so I got rid of it. I did not like the feel of the trigger and the sights left me wanting more. However it was by far the most comfortable pocket gun I have owned.

The Keltec PF9 was wonderful and dead on shooting wise. It was obviously a step up ammo wise, but it was just slightly to big for a pocket carry IMO.

I now have the SIG P238. The sights are great, the trigger is smooth and crisp and it is dead on when shooting. It is the perfect size for my pocket and it has a little heft to it so there is no snappy recoil when shooting down at the range. Not that that matters when used in a defensive situation, but you damn well better be proficient enough to put it on target if god forbid you ever have to use it. So having the little extra weight on it makes it more enjoyable to practice with ;).

jr1572
01-01-13, 10:38
I would like to try a CM9 or a Shield, but they both seem to be hard to find right now...

JR1572

STL-TIGER
01-01-13, 12:37
I found the Sig p238 had too many catch points / safeties for pocket carry. Otherwise the Sig p238 would have been my first choice.

NoBody
01-01-13, 13:28
The J frame was uncomfortable for my in a jean pocket.

Were you using a quality pocket holster meant for a j-frame with jeans that were approprite for pocket carry? Remember, we dress for the gun.

10-76
01-01-13, 16:25
638 Airweight, 6 of 1, half dozen...

bobnieder
01-01-13, 16:48
Sorry if my post about the Shield seemed to focus on the "gun fight" type of scenario because I emphasized having 2 - 7 round .40 cal. magazines for backup. My purpose for the backup mags is "what if" the situation didn' t fit the 3 second/3 shot pattern (I'm an old Boy Scout -- "Be prepared!").

The reasons I went with the Shield over my Full size for carry were very much because 8 rounds should be more than enough to resolve most legitimate self-defense situations, the Shield is highly accurate at close range, a natural "point and shoot" firearm, and the lighter weight and smaller size make it more comfortable for all day carry and concealment.

MJLman
01-01-13, 22:10
I roll the LCP daily. I love it now but I hated it at first. You really have to want to get good with it because it doesn't come natural. At least for me. When I first got it, I put about 200 rounds through it & couldn't group for crap. I was about to dump it & I forced myself to give it another chance with another 300 rounds. I shot well with it from that point on. The trigger sucks & it's hard to hold on to. But if you learn how to shoot it, it shoots pretty well & very reliably. I'm shooting 102grn Golden Sabres now & it's good to go.

I am going to add an XD subcompact to my CCW this year though. Still gotta buy one though.

Almost word for word my journey with the LCP. I recently ended the pocket carry and picked up a AIWB holster and love it. I carry a G19 when I can but with an LCP as a belly gun you can not beat its concealibilty.
Now once i stumble across the ability to shoot a Sheild I may have to reconsider my position.

a1fabweld
01-01-13, 23:38
Almost word for word my journey with the LCP. I recently ended the pocket carry and picked up a AIWB holster and love it. I carry a G19 when I can but with an LCP as a belly gun you can not beat its concealibilty.
Now once i stumble across the ability to shoot a Sheild I may have to reconsider my position.

I carry my LCP IWB mostly. But if I'm just making a quick trip to the store or something of that nature, I stick it in the 5th pocket of my Levi's. Right side front small pocket. The muzzle & trigger guard fully sink into that useless little pocket exposing only the grip.

cny
01-02-13, 04:58
I carry my LCP IWB mostly. But if I'm just making a quick trip to the store or something of that nature, I stick it in the 5th pocket of my Levi's. Right side front small pocket. The muzzle & trigger guard fully sink into that useless little pocket exposing only the grip.

I used to do the same thing. It was very comfortable like that.

Lost River
01-05-13, 11:28
Standing with your hand already in your pocket, with a full firing grip on your J frame Centennial has always been a great feature.

Weekly (on the job, working plainclothes) I talk to people with my left hand on my J frame until I determine if the are going to play nice or not.

Not very often, but every once in a while someone gets a very shocked look on their face. It is the (Where the **** did that come from?) look, when they decide to do something stupid. Partners later laugh.

