PDA

View Full Version : Which Remington Shotgun?

NightFighter
02-21-08, 19:14
I have read many opinions about Remington Shotguns. Seems the two most popular models are the Police version and the Marine version. The models I want opinions about are the XCS Marine Magnum and the 870P Max. I would also like to know if civilians can buy the 11-87 Remington Shotgun? :confused:

blackscot
02-22-08, 09:25
.....I want opinions about ......the 870P Max. I would also like to know if civilians can buy the 11-87 Remington Shotgun? :confused:

Re. the 870, mine is an Express, but ended up closely configured to the P. See:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10031

My experience with the 11-87 is as follows:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11524

No pic there, so I'm including here.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/11-87/synth_stocks.jpg

I'll be taking it to its first match (3-gun) tomorrow.

Buck
02-22-08, 14:24
I like the Remington 870 Police # 4888... That is a police receiver, a factory extension, 20 inch IC barrel with rifle sights, and walnut stocks... Then buy the Surefire fore end, a mesa side saddle, and a the speedfeed stock of your choice... If you want to get real crazy you could then buy the meprolight factory night sights, a Wilson jumbo head safety, and Vang's stainless steel magazine follower, and a MI rear receiver fixed sling swivel...

Just my .02

Buck

Then stock up on some Federal tac 9 buckshot with the flight control wads and some Winchester less recoil 1 oz slugs...

NightFighter
02-22-08, 14:46
Re. the 870, mine is an Express, but ended up closely configured to the P. See:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10031

My experience with the 11-87 is as follows:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11524

I'll be taking it to its first match (3-gun) tomorrow.

Thanks for the hyperlinks to the threads. They provided a lot of interesting reading.

NightFighter
02-22-08, 14:48
I like the Remington 870 Police # 4888... That is a police receiver, a factory extension, 20 inch IC barrel with rifle sights, and walnut stocks... Then buy the Surefire fore end, a mesa side saddle, and a the speedfeed stock of your choice... If you want to get real crazy you could then buy the meprolight factory night sights, a Wilson jumbo head safety, and Vang's stainless steel magazine follower, and a MI rear receiver fixed sling swivel...

Just my .02

Buck

Then stock up on some Federal tac 9 buckshot with the flight control wads and some Winchester less recoil 1 oz slugs...

I think I will first buy a good quality shotgun and learn how to shoot and use the shotgun first before I go adding extra tatical equipment. This will be my first and probably only shot, but thanks for the ideas. I will put then up for future reference.

blackscot
02-25-08, 07:11
Thanks for the hyperlinks to the threads. They provided a lot of interesting reading.

No prob. ;) I'm adding a post-match update to the 11-87 thread in a couple of minutes.

I think I will first buy a good quality shotgun and learn how to shoot and use the shotgun first.......This will be my first and probably only shot......I will put then up for future reference.

Looking forward to an update with whatever you end up with.

John Fettes
03-01-08, 10:37
There are commercial 11-87's and police 11-87's; you can buy what ever you want subject to any local restrictions.

I've had an 870P for about 32 years and it is highly recommended. I added a short stock, sling & swivels, and a bigger front sight bead. I have a factory +2 magazine extension, but it's not on the gun right now.

I used 870P's & 11-87P's on the job. They all worked well, with the exception of some of the reduced recoil loads in the 11-87P.

The Marine Magnum XCS looks like a good package. I do not know if the come with the locking cross bolt safety or not. If I bought another 870, this is what it would be if I didn't go with 14" barrel 870.

Good shopping!

John

blackscot
03-03-08, 06:08
........I used 870P's & 11-87P's on the job. They all worked well, with the exception of some of the reduced recoil loads in the 11-87P.........

From my recent excursion into the 11-87 world, there seems to be a large lack of understanding concerning the various barrel configurations for different ammo loads, specifically with regard to being either pressure compensated or uncompensated. It took me a couple weeks+ on the web here and elsewhere -- along with a couple of gun-store visits -- to get the full scoop.

To know anything about Remington semi-auto shotguns, "you need to get your mind right" on this.

RiverBend
03-10-08, 11:00
I have been using a Rem 1100 in 20 gage, youth model for IPSC 3 Gun competitions. The youth model was to allow room for another sissy kick pad to get LOP to normal for an adult.
I started with a 12 gage Rem 100 but slamming too many slugs didn't agree with my screwed up shoulder so I downsized to the 20.
I added a ten round mag tube and that little 20 will screams em out, it has yet to have a FTF or other hiccup.
Rem 1100's get a high from me.
Anyone needing a 10 round tube, any gage, PM me and I can make you one up, I'll just need your stock tube nut for the conversion.