PDA

View Full Version : Does this A2 receiver look good?

machman72
12-10-12, 21:30
I have come accross this A2 upper. Does this look like a quality upper? Do you see any thing to be concerned about? I am considering purchasing it for $80. Thanks.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/thayerp81/2A706188-9910-4184-BAA7-6D7D36DA5A6A-1464-000002441E14141E.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/thayerp81/9EB47010-F0BE-4A73-9E85-77E2B27D991D-1464-000002441046D109.jpg[/QUOTE]

Dustin Cantrell
12-10-12, 21:59
Those pictures can't tell us much. You want it? Buy it. Pics don't tell much but I'd pay $80 for it if that's worth anything (probably shouldn't be worth anything).

machman72
12-11-12, 06:35
Those pictures can't tell us much. You want it? Buy it. Pics don't tell much but I'd pay $80 for it if that's worth anything (probably shouldn't be worth anything).

Thanks for the reponse. I don't know much about A2's. I wasn't sure if there were some odd ball A2's that were cheap castings or something.

markm
12-11-12, 06:50
Buy a USGI take off from here, Jackson... and live worry free...

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/m16-a2-upper-recei162.html

ra2bach
12-11-12, 08:11
since you asked about this I'll assume you don't have the knowledge or skills to install the missing forward assist. that's going to add $20-50 for parts and labor.

you can easily find a flattop upper for close to this price that you can mount optics to. I would pass...

Dustin Cantrell
12-11-12, 08:46
Thanks for the reponse. I don't know much about A2's. I wasn't sure if there were some odd ball A2's that were cheap castings or something.

I was curious about the forging marks on that receiver. I haven't been able to find anything about a "EM" mark. E MB is Emco/Mueller Brass. It's interesting that the E is set in and the M is raised. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can chime in and tell you who likely made that receiver. I'd probably be more concerned about it being in spec than who made the forging. Companies buy forgings and then machine them so who forged it might not mean much.

I picked up a FK marked (FN) stripped upper with rear sight assembly for $85 on Gun Broker that was advertised as being surplus Colt. It functions perfectly.

machman72
12-11-12, 09:23
Buy a USGI take off from here, Jackson... and live worry free...

http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/m16-a2-upper-recei162.html

Thanks for the link. I think I will pass on this now.

since you asked about this I'll assume you don't have the knowledge or skills to install the missing forward assist. that's going to add $20-50 for parts and labor.

you can easily find a flattop upper for close to this price that you can mount optics to. I would pass...

I actually do have the skills, knowledge and parts to complete the upper. I am building an "irons" rifle that will be used for 3-gun and carbine matches. I had decided to go ahead and build it on a flat top upper that I already have, but when I came accross this, I began entertaining the A2 thought again.

I was curious about the forging marks on that receiver. I haven't been able to find anything about a "EM" mark. E MB is Emco/Mueller Brass. It's interesting that the E is set in and the M is raised. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can chime in and tell you who likely made that receiver. I'd probably be more concerned about it being in spec than who made the forging. Companies buy forgings and then machine them so who forged it might not mean much.

Thanks for the info.

Iraqgunz
12-11-12, 12:15
If its marked FN/FK then its not Colt surplus its FN.

I picked up a FK marked (FN) stripped upper with rear sight assembly for $85 on Gun Broker that was advertised as being surplus Colt. It functions perfectly.

KrampusArms
12-11-12, 21:44
On detachable carry handles, (I learned from folks at this site) if the sight housing sit noticeably lower than the handle "body" you can bet its going to be a commercial variety, with out the proper height for f-marked FSB.

Im have no idea how true this is for A2 recievers, but could that mean or indicate this is a commercial type reciever? Bushmaster/RRA/DPMS etc?

If there is anything I stated thats wrong or innacurate, I will happily get back in my lane & stand corrected. Im not an expert.

markm
12-12-12, 06:57
I noticed that too. But I've never read/heard if that's consistent with aftermarket vs. real A2 uppers.

machman72
12-12-12, 10:29
I am pretty sure that an A2 upper should use the shorter non F marked FSB.

markm
12-12-12, 10:34
I am pretty sure that an A2 upper should use the shorter non F marked FSB.

No.. we're talking about that REAR sight housing in the picture above. It's not flush with the carry handle.

machman72
12-12-12, 15:05
No.. we're talking about that REAR sight housing in the picture above. It's not flush with the carry handle.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.