PDA

View Full Version : Yote gun build

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 01:05
I picked up a Gen 2 chainsaw lower this summer simply for the fact that I liked the flared mag well and integral trigger guard (and yeah, it's a Noveske :D ). Had no plans for it other than someday it'd become another gun. So a couple weeks before the election, inspiration struck and I decided I was going to make a dedicated winter poodle shooter and paint it all up in white camo.

I lucked into a 18" 1-8 twist WOA match grade heavy barrel (middy gas system) at a gun show for $200 brand new, so that set the stage for the rifle length hand guard I got at the same show. I also brought my lower with to hand fit it to an upper - those fit snug even before the extra layers of paint.

Bought a A2 stock along with a MOE LPK, and BCG from PSA.

Added the p-series Nikon mounts and a Weaver V16 scope I had with ultra fine reticle to top it off, and I had a rifle.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/FishyJim/utf-8BSU1BRzAyMDcuanBn.jpg

Then everything got scuffed up and primed with Rustoleum self-etching primer (yes, I know it takes 3 weeks to harden), and if it wasn't such a minty green it might have stayed that color. It did inspire me to order my next LPK with the foliage green MOE Plus trim.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/FishyJim/utf-8BSU1BRzAyMTAuanBn.jpg

Instead of a white base, I went with camo khaki. While I was out after the leaves fell, I noticed that most of my trees are actually rather grey. Once I see how the khaki looks in the woods with snow, I'll decide what happens next with the paint scheme.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/FishyJim/utf-8BSU1BRzAyMzIuanBn.jpg

I'm keeping the two-tone look of the LPK, upper receiver parts, butt pad, barrel, and charging handle. I figured the paint would just wear off the little parts anyway so why bother.

Still haven't decided what to use for a muzzle device design. I'll make one for it once I figure out what I want to do.

Hopefully I'll get it to the range in the next week to sight in before the long weekend up north for Christmas.

Littlelebowski
12-12-12, 06:32
Nice and clean. Stock trigger? Looking forward to seeing the groups.

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 06:38
Yep, stock internals.

I've bent the trigger return spring legs, but haven't done anything to lighten up the hammer spring yet. I may end up polishing the sear, but I'm going to hold off on further mods until I put some lead through it and let things wear in.

Littlelebowski
12-12-12, 06:40
Good man. Stock triggers are fine once they break in.

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 07:03
I'm not a trigger snob despite my only bolt gun being a Cooper. The grit bugs me (it's distracting), but that'll probably go away on its own and if not I can fix it with a little rouge. I don't like super light triggers on field guns, but the Cooper's weight is actually what inspired me to make this one. That sucker is heavy when you have to hump it around in the woods.

I've got some 75gr Hornady match bullets loaded up waiting for me to hit the range, and 500 77gr SMK's coming on the brown truck tomorrow. Should be a good time. :)

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 07:11
Delete

Hehuhates
12-12-12, 07:13
It looks like you painted your barrel black. If so what paint did you use? Those 75's and 77's are gonna make a mess of those coyotes.

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 07:20
Krylon BBQ paint. I blasted it first so there's good adhesion.

I'm not sure what to expect with the yotes and these bullets. Will they even expand, or will they drill through them? I got them mainly for long range paper punching and gongs.

Ironman8
12-12-12, 07:43
INFO DELETED

I was trying to help you out with the info I just deleted, but the immaturity that you showed to the poster below was uncalled for. You no longer deserve the information, and should really think about what M4C is all about. Move your shit to ARFcom if that's your MO.

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 15:05
Yes, I hand load.

Dravur
12-12-12, 17:05
I did a Winter camo pattern once on a rifle. I started with a bright white base, with a dull finish, but then painted twigs on. Just a few. I loved it. If you dropped it into a snowbank, you better know where as it would disappear...

I got the idea off the Duracoat website. I liked their winter camo, so I did it myself.

As to a FH.... You need a suppressor for it... yeah.... Quiet Yote Whacker....

FJ540MN
12-12-12, 17:25
MN is libtarded. We can't use lights with anything but shotgun, no night vision in possession of an uncased weapon, and no civilian ownership of suppressors. :(

My winter camo is white with lots of twigs in tan/brown/black. It's extremely effective with snow, but sucks without it. My goal changed from making this a snow pattern to making it blend with my trees (I have a denseforest). If I could make the gun look like a fallen aspen, it'd vanish any time of year.

FJ540MN
12-16-12, 19:12
Got it to the range tonight.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/FishyJim/utf-8BMTM1NTczNzk3MTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

10 round group @ 25 yards. (indoors)

zeeshan
12-19-12, 04:43
I have a Remington 700 SPSV in .308 with a Nightforce Scope and I'd recomend it for this....

Not as fun as an AR, but its a tackdriver....

was shooting the target flippers at the 100 yard mark and some old guy asked if he took take a look... I said sure.. Handed it too him; while he was looking at it, I said feel free to take a few shots if you want and let me know what you think...

He shot it a few times, smiled and said I should be ashamed of myself, shooting this thing @ only a 100 yards is like taking a Nascar to a Go-Cart track to race... LOL....

FJ540MN
12-19-12, 05:39
I have a Remington 700 SPSV in .308 with a Nightforce Scope and I'd recomend it for this....

Not as fun as an AR, but its a tackdriver....

was shooting the target flippers at the 100 yard mark and some old guy asked if he took take a look... I said sure.. Handed it too him; while he was looking at it, I said feel free to take a few shots if you want and let me know what you think...

He shot it a few times, smiled and said I should be ashamed of myself, shooting this thing @ only a 100 yards is like taking a Nascar to a Go-Cart track to race... LOL....

I bet you have a small penis too. :rolleyes:

Ever seen what the pelt damage is on a yote with a .308?

I have a Cooper model 21 Phoenix in .25-06 but I only have a 6-18x40 Side Focus Nikon Buckmaster scope (not as glorious as a NF) that I can put 5 rounds into the size of my thumbnail @ 100yds shooting prone. There's no point in using it though, because the pelt would be trashed. ;) Not only that, it's freaking HEAVY and not fun to hump around all day, which is pretty much the definition of yote hunting. It's like golf with guns - lots of walking, not a lot of action.

Besides that, I have one spot on my property where I can actually shoot 100yds right now - everything else is dense woods and 60yds is about max effective range. You'd never get a bullet any further through the underbrush.

Littlelebowski
12-19-12, 06:20
I bet you have a small penis too.

Ever seen what the pelt damage is on a yote with a .308?

Come on, dude. Ease off the uncalled for negativity and show us what your build can do at a 100. Not everyone shoots coyotes for pelts.

FJ540MN
12-19-12, 07:10
Considering the guys first post is "Hey, I see you drive a chevy. You should get a porsche like I drive." I think I was pretty civil. :D

I'm in Minnesota. The only metro gun ranges that are 100yds are member only (I have 84 acres 2 hours away, so no, I'm not a member) and buried in at least 12" of snow.

I'm also waiting for some more toys to arrive before I head up north to my place. Maybe you can nag PSA to ship my upper and stock kits? :p

Littlelebowski
12-19-12, 07:50
I think he was just discussing things and wanted to plug his own build but wasn't beating his chest about it too much.

bigredneck61088
01-10-13, 16:45
Nice! That khaki is sexy, hows the weight with that heavier barrel? Still manageable offhand?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FJ540MN
01-10-13, 16:59
Since it's only an 18" barrel, the weight balances really well with a loaded mag. It's only slightly front heavy without a mag.

The White Oak heavy profile is also not quite as heavy as some other's I've had, so it's really not bad at all. I haven't weighed it, but it's probably not much over 8#. I should stick it on the scale.

ETA: weighed it last night and it's 9# on the nuts without a mag inserted.