It is the little things in life.... :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/002-6.jpg

davidz71
01-05-13, 12:04
I picked up a mdl. 340 357 mag. and carry 38+p Gold Dot Short Barrel in it. Scandian frame with blued stainless cylinder. I've always been a fan of the mdl. 19 and 66 but this seems so much lighter and snag free where the 2 1/2" 19 or 66 always had to be carried in a holster. I just stick this 340 in a jacket pocket if not wearing an IWB holster.

tnek
01-05-13, 12:46
I think some folks are getting the reason behind a CCW confused. It's a self-defense weapon against criminals. It is not for combat or to stay in a prolonged gun battle. The J-frame and .38 SPL/.357 Mag are trusted combinations for reliably stopping the criminally minded. If you are planning for a prolonged gunfight (or combat) then I'd strongly recommend you carry your long gun! ;)

I recommend you spend more time practicing your draw from your concealed holster, dry firing, stress firing, and TRAINING with whatever your weapon is. If you're not practicing live fire in low light conditions and under stress then your not taking into account the conditions you're most likely to encounter.

BTW, Just a thought on the "limited range" mentioned by the OP. What distance do you think you really have to engage a criminal at AND have a real case for self-defense (and not endangering the public)???

THIS! I dont look for a gunfight. IF I were a LEO Id still have a pocket type backup and I know the P3AT is a popular choice for that. Because LEO has a full size weapon when in uniform. IM looking to egress a bad situation. IM looking to stop a fight/argument and leave the area and wait for the good guys. When Im in public I am usually with family and the last thing IM going to do is engage in a stand up gunfight. Sure the armchair comandos will spout off about being ready for any situation but like you mention, the vermin on the street are not true well armed bad guys 99% of the time. A good 380 or compatct pistol will end the situation. IF you come accross someone in the 1% who is loaded for bear and ready to war YOU have screwed up most likely by not being aware and getting out of the area. IMO.

skipper49
01-05-13, 14:22
I keep several pocket carry options in my safe, but my two favorites are the Sig P-238 (like it so much I bought a second one) and the Ruger LC9. The 238 is an extremely easy gun to shoot well. I carry it in an excellent pocket holster from Ryan Grizzle, with a matching dual mag carrier in the off side pocket.
Lately, I've been carrying the LC9 more often, as it gives me a 9 that carries almost as well as the Sig. I have, and have had, several Kahr pistols and think VERY highly of them, as I do my J frames and baby Glocks. For me, the thin little Ruger is a pocket winner.
I might add that I carry all day, every day, and have for over three decades. I'm glad that the selection of "little" guns has never been better.

Skip

BlackViper
01-06-13, 12:22
I’m somewhat surprised that I never see the Seecamp pistols mentioned in threads like these. I always have one in my left front pocket, in a Milt Sparks holster, with a spare mag and my money clip. In addition, after trying many types of carry; ankle, IWB, AIWB, the best, most comfortable carry has been the Kangroo Carry shoulder rig. I can fit my Glocks, S&W Shorty Forty or Shorty 9, Sig P230 (not U.S. made) and a sweet shooter, or my current favorite a S&W 940 with Gold Dot +P ammo. Two reloads in moon clips are carried in a pouch on the opposite side in a pharmacy type pill bottle . TP added to the bottle to stop rattle. The 940 is outfitted with Crimson Trace grips and a nice trigger job.

BV

SunTzu
01-06-13, 12:52
I settled on a J frame. I work in a dusty environment which just adds to the pocket lint factor. I clean this gun more often because of this and hit it with air if needed on bad (really dusty) days.

Shao
01-06-13, 12:58
I settled on a J frame. I work in a dusty environment which just adds to the pocket lint factor. I clean this gun more often because of this and hit it with air if needed on bad (really dusty) days.

Large pockets have you must...

The only thing I ever carry in my pocket is a NAA mini-revolver in .22 LR. It fits nicely in most fifth pockets of my jeans and is unnoticeable. A true pocket pistol. I think anything larger should be put on a belt or ankle.

SunTzu
01-06-13, 13:09
Large pockets have you must...

The only thing I ever carry in my pocket is a NAA mini-revolver in .22 LR. It fits nicely in most fifth pockets of my jeans and is unoticeable. A true pocket pistol. I think anything larger should be put on a belt or ankle.

I have one of those, as well. Fit the tool to the situation as I'm in the field, office, traveling, meetings, etc., and that changes on a daily basis.

Shao
01-06-13, 13:17
I have one of those, as well. Fit the tool to the situation as I'm in the field, office, traveling, meetings, etc., and that changes on a daily basis.

I love mine... it's a 1 1/8" barrel and it's most accurate (at close ranges) with Aquila SSS 60gr (although I don't see how, seeing as
though neither the barrel length or twist rate would seem adequate
to stabilize them). With no rear sight, all of my patterns on paper are perfectly straight vertical strings that you could line up with a ruler. 5 shots usually end up in about a 8" straight line from 10-15 ft or so. Anyway, sorry to get off topic...