PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint from a rifle

kgj1119
12-11-12, 16:45
This may have been asked before but I can't search. What is the easiest way to get paint off a rifle. I painted mine tan and camo. Just wanted to go back to black for a while

SOW_0331
12-11-12, 16:47
This may have been asked before but I can't search. What is the easiest way to get paint off a rifle. I painted mine tan and camo. Just wanted to go back to black for a while

Deet bug lotion.

kgj1119
12-11-12, 16:48
I need something to soak the who rifle in.

davidjinks
12-11-12, 17:05
Motsenbockers (Motsenbickers) I'm pretty sure it's bockers.

Get it from Lowes. Make sure you have good ventilation. It isn't killer on the fumes but they aren't pleasant.

I just did a rifle a couple weeks ago. The stuff is pretty amazing. IIRC it's environmentlly friendly and it has an organic zen or something.

I used chemical gloves (Thick rubber lowes blue brand) while using it.

Let the parts soak in it! About 2 hours and the paint literally falls off in gooey sheets. It's more beneficial if you have a pressure washer as that'll cut your time by 75%. If no pressure washer a good strong blast from a hose if not that then it's toothbrush time.

Dustin Cantrell
12-11-12, 17:28

Get it from Lowes. Make sure you have good ventilation. It isn't killer on the fumes but they aren't pleasant.

I just did a rifle a couple weeks ago. The stuff is pretty amazing. IIRC it's environmentlly friendly and it has an organic zen or something.

I used chemical gloves (Thick rubber lowes blue brand) while using it.

Let the parts soak in it! About 2 hours and the paint literally falls off in gooey sheets. It's more beneficial if you have a pressure washer as that'll cut your time by 75%. If no pressure washer a good strong blast from a hose if not that then it's toothbrush time.

Is it safe to use on plastic parts? If not, what is?

MistWolf
12-11-12, 17:35
I have soaked parts overnight in Pine-Sol to remove acrylic paints. It may also work on other types of paints. Pine-Sol was friendly to the few plastic parts I stripped. As always, test it on a small area before using

fixit69
12-11-12, 17:43
Airplane striper. That is a joke. Would probably melt plastic and remove anodizing.

Easiest thing I found what's mineral spirits but remove all plastic from rifle. Hell even brake cleaner has removed some paint. Do not try these things inside.

jaxman7
12-11-12, 18:02
Airplane striper. That is a joke. Would probably melt plastic and remove anodizing.

Easiest thing I found what's mineral spirits but remove all plastic from rifle. Hell even brake cleaner has removed some paint. Do not try these things inside.

Don't ask what happened when I was younger and decided to strip some paint off my sport bike's fairing........ And didn't have the low down on what aircraft remover did to plastic. :no:

-Jax

fixit69
12-11-12, 18:12
That stuff is evil. Stripped paint off a truck hood to repaint. Applied with chip brush. Even outside I was getting light headed. 8 min later water hosed it off. Bare metal.

Can only imagine what it did to your bike fairing, if any was any left.

SOW_0331
12-11-12, 18:21
I need something to soak the who rifle in.

Why? Put the bug lotion on, let it sit, come back later and whipe it clean.

Nevermind, you probably need a whole tub of something. I've never removed paint before or anything.

Magic_Salad0892
12-11-12, 18:38
More paint. Preferably black.

scoutfsu99
12-11-12, 18:50

Airplane stripper works just fine. You can't leave it on too long though. I've used it several times with nothing damaged.

davidjinks
12-11-12, 19:28
This is a sample of 1...YMMV

I submerged all pieces and parts into the paint stripper and have not had any issues with plastic being ruined.

The original pistol grip that I had was left in the tub of paint stripper for over 2 weeks (I got lazy and said screw it). There was no damage to the pistol grip (Colt A2) that I was able to see. It's still solid and has retained it's original color.

My KAC 200-600 BUIS were soaked for 4 hours with no damage to them at all. I also soaked my stock for 24 hours and there was no damage to the plastic. Of course the stock sucks when trying to remove paint!

Is it safe to use on plastic parts? If not, what is?

YardDogOne
12-11-12, 19:46
I use Graffitti remover, spray it on and wait for it to just start to dry and then wet it some more till it starts to bubble then hot water and a stiff brush

if it's really thick then some foamy oven cleaner and graffitti remover, the foam keeps it in place and wet

P2000
12-11-12, 20:34

That is what I used, along with a stiff nylon brush and some soaking time.

samuse
12-11-12, 20:39
Acetone works great on Krylon. Doesn't hurt plastic either.

I've used the Aircraft Remover and it works about as well as acetone but that stuff is just too mean for me. FWIW, it doesn't hurt Colt or Magpul plastic.

davidjinks
12-12-12, 06:39
Be very careful with the broad generalizations. Acetone will kill plastics. Not ALL plastics, but quite a few out there.

Always test a small area first before going all out. Some plastics are more resistant than others but not ALL plastics are made the same.

Acetone works great on Krylon. Doesn't hurt plastic either.

I've used the Aircraft Remover and it works about as well as acetone but that stuff is just too mean for me. FWIW, it doesn't hurt Colt or Magpul plastic